AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 65 63.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 4.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.97%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-20, 22:34   Link #41
desrtsku
Nympholept

Ah ... Yuki, you died for the best ... *sob*
Old 2012-12-20, 22:37   Link #42
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I can't believe Yuki died. I was rooting for her to survive. It also appears that Makashima isn't the only one who can control his cc. Kogami's dominator gun didn't work on a criminal in the first episode as well, when they gave us a glimpse into the future.
About that, it didn't work at first. I think the trigger was locked, but when Kogami threw that guy out of the tower, it suddenly worked. I'm guessing that the tower interferes with the fields of the organisms insides, preventing the Dominator from scanning another organism's field, which is why it worked when the guy was thrown outside.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:03   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that sucks. Though I kind of figured Yuki would die considering who is behind this series. Generally figuring the worst possible scenario and expecting it helps limit the impact.

What a pain of an opponent. Certainly is the worst criminal the system has ever seen. One that can't even be touched by their top notch weapons. Though there's the problem. Take responsibility out of the hands of the people using the weapons and you turn the best weapon into a worthless hunk of metal.

Not that I think shooting him with the shotgun would have gone well. Let's face it the recoil on that thing would have made her more likely to hit Yuki than him anyways. Frankly think her best bet would have been to chuck the dominator at his head! A good concussion should slow him down a little. I suppose it wouldn't beat the system, but would have tried aiming at Yuki to at least unlock the shock mechanism then quickly change targets while firing. I figure someone that stressed out should be at the level of needing to be stunned.

Regardless Makashima's existence isn't that surprising. Like someone who can lie well enough to easily clear a Lie Detector. Or just being like a sociopath. There were bound to be people that system couldn't touch. The worse his actions the lower his crime coefficient went down.

Feel bad for Yuki, but even more so for Akane. While she is someone who can probably see outside the system, it's just asking too much for her to be able to gun down a criminal with a normal firearm. Just too big of a leap under too much of a stressful situation. I'm sure she'll be alright though. It was a strange meeting of two people who seem to always keep their Psycho-Pass clear as can be.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:04   Link #44
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ah, just when I was starting to respect Akane for her slow build-up towards challenging the status quo of this warped society she's blindly accepted prior to being on the front edge as a Protector, she turns out to be a weak shell of a human after-all.

I realize this death will be a catalyst, and when we're done with this series, this event will likely be looked back as what started Akane for real on the path to whatever she ends up being at the very end, but still...Akane, you are a pitiful human being at this particular moment.

May you grow into something less pathetic in the next 12 episodes.

Edit: I find arguments that using a real firearm is too much to expect from her to be hilarious, and seemingly missing the entire point of that speech and event. The damn dominator boils people into blood splatters. Silver-hair is right. People like Akane have given up any sense of self-determination by transferring personal responsibility to a machine. Here, in this moment, where she was given a chance to make a decision entirely on her own, with her friend's life on the line, she balked. I would be more forgiving if we were talking about making the choice between decaf or caffeinated, but this? If I was Silver-hair, I'd be disgusted and disappointed in Akane as well.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:17   Link #45
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
People like Akane have given up any sense of self-determination by transferring personal responsibility to a machine. Here, in this moment, where she was given a chance to make a decision entirely on her own, with her friend's life on the line, she balked. I would be more forgiving if we were talking about making the choice between decaf or caffeinated, but this? If I was Silver-hair, I'd be disgusted and disappointed in Akane as well.
She acted against orders in the very first episode,the girl can make decisions on her own.

You're acting as if she did nothing,as terrified as she was here she still made the decision and aimed and shot at him,she just had no idea how to shoot the gun correctly,if she did Silver hair would be dead.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:23   Link #46
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Ah, just when I was starting to respect Akane for her slow build-up towards challenging the status quo of this warped society she's blindly accepted prior to being on the front edge as a Protector, she turns out to be a weak shell of a human after-all.

I realize this death will be a catalyst, and when we're done with this series, this event will likely be looked back as what started Akane for real on the path to whatever she ends up being at the very end, but still...Akane, you are a pitiful human being at this particular moment.

