AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-06, 16:21   Link #21
Zappster

I thought the subs were good, given the timeframe they were released in. I spotted an "a" missing from one line which was wrong as a result but that's very minor. Can't really recall anything else. The video quality was good enough for me although I'm not exactly the best judge on such things. Other stuff like karaoke looked nice. Overall I'd say it was about what you'd expect from SS and Eclipse given their past subs. That is, you can't really go wrong with them.

As for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it and I'm glad I didn't watch the original version of the show as things should all be new to me this time around which is nice. Maybe it's part of getting caught up in the hype, I'm not sure. All I know is it was quite entertaining, made me laugh(loved some of the little jokes and the interactions between some of them e.g. Yuuichi and Nayuki just before the OP played, pretty much the entire Yuuichi-Ayu section) and also hinted at more interesting things to come(or at least I would hope so). I liked the OP song too. There was a lot to like about it and not a lot wrong with it IMO. Definitely a keeper, judging by this ep.

There was only really one thing that I thought was a bit weird and that was the bit between 00:57-01:00 on SS-Eclipse's version. Hard to explain but I guess it was the transition from that one scene to a close-up of her face and then back again which I found a bit jarring. But it was pretty minor, all things considered.

Another thing that jumped out at me was when Nayuki's mum started talking, all I could think of was "OMG! It's Yawara!". Anyway... Looking forward to the next episode. As first episodes of new shows go, that was pleasantly surprising. If I were to rate it, I'd probably give it a 7 or an 8.
Old 2006-10-06, 16:52   Link #22
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
I thought the subs were good, given the timeframe they were released in. I spotted an "a" missing from one line which was wrong as a result but that's very minor.
Could you please tell me which timeframe it was? I'd like to correct the file on my pc.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:03   Link #23
Mentar
Banned

19:36 Are you collecting them as hobby?

Here, adding the "a" would certainly be better. Good catch from Zappster.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:07   Link #24
musouka

So Kanon...

Well, what can I say except that it reminds me of AIR.

The good thing about that is the mood, like AIR, completely swept me off my feet.

The bad part of it is the female characters, like AIR, aren't so much "characters" as they are one-dimensional things vaguely resembling females, with odd quirks for flavor.

Hmm, maybe that's unfair to say about the series since one episode has only been released, and I have no interest in playing the game. If there is deep characterization to be had, I look forward to it. If not, I'll probably end up loving it despite its flaws, again, like AIR.
Old 2006-10-06, 17:48   Link #25
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I miss the oversized frog clock. The cat clock just isn't the same. And frogs are definately more Nayuki.
Old 2006-10-06, 18:07   Link #26
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
19:36 Are you collecting them as hobby?

Here, adding the "a" would certainly be better. Good catch from Zappster.
Well, this is a bit offtopic but I'm surprised at what I managed to do. In 5 minutes with no previous MKV extracting/muxing experience I had the mistake corrected(now I can go and correct all my other subs with mistakes )...

Frogs ARE more like Nayuki, but I found it better when she gave him the cat clock.
Old 2006-10-06, 18:11   Link #27
Theowne
耳をすませば

Here's an opinion from someone who's never seen anything related to Kanon before this series.

The animation is of course great. I don't really like the main character's design though, it looks a bit dull. And all the girls look similar except for the colors of various features, like a previous poster said they look less like females then some weird entities resembling females....I'm also kind of put off by the extreme "cuteness" and youngness of the females, I mean Nayuki in the present and in the past flashback, aren't exactly too different. And the thing with Ayu spinning around to see her backpack and saying "uguu".....I don't know, I don't find that appealing.....but anyways, the eyes kind of bother me too. My other problem with this episode was the music. I know it's from the game, and everyone who played the game loves the decision, but frankly it feels very generic and simplistic, and the video-game-looped nature of it may work in a game but in a medium like this there is much more potential in using music along with the story. Then again, it's no worse then a lot of other anime. The exception being the music during the flashback at the end, which was nice for the scene. Anyways, I'm still going to continue for a while sicne everyone seems to reccomend it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-10-06, 18:35   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wah.... excellent start. Whatever happens with the other shows this fall, I'm getting a good feel that this one will carry it through.
Old 2006-10-06, 18:42   Link #29
LCeh

The art work in this show absolutely blew me away. KyotoAni did it again. I cannot believe the details done with the close-ups on characters.

