AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-04-25, 10:03   Link #461
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
Unfortunately, that is one of the more realistic things in After Story. People move on; childhood friends grow and move apart. The only people with a reason to stay in the town are Fuko and Kyou, and so they are the only ones there as adults.
I agree, it definitely made clannad have a much more real feeling due to this in after story. Since it does have in real life ussually.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 12:47   Link #462
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
Unfortunately, that is one of the more realistic things in After Story. People move on; childhood friends grow and move apart. The only people with a reason to stay in the town are Fuko and Kyou, and so they are the only ones there as adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I agree, it definitely made clannad have a much more real feeling due to this in after story. Since it does have in real life ussually.
Just to add to this, I have been experiencing this slowly. Opportunities arise and sometimes it's work-related or family-related but in the end, even your closest friends will become distant. After Story demonstrates what will usually happen in life, Tomoya and Nagisa become family and they live for each other. All their friends look for a way to jump-start their own lives and they become distant because of those reasons.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 22:02   Link #463
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

5 Centimetres/Second esque.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 03:07   Link #464
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Though nowhere near as obscenely brutal.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 00:52   Link #465
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Just to add to this, I have been experiencing this slowly. Opportunities arise and sometimes it's work-related or family-related but in the end, even your closest friends will become distant. After Story demonstrates what will usually happen in life, Tomoya and Nagisa become family and they live for each other. All their friends look for a way to jump-start their own lives and they become distant because of those reasons.
Yep, the people they meet will slowly disappear, but the memories and experiences are what matters. Hmm... I'm reminded of Angel Beats here.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 04:06   Link #466
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Dude...now that I think about it, so have I. I'm so wrapped up in my own affairs that I hardly chat or hang out with my best buddy from high school. The rest of my friends and I pretty much stopped talking. It really sucks, man.

But hopefully, new opportunities await me at the college I'm going to. At least I hope so.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 06:47   Link #467
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Yeah I've noticed how much After Story really speaks for life in general.

I see maybe half a dozen of the seventy kids I went to school with in my year and I was friendly with most of them. And even the ones I do see it is only three of them who are like me and still living in the area.

The rest have taken job opportunities at opposite ends of the country or reside in Melbourne most of the time working or at Uni. Next year I'll be moving away so all the friends I've made through work will probably grow distant too.

That's just life and it's what keeps everything interesting. The only constant in life is change.

I've started rewatching Clannad and I'm half way through After Story. I forgot how much I really loved this series until I saw Nagisa up on that stage crying and Akio starts screaming.

I wish I had parents like Akio & Sanae!

Or better yet, I wish I could be a father like Akio and have a wife like Sanae. I'm also taking note of Sanae's talk to Tomoya about Nagisa and he being their dream as a good idea for a wedding speech for my children.

Yeah, I'm really thinking ahead here...

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 05:37   Link #468
Qikz

Literally just finished watching After Story and I watched the first series before that. Really amazingly good, the bits between Tomoya and his father near the end upset me alot as despite the fact my dad never turned into a drunk, he always worked away from home and I never saw him (now he lives abroad so I barely see him now either). I always resented him for it but I know he always said he was doing it for me so I could have an alright life, I never believed him though.

I'm confused by what the actual ending is however, or is there supposed to be the kind of multiple ending situation where Nagisa dies and one where she survives? All I know is I think I started crying about halfway through Episode 18 and didn't stop until about 2 hours later. :x
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 05:40   Link #469
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

It reverts backwards in time to the birth.
Old 2010-05-04, 06:57   Link #470
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I'm confused by what the actual ending is however, or is there supposed to be the kind of multiple ending situation where Nagisa dies and one where she survives? All I know is I think I started crying about halfway through Episode 18 and didn't stop until about 2 hours later. :x
It's carried over from the game but there are hints in the intro to each episode from the very beginning of the series.

In the game, upon completing each route and achieving the happiness for a character you were awarded an orb of light. It's what Miyazawa talks about with the town's legend.

When happiness is achieved an orb of light appears and anyone who attains one of these orbs is said to get their wish fulfilled.

If you just go back and look at the intros to the episodes you can count the number of orbs, each representing someone Tomoya has helped.

They eventually make the outline of the girl from the dream (Ushio) sleeping next to the tree and when you finished the game - does it turn up with the anime, I can't recall still rewatching at the moment - you can see her doing just that at the title screen.

What I believe is that Tomoya uses the orbs of light he has collected to wish he had never met Nagisa in such saving her from dying in giving birth to Ushio. This is when Nagisa confronts him and he accepts everything that had happened to that point and wishes for Nagisa to be saved.

And the rest is as it plays out.

Someone will be able to come along and blow that completely out of the water but that's what I remember feeling.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 08:24   Link #471
Qikz

Phew! I don't think I could of accepted the sad ending.

What was the thing with Fuko about at the end? She finds the girl who I guess is Ushio by a tree but when she looks again, it literally is Ushio sleeping. Is that a nod to the fact that's the special place where Nagisa was supposidley saved? She's by the hospital area so I would think so.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 08:31   Link #472
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Kind of.

ish.

Not so much a nod, as a "she's sposed to be there." lol.
Old 2010-05-08, 17:53   Link #473
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Very likely my favorite anime series ever made. Very well done!
Old 2010-05-19, 21:04   Link #474
OkamiNoKaze

This show was quite the wild ride, it even got me misty eyed in several episodes. This show is rare in that it doesn't end when the main couple finally get together, it keeps going in the second season, to show them graduating, getting married, and the rest of the trials that follow. It reminds me, especially in the second season, with the ending of episode 22, of that movie "Click" with Adam Sandler. It's definitely going on my to buy list, though I think I'm going to wait a bit and see if the second season gets a dub, well, I do think I need a full on comedy after this, maybe Akikan, or the Ah! My Buddah series.

Last edited by OkamiNoKaze; 2010-05-19 at 21:18.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 02:16   Link #475
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Join the Annual Rewatchers Club.

*points at DeX and some others*

XD
Old 2010-05-20, 03:13   Link #476
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post

XD
It's far too early for him to join that club, he just finished watching the series for the first time Gotta watch something that will make you laugh and then when you feel ready, it will be time to join the club

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:39   Link #477
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:

XD
I think I'll probably end up rewatching Clannad once, maybe twice later this summer depends on whom I can force to watch it with me .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 08:52   Link #478
hinakatbklyn

Quote:

XD
I'm guessing it doesn't count if I rewatch the series, this time dubbed.
Old 2010-05-20, 08:57   Link #479
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

It could?

If it carries the same emotional impact, then hell yes.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:46   Link #480
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Both Clannad and ~After Story~ have been the only Anime in all the Animes I've watched to make me cry. And I'm not one to cry watching an Anime or TV show. Shows how good it is if it does that. My all-time favorite Anime.