AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-09, 16:37   Link #181
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
It is easier to sallow for me because the presentation of her was that she was this ''alien'' force that talked little and was completely detached from everyone else. The story gradually started reveling that she might be a normal human over the course of the first half. Naoi on the other hand had little build up to his power revelation.

Also, I'm still unsure that she is human. for every time they give supporting evidence for that, I can't help but wonder if they are just red herrings. Until her past life (if she had one) is unveiled, I think it is too early to ''confirm'' anything about her.
I saw Naoi also having "supernatural" powers as yet another clue that Tenshi is indeed human, and that anyone can develop such powers given enough time and preparation. I'm sure we're going to get an explanation about them at some point. At least I hope so.

I'm wondering where the show is going to go now that the new "villain" has already been beaten. It would be stupid for them to fight Kanade again.
Old 2010-05-09, 16:56   Link #182
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

By the way, my point was that there is nothing supernatural about learning hypnotism. It's a realistically acquired skill, and can be learned by any individual who has enough patience and interest. Instead of comparing it to making guns out of dirt or Kanade coding her guard skills (both involve manipulation of tangible matter and/or energy), compare it to the SSS and NPCs learning how to use firearms, Yuri learning about leadership, Kanade figuring out how to creatively use Hand Sonic 1-4 to break the door, etc.
Old 2010-05-09, 17:24   Link #183
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^Why yes, but that doesn't mean Naoi learned or used realistic hypnotism. The glowing red eyes are enough for me to classify it as a supernatural skill in his case.
Old 2010-05-09, 17:38   Link #184
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Kanade figuring out how to creatively use Hand Sonic 1-4 to break the door, etc.
Using Handsonic V4 to break the door was Otonashi's idea, though.
Old 2010-05-09, 17:38   Link #185
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The glowing red eyes
Well, because real life hypnotism just does not cut it. And expecting anime writers to actually do research past their backyard is asking for too much.
Old 2010-05-09, 18:17   Link #186
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Oh, I accept that he has magical hypnosis powers, I saw him use them. I have a problem with how poorly executed and contradictory the whole thing ended up becoming.
You do realize that hypnosis relies heavily on the individuals mind. Ayato's words to Yuri was a trap all on it's own, by simply telling her what he was doing, her mind was already on her tragic past. Which is also why he didn't necessarily have to know about her past, although this was an exaggerated form of hypnosis of course.

Kanade's "Guard Skills" isn't any more believable than Hypnotism.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-05-09, 18:43   Link #187
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The glowing red eyes are enough for me to classify it as a supernatural skill in his case.
Doesn't have to mean supernatural. Death Note had crazy glowing eyes, lightning, flashes, and whatnot all over the place. That we the viewer saw them glowing does not mean they actually were to the other characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Well, because real life hypnotism just does not cut it. And expecting anime writers to actually do research past their backyard is asking for too much.
Research has nothing to do with it. You don't have to do research to realize that real life hypnosis doesn't make your eyes glow, so cut them some slack. This is anime. If a character has "hypnosis" as a power, you can expect some crazy things to happen, like giving people deadly happy thoughts by staring into their eyes for a moment. Maybe Naoi threw together some BS on a laptop to explain how to develop mind control hax, but who knows. Maybe it's all just handwaved under the rug, and not part of a strict underlying logical system.
Old 2010-05-09, 18:47   Link #188
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The color change is just to portray the power of hypnosis being activated. Necessity, for short.
Otherwise, we would just see Naoi staring at Yuri's eyes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-09, 19:31   Link #189
Farix

Quote:
Do you mean episode 3? epi 4 was the baseball episode.
Right, we know she can create things the same way the SSS do. I took that as in she fallows the laws and rules of that world and had no special privileges, not that she was human. see below for more about that

Problem with this: the show showed evidence to disprove that. We saw in episode 2 an example to support this when the Guild tried to build that cannon and how it back-fired on them.
I'm not sure I could call it disproof. More like the cannon was flawed do to the lack of technical knowledge and the fact that they never test fired it before. With trial and error, Guild would have slowly gained the technical knowledge and probably could made a perfectly functioning cannon.