The only thing I can complain about is that they look too much like the characters in AIR, and since I didn't like AIR that much, reminding me of that show is not so good for me.
Old 2006-10-06, 19:05   Link #30
flair627
asdf

Wow. Having never seen the original Kanon, i can't say which is better, but this episode was REALLY nice. Not to mention its a 26 episode series (correct me if I'm wrong) and the animation is beautiful.
One thing i really like about KyoAni is their great coloring and shading. The white and blue winter scenery looks like true art.
Old 2006-10-06, 19:24   Link #31
Mashimaro
q8D

Finally~
I'm expecting lots from this since Kyoto animation is working on it.
For some reason I like the part in the OP where I think Mai? and Yuuichi are running through the straw field.
Old 2006-10-06, 19:31   Link #32
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I liked the juice ad on the street car. I don't remember Ayu being so mind-blowingly cute in Toei Kanon... real moe overload when she was trying to look ah her backpack.

Last edited by Decagon; 2006-10-06 at 21:45.
Old 2006-10-06, 19:40   Link #33
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Holy crap, KyoAni didn't spare a single penny making this episode. I can't help but worry that, if they make all their episodes of this quality, they'll blow their budget before the end. That would be the worst thing, since I don't think they've made a 24 ep series since they became animation heavy-weights after Air, so they're still untested in this respect. Fingers crossed this won't happen, since everything I've seen by them has been a winner, IMO.

Anyway, as an aesthetic experience, that was beautiful. KyoAni just seems to get better and better. The directing was full of the flair of Haruhi (same director, IIRC) and the animation was dazzling.

I ponder, though, would I have enjoyed this episode anywhere near as much if I hadn't already seen the original Kanon (and played through about 1/4 of the game, since that was all that was translated when I played it)? And, the only answer I can come up with is "no". I mean, for those who've seen the first series, we know that the first set of episodes were a lowlight... slow, seemingly contributing nothing to the story, and having quite a number of the staples of a cliched dating sim. And, I suppose that'd be a bit what it'd feel like for people going through Kanon's story for the first time with this series. I was impressed that some of the smaller details weren't taken straight from the game/previous anime, and that KyoAni is taking a few liberties with the sequencing and setting of events. I also did appreciate the few Easter Eggs they had for people already familiar with Kanon's story.

It's only really the visual features I can pass a proper judgement on after the first episode, and all I can say is "wow". Incredible. As for the rest of the anime, we'll wait and see, but early signs show that this is going to be far better than the first series.... and the first series was great.
Old 2006-10-06, 20:33   Link #34
Cyz
"Show it to me"

You know, Ayu could've dodge Yuuichi instead of making him dodge her. But instead, she tackled him head first.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-06, 21:12   Link #35
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ayu isn't exactly the most coordinated of people, though. She would have needed to put on some tricky side steps to get around Yuuichi. I think she figured her easiest way through was straight ahead and hope everyone would move for her.
Old 2006-10-06, 21:15   Link #36
therethere

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
So Kanon...

Well, what can I say except that it reminds me of AIR.

The good thing about that is the mood, like AIR, completely swept me off my feet.

The bad part of it is the female characters, like AIR, aren't so much "characters" as they are one-dimensional things vaguely resembling females, with odd quirks for flavor.

Hmm, maybe that's unfair to say about the series since one episode has only been released, and I have no interest in playing the game. If there is deep characterization to be had, I look forward to it. If not, I'll probably end up loving it despite its flaws, again, like AIR.
notice this?

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-06, 23:01   Link #37
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I gave it a 10. What can I say? I loved the first series, need to get the game, and it's done by one of the best animation studios I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. It was perfect. I'm uploading the episode to my PSP so I can watch it while I'm out and about and need something to keep me busy.

Uguuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 2006-10-06, 23:05   Link #38
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

Wow, an excellent first episode. Love the opening and closing song. I'm looking forward to the next episode. :P
Old 2006-10-06, 23:15   Link #39
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

There are many us that are Kanon veteran here so the sense of nostalgia is really powerful. I suppose we do have to take that into account when talking about even episode 1... actually prehaps the entire series.

I do feel AIR seeping through already though.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-06, 23:28   Link #40
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Well, remember AIR came after Kanon and they're both by the same company, so similarities are inevitable.

So far it's looking better than Kanon 2002. At least they kept the original OP/ED. As for the actual episode... it's Kanon after all. First episode is the same.

As for fansub group, I recommend a.f.k.'s release. Strato does a good job and there's no karaoke!
Closed Thread