May you grow into something less pathetic in the next 12 episodes.

Edit: I find arguments that using a real firearm is too much to expect from her to be hilarious, and seemingly missing the entire point of that speech and event. The damn dominator boils people into blood splatters. Silver-hair is right. People like Akane have given up any sense of self-determination by transferring personal responsibility to a machine. Here, in this moment, where she was given a chance to make a decision entirely on her own, with her friend's life on the line, she balked. I would be more forgiving if we were talking about making the choice between decaf or caffeinated, but this? If I was Silver-hair, I'd be disgusted and disappointed in Akane as well.
I think you are the one missing the point. There was no win for Akane in this situation. If Akane could have calmly aimed and fired with that gun he never would have thrown it to her. If she could have he would have killed her instead. This is someone who plays games with people, but never puts himself in real harm. There's a good reason Kogami believed he had gone to that professor's lectures to learn profiling. If it was someone he knew would be able to shoot him he would have used the shotgun himself to take them out.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to call her pathetic at this point. She's worked to expand herself and not just be chained down to the system and at the first bump in the road she's pathetic? Being able to calmly blow someone away in a stressful hostage situation with a gun she's not familiar with isn't something most people would be capable of.

Of course think this whole post is nuts. It's better to balk on a question of what to drink, but not whether or not to kill someone?
Old 2012-12-20, 23:31   Link #47
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Of course think this whole post is nuts. It's better to balk on a question of what to drink, but not whether or not to kill someone?
That's not the question though, because if the Dominator would have allowed her to pull the trigger, do you really think she'd have balked at killing him with it?

I think it's fine to consider her pathetic. It's obvious this is supposed to be her low point, a point from which she grows. I think it's probably silly to still consider her pathetic if she does grow from this, but I think it's even sillier to pre-preemptively think better of her than her current actions would allow.

Opinions towards things aren't absolutes that stand the test of time. As she changes, as a character, so too will my view towards her.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:37   Link #48
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I think it's fine to consider her pathetic.
"Pathetic" and "weak shell of a human" are not the same thing at all to me,I can agree with the former but not the latter,if you mean the same thing with both then I guess it's a case of miscommunication.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:40   Link #49
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I suspected this system would fail at some point, and Butcher didn't disappoint. I was rather hoping it would in some sense, since on a deep personal level I could never support a world without free will (which Sybil seems to anticipate in some way).

I wouldn't quite say this show is Madoka's spiritual successor, but you could somewhat tell the two shows were written by the same guy even if Butcher had used a pseudonym this time. Charlotte and the other Witches would have PP readings off the charts, while Kyubey would probably rate a solid zero. But we all know whom we would have more sympathy for... I kinda suspected something like this might happen ever since that rape victim's rating shot up in Episode 1. (Can't you now imagine Kyubey sitting on Makishima's lap like Ernst Stavro Blofeld's cat?)

Once again we have a conflict of unfeeling logic and reason versus unrestrained emotion and empathy. Obviously both can present danger to the general society.

Considering how Akane couldn't bring herself to shoot Makishima with the normal gun since Sybil was telling her he was "clean", I have a suspicion that she represents emotion in this drama, and Soul G...umm, Hue may get cloudy throughout the second half.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:44   Link #50
mistress_kisara

Man, I feel so bad for Akane she can't win against Makishima's mindfuck..goodbye Yuki I was hoping she would last longer..
Old 2012-12-21, 00:28   Link #51
Theo

-This is where the entire tone of the series changes, I guess. It was A New Hope with success after success up until about now; Echo Base is blown up and Han & friends have been captured simultaneously. We're going to be seeing the team isolated and picked off one by one.

-The "countdown" towards the execution was brilliant IMO. It demonstrated the flawed system and racked up the tension.

-Why do I get the feeling Akane will deliberately become just like our villain to defeat him?

-Were you clutching at your throat? I was.