And if Kanade must follow the same "rules", than her guard skills would be impossible. Hand Sonic V4 is further proof of that as it was meant to be cute instead of a practical weapon. Nor could Naoi/Ayato have created the detention center which Kanade and Otonashi were confined to. The door itself had its own version of "Distortion".
Old 2010-05-09, 19:42   Link #190
archer360360

Send a message via Yahoo to archer360360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The color change is just to portray the power of hypnosis being activated. Necessity, for short.
Otherwise, we would just see Naoi staring at Yuri's eyes.
Now it more like Geass I thought that more like geass cuz NPCs completely under his control, so, he can beat 'em up any time he want, remember the scene when Yuri caught him beat 'em but they didn't react, they're hypnotized right?
Old 2010-05-09, 19:54   Link #191
zero7

can't believe there's people who kills Yuri siblings with them being cute no wonder Yuri can't RIP
Old 2010-05-09, 21:02   Link #192
qwevfr

The prison scence with otonashi and tenshi tends bring them closer though not sure how will yuri react to this though since letting tenshi into the group is hard which makes otonashi in the spot.
Old 2010-05-09, 22:00   Link #193
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Naoi's hypnotism is not really contradict, but it's more like a poorly introduced event of Deus Ex Machina.

I means instead of Hypnotism, he could say "I didn't spend time to only build Tenshi prison, i also developed Guard Skills/ Resurrect/ Death summoning". It's still the same degree of out of places. At least they should make it look like some SSS members betrayed in the first half, leading to the trap of SSS. But actually they were hypnotized...or something
Old 2010-05-09, 23:09   Link #194
wingman32x

Good Episode. I knew something was up with the acting student council president. I like how Tachibana is integrating into the main cast. She's really been growing on me. What a lonely life she's been living. Seeing the SSS battered up like that was kind of depressing. The president's past was also sad. You can't really blame the kid for turning out the way he did. I liked what Otonashi said to him, though. Anyway, a good episode. I gave it an 8/10.
Old 2010-05-09, 23:37   Link #195
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Problem with this: the show showed evidence to disprove that. We saw in episode 2 an example to support this when the Guild tried to build that cannon and how it back-fired on them.
...You call that evidence, when it is the Guild at work? For what it is worth, the Guild wasn't shown as having more knowledge than SSS at all.
The fact the Guild failed to build properly a cannon doesn't mean anything.
That's like saying "since no one in my family can do X, since we are all humans, no human can do X either", which is a false syllogism.

Connecting the dots with non decisive facts is moot. Unless you have true evidence of this "rule", then an observation cannot be considered as true, and thus cannot be elevated as a "rule".

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Naoi's hypnotism is not really contradict, but it's more like a poorly introduced event of Deus Ex Machina.
That's no Deus Ex Machina.
Call that "sudden/random plot device" if you want, but Deus Ex Machina is arguably not even fitting that.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-09 at 23:48.
Old 2010-05-09, 23:54   Link #196
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Not really. It was already foreshadowed. For example, how did he manage to get all the NPCs to side with him, and obey him without question, even through acts that are beyond their normal programming (whereas with Kanade, some even object to her "no fun allowed" attitude)? How does he beat up NPCs without having them retaliate?
Old 2010-05-10, 00:19   Link #197
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
- What Tenshi do with her "Hand sonic" on under that rain screen? Probably beat up or block some NPC's shooting. Then her conflict between actually duty and following the acting president words.
...how are people still not getting this? There were students with guns. Did you think that Otonashi ran straight to Naoi without being shot? Kanade killed them before they could do anything, apparently she has no problem killing normal students.
Old 2010-05-10, 00:35   Link #198
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
...how are people still not getting this? There were students with guns. Did you think that Otonashi ran straight to Naoi without being shot? Kanade killed them before they could do anything, apparently she has no problem killing normal students.
Well.. I don't but a lots of people think so. Actually I myself also thought "Otonashi ran straight to Naoi without being shot" at the first moment when Otonashi punched Naoi

That's why i said they should put more screens of what Tenshi did (maybe accelerate up, make some cool blocking move or something). Or we can have Tenshi beat up all the NPCs and tell Otonashi to take cover, but he rush in instead.
Old 2010-05-10, 00:35   Link #199
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Mmm. It's obvious. There were bodies with the black jacket of usual students being shown in the same frame as Kanade withdrawing her Hand Sonic.
Old 2010-05-10, 00:39   Link #200
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

may be naoi is a fan of death note when he is alive, didn't they said that you can create anything from your mind in the world they are living in...
Closed Thread