AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-21, 01:16   Link #2241
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I was using or trying to use Mandrake on my computer for like a week, but I gave up and went back to windows. I need to go take a class on how to use a Linux OS or something because its just so different from windows since I'm so use to it.

Old 2004-09-21, 01:30   Link #2242
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
I was using or trying to use Mandrake on my computer for like a week, but I gave up and went back to windows. I need to go take a class on how to use a Linux OS or something because its just so different from windows since I'm so use to it.

Its the same for any long-time windows user making the switch. But believe me when I say change is good. I recommend you download and burn a Knoppix LiveCD. Just stick the CD in your computer when you turn it on and you can boot into Linux without ever installing it on your system. Knoppix has great auto-hardware detection and is good to have around if Windows suddenly won't boot one day (seems to happen a lot. :roll: ).
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 04:47   Link #2243
Pyro
無謀な火

Send a message via ICQ to Pyro
here is my latest.... spidey!!

Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 10:19   Link #2244
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
W00t Linux desktop! There haven't been enough of those lately. What distro are you running? I would post a shot of my desktop but it hasn't really changed much (and I don't need it to).

(PS: rep++ )
I use fedora core 1 publishers edition. Its does the job.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 19:01   Link #2245
xargon

edit edit edit edit edit

Last edited by xargon; 2011-09-25 at 21:10.
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 19:06   Link #2246
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xargon
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

This is my windows, I use gentoo on my linux comp, That looks gorgious. I'll post a shot later.
Wow... do you run dual monitors or just have a really big one, because those pics are HUGE!!!

Also, you said that that is windows... but that looks like linux to me.. or maybe you just skinned windows... hrmm... is it just me confuzed?

Neways, nice wallpapers (especially the girl ^_^ ) and the res you have is super l33t!!
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 19:12   Link #2247
Pyro
無謀な火

Send a message via ICQ to Pyro
Quote:
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

This is my windows, I use gentoo on my linux comp, That looks gorgious. I'll post a shot later.
you sure have some serious hardware there...or your resolution is just a bit enormous
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 22:48   Link #2248
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Wow... do you run dual monitors or just have a really big one, because those pics are HUGE!!!

Also, you said that that is windows... but that looks like linux to me.. or maybe you just skinned windows... hrmm... is it just me confuzed?

Neways, nice wallpapers (especially the girl ^_^ ) and the res you have is super l33t!!
You really need to get your eyes checked, he said it was windows not linux. Linux looks nothing like windows.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 09:42   Link #2249
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Finally, a bloody desktop thread.
Spoiler:
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 12:36   Link #2250
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
You really need to get your eyes checked, he said it was windows not linux. Linux looks nothing like windows.
I KNOW!!! But his desktop looks like Fluxbox. I used Fluxbox, so i know what it looks like, i'm not just guessing. And that looks nothing like windows and doesn't sem to act like windows either.
Old 2004-09-22, 15:07   Link #2251
xargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
I KNOW!!! But his desktop looks like Fluxbox. I used Fluxbox, so i know what it looks like, i'm not just guessing. And that looks nothing like windows and doesn't sem to act like windows either.
hehe, the only thing windows about those comps is that its ntfs, asides that it uses nothing windows related. The gui is blackbox, they have a windows version now, I got an old version and modded the source so it would work like i wanted it to. Yeah my personal comp uses dual monitor and windows, but my others comps have solaris on one, gentoo on two.
I dont really find that resolution too high, i wanted to make it 3200 x 1200 but its at 2560 x 1024 right now which is readable. I dont have any good wallpapers for the higher one so I left it at this. My gentoo has a resolution of like 2048x1538, thats pwn resolution
I wish they had fluxbox for windows ^^
Old 2004-09-22, 15:09   Link #2252
xargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
Finally, a bloody desktop thread.
Spoiler:
Give blackbox a try, it could make that screen really good.
Old 2004-09-22, 16:10   Link #2253
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Give blackbox a try, it could make that screen really good.
What the hell is blackbox? And furthermore, why would I need it? I think I've a pretty good set up there. My system stats, my winamp, my KoF.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 19:54   Link #2254
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Uh, the Graphical User Interface of Linux... is.. what ever the heck you want it to look like.

Eg: http://www.xpde.com/shots.php

That there looks pretty much like Windows XP.. but, it's Linux.. And of course.. if you look around for FVWM2 screenshots, you'll see that you can much get a WIndows XP, 95, etc look as well.

The Linux DE is whatever you want it to be. Use one of the many already out there, or make your own from scratch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
What the hell is blackbox? And furthermore, why would I need it? I think I've a pretty good set up there. My system stats, my winamp, my KoF.
Directly answering your question, BlackBox is a Window Manager (WM) for X11 type servers. Simply put, it's one of the desktop environments/ways you can manage your windows on the Linux platform.

And as xargon already mentioned, there _is_ a blackbox shell replacement for Windows. That's probably what was in the screenshot. Give it a google, and you'll find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
W00t Linux desktop! There haven't been enough of those lately. What distro are you running? I would post a shot of my desktop but it hasn't really changed much (and I don't need it to).

(PS: rep++ )
Lol... same here... only thing that's changed on my desktop since my last screenshot is the wallpaper, and the fact that I have two gkrellm windows running now... One for this computer, and one monitoring my headless gentoo box. Hmm.. the "desktop" on that box isn't very interesting anyways... there is none lol. haha, nothingness!

But anyways.. if I ever get around to changing any window decorations... I may post again... I dunno. Or, maybe it's been so long since anyone's seen my desktop, so I'll post my current one anyways. ? hmm
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 20:58   Link #2255
Yuiichi
Retired.

Hrmm... i got a new desktop for my laptop... lineage 2 theme... but my laptop is off right now... and i'm too lazy to turn it back on now. Well, you'll have a new screenshot from me tomorrow.

And thank you to rcxAsh and xargon for helping with my error of identifying. I indeed knew that blackbox had been ported to windows... but i like the look of XP. I don't think i'll be changing it.
Old 2004-09-22, 21:42   Link #2256
xargon

hehe the xp look, one of my gentoo's have the xp look. I like my windows like linux and linux like windows. yeah weird but =p.
rcxAsh: "Do you Gentoo?" <-- Yay, another gentoo user
Old 2004-09-22, 22:04   Link #2257
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
hehe the xp look, one of my gentoo's have the xp look. I like my windows like linux and linux like windows. yeah weird but =p.
rcxAsh: "Do you Gentoo?" <-- Yay, another gentoo user
LOL!! That's hilarious lol.

Yup, I've been using Gentoo for over a year now. Just like a good novel (or anime for that matter), I can't put it down.
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 22:32   Link #2258
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

hola! this is my newly Favorite wp ^__^

ORIGINAL ^___^

Last edited by Oneesama; 2004-09-24 at 01:27. Reason: original!
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 23:01   Link #2259
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

Send a message via MSN to full_metal_31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneesama
hola! this is my newly Favorite wp ^__^

source plz...^_^ Arigatou!
full_metal_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 06:22   Link #2260
Ending

Quote:
Uh, the Graphical User Interface of Linux... is.. what ever the heck you want it to look like.

Eg: http://www.xpde.com/shots.php
Whoah; didn't know you make it a 75% perfect copy of Windows (and that 25% left out includes all the bugs and cheats). Have to remember that next time someone argues about "needing to teach the staff to use it."

Spoiler for Took this in a bit of hurry.:
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customize, desktop, rainmeter, wallpaper