AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-16, 12:24   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Penguin Drum - Penguin Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Penguin related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Mawaru Penguin Drum fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.
    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:19   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Man those penguins are such a nice distraction; they steal the show too much. #3 is the most funny and least destructive, while #2 you can't help but laugh at his idiocy. #1 is too much of a perv and needs to be controlled soon.

Kip kip kip...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-16, 19:52   Link #3
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I've had to re-watch scenes because I was too busy watching the penguins to pay attention.

And good lord, Esmeralda with the scalpel was just... creepy. Also, she apparently wears lipstick.
Old 2011-09-16, 20:59   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Man those penguins are such a nice distraction; they steal the show too much. #3 is the most funny and least destructive, while #2 you can't help but laugh at his idiocy. #1 is too much of a perv and needs to be controlled soon.

Kip kip kip...
Agreed. The penguins are great. Almost always comedy gold.

I particularly like how each penguin is tied to a human, so that if it's happening to the associate human its also happening to the penguin. That was particularly funny in Episode 10, lol.
Old 2011-09-17, 21:55   Link #5
Kyuu
=^^=

Invisible penguins. They can be perverts - 'cause they can get away with it. WIN
Old 2011-09-17, 23:13   Link #6
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

maybe it's just me, but i'm getting seven sins parallels with the penguins.

#1 as lust, #2 as gluttony and #3 as greed (especially if we play in himari's goal of being an idol, i.e. having it all. also flipping out over the ribbons which led to dire consequences, though that could be stretching it).

esmeralda though is a bit tricky, as i was originally going to state wrath but idk.

anyway, just throwing it out there.
Old 2011-09-17, 23:42   Link #7
hamstar
just passing by

I think it may be just me that thinks this but I don't think the penguins were needed at all. They take away from the seriousness of the show and their presence is not even needed for comic relief. At most, their presence is just filler that could be replaced with actual story content.
Old 2011-09-18, 00:57   Link #8
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Perhaps there is a deeper meaning to the penguin's existence, other than providing the occasional humor. But if there is nothing to them, it would be best if their 'distractions' get toned down slightly.

Last edited by KyriaL; 2011-09-18 at 01:28.
Old 2011-09-18, 11:58   Link #9
Kirarakim

I love the Penguins (all of them) and I don't ever want their crazy hijinks to stop because I think it adds to the creativity of the show. And I love the direction of the things with the humans happening in the foreground but then the silly things with the Penguins happening in the background.

That being said my favorite of the Penguins is definitely no. 2. He always has the best gags.

My favorites

* When it looked like he was going to save Ringo but went for the fish instead
* When he ate what came out of that frog (although that was sort of disgusting too)
* When he starting eating the sandwiches at the party and then we see he took 1 bite out of each one.
*Oh and his classic spraying of the Cockroaches.

He's the penguin with the less distinct design. but his personality makes up for that.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:23   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I sort of see the penguins as a physical manifestation of the subconscious mind of their human "master". They act out the impulses their human would, if not for their inhibitions and the rules of acceptable behavior.

And yes, like his human, penguin #2 is my favorite. He's a constant source of large laughs.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:37   Link #11
Spoonroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I sort of see the penguins as a physical manifestation of the subconscious mind of their human "master". They act out the impulses their human would, if not for their inhibitions and the rules of acceptable behavior.

And yes, like his human, penguin #2 is my favorite. He's a constant source of large laughs.
(@Guardian Enzo - love your Kitamura Kou gif by the way!)

Penguin 2 is definitely my favorite. He's hilarious - I've never seen any one kill bugs, and then lay them out in organized little rows. He's also the only one that has vices that don't seem to match up directly with his human master as of now. I bet they're hints to Shoma's personality that we haven't seen.

Penguin 3 Ms. San-Chan I always thought was kind of boring (except for the wigs) before episode 9. I wonder what else she has to hide.

I'm liking Esmerelda already "Kyu-HOO" She sure seemed to like Penguin 1 - and her sharpening that scapel was more than a little creepy. I hope we'll get to see more of her in action.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:42   Link #12
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
He's also the only one that has vices that don't seem to match up directly with his human master as of now. I bet they're hints to Shoma's personality that we haven't seen.
Nah Shouma is definitely a bit of a glutton. Although not as exaggerated as in the case of his penguin

I think this comes across a bit clearer in the novel

Spoiler for For Novel (no spoilers but just in case:

Although I remember in the anime Shouma seemed pretty taken in by Ringo's curry as well. It's been awhile since I watched that episode but as I recall he couldn't keep his stomach from rumbling.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:51   Link #13
Spoonroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Nah Shouma is definitely a bit of a glutton. Although not as exaggerated as in the case of his penguin

Although I remember in the anime Shouma seemed pretty taken in by Ringo's curry as well. It's been awhile since I watched that episode but as I recall he couldn't keep his stomach from rumbling.
I haven't read the novel, but true, after thinking, I can see the case for that - his stomach did growl along with penguin 2 when they broke into her house. and he did ask for food to go at Yuri's party.

