AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-03-14, 18:59   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Has anyone ever subbed "Majokko Megu-chan"?

Sometimes I like to dabble in the classics, and I found a really awesome website called www.videx.jp that sells direct downloads of LOTS of anime (mainly older stuff).

Incredibly, it works for non-japan located people and you can pay with a good 'ole credit card, and amazingly enough, it's cheap! They let you download the first episode of almost anything for free, and then it's 105 yen per episode after that (that's about 95 cents). The files are WMV 9 and pretty decent quality especially considering the quality of the show itself isn't that great. (DRM'ed, though... but what did you expect?)

Anyway, I was curious if anyone (VHS or otherwise) had ever translated this show into english. After some cursory research, it seems it had a very successful run on Italian television, but I don't see any evidence of an english version or fansub at all. It's circa 1975 magical girl anime, though, so I guess that's not too surprising.

(I'm interested in the show because it's really the spiritual ancestor of Sugar Sugar Rune...)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 20:31   Link #2
Access

Not to my knowledge. I've watched the whole thing but unsubbed.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 20:35   Link #3
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Anyway, I was curious if anyone (VHS or otherwise) had ever translated this show into english.
I´m pretty sure that it was never fansubbed.
Would be a really, really good project for Arienai.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 22:22   Link #4
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru View Post
I´m pretty sure that it was never fansubbed.
Would be a really, really good project for Arienai.
I'm considering subbing about 5 episodes for historical reasons and then offering up raws to people. I personally do NOT have the time.

Plus, actually, I find translating anime that old incredibly difficult. The audio fidelity and/or acting makes it really hard for me to hear properly. If someone wants to send me scripts, though, I'd be happy to time/encode them.

It's 72 episodes, though. Not something I'd commit to. Especially since I have a built in time limit of september when my life will change drastically in one way or the other.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-17, 02:15   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Haha! Let me answer my own question:

It seems like about 4 episodes were translated by a VHS group circa 2002, http://www.destinyofroses.org/glass/Projects.html called "Garasu no Bara" productions, but it doesn't look like they ever finished a VHs master of them.

I tried emailing the contact, but the page is 5 years old and I doubt I'll get a response. Anyone ever heard of these people and/or know the contact info?

If there are really 4 scripts out there, I'd be happy to slap them on some raws and release some classic mahou shoujo .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-03-18, 08:44   Link #6
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
I'm considering subbing about 5 episodes for historical reasons and then offering up raws to people. I personally do NOT have the time.

Plus, actually, I find translating anime that old incredibly difficult. The audio fidelity and/or acting makes it really hard for me to hear properly. If someone wants to send me scripts, though, I'd be happy to time/encode them.

It's 72 episodes, though. Not something I'd commit to. Especially since I have a built in time limit of september when my life will change drastically in one way or the other.
If you just want to do some small section of it like 5 eps, I'd be able to help you out.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 01:39   Link #7
tyciol
*Artist

I'm also interested in seeing this series. Unfortunately the group called Destiny of Roses (Garasu no Bara) no longer seems to be at the site that Quarkboy linked. Hopefully their work can be relocated. If it is, I would love to see it listed on an animesuki tracker.

I did notice that the first episode of this has apparently been released by ARR: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=192814

Perhaps that could be a starting point to consolidate interest in locating the next 3 which are apparently already done, and then if Sylf/Boy still have interest in doing 5-9.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 05:29   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

if you had actually read the thread you'd have noticed that the only known translation of those three episodes were VHS fansubs from ten years ago, that couldn't be located at all even five years ago when this thread was posted. it is highly doubtful that the scripts even exist in separate form anymore, and if they do, good luck with contacting whoever is sitting on them.
e: looks like "they" (she) never finished the translation at all

also, I hear that once people claim on the internet that they will do something they are bound by that promise even five years later
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2012-04-17 at 05:41.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 07:32   Link #9
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I'll translate the show for $175 an episode as long as you promise to only use the translation for personal use and allow me to send the scripts to Toei.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-04-17, 17:44   Link #10
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
I'll translate the show for $175 an episode as long as you promise to only use the translation for personal use and allow me to send the scripts to Toei.
Wow, is that how much you get payed per episode? Or just a joke?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 21:47   Link #11
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Wow, is that how much you get payed per episode? Or just a joke?
It's a baseline, but that includes translation, editing, timing, and checking...

