AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you choose between multiple funsubs groups
I get the one the comes out first 26 23.01%
I have ranked all the groups and choose the one with highest rank. 48 42.48%
I check them all/most out and choose the best 42 37.17%
I wait and see What others say is the best 34 30.09%
I choose small files because they take less space/bandwith 4 3.54%
I Choose large files because I wannt the best encoding quality 20 17.70%
I like it RAW 12 10.62%
Other, please specify 5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-01-04, 18:45   Link #1
Knuckles

How to choose between multiple funsubs groups

How do you choose between fansub groups when their are more then one group subbing a series?

I would choose 2, 4 and 3 in most cases (in that order), and in special cases 1 and 5

Like option 3 is not so much trouble when there are 2-3 groups subbing a series.

Option 2 is ok when you have gotten pretty firm opinion on the groups that are subbing the series
or there are more then 5 groups subbing it, like with chrono Crusade and you do not have
the time or the bandwith to check them all out. But going by option 2 means you are less
likely to check out new groups.

For Example, with Tsukihime I went with option 4 and 5. In the sens that I heard that one group did a good
job and when I checked the files they where small so I had nothing to lose by downloading them.

I use option 1 when I am not sure if I am going to watch and just want to check out the first episodes.

Option 6 might be for people who want DVD quality or there is just lots of action in
the show so it requires extra space, like Gundam Seed, back in the day when it was
subbed some episode were much larger then normal because of the extreme mecha action .

Also another point is how easy it is to read the font (with softsubs you can fix it yourself).
We who watch anime on tv and not on computer screen watch anime form greater distance so
typeset and colors really matter. I can not (do not want to) really name any names
but there have been a couple of fansubs that I had to watch on my computer to read
the font, so I tend to avoid those groups.

Anyway, I just thought it was intersting to know how people choose between
fansub groups when there are many subbing the same series, and I would just like
to say that I am not asking which fansub groups is the best.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 19:40   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

I just choose the one i like, and not bitch about it (if I can help it). ^_^ No offense, but I don't bother with reading threads about other people's opinions what subs they like. I go with what I want to go with. =p
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 20:18   Link #3
GipFace

My method.

In order of importance ...

1. Other people's opinions
Why should I waste my time grabbing all the different groups' works when there are people like ultracarl who can do it for me? *hugz ultracarl*

2. Unknown/new groups
I always give them a chance. Who knows ... they might be good.

3. Reputation
There are some groups' versions which I will download over others, no questions asked.

So under the voting list, it's 4, 8, then 2.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 20:34   Link #4
lomeando

Of course, since you've self-selected for the people that will actually take the time to read the forums, this post doesn't accurately reflect the true distribution at all.

To get a much better idea, go find some series subbed by a large number of groups, and look up the download statistics on a.scarywater or what have you. You'll find that for episodes in which a group releases first, the number of downloads goes way up, often several times the normal number. Fluctuations of four to eight thousand are not uncommon in the first day alone.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 21:02   Link #5
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

First, if a group I know and like is subbing it, I choose that group.

If not, I read the AnimeSuki forums and see what people think.

If neither of those helps, I just choose the smallest group with the coolest name
Old 2004-01-04, 21:22   Link #6
Somedude

I put all of the group names in a hat and draw a group name from the hat. I needed one of those ten-gallon cowboy hats for Chrno Crusade though.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 01:20   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
GipFace, ultracarl's page broke my 33.6k modem lol

Anyways, if possible, I'll try to check out everyone's releases and if not, I'll have to look at other people's comments. Sometimes, the releases are just bad enough that I'll just stick to watching it raw (or if I'm too impatient )
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 09:23   Link #8
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomeando
Of course, since you've self-selected for the people that will actually take the time to read the forums, this post doesn't accurately reflect the true distribution at all.

To get a much better idea, go find some series subbed by a large number of groups, and look up the download statistics on a.scarywater or what have you. You'll find that for episodes in which a group releases first, the number of downloads goes way up, often several times the normal number. Fluctuations of four to eight thousand are not uncommon in the first day alone.
Well there are alot of people who do not care where they get their Naruto (or insert another cult series)
and also some get both the first release and from the favorite group if they are impatient.
I know, I wached Naruto episode 62 raw first

Also I am intrested to know if people here go with option 1 like "the general public"
(people who do not waste their time reading forums)
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 18:46   Link #9
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I just look for the best translation possible that vary from diffrent anime and fansub. Of cours you have to download diffrent subs to know. Just make shure you stick with the same group for a serie cause the names of special mooves and lots of things can be translated diffrently. Some time they just right the same as in Japanese and some other time they translate it words for words in english.. Go with what you prefer

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2004-01-05 at 19:13.
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 22:32   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

If who ever comes out with the series first does a decent job, I'll go with them. If they suck, I'll still download it to watch, but I'll download from the best group to burn to cd. I also try to download the entire series from the same group, since mixing fansubs often leads to a lot of wasted space on cds.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 23:16   Link #11
Forse
r00t for life

