AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-03, 11:28   Link #1661
KLGChaos
The Shermain

He has been giving us hints that there is more to Zen than meets the eye. However, the progress of the character is so slow and he never actually DOES anything to make him seem all that great, so no matter how much the author hints that he may be important, it falls flat. You can't just say "Oh, he might have an interesting future ahead", but never actually develop the character. In 30 chapters Zen has had ONE and only ONE moment of development, where he fought the King. That was it. Now what, we've got to wait another 30 to see something else?

If that's the case, the manga won't make it that far. I'll reiterate-- there's just so much Medaka that's she single-handedly ruined a good portion of the manga for a lot of people.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-03 at 11:38.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 13:12   Link #1662
gonzo562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
New rankings:
how many series are their in jump

are they like the bottom 5 out of 20 or something or like 10
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 13:31   Link #1663
Napoleon's Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Spoiler:
I actually think Medaka is an interesting character. She's just not supposed to be the protagonist. She's supposed to be weird compared to the other students, that's why it's boring to watch her fight a bunch of shonen stock characters. I just want her to stop messing around, beat down on the members of class 13, and have everything go back to an episodic school comedy.
Napoleon's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 00:47   Link #1664
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon's Hat View Post
I actually think Medaka is an interesting character. She's just not supposed to be the protagonist. She's supposed to be weird compared to the other students, that's why it's boring to watch her fight a bunch of shonen stock characters. I just want her to stop messing around, beat down on the members of class 13, and have everything go back to an episodic school comedy.
Oh, I agree that Medaka could be an interesting character, but as the main protagonist, she's boring. I expected her abilities to cause trouble that Zen and the others would have to fix, sort of like Haruhi. However, it's all about Medaka solving problems and when the person doing the solving can't really fail, it ruins it.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-04 at 08:40.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:11   Link #1665
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Here are the current Jbook rankings among the shonen jump series

1. One Piece volume 56
2. Bleach volume 42
3. Katekyou Hitman Reborn! volume 27
5. Nurarihyon no Mago volume 8
6. Toriko volume 7
8. Medaka Box volume 2
10. Ane Dokii volume 1
12. Naruto Kai no Shou
22. Akaboshi Ibun-Suikoden volume 2
27. One Piece volume 55
29. Naruto volume 49
39. Gintama volume 31
42. Medaka Box volume 1

You can't say Medaka Box isn't selling.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 02:35   Link #1666
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Here are the current Jbook rankings among the shonen jump series

1. One Piece volume 56
2. Bleach volume 42
3. Katekyou Hitman Reborn! volume 27
5. Nurarihyon no Mago volume 8
6. Toriko volume 7
8. Medaka Box volume 2
10. Ane Dokii volume 1
12. Naruto Kai no Shou
22. Akaboshi Ibun-Suikoden volume 2
27. One Piece volume 55
29. Naruto volume 49
39. Gintama volume 31
42. Medaka Box volume 1

You can't say Medaka Box isn't selling.
Well, at least this may give Nishio a chance to tell his story. I still think he needs to work on his pacing, not so much plot-wise, but with character and relationship (don't mean the romantic stuff, which would be nice, but just character interaction in general) development. He also needs to stop with so much random stupidness and work on his jokes. Some of it is funny, but most is a bit lame and feels like insanity without purpose (or humor).
Old 2009-12-05, 10:20   Link #1667
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

But for sake of argument, volume 1 selling well isn't a surprise. Now we have to see how volume 2 does because volume 2 will start having the chapters that people began to hate. Volume 1 has the earlier chapters and everyone liked those chapters they just don't like the chapters that come later.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 11:07   Link #1668
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amegashita View Post
But for sake of argument, volume 1 selling well isn't a surprise. Now we have to see how volume 2 does because volume 2 will start having the chapters that people began to hate. Volume 1 has the earlier chapters and everyone liked those chapters they just don't like the chapters that come later.
Well, the list I posted was notably highlighting Volume 2, this isn't final yet so we shouldn't make too many assumptions, but it's a good start.
Old 2009-12-05, 14:08   Link #1669
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Well, the list I posted was notably highlighting Volume 2, this isn't final yet so we shouldn't make too many assumptions, but it's a good start.
I agree it is a good start, especially considering Volume 2 went on sale the exact same date as Volume 56 of One Piece, which broke the all time highest record at 2 million and 850 thousands.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 20:01   Link #1670
Jourdal

Why do they always make black guys look like that in manga..he looks a bit like Bob from TenTen

And i haven't read the TL, just the Raw, but KLG..im interested in what you think about what's going on with Zen.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 10:39   Link #1671
KLGChaos
The Shermain

If there's one thing we can say about Zen, at least, it's that while he may seem to be weak, at least he'll never be on the level on the level of wimpiness that Kurenai (from Kure-nai) and Takeru (from Maken-ki) are. Those two are so pathetic that it's disgusting. I don't mind my action manga protagonists starting out weak and getting stronger (unless it's someone like Kosukegawa from Change 123 who isn't supposed to be a figher like the others are), but when that weakness is driven home chapter after chapter after chapter... let's just say I probably won't be reading either of those much longer. :P

At least Zen has an entertaining personality.

On another note, after reading 30's translation...