You've come a long way from SPOOKIE BOOGIE and Tomatoes in a Blender, Psycho-Pass.
Old 2012-12-21, 00:32   Link #52
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
-Why do I get the feeling Akane will deliberately become just like our villain to defeat him?
It looks like people's suspicions about Makishima being beyond the limits of Sibyl have been confirmed with this episode.

It could be the case that Akane's clear Hue on the Sibyl system may be what will enable her to get revenge without suspicion from the system if that eventuates.

Last edited by jwai; 2012-12-21 at 01:32.
Old 2012-12-21, 00:35   Link #53
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Couple of questions that rises based on this episode development:

- Should the system be scrapped all together now that it is known people like Makishima can beat the Sibyl system naturally by their psychological make up? The benefit of that system has been tremendous for that society, but it isn't full proof.

- If the system should be kept around by the weight of benefit vs. loss, what kind of adjustment need to be made? We already have been observing flaws into the Sibyl System way before Makishima came into the picture through how the enforcers are elected/selected and how anyone with certain amount of Crime Coefficient has no room for reprieve if the Dominator indicates as such. Case in point, remember the victim in the first episode? Yes, the enforcers still have the option to press the trigger or not, but it really doesn't address the broader issue. Anyone and everyone is potentially can have lethal judgment against him/her without any reprieve. How they got to that point becomes moot once they reach the stage where they display high crime coefficient. No mercy.

Makishima is right about one thing that the Sibyl System has indeed stunned growth from certain viewpoints since it pushes individual for certain mental make up. While Akane is no Makishima, she is still good example of how the system is shaping new generation. His final comment to Akane was very interesting too when he said that only someone with killing intent can eliminate him. We know he can't be touched by the Sibyl System, so if he someone kills him by any other method, doesn't that person now has a judgment (probably a lethal one) by the Dominator?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ultimate decision on to how to judge a person is not at the hands of another person. People are needed to only press that trigger. It has it's drawback, and Makishima is the perfect example of it.

Btw, one little thing that probably is inconsequential to how the story may progress in future, but did anyone else notice that his crime coefficient number rose slightly before going downward? Does that mean it is indeed possible to push certain button to increase Makishima's crime coefficient to render any judgment against him by the Dominator?
Old 2012-12-21, 00:46   Link #54
Theo

^I like the themes about over-reliance on machinery to make decisions for humanity, from daily chores, clothes, to LIFE and DEATH. Cyborg guy was right all along.

So now Akane's opened up a huge can of Shitstorm. She might have three major foes working against her now: Makashima, people who know about Sibyl's weaknesses(if they ever find out), and the police itself, who'll silence her if need be.
Old 2012-12-21, 00:49   Link #55
MC117

I knew that girl was gonna get killed, I just knew it. I had a little hope for her to live but after I read about the writer of this series a few days ago I just knew that she was a goner. Makishima is an interesting villain though.
Old 2012-12-21, 01:05   Link #56
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Oh my God during Makishima threatens Akane , it's so scary. I thought it's my own throat he snapped. I'm still shaking and especially Akane's scream made me shiver. Great job on that!

Makishima's CC can drop into 0? That's just riddiculous. If I was Akane I will be frightened for sure. My friend is being threatened by someone who is judged good by Sibyl System I believed in for my whole life, how crazy is that?
Old 2012-12-21, 01:33   Link #57
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Eh, Akane really disappointed me this episode. She couldn't bring herself to drop the damn dominator and finish the job, not only knowing who the guy was and what he's done, but he was also about to kill your best friend. She just came off as incredibly weak and well, for lack of better word, stupid. Firing a shotgun wildly with one hand in the general direction of an innocent also wasn't the smartest move. Really makes me feel nothing for her.
Old 2012-12-21, 01:33   Link #58
Entravity

Akane will definitely learn from this and change the way she views the world. She'll have to change her naivety and herself to fight against Makishima.

Amazing tension, suspense, and atmosphere. Man, this week is awesome.
Old 2012-12-21, 02:00   Link #59
Theo

I'm sorry, but...
Spoiler for forgive me:
Old 2012-12-21, 02:07   Link #60
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

May be akane doesn't know how to use a real gun?
Closed Thread