Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-16, 23:24   Link #1
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Plants vs Zombies 2

http://www.popcap.com/plants-vs-zombies-2

So the games out. Good news its free. Bad news everything within the game costs money.

Paying 5-10 bucks for app that I can enjoy for a lifetime? Sure. Telling me to fork over 50+ for stupid game upgrades. No thanks. .
Old 2013-08-16, 23:50   Link #2
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

http://kotaku.com/plants-vs-zombies-...ith-1147085832

From what I read, the game could be played completely free, but that depends on the region you're in.
Old 2013-08-17, 00:50   Link #3
Drkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
http://kotaku.com/plants-vs-zombies-...ith-1147085832

From what I read, the game could be played completely free, but that depends on the region you're in.
It is free. But they're charing a preimum on the good plants. Like the best plants in the first one.

http://plantsvszombies.wikia.com/wik...Premium_Plants.

Seriously? Ice Snow Pea? Really?
Old 2013-08-17, 01:00   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Is it PC??? hehehe can't help but ask..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 12:57   Link #5
Drkz

At the moment its only on IOS.
Old 2013-08-17, 17:55   Link #6
Seitsuki
Onee!

Played it a bit. Notes:

-Star farming gets VERY repetitive very fast (exact same map, same enemies, a few different conditions that are recycled over and over).
-Seeing plants which were featured in 1 including my favourite (torchwood) be moved to IAP sucks. Very expensive too (what'd you expect from EA).
-IAP in general isn't very obtuse; besides aforementioned plants everything else (upgrades, gold, keys etc) can generally be gotten by playing long enough. Very long. Which is where the repetitive comes in. I just can't bring myself to do so as it's painfully mindnumbing.
-This is because gameplay-wise you'll pretty much be doing the same strategy over and over. There's very little variety outside the tried and true tactics from 1. The same enemies spawn in the same place at the same time so replay value is minimal.

All in all not too bad especially considering entry is free, but unlike the first it failed to utterly hook me.
Old 2013-08-17, 19:09   Link #7
Drkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Played it a bit. Notes:

-Star farming gets VERY repetitive very fast (exact same map, same enemies, a few different conditions that are recycled over and over).
-Seeing plants which were featured in 1 including my favourite (torchwood) be moved to IAP sucks. Very expensive too (what'd you expect from EA).
-IAP in general isn't very obtuse; besides aforementioned plants everything else (upgrades, gold, keys etc) can generally be gotten by playing long enough. Very long. Which is where the repetitive comes in. I just can't bring myself to do so as it's painfully mindnumbing.
-This is because gameplay-wise you'll pretty much be doing the same strategy over and over. There's very little variety outside the tried and true tactics from 1. The same enemies spawn in the same place at the same time so replay value is minimal.

All in all not too bad especially considering entry is free, but unlike the first it failed to utterly hook me.
No frost peas made me sad.

It feels more like that PvZ game on facebook if anything.
Unlike the first one all you have are pretty much re-skinned zombies. Their not really unique, they practically do the same thing from their normal counterparts. Turning ice peas and torchwood to "premium" is a low blow.

Sei-chan should play the vocaloid version of PvZ instead!
Old 2013-08-20, 20:36   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Unlike the first one all you have are pretty much re-skinned zombies. Their not really unique, they practically do the same thing from their normal counterparts.
I disagree. I played through the Ancient Egypt and Pirate Seas levels, and the zombies that you encounter are fairly different. The level dynamics are also different, with the Ancient Egypt levels having gravestones scattered throughout while the Pirate Seas levels have different amounts of connecting planks. It's worth pointing out that gravestones function differently in PvZ 2 compared with the original - plant projectiles will hit (and for some plants, be stopped by) gravestones. The changes aren't so dramatic that you need to change up your strategy entirely (I'm always using Bloomerangs), but there is room for creating strategies optimized for each stage.

I think it's pretty fun. The difficulty level has arguably been increased compared with the original, but you are certainly not required to buy any plants to progress. I'll agree that "star farming" and "key farming" can get repetitive, but it's an added challenge. If you're looking to pick up a game to play for spurts of time lasting about an hour or less then the repetitive aspect probably won't bother you. Given that PvZ 2 seemingly caters to mobile devices, perhaps the developers anticipated that most players wouldn't be playing for long stretches of time.

It's a bit of a nuisance to have advertisements come up so often, but the game was free and you're not required to buy anything. I suppose we shouldn't complain about the advertising.

I don't know that I prefer it to the original, but it's free and it's fun. Content is still being developed for it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.