It seems each "abnormal" has a power of their own, besides their special skills. King has his command word to make people bow. Hard Wrapping has a "reflex" power where he dodges things and reacts without thinking-- his muscles moving before his brain can think. Unzen has extreme calculation abilities. Medaka... well, we don't know her power that well, but I'm thinking it has something to do with luck and probability.

Personally, I'm wondering is Zen has an ability of his own that we don't know about. As mentioned before, the number pad is reset to his birthday... Why? Why did it change to his birthday specifically when he was the next person who was supposed to go through the door? I'm wondering if Zen might actually be the reason why Medaka is on a higher plane of abnormal than the others. Maybe he has some influence on the events around him, though he otherwise appears normal.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-07 at 11:09.
Old 2009-12-07, 11:22   Link #1672
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Personally, I'm wondering is Zen has an ability of his own that we don't know about. As mentioned before, the number pad is reset to his birthday... Why? Why did it change to his birthday specifically when he was the next person who was supposed to go through the door? I'm wondering if Zen might actually be the reason why Medaka is on a higher plane of abnormal than the others. Maybe he has some influence on the events around him, though he otherwise appears normal.
Of course Zen does - his special ability is the ability to talk, and thats pretty good ability for a dog.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 12:05   Link #1673
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Of course Zen does - his special ability is the ability to talk, and thats pretty good ability for a dog.
He is even able to mimicry a human - from time to time

I looked at the raws and it seems author already started to salvage characters as abnormals. I expect Zen soon will be leveled up to rank of a special. At first there were 3 ranks: Medaka, Geniuses and Normals. When abnormals were introduced he at first pushed Medaka as above abnormals and now are turning anyone possible to be at least special if not abnormal. With abnormals there is no place for normals. At first Zenkichi was placed as one rank below his rivals and two ranks below Medaka. He is two levels below his rivals now, so author has to level him up.
There is one problem, probably author intended for Zenkichi to have rivals better than him. But Zenkichi is so pathetic so it's hard to imagine him to be a rival to anybody... I still have some hopes author will drop Zenkichi and will restart with Akune as potential love interest for Medaka (calling any of them "male protagonist" would be to generous). It would be easier than changing Zen from dog to men, but there are still some Zenkichi fanboys (I don't believe any girl could be a fan of such characters), and they will demand for Zenkichi to be "main" character in this series.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 12:31   Link #1674
Dark Mage

@KlGChaos, Kurenai Shinkuru isnt weak and much as I loathe Zenkichi, I hate Akune even more, that guy just rubs me the wrong way. I would rather have the King become Medaka's BF than see Akune get Medaka. Ofcourse, I still want Zenkichi tto redeem himself and get Medaka to love him back but please not that narcissit, arrogant, bishie
Old 2009-12-07, 13:01   Link #1675
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Normally we get a "bottom 5" but this time we get the last 6 series sans Jaguar. Medaka on the outside of those 5 looking in but it may also be that Nurarihyon no Mago is unranked because of the color and was just placed in its position.

Quote:
Bottom 6:
Medaka
Sket
Nurari
Hokenshitsu
Rilienthal
Ane

Last edited by Rejuvenation; 2009-12-07 at 13:39.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:38   Link #1676
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Hahaha, that was awesome. Reflex? What the hell? I love this manga. >_> I can't wait until the anime. XD
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:45   Link #1677
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Hahaha, that was awesome. Reflex? What the hell? I love this manga. >_> I can't wait until the anime. XD
Hey, it worked for Agon in Eyeshield 21.
Old 2009-12-07, 17:59   Link #1678
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
@KlGChaos, Kurenai Shinkuru isnt weak and much as I loathe Zenkichi, I hate Akune even more, that guy just rubs me the wrong way. I would rather have the King become Medaka's BF than see Akune get Medaka. Ofcourse, I still want Zenkichi tto redeem himself and get Medaka to love him back but please not that narcissit, arrogant, bishie
I wouldn't know about that. Every time I see Shinkurou fighting in the manga, he's getting his butt kicked... even by average people.

I also can't stand Akune. Arrogant characters have always rubbed me the wrong way.

I am beginning to wonder how long people will just bash the manga out of spite. It could do a complete 180 and become the greatest thing in the world and people would still rag on it just because they refuse to try and understand it. But, then again, that's why they're called haters... or fan boys if you're on the opposite side.
Old 2009-12-07, 19:20   Link #1679
Arturro

Quote:
It could do a complete 180 and become the greatest thing in the world a
MB in chapter 27 made a turn, maybe not 180 but at least 90. Just to go back on old track in next chapter...

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 21:51   Link #1680
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder how long people will just bash the manga out of spite. It could do a complete 180 and become the greatest thing in the world and people would still rag on it just because they refuse to try and understand it. But, then again, that's why they're called haters... or fan boys if you're on the opposite side.
Well who's fault is it that, that spite is there in the first place? As I recall people don't start hating something unless you give them a reason to start hating, and I can guarantee that that they didn't start hating the manga because they were jealous.

But on the subject of Kure-nai, Shinkuro, weak? What are you reading? If anything Shinkuro is to lenient and has a morally high standard, but weak? Ha ha, that's funny. (Not trying to sound mean, just so you know.)
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council