I download first group that does series I like

P.S. And I don't burn anime at all, I see fansubs and if I really like the series I'll get DVD
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 23:22   Link #12
7thMethuselah

basically i look at the following things and compare these between groups

1. font : it has to be easilly readable and i have to like the font style
2. names : the characters names or place names, some groups translate those in jap other in english, I choose the one I like most
3. translation : By this I don't mean the litteral translation or 100% correct translation of whta's being said (bc all groups deliver good jobs at that) but I prefer understandable and everyday english over weirdly contructed sentences just to make it closer to litteral translation. I also try to avoid groups that use excessive foul language (If I wanna hear that I can just turn on tv and watch any US show (no offense inteded)): the reason for this is that japanese is an extremely polite language and it just doesn't feel right if anime characters tart using the f-word and such.
4. size and speed: not the most important of all but don't expect me to wait for episodes 5 weeks after another group has allready finished it

5. I have a few favorite fansubs groups I prefer over others, they have a little edge although I won't always dl the series from them

6. And most importantly : If Lunar Anime subs it, I get it ))
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 15:46   Link #13
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
my page is not modem friendly, sorry LOL
no thumbnails, no nothing. It's all just "there"

anyways my method.
I stick with groups I know.

If ani-kraze is working on it. I stick with our version.
If triad does something, i'd stick with their version
and so on and so on.

but if I dunno any of the groups, I download all the versions (Hard Drive space permitting) and check out which one I like better (fonts, colors, video, blah blah), i stand contested with my page. It was supposed to be font/color/style comparisons. Exactly what it does for me

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 17:11   Link #14
Ulayo

Send a message via ICQ to Ulayo
Since the quality of the fansubs from a group can vary from show to show, I always check what group others say do the best job. (Like reading reviews, asking in the forums, etc).
I really can't understand those who download the first version that comes out. Because then there's a very big chance that you'll end up with a poor fansub, especially since there are groups out there who focus on releasing fast, rather than doing a good job.

My priorities in a fansub are: 1. Editing 2. Translation 3. Timing 4. Encoding 5. Font 6. Size
(I don't really care about the size, as long as it's not too small, since that will result in poor quality)
I also try to stick with one group for each show for consistency. Although if their quality starts to drop too much then I'd have to switch, ofcourse.

Oh, and 7thMethuselah, the things you mention about translation is really what the editors take care of, not the translators. Editors fix grammar, constructs the sentaces, etc.
Ulayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 18:07   Link #15
Lucky
Bored old member

Some time ago there used to be a group of people that called themselves "we-the fans" aka WTF. These guys used to review various fansubs for a while, but as time progressed, they lost most of the reviewers and site got taken down after not being updated for a while. Many of those that still do review, usually do it here. Granted there's not many of us who actively do fansub reviews, but we do what we have time for (meaning mostly the shows that we happen to really like). So for those that aren't interested in comaring themselves, or simply cannot download more then one version for some reason, it might be worth it to pay a visit and read the reviews/commentary. Chances are, the show you're looking for has already been reviewed and would give you at least some idea on what to expect form each release.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 18:28   Link #16
Lucier
Lunar Translator

WTF was grand... a great idea that died sadly =(

I've been to A-P's review forum before... and I'll admit a few ppl put good time into their reviews there (and some also do a good job!)... but there's some reviewers who are insane biast (I Know I read one reviewer refused to check out some new groups work, and only reviewed the big ones... and other such biasim...), thus I would not consider using any reviews posted there =/...

and I also hate the reviewers that based translation on editing... when they're totally different things >.<...
You can have a 100% correct translation, that's BADLY edited and makes no sense...
that's NOT bad translation, it's BAD editing...
(nothing about me, I just hate to see people cracking down on the wrong staff...)

The *best* reviews are the ones with little to NO comments (these are what introduce the bias)...
Just screen shots, with the *correct* translation, so the user can see the translation, edit, typeset and encoding quality...
When reviewers start "reviewing" something... their bias usually shows... and ruins the review. (Some reviewers do a great job, but alot have the bias problem...)
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 21:33   Link #17
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
I would just download the ones from the groups I know of, or groups that I've heard of. If I have time and I really like the anime, I'd get as many versions as possible... some groups are just REALLY hard to download from though. Then I'd base it on:

1) Group / translator's translation accuracy reputation (usually seen from screenshot comparison's like carl's)
2) Main ep typesetting (Can I read it?)
3) Karaoke timing/typeset (I always, always watch opening/ending)
4) Timing (do they scene-time or not?)
5) Editing (Any nasty obvious typos that even I can spot?)
6) Encoding / File Size (though usually everything looks the same to me)
7) Group's staff and what kind of people they are
8) Their distro power (no. of bots / bt seeds)
9) Speed of releases (don't care about this)

I'm usually not too concerned with speed of the releases because I really encourage quality, and not speed of fansubbers. Plus, I'm usually too busy to watch stuff right when it comes out, anyway. If the releases are fast and the quality is good, though, that's great.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 13:51   Link #18
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Heres the best way I've found

Step 1 - capture as many fansubbers as you can find
Step 2 - force them to watch every groups release of said anime
Step 3 - lock them in a room after done viewing and wait about 3 hr's
Step 4 - return to room and whoever is left standing after the war of ego's is the one!

I'm prob never gunna hear the and of this one....
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 14:24   Link #19
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
I stick to my favourite groups and if none of them are doing an anime I just ask around which one I should get.
LBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 15:14   Link #20
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Then comes the question of how you choose your favorite groups...
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote