AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-12, 03:57   Link #1141
macdawson

As far as merchandising goes i've been stiking to the 32 page Pamphlets (40 pages in the next), Yamato crew Postcard sets and assorted printed material (leaflets, YC fan club magazine and a couple clear files). I got the first blu-ray and plan to eventualy buy the rest, as well as the soundtrack CDs. As far as figures and models, this Yuki figure looks amazing bit a bit out of my price range so i'll probably stick to the 1/1000 model, except the Yamato since i have the 1/500 and am quite happy with it. What i really wish is a HGIF type gashapon collection but only if it branches out of the usual main character set. Admit it, who wouldn't love to have a full set of the Yamato crew and Gamilas? I would. :-)
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 12:10   Link #1142
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well hello there. You look familiar.

http://yamato2199.net/character_fleurken.html
(Voiced by: Jōji Nakata)

The Dimensional Submarine Commander Frakken, also known as the "Galman Wolf," is here it would seem. Two seasons early and confirmed as a Gamilas instead of a Galman. "A good submariner is never early, nor does he die. He surfaces exactly when you least expect."

Woah, now that IS a surprise.
I wonder how many more Gamilas/Galman cross over characters there will be?
They are technically the same race, and this new series could create considerable new backstory for characters we met in later installments of Yamato in the original series.

Showing the extent of the Gamilas galactic empire makes the story more believable and definitely opens up opportunities for all kinds of side-stories and other additions.

Hell, Prince Zordar and the other villians in the later shows could just be quadrant/megasector lords of the former Gamilas empire after Yamato causes it to collapse.
Sort of like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series where the Galactic Empire's collapse caused all kinds of fighting between territorial lords.
That would explain why Earth is only occationally bothered, and why Gamilas cannot bring its full might against Earth and/or Yamato if they have to keep other powers/overlords in line.

It is going to be interesting to see this show continue to develop.
I just wish the DVDs were less expensive.
I want to buy the whole series but just can't afford it right now.
Old 2012-10-12, 12:49   Link #1143
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Megahouse 1/8th Yuki Mori preorder!

Yamato Girls Collection? Pretty damn sure we're gonna get Yamamoto too.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...%24pagecnt%3D1
Old 2012-10-12, 14:23   Link #1144
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe Frakken is Galman, just from a ship that was lost years ago and picked up by the Gamilas. They might have no idea were he is from (if he was young enough, he might not know either).

Frakken is sporting an even more Harlock look than he was in Yamato III. Only thing he's missing really is the scar. I mean he was cool back then even, a rare competent Galman Captain. No telling what he'll be like this time around, only that he will probably survive.

Also makes me wonder if the Dimensional Submarines will be back. Yamato seemed to have never really encounted them before Yamato III, though it wasn't considered impossible once the junior officer spotten a periscope, and had had training at the academy that might cover such things. Plus they had something onboard that could fight a Demensional Submarine (Wave Motion Depth Charges..or Missiles from Be Forever, Yamato repurposed for use against the subs). Add to this in both Farewell to Yamato and Yamato II, the Earth Forces encounter Cometine Space Submarines, and in both cases have counters ready for them. Usually when Yamato enounters something new, Sanada spends a little time building up a solution...in that instance, they already had a counter onboard Yamato, and Andromeda.

So maybe Yamato did encounter something similar (less advanced version) in 2199.
Old 2012-10-12, 17:56   Link #1145
August138

Quote:
Frakken is sporting an even more Harlock look than he was in Yamato III. Only thing he's missing really is the scar.
Maybe he'll earn it? Maybe he'll be thrown into a wormhole and end up on Galman? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

Quote:
Also makes me wonder if the Dimensional Submarines will be back.
Spoiler for Dimensional Submarines:

Last edited by August138; 2012-10-12 at 20:16.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 18:19   Link #1146
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would answer the question from some episodes. Sometimes Yamato was attacked by missiles, but we never found out what was launching them. Sort of like we never found out where that one Gamilas fighter they captured was from, or where it went afterwards.

