AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-10-20, 15:23   Link #61
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Third dub episode has been up on Funimation's youtube channel for a few days now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfulJ...h_e_se&list=SL
That's been known for about a week. That's why no one brought it up. But thanks anyway.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 12:02   Link #62
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
That's been known for about a week. That's why no one brought it up. But thanks anyway.
I know it's been up, and I figured most people interested would have seen it by then. I mainly linked it for completeness.

On a related note, Funimation has dub episode 4 up now:

http://www.funimation.com/fairy-tail.../dear-kaby/dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIWe-...h_e_se&list=SL

That'll probably be the last dub episode they post online, though they might post 5 given they apparently played that one at the NYAF.

Last edited by Krono; 2011-10-21 at 20:14. Reason: Added the youtube link.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 14:23   Link #63
Ryus
The One Eyed King

They better play 5... I wanna hear Colleen Clickenbeard as Erza, I'm really hoping she'll make Erza sound either like Galatea from Claymore or Hawkeye from FMA
Old 2011-10-21, 15:37   Link #64
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Erza's voice. Taken from the volume 1 dvdset preview.

& http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9ym...ayer_embedded#

Colleen Clickenbeard made her sound like Galatea (she's even got Galatea's derogatory tone) , except slightly more humorous

Erza is Ryus Approved!!!
Old 2011-10-21, 22:41   Link #65
immblueversion

And now people have no right to complain about the wait, even though they honestly think they do simply by not knowing about this video, which is perfectly plausible.

Now, for actual thoughts on the dub thus far:

It's certainly taking its liberties with the jokes. One must bring up how Cancer now says "baby" instead of "ebi" or "shrimp," yet they still left in the whole "crab/shrimp" background pun intact. But really, is that a problem? Would it still have worked if they kept the same gag that defined him for so many years? Or would it have sounded all clunky and odd when spoken? Because Cancer sounds undeniably awesome. The guy who plays him, Will Short, sounds every little bit as I had imagined him to sound in English. Besides, the dub changing Happy's expectations of and reaction to Cancer's mannerisms really just brings the joke to an entirely new league of funny, and frankly, I'm cool with it.

Quote:
Happy: A GIANT CRAB! Oh yeah! Nothing says "I'm gonna kick your butt" like a crab-man with razor claws and tough-guy sunglasses!

Cancer: Hey, Lucy. How would you like your hair done today...baby?

Happy: WHAT?! (later) Ah, so he just makes the bad guys look cooler before they kill us. THAT'S useful.
In the end, the whole dub that I've heard so far just seems more natural and less forced than most other Funimation dubs, as good a dubbing company as it is. I think we can say with certainty that the most accurate translation does NOT always make for the best one. It just needs to be accurate enough, and even then, it should not seem like anything else from what the show was meant to be in the first place.

Old 2011-11-12, 03:32   Link #66
ElricKeyblade

Just saw some of the dub on Hulu, and I just gotta say...I am SUPER happy with how Gray's voice was dubbed! 8D HIs voice was pretty much the only voice I was concerned with, and he sounds AWESOME~

I also love Jellal's, Erza's and Cana's voices as runners up. And the other voices are A-Ok!

In other words, yet another great job from Funimation! :P
Old 2011-11-22, 18:02   Link #67
immblueversion

Anyone have any thoughts on the dub's ADR director Tyler Walker's recent confirmation that Ed Blaylock would be playing Jose Porla, or that Funimation's Elite Subscribers would soon be treated to an exclusive cast reveal for characters debuting in the Fairy Tail Part 2 DVD, all said in his latest interview?

Old 2011-11-22, 20:42   Link #68
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I thought Ed Blaylock was already hired to play that Guild master with the sunglasses who was in the meeting with Master Bob and Mak. Also, NANJATO!? GAJEEL AND JUVIA'S VA'S, when they are revealed, POST THEM HERE! I DEMANDS THIS VERY POLITELY!
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 21:17   Link #69
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
I thought Ed Blaylock was already hired to play that Guild master with the sunglasses who was in the meeting with Master Bob and Mak. Also, NANJATO!? GAJEEL AND JUVIA'S VA'S, when they are revealed, POST THEM HERE! I DEMANDS THIS VERY POLITELY!
I'm fairly certain that Steve Summers (Goldmine) and Ed Blaylock (Jose) are two entirely different people.