If you just wanted me to provide you a raw draft translation I suppose I could go much lower...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-04-18, 09:22   Link #12
Imako
Known Cyberbully
*Fansubber

Dropping by to say this is an awesome idea and I'd love to lend my eleet editan skilz should the need arise.
Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 03:06   Link #13
Inactive

Send a message via ICQ to Inactive
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
if you had actually read the thread you'd have noticed that the only known translation of those three episodes were VHS fansubs from ten years ago
If you had actually read his post you'd have noticed that 1st ep is subbed already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlrkbeO3GtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRs2Ghz02VA
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 18:14   Link #14
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
If you had actually read his post you'd have noticed that 1st ep is subbed already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlrkbeO3GtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRs2Ghz02VA
and (to continue on this amusing theme) if you had actually read and understood my post (and his) you'd notice we were talking about episodes 2-4 ("the next three"/"those three episodes"), not episode 1.

read > comprehend > post

(I'm sorry if I'm being rude; I'm still trying to recover from the shock of discovering that you people take anime so fucking seriously that you actually unironically want to watch a shitty magical girl fanservice anime from 1974 so much that you actually seem to be considering paying money for it.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2012-04-28, 14:32   Link #15
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

What's even more amusing/shocking is that it'd cost a cool $12,600 to get Quarkboy to translate the full series. That's a lot of moolah for some ancient fanservice.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 17:11   Link #16
DmonHiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
What's even more amusing/shocking is that it'd cost a cool $12,600 to get Quarkboy to translate the full series. That's a lot of moolah for some ancient fanservice.
Man, I'm in the wrong business.
Old 2012-04-28, 17:41   Link #17
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Man, I'm in the wrong business.
Think about how many man-hours of work it is to translate a 72 episode series from the late 70s with no script and maybe you'll reconsider...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-04-29, 02:21   Link #18
DmonHiro

Quote:
Think about how many man-hours of work it is to translate a 72 episode series from the late 70s with no script and maybe you'll reconsider...
That's a good point. I wonder how long it would take.
Old 2012-04-30, 13:16   Link #19
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
(I'm sorry if I'm being rude; I'm still trying to recover from the shock of discovering that you people take anime so fucking seriously that you actually unironically want to watch a shitty magical girl fanservice anime from 1974 so much that you actually seem to be considering paying money for it.)
And I'm sure you've seen enough of it to actually know if it's shitty or not...?
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 14:06   Link #20
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
And I'm sure you've seen enough of it to actually know if it's shitty or not...?
This is actually a pretty interesting post. Disregarding the somewhat nonsensical argument that you'd have to watch a show that is described as a "magical girl fanservice anime" in order to know that it is shitty (it's pretty much shitty by definition), there's the much more interesting subject of the general watchability of anime from the 1970's to deal with.

In anime, the 70's as an era can pretty much be said to have lasted between 1970 (Ashita no Joe, which is pretty much The Beginning of Anime) and late 1978 or early 1979 (Kidou Senshi Gundam, Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999; these all belong to the 80's more than they belong to the 70's). During this time period, about 150 anime series were produced for television. Today, about three (or maybe five if you're feeling really generous) of these can be considered to have been so influential or are so historically significant that they might be worth watching for someone who is a huge anime nerd, but you'd better bring a lot of fucking patience because most of them are really fucking boring, even to an interested viewer. Note that I said "influential or historically significant", not "good". They might have been A Thing at the time, but to a modern viewer they just aren't very interesting. At all.

Either way, Majokko Megu-chan is not one of those influential series, and thus, there really aren't any legitimate reasons for watching at all. [mod edit: removed attack] There are three thousand years' worth of literature out there waiting for you if human imagination is your thing, or fifteen billion light years of universe in any direction waiting to be explored if the wonders of nature is your thing.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-05-04 at 11:21.