AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-11-06, 06:03   Link #1581
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Would high development cost play a part in it as well?
Old 2012-11-06, 06:33   Link #1582
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Would high development cost play a part in it as well?
To add to what Znozzy has already posted (please correct me if I'm wrong):

IIRC, the original Gundam is supposed to be the very first EF’s MS which is build to surpass Zeon’s Zakus and other MSs. It uses beam saber and beam rifle which is more powerful than Zaku’s Heat Hawk/Rod/Axe and machine guns. So, Gundam is usually the pinnacle of MS technology during the time it was built and first activation. Later on, the enemies catches up and built MSs which are superior than the said Gundam spec-wise.

UC-wise, Gundam is also known as the one MS that can change the tide of war. It has the tendency to bring whoever the Gundam is fighting for to victory (almost like an urban legend or myth). It’s basically just one coincidence after another: the MC is an advanced newtype or gifted/talented pilot -> somehow/accidentally get to pilot a prototype MS called Gundam -> the pilot fights for the right side -> the pilot keeps on fighting and winning battle after battle and defeating enemy after enemy -> Victory -> the “Gundam” MS became a legend from time to time.

IMO, the technical definition of a Gundam in UC is really vague. You can modify a GM and replace the head with a Gundam head (with chin, v-fin, etc) and it can be officially called a Gundam like in the case of Hazel Gundams. On the other hand, a MS which is a direct development from an actual Gundam like Zeta Plus isn’t officially recognized as a Gundam despite all the similar spec it has with the original Zeta Gundam. So yeah, at the end of the day, Gundam is just a given name (by Bandai).
Old 2012-11-06, 12:31   Link #1583
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

IIRC, wasn't the Unicorn Gundam consciously named a Gundam due to morale reasons?
Old 2012-11-06, 18:55   Link #1584
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post

I dunno, if it was really better than why didn't Char's Gelgoog do better against the Gundam? Regular Gelgoog's also seemed to blow up far too easily in comparison to the Gundam. Though there's no denying the Gelgoog was far superior to the GM.
SPEC wise, and besides, protagonist armour is one, (origin doesn't count, and well Amuro died to Rick Doms) and Gelgoogs are NOT made from Luna Titanium, but it should be irrelevant as with beam weaponry, LT would still blow up the same.

I think another subject of this "gundam" debate is considering the Hazel. I mean, it is a GM quel with a gundam head, but do you count that as a gundam?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 18:56   Link #1585
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
IIRC, wasn't the Unicorn Gundam consciously named a Gundam due to morale reasons?
I kinda forgot. Maybe that’s the case. IIRC, the same thing also happen in Victory Gundam where the League Militaire called the Victory unit as “Gundam” to raise their morale and at the same time to intimidate the BESPA. The scared BESPA (especially Chronicle) refused to call Victory a “Gundam” (due to the “legend” that Gundam will bring victory to their enemy). That’s also the case with Hazel Gundams in Advanced of Zeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I think another subject of this "gundam" debate is considering the Hazel. I mean, it is a GM quel with a gundam head, but do you count that as a gundam?
Personally, I'm okay with Hazels being Gundams, just like in the RX-79 Ground Gundam's case which is almost the same. GM is derived from Gundam anyway. So, if they boost the GM's performance and replace the head with a Gundam head then, why not?
Old 2012-11-06, 23:44   Link #1586
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
SPEC wise, and besides, protagonist armour is one, (origin doesn't count, and well Amuro died to Rick Doms) and Gelgoogs are NOT made from Luna Titanium, but it should be irrelevant as with beam weaponry, LT would still blow up the same.

Uhh.. You do know that multiple MS use the name Hazel in that series, Right?

Are you talking about the RGM-79Q Hazel Reserve Unit? If you are it was reclassified as a Gundam later even though initially it was just there for spare parts.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 00:15   Link #1587
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, when's the next episode coming out? For that matter, what episode are we on?

I feel like I must have missed an episode or two, as it seems like forever since I've watched some Unicorn.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 00:16   Link #1588
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

He's talking about the RX-121 Gundam TR-1, which was basically a GM Quel with a Gundam-style head attached to test its psychological effectiveness on Zeon remnants, who at that point would be terrified to go up against a Gundam thanks to Amuro. In fact, the head was literally modified from the GM Quel's, rather than being taken directly from an RX-series Gundam.

That said, the GM Quel was developed from a long line of GM units, as well as both the RX-78-2 Gundam and the Gundam "Alex", and lead to the TR-1 [Hazel], which lead directly to the development of the Gundam Mk-II. So basically, a development progression of Gundam > MP unit > Gundam.
Old 2012-11-07, 00:37   Link #1589
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
So, when's the next episode coming out? For that matter, what episode are we on?

I feel like I must have missed an episode or two, as it seems like forever since I've watched some Unicorn.
Episode five was released back in May, and episode six (titled "The Sky and The Stars") will be released on March 22, 2013
Old 2012-11-07, 00:41   Link #1590
bio9205
Reborn

Ugh. The gap between episodes is widening, it started out with 8 months IIRC and now it's 10 months... I have this bad feeling that we'll see the final episode only in 2014.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:02   Link #1591
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Episode five was released back in May, and episode six (titled "The Sky and The Stars") will be released on March 22, 2013
Great, anyone wanna guess how long til Episode 7 hits after Episode 6?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 21:49   Link #1592
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Your guess is as good as mine. If I had to field an estimate for episode 7, I would offer a range: that is, the earliest we could expect it would be November 2013, and the latest would probably be May 2014.
Old 2012-11-07, 22:51   Link #1593
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Bandai will want to milk Gundam Unicorn for as long as possible. My money is on ep 7 not showing up till 2014.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 22:58   Link #1594
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ At least it will give Sunrise/Bandai some time to pick themselves up after tripped on AGE and think about the new Gundam series more thoroughly.
Old 2012-11-07, 23:13   Link #1595
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Bandai will want to milk Gundam Unicorn for as long as possible. My money is on ep 7 not showing up till 2014.
It makes sense. They're most likely trying to make up for the disaster that was Gundam Age.
AmericanFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:17   Link #1596
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
It makes sense. They're most likely trying to make up for the disaster that was Gundam Age.
I'm not worried about the quality in UC Gundam: they've consistently produced excellent episodes thus far, and the quality is reflected in the long production time
Old 2012-11-08, 01:53   Link #1597
bio9205
Reborn

I just remembered that episode 7's going to be longer than the usual 1 hour, which means a longer production time - seems like it's going to be 2014 after all.
Old 2012-11-08, 05:39   Link #1598
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
Pretty to sure in term of money. UC have Much more Profit than Age "Loss"

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 18:34   Link #1599
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I just remembered that episode 7's going to be longer than the usual 1 hour, which means a longer production time - seems like it's going to be 2014 after all.
Any source for this?

Bandai can milk any Gundam series, fine. As long as the standards set by Unicorn be kept.
Old 2012-11-08, 23:55   Link #1600
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Any source for this?

Bandai can milk any Gundam series, fine. As long as the standards set by Unicorn be kept.
I don't remember the source, but I definitely read that it's definitely more than an hour. I think it was announced together with episode 6.