A convenient reason for Yamato have not found him would be he never surfaced while attacking, and the only reason he stopped was because he ran out of torpedoes. (That says something about Yamato's protection if it can stand up to an entire submarines's firepower to the point it runs out of ammunition.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-10-12 at 21:11.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:15   Link #1147
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

(video was removed, so I replace with images)

Some images from Pixiv:

Some Ladies

and Gamilas.

Sources:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30792016
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30823992
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30828399
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30820796
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=30821946
Old 2012-10-21, 11:59   Link #1148
Vito
Asshole.

Fanart someone posted on twitpic:

Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 16:16   Link #1149
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maeda Corperation is working on a background story for Yamato 2199 for how, where, and why, Yamato was build.

http://www.maeda.co.jp/fantasy/yamato/index.html

Two parts out of four are finished. Running it through Google Translator was the best I could do. Basically it tells the tale of how the contract for Yamato come up, where they planned to build the vessel. What requirements they needed to accomplish to make sure they could build the vessel while still under attack from the Gamilas. And then in part two how they engineered the tunnels and construction locations for the battleship be be built.
Old 2012-10-21, 17:56   Link #1150
August138

Spoilers for Chapter 3 are up on a blog, somewhere.
Old 2012-10-23, 04:11   Link #1151
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Of the 12 theaters showing Chapter 3, as of yesterday, only 3 (Shinjuku, Namba, and Umeda) still had any BD left.

The viewing will end Friday.
Old 2012-10-23, 04:17   Link #1152
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Watched the first six episodes last night.

Damn I really enjoyed it. The wait for the others to become available is going to kill me.

I might watch the original series though in the mean time.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 04:38   Link #1153
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I also watched the first six episodes and i think this show is great. I just wonder why it takes so long for the other episodes to get released?
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 04:44   Link #1154
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

BD/DVD for Chapter 3 will be out in a month.

Somewhere around the 10th there will be some sort of music event that will also have a previewing of Episode 11 (the rest of Chapter 4 will be out in theaters come January).

Best guess they are treating this as a finely crafted piece of art and taking their time with the graphics and story.

While I would have rather it all be out by now...having waited quite literally decades for new Yamato...I can wait a month (and three months inbetween...though that gets taxing at times).
Old 2012-10-23, 05:10   Link #1155
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Ithekro, could you answer a question for me?

How many series of Yamato are there?

I gathered there are three distinct seasons, as well as three movies set after the seasons? What about this Harlock fellow? It seems he has his own series related to the Yamato universe?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 05:13   Link #1156
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I see. So this show is not aring on TV and there are only 3 episodes per chapter and per BD/DVD and they will be released every 3 months. Damn, I think I wait till the show has ended and watch it again.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 07:47   Link #1157
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post

I gathered there are three distinct seasons, as well as three movies set after the seasons? What about this Harlock fellow? It seems he has his own series related to the Yamato universe?
Without counting 2199, there were 3 seasons of SB Yamato/Star Blazers and a total of 7 movies. In order they are:

1 - Series 1: Space Battleship Yamato / Star Blazers - The Quest for Iscandar
2 - Movie 1: Space Battleship Yamato (an abridged version of season 1 with a few new scenes, mainly altering the actual contact with Starsha)
3 - Movie 2: Farewell SBY - Soldiers of Love (It literally ends the saga as almost every main character is dead by the end and the Yamato is destroyed)
4 - Series 2: SBY 2 / Star Blazers - The Comet Empire (Expands the story of movie 2 and retcons the ending so that Yamato and some of the cast survive...but not all :'( )
5 - Movie 3: SBY The New Voyage (TV Movie that ties loose ends at the end of SBY2 and leads to the next movie, presenting the new enemy)
6 - Movie 4: Be Forever Yamato
7 - Series 3: SBY III / Star Blazers - The Bolar Wars
8 - Movie 5: Final Yamato
9 - Movie 6: Yamato Resurrection
10 - Movie 7: SBY Live Action Movie (Based mainly in season 1 with elements of Movie 2 in the ending)

As far as continuity goes Movies 1 and 2 and the live action are somewhat out of the main continuity, the rest forms a nearly seemless timeline.