But what about the exterminating bugs thing? And the OCD-ness of arranging the bugs in the pattern/taking one bite of each sandwich at the party?
Old 2011-09-18, 16:08   Link #14
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

They're pretty cute but if we were to transpose them into reality, I'd find it incredibly creepy. Actually, I don't trust them at all I wouldn't be surprised if they turn against their "masters".
For now they obey Himari, Kanba and Shou but what says they will continue? They're clearly think of the Princess as an higher master then them.

As for what they are... the past selves of Himari, Kanba and Shou? Sanetoshi's creations? No idea yet...
Old 2011-09-18, 16:20   Link #15
Forsaken_Infinity

Penguin #1 is the boss. Absolute pervert and that hat chase scene was epic too. But he doesn't seem too complicated - mostly a straightforward read. He doesn't seem to fear much and clearly cares for other penguins but he is also indecisive as hell - as seen in that roast scene - and I think that extrapolates to Kanba pretty nicely.

Penguin #2 is funny. Very funny. My favorite scene though was when he roasted #1 alive. He has a slightly murkier side to him than Shoma, what with the eating that Frog shit and killing roaches and what not, and I wonder if those are subtle hints at what Shoma has hidden beneath his caring family member facade. I definitely get somewhat sinister vibes from him.

Penguin #3 is kinda creepy imo. I say even creepier than Esmeralda because we already know what Esmeralda wanted and how her personality is. San-chan is hard to read - appears oblivious but clearly isn't. Seems to care for other penguins but not really. The expressions in episode 9 were absolutely hard to read too and while the other penguins were already sealed inside the boxes, she was running around reading memories and shit. I get pretty serious sinister vibes from her

Esmeralda is another easy read imo. Not much has been seen yet but I doubt she is all that complicated.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:46   Link #16
calorie

The penguins are cute 'n' all but I hate to see them get hurt!

It's quite unsettling because they don't seem to be able to yell or find a way out of it. They're like animated rag dolls which can however, still feel pain and other emotions.

Poor, stubby, helpless creatures
Old 2011-09-20, 20:02   Link #17
Kirarakim

Someone at a blog made a terrific connection to the penguins physical features (namely no. 1 and 3) and how they relate to Kanba and Himari

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Blog
Then you go deeper, deeper, and realize that each of the penguins are marked–#1 by a bandage (in the same place where Kanba would have been hit by the mirror had it not fallen on his father) and #3 by a ribbon (probably the same ribbon that indirectly toppled the mirror that would have hit Himari had it not fallen on her mother.)

Source

If the person who posted that is reading this I hope you are flattered that I quoted you.
Old 2011-09-21, 00:47   Link #18
YayPepsi

I love the penguins but my brain hurts when I think about them. XD For instance.. when they're interacting with objects in the physical world, how does it look?? Does it look like the item is floating? That would creep people out. Does the item disappear? It seems to be a combination of both. They also seem to have a physical presence, San-chan knocked over Ringo and that one girl thought Shoma was groping her on the subway...but then did she notice she was stepping on something that wasn't the ground? @_@ If she looked down, what would she see? Her foot floating?

This reminds me of Petshop of Horrors where the pets would interact with objects around them in their human forms while people around them just saw an animal. I had the same problem wrapping my brain around that. XD
Old 2011-09-21, 19:23   Link #19
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
I love the penguins but my brain hurts when I think about them. XD For instance.. when they're interacting with objects in the physical world, how does it look?? Does it look like the item is floating? That would creep people out. Does the item disappear? It seems to be a combination of both. They also seem to have a physical presence, San-chan knocked over Ringo and that one girl thought Shoma was groping her on the subway...but then did she notice she was stepping on something that wasn't the ground? @_@ If she looked down, what would she see? Her foot floating?
Hence, it is actually better not to think about these things and just LOL @ the gags.

Consider this thought: did the nurse feel that thermometer up between her legs? Oh baby, it's nice to think about that. Oh the heat!! XD
Old 2011-09-23, 23:06   Link #20
ele-ene-ene

sinister resemblance
I hope this means nothing

Spoiler for Esmeralda/Shoko Asahara:
Closed Thread

Tags
characters