Old 2011-11-22, 23:01   Link #70
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Hmm, never mind then^^;;, my hearing must really be going^^;;.
Old 2011-11-23, 20:47   Link #71
immblueversion

You need to be an elite subscriber to view this site, but:

Spoiler for Frickin' brace yourselves:

Old 2011-11-24, 22:11   Link #72
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Spoiler for Response:
One more thing: I can't rep you blue. rep sySTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!!!>(.
Old 2012-01-21, 20:57   Link #73
immblueversion

So, how's about that dub, huh? It's just...so glorious...

It's 36 episodes in, and I found it more entertaining than the whole first season in Japanese.

Tons of voices fit like a glove, and those that don't quite reach that level manage to hit the right marks over time. The dialogue itself seems a whole lot sharper and more witty than other dubs I've heard from Funimation. That and it's very well acted.

It also downplays the swearing compared to other Funi dubs that are chock full of profanity. But that's far from a flaw. In fact, it makes the dub even better! They reserve the swearing for the more serious moments of the show, which makes them all the more poignant. Dubs that don't just show us anime in English and rather enhance the experience, such as this, really deserve special mention.

It's just a shame that there are still people who can't draw that from this dub, instead considering it "just another dub that will forever be inferior to a language very few of us actually speak and appreciate."

Old 2012-01-25, 03:03   Link #74
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Wow blue, looks like you and I are the only ones here^^;;. Dub's been pretty good so far. Can't wait for the rest of it^^.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:58   Link #75
sergel02

I really like the dub also. Took me some time to get used to some of the voices like Cherami Leigh but now i really like her. I like the Japanese voices a lot too but its nice to not have to read subtitles. It makes it interesting enough to re-watch the episodes again.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 21:33   Link #76
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
It also downplays the swearing compared to other Funi dubs that are chock full of profanity. But that's far from a flaw. In fact, it makes the dub even better! They reserve the swearing for the more serious moments of the show, which makes them all the more poignant.
They probably did that to give it a better shot for a TV deal (and it still didn't happen, at least not yet).

Love the dub; Clinkenbeard as Erza was probably the obvious choice for a character in the history of dub-making. Here's to hoping that Funi acquires season 2.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 00:13   Link #77
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
They probably did that to give it a better shot for a TV deal (and it still didn't happen, at least not yet).

Love the dub; Clinkenbeard as Erza was probably the obvious choice for a character in the history of dub-making. Here's to hoping that Funi acquires season 2.
Don't hope for it. Make it happen.

Old 2012-02-03, 21:51   Link #78
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Actually, according to ANN, the release of the fourth volume (end of tower of heaven to half of fighting festival) will be pused back from end of feb to middle of march.
Old 2012-02-04, 12:02   Link #79
immblueversion

Hey, folks. It seems that someone has uploaded videos comparing the Funimation dub with the less known, less liked, less good Animax Asia dub, a dub that's so bad that some people actually confuse it for a fandub. And some who don't think it's a fandub think it's the only official dub. Well, these videos need to be seen more. Hopefully Funimation and/or TV Tokyo won't take these down, though the videos are actually audio clips with stills, so it seems unlikely.

For those who want to know which scenes are used before watching, here they are:

Part 1

1. Episode 22: Lucy begs to stay in Fairy Tail.
2. Episode 17: Gray defeats Lyon.
3. Episode 10: Erza meets with Siegrain (Jellal).
4. Episode 28: Makarov declares victory over Phantom Lord.

Part 2

1. Episode 27: Natsu gets even with Gajeel.
2. Episode 25: Juvia reflects on her "final moments".
3. Episode 25: Elfman and Mirajane talk about Lisanna.
4. Episode 10: Laxus boasts being the strongest member of Fairy Tail.

Last edited by immblueversion; 2012-02-12 at 05:55.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:57   Link #80
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Well, season 4 is out and about, and to you guys, if you wanna hear Tien and Winry's FUNIMATION voices, they're here, in Laxus' arc. Try to take a guess as to who they are.