Harlock is now a totally separate saga, crossing over with the Galaxy Express 999 universe. The Yamato connection, besides Leiji Matsumoto, would have been made if the original series had it's 52 episode run, in wich Mamoru Kodai would have survived the battle of Pluto and become Harlock himself. Elements leading to this were used in the PS2 game version of Be Forever Yamato. But with the series cut down to 39 and then 26 episodes, the entire Harlock plot was cut. Some other plot points that were discarded at the time are now being brought to life in Yamato 2199. But due to the separation from Matsumoto, Harlock won't be one of them. Personally i'm glad as i preffer Harlock as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
I see. So this show is not aring on TV and there are only 3 episodes per chapter and per BD/DVD and they will be released every 3 months. Damn, I think I wait till the show has ended and watch it again.
Not exactly. Yamato 2199 is following the same distribution method as Gundam UC, wich proved quite successful. First it's played in movie form in theatres, then released in DVD/Blu-Ray and VOD, and only then will it be aired on TV. This was expected to happen in 2013 but that was when the theatre run was expected to end in February/March. If it keeps up it's current pace, chapter 7, the last one, will only be released in October 2013, so the TV airing will probably be pushed back.
As for the number of episodes, Chapter 1 had 2 episodes, chapters 2 through 7 will have 4 episodes each, bringing a total of 26.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 12:21   Link #1158
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

^Pretty much that.

There are two half-sister sequel shows done by Yamato's two creators: Yamato 2520 (done in the 1990s), which was a short aborted OVA series set to follow the adventures of the 18th Yamato. (The design for the 17th Yamato looked better to me that the show's hero vessel). Some of the ship designs and character art would later go to Yamato Resurrection, which was suppose to be made in the 1990s to tie the older Yamato series to the Yamato 2520 series. I've seen all of this series.

And Dai-Yamato (done around 2000) set even farther into the future, was another aborted OVA series (this one done by Matsumoto at the tail end of the legal battles over the ownership of Yamato). This one follows a ship very similar to Yamato that is one of the last "great battleships" in the galaxy. The manga was originally a sequel to Yamato set thousand years in the future (3199), but the OVA is only remotely similar due to the legal battles. I've never been able to find all the episodes. I think I missed two of them.

There are also a few slightly earlier references to Space Battleship Yamato is other Matsumoto works in the late 1990s. During the Harlock/Galaxy Express 999 rebooting period, Yamato was part of that universe and seen in cameo form at least four times in different shows (once in DNA Sights 999.9, once in Harlock Saga, once in Queen Emeraldas, and once in the last Galaxy Express 999 movie.) It also is sort of referenced in Cosmo Warrior Zero. Great Yamato was to be the result of these crossovers and to unify the various Matsumoto space opera settings. But legal battles ended that notion (sort of...Matsumoto is working on another film project for next year to maybe finish that set of stories using a in-fiction near-sister ship of Yamato as the star vessel.)

And while Matsumoto is not involved in Yamato 2199, I keep seeing references to him in various design choices (some of which are because he did do those designs originally) and in references that were not their before (such as the crew of Yamato being 999 people).
Old 2012-10-23, 14:25   Link #1159
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
I also watched the first six episodes and i think this show is great. I just wonder why it takes so long for the other episodes to get released?
This is because of two reasons: 1. This series is currently in production, and they are taking a lot of time to keep the quality as high as possible. 2. These are being released theatrically, and then on DVD and Blu-rays a month after the theatrical runs.

Quote:
BD/DVD for Chapter 3 will be out in a month.
Best guess they are treating this as a finely crafted piece of art and taking their time with the graphics and story.
First part, true. As far as the "story" is concerned, the series was completely written, with the teleplays for all 26 episodes complete before they began production on the first episode. Also, all of the dialogue was recorded before the series was animated, which is unusual for the typical anime production — which is usually done the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post

All of your questions, and a whole lot more, can be answered in infinite detail at the official Star Blazers website! Everything you wanted to know about YAMATO, but were afraid to ask!
Old 2012-10-23, 21:57   Link #1160
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fanart of the newly remade Gamilas Dimensional Submarine:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=31012125

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato