AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-12-28, 11:20   Link #161
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Youtube also has official videos to many songs under Sony and other music companies.
However, there are mountains of cases involving AMVs taken down due to "infringement claims" by Sony.
That is just because sony uses bots that automaticly send a notices,they don t really care,I ve seen multiple occasions (including my own vids) where filing a counter notice worked (despite all the youtube warnings)
Old 2011-12-28, 15:24   Link #162
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
Netflix could corner the anime market easily.

Crunchyroll offers say $10 mil a year.
Netflix revenue is over $3.5 billion a year.

$10 mil would be like 0.2857% for them.

Let's assume there are 200,000 anime lovers. 200,000 x $7.99 x 12 months = $19.2 million a year.

It will be a battle between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime in the future for anime content.
Region locks and the rest of the planet might differ .... if the world stopped at the US borders that statement might have some merit but the US market is a shrinking part of the global demand for anime.

So far, every anime I've rented from Netflix has been English dub only.... which is an insta-fail. I do notice they're finally starting to offer a *few* foreign films in original audio with subs, but its live-action stuff.
Old 2011-12-29, 03:17   Link #163
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Region locks and the rest of the planet might differ .... if the world stopped at the US borders that statement might have some merit but the US market is a shrinking part of the global demand for anime.

So far, every anime I've rented from Netflix has been English dub only.... which is an insta-fail. I do notice they're finally starting to offer a *few* foreign films in original audio with subs, but its live-action stuff.
Netflix is available in United States, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

European expansion is put on hold.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 03:19   Link #164
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:

And how about the rest of the world?
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 05:01   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

In other words, this has no relevance for the majority of the planet... and Netflix is battling to keep from being squeezed out by the "traditional gatekeepers" in the regular movie spectrum. This is the WORLD wide web we're on... and, oh yeah... most of the US still doesn't have sufficient broadband capability for regular streaming which is why Netflix still has a physical DVD delivery side.
Old 2011-12-29, 12:30   Link #166
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Last I checked not all the content available via American Netflix was available through Canadian Netflix, and some of what was wasn't available until well after the American release. I imagine the difference between a Latin American and North American service would be much greater.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 03:33   Link #167
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Crunchyroll keeps on growing, now up to 200 000+ paid subribers

I'd be one if my region had access to more shows
Old 2013-03-23, 07:06   Link #168
Kirarakim

I pay for myself and a bought a limited one for my friend because I introduced her to a couple series (Chihayafuru & Shinsekai Yori).
Old 2013-03-23, 07:31   Link #169
Shyni

How many of these "paid" subscribers are just using "free premium membership" offers? I got two of them just this year.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 08:51   Link #170
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

All the "free" offers expire. You can sign up for 14 days then have to start paying. I suppose you can play whack-a-mole and create new accounts every time one expires, but that seems like a lot of effort to avoid paying $7/month.

Guest passes expire after 48 hours.

I've wondered how much the expansion into J- and K-dramas has stimulated subscribership. Those combined anime/drama subscriptions cost $12/month.

Considering that a full year at $84 would buy perhaps two or at most three DVD boxsets, it's a pretty modest price to pay to help underwrite the industry's productions.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 09:01   Link #171
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Considering that a full year at $84 would buy perhaps two or at most three DVD boxsets, it's a pretty modest price to pay to help underwrite the industry's productions.
They actually have a promo every December for a full year at $50 I believe. Well I forget how much it cost exactly but it was around that much.

Anyways I doubt they count the temporary free premium users in the count.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:48   Link #172
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
All the "free" offers expire. You can sign up for 14 days then have to start paying. I suppose you can play whack-a-mole and create new accounts every time one expires, but that seems like a lot of effort to avoid paying $7/month.
They expire, yeah, but I'm a little surprised I got two free 30-day memberships in under 3 months. (first one was emailed on Jan 14, the other one, which I haven't used yet was sent Mar 17) Does this happen a lot? It's not a bad thing, but I have to wonder if this affects their numbers in any significant ways.

Quote:
Anyways I doubt they count the temporary free premium users in the count.
I guess that is the logical assumption, unless their system doesn't know how to sort between free premium memberships and one that have actually been paid for.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote