AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 45 33.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 26.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 20.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-20, 09:16   Link #81
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Uhm, what to say, what to say. The first half was pretty meh and the second half better. The hug pretty much safed the whole episode. And the scattered flashbacks of Rikka's past were done fine enough as well.

- Kumin with the wickey eye "voice" felt off. It didn't suit her at all, imho. Whereas Sanae acting like a normal human being felt in contrast more natural, even if it was just to "teach" Yuuta a lesson (or so it looked like). That she provided the explanation for how Rikka felt was done nicely, so no complaint here.
- Nibutani was good and one of the few good scene providers.
- The farewell scene of Rikka at the "etheral horizon" was indeed positively impactful. Anyone good enough in lip reading for Papa-san's reply? For me, it could have been an "Arigatou/Thank you" .
- So Rikka's chuunibyou was simply to make her normal life more colorful after witnessing Yuuta's DFM-mode? Anyway, DFM-Yuuta's prediction in his letter was pretty much spot on.

To sum it up: Chuunibyou = much comedy, an acceptable amount of *hnnnghhhh* from Rikka, 2 episodes worth of - for me - annoying drama (Episode 11, half of ep. 10 + 12) and too few romance post-confession. Said drama felt due to the "annoyance" factor much, much heavier and longer than it actually was.
To make a very cheap non-specific viusal novel comparison: The last three episode were similar to the post-confession drama which deals with the girl's indiviual problem(s). And surprise, surprise it occured in Chuunibyou exactly at that point of time (with the beach episode serving as a "first layer" of the real deal).
Old 2012-12-20, 09:46   Link #82
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Staff comments!

Director/Storyboarder Taichi Ishidate:
Quote:
This is the director/storyboarder for episode 12 Ishidate.

What did everyone think of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!? Did you have fun watching it?! The last bit's narration felt like it said "Embarrassing, sad, and adorable. We each have some part of ourselves that we don't want to reveal."

When I first read the scenario, I was moved. I worked hard so that everyone could see that emotion and all the emotions that Yuuta, Rikka, and all the characters built up throughout the series and feel that sensation as well.

I hope that this show has given a pleasant feeling to all who have watched it.

Thank you very much for tuning in!
Color Coordinator Akiyo Takeda:
Quote:
This is Takeda and I had the privilege of coordinating the colors for episode 12.

Finally! At last! It's the final episode. When we first started this work, the Supervisor told me he wanted "Rikka to wear a white one-piece dress in the final episode. Up until then she would not wear white. She'd have a lot of dark colored clothing... well, her casual clothes would be the gothic lolita style, so they'd be dark by necessity." And so that's how Rikka came to wear her white dress this episode. Up until she recovered from chuunibyou, she work dark clothing; and then afterwards the percentage of dark clothing went down, but we still didn't use white. That was reserved for this day.

This show had a lot of color alteration scenes planned between all the other color coordinators. It makes us happy when people notice such a trifling change in colors.

It's relieving to have delivered all 12 episodes to the viewers. Thank you very much for associating with us until the very end!
Photographer Rin Yamamoto:
Quote:
This is Yamamoto. I was in charge of the photography of episode 12.

It's clear Yuuta and Rikka like each other, yet I worry about how they keep missing each other's feelings. We tried to mediate their relationship by placing that aspect in the scenes. But, that's adolescence. I also want to return to that time! But I can't do anything about it...

So then, crying, smiling, a coin faced heads-up, this is the final episode!

Everyone, take a look behind you at what's happened (for me, it's various spots I want to do-over) and fight against the reality in front of you!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-12-20, 10:44   Link #83
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
They dont mention if Dekomori realize that Nibutani is MoriSummer !!!!
Yeah, and I don't know if they decide to continue with the club or not, Kumin and Isshiki's relationship, is Dekomori completely healed of her syndrome,etc,etc. In short, now that I think about it, this conclusion is lacking in closure. It would be nice for them to show how everyone is doing.

Oh well, I guess I can obtain the answers by reading the second part of the light novel, but it is also to my understanding that the anime does not really follow the novel. Hmm, perhaps some questions will remain unanswered.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-12-20, 11:21   Link #84
arkxkra
全力全開

revive of Dark Flame Master, to summon the unseen horizon might use up all of the power er? (back to normal xD)

this episode was not bad, but expect more answer to the questions but well, i think just leave it be or later a extra ova in the dvd/bd release also not bad.
Old 2012-12-20, 12:01   Link #85
Veronin
Fun things are (not) fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Yeah, and I don't know if they decide to continue with the club or not, Kumin and Isshiki's relationship, is Dekomori completely healed of her syndrome,etc,etc. In short, now that I think about it, this conclusion is lacking in closure. It would be nice for them to show how everyone is doing.

Oh well, I guess I can obtain the answers by reading the second part of the light novel, but it is also to my understanding that the anime does not really follow the novel. Hmm, perhaps some questions will remain unanswered.
It seems pretty suggestive of a second season with the way things ended, or at the very least KyoAni is keeping things open in case they ever want to come back to it a future date.

And yeah, the anime is a very loose adaptation of the novels. The second most important female character was entirely omitted in the anime adaptation, and things followed an almost completely different direction in the second novel. It's always worth a read since both of them have been translated now, but the common opinion is that they aren't so great.
Old 2012-12-20, 12:07   Link #86
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Last 2 episodes was way rushed but it was sastifying enough.
Need more or else it'll feel empty.
Old 2012-12-20, 16:08   Link #87
matrigs

The ending was pretty bad looking at the "educational" aspect of it. No doubt however that it was the only possible way to do it.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-20, 16:36   Link #88
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I personally think the conclusion had a proper touch regarding Rikka's case: certainly, it isn't like you had a clear cut answer to her antics but what Yuuta actually did was "using" Rikka's chuunibyou in order to make her settle down her regrets. Surely, this episode did explain why Rikka "suddenly" shifted into chuunibyou, but how she used it was initially for fun until it became basically a reality substitution (portrayed by how her house was conceptualized in her chuuni mode back in ep8).
And since even her own anchor and "admiration source" told her to cut off with chuunibyou, only her bottled emotions regarding her father remained (due to her "duty" to follow society rules), obviously left with basically nothing.
However, now that Yuuta lead her the way to actually use her chuunibyou (however how "effortless" it was, save the actual epiphany from Yuuta), she could finally drop the initial catalyst of her chuunibyou, with only the fun stuff remaining.

So really, whereas I can surely agree that some things are missing regarding Rikka's family (some circumstances, such as her mother and grandparents), it surely dealt with the core of the drama regarding Rikka's part. In a sense, that definitely works as a "proper ending" in my books. That being said, I share the sentiment they should have done a 2 cour series with more spread stuff regarding the drama, so we don't have a "mood swing/genre shift" impression.

A side note: I see some people mention "Deus Ex Machina" regarding the club members intervention despite there wasn't any (at most, convenient, I will give you that).
I mean, even if Makoto was a sidekick, he was pretty much part of the club, so what stopped him to contact Kumin, Sanae and Shinka? Actually that do make sense they could reach Yuuta and Rikka on time considering the circumstances:
1) Sanae has her personal chauffeur (sort of hinted beforehand by the ojou stuff)
2) They actually know where Rikka's grandparents live due to summer vacations
3) Makoto figured out Yuuta's actions are hardly for the kicks.

The only questionable part is Kumin's location, but if we assume she livse nearby, she probably knew where Yuuta would pass by bicycle. Still a bit sketchy indeed, but not out of thin air/ass pull than what a true DEM is.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-20 at 16:51.
Old 2012-12-20, 16:42   Link #89
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

How about the DFM letter? Well it certainly make sense in context but it just feel it suddenly appear.

thought i have felling i seen it somewhere before.

Old 2012-12-20, 16:49   Link #90
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
How about the DFM letter? Well it certainly make sense in context but it just feel it suddenly appear.

thought i have felling i seen it somewhere before.
Actually, this kind of stuff is quite common with some kids in Japan (although some do use the date of arrival trick for other obvious reasons, such as christmas and so forth).
Although they probably should have introduced the letter like 1-2 episodes ago, and make Yuuta remember about it in this episode instead. Hence, surely convenient.
Old 2012-12-20, 16:52   Link #91
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, this kind of stuff is quite common with some kids in Japan
Not really surprised about that thought (Kinda expect it one way or another). but it just feel jarring since it suddenly appear on the table instead being under a bed or something

minor issue either way

Old 2012-12-20, 17:24   Link #92
rulfo

Elegant Dekomori version is a force to be reckoned with. On my 2nd watch I still can't help but get diabetes when ever I get to that scene.

Anyway like I said in my post after the live stream, this show had delivered on the part of Rikka and Yuuta. Somehow it feels as if it's a set up for something bigger.

With all the changes and additions they made, I expected them to go all out on the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
They dont mention if Dekomori realize that Nibutani is MoriSummer !!!!
It's a shame we didn't get there. Though at times I really wonder if she really does know Nibutani is mori summer.
Old 2012-12-20, 17:28   Link #93
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Considering she called Rikka "fake master" when the latter acted normally, it is very likely Sanae knew from the beginning Shinka IS Mori Summer after few antics.
In fact, it wouldn't make sense for her to call some stranger by the name of her "idol" thoughtlessly considering she has an hardcore setup, and she is actually not dumb to begin with. You would rather expect her to call Shinka a mere mortal who "dare" claiming the name of Mori Summer if she really didn't have any clue.
And suffice to say, an actual "non chuunibyou" person wouldn't go on that extent to destroy "someone else" chuuni stuff, unless they are involved in that mess.
Old 2012-12-20, 23:02   Link #94
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

And that is how I met your mother

That was one great ending there needs to be ather season
Old 2012-12-21, 02:47   Link #95
matrigs

Quote:
However, now that Yuuta lead her the way to actually use her chuunibyou (however how "effortless" it was, save the actual epiphany from Yuuta), she could finally drop the initial catalyst of her chuunibyou, with only the fun stuff remaining.
I like the explanation a lot. But a pity the episode itself didn't make me come to the same conclusion.
Old 2012-12-21, 07:04   Link #96
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
And that is how I met your mother
You know there was a part where Ted, Marshall and Lily DID write letters to their future self.
Old 2012-12-21, 07:29   Link #97
rulfo

Quote:
Considering she called Rikka "fake master" when the latter acted normally, it is very likely Sanae knew from the beginning Shinka IS Mori Summer after few antics.
This is one of the things I'll be on the look out if ever another season comes for this show. Or at least some OVAs to follow up. The interaction between Nibutani and Dekomori is really amusing. I'd like to see more of it. I would really love to see them interact with Dekomori in more normalcy or at least with her Chuunibyou tamed down just for a little while.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:49   Link #98
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You know there was a part where Ted, Marshall and Lily DID write letters to their future self.
I had exactly the same thought after I thought over the the DFM-letter once more .
Oh yeah about the end narration: I agree with the others that I felt too out-of-the-blueish. Nothing against a narration, but not if it just shows up out of thin air. It would have been less stupid if we had had an beginning narration (other than Yuuta's).
Old 2012-12-21, 10:14   Link #99
OkamiNoKaze

"Don't stop Believin', hold on to that feeling" Sorry that song rolled through my head the entire episode, I said it before and I'll say it again, someone with better expertise than me, should make a video of that song for this show. It fit's quite well, that aside, this show was great, Kumin was wonderful this episode, as were Rikka and Yuuta, as far as the letter to himself, the reason it was on his desk, was because I think it was postmarked to be delivered that day.
Considering around when the episode aired, the mention of the Mayan thing was hilarious, especially having just watched the episode today, the 21st
Old 2012-12-21, 12:53   Link #100
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Uhm, what to say, what to say. The first half was pretty meh and the second half better. The hug pretty much safed the whole episode. And the scattered flashbacks of Rikka's past were done fine enough as well.

- Kumin with the wickey eye "voice" felt off. It didn't suit her at all, imho. Whereas Sanae acting like a normal human being felt in contrast more natural, even if it was just to "teach" Yuuta a lesson (or so it looked like). That she provided the explanation for how Rikka felt was done nicely, so no complaint here.
- Nibutani was good and one of the few good scene providers.
- The farewell scene of Rikka at the "etheral horizon" was indeed positively impactful. Anyone good enough in lip reading for Papa-san's reply? For me, it could have been an "Arigatou/Thank you" .
- So Rikka's chuunibyou was simply to make her normal life more colorful after witnessing Yuuta's DFM-mode? Anyway, DFM-Yuuta's prediction in his letter was pretty much spot on.

To sum it up: Chuunibyou = much comedy, an acceptable amount of *hnnnghhhh* from Rikka, 2 episodes worth of - for me - annoying drama (Episode 11, half of ep. 10 + 12) and too few romance post-confession. Said drama felt due to the "annoyance" factor much, much heavier and longer than it actually was.
To make a very cheap non-specific viusal novel comparison: The last three episode were similar to the post-confession drama which deals with the girl's indiviual problem(s). And surprise, surprise it occured in Chuunibyou exactly at that point of time (with the beach episode serving as a "first layer" of the real deal).
Yeah, in the end, I think I find the "drama" in the series more annoying than anything else. In the end, I still like the series--good comedy, great visuals and loads of moe (as always from KyoAni), and I actually think it deserves some credit for trying to deal with chuunibyou in a serious way. But the attempt to get serious didn't really work for me in the end, with the signal exception of the ethereal horizon scene, which was superb. But I thought we could have gotten to that same point with a process less loaded with the angst and conflict at the base of the last two episodes, and more in line with the comic, light-hearted core of the series. For me, if they couldn't balance and transition effectively between comedy and drama, especially in 12 eps, then I'd prefer they have stuck to one tone rather than do the switch.

And like others, I personally didn't like the twist of Yuuta being in large part the source of Rikka's chuuni. Not only do I find it implausible, even with the foreshadowing given earlier, it makes the romance a bit too one sided for me, with Rikka always being in love with Yuuta, and him not coming around until the end of the series. And like you, I wanted some good post-confession romantic development. I thought that would be one of the benefits of NOT having a love triangle. Instead of Yuuta moping about, dramatically figuring things out, riding his bike, and getting on that roof, I'd rather seen them go on a date and act more like a day-to-day couple (the novels are better on this score). *And* I think that if the series went that route, it could also have come to the conclusion that chuunibyou is something we never escape, in a manner more natural than the forced (imo) drama we got instead.

Nevertheless, still a fun series for me in the end, and I was satisfied with the resolution.
Closed Thread