AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 06:05   Link #121
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

KyoAni does tend to use their own staff much more than they use freelancers. It's not surprising that people attribute a look to KyoAni when Ikeda does the designs for half of their series.

Edit: Luckily for Reckoner though, the character designer for Hyouka, Nishiya (who's also the character designer for Nichijou, what do you know?), seems to be up-and-coming if I'm drawing the right conclusions from the staff listings . If I were to guess, I think he'll appear more as the character designer or as a key animator for future KyoAni projects. I don't keep up with staff information much though so I wouldn't know for sure .

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2012-07-27 at 06:15.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:55   Link #122
Warm Mist

Kyoani doesn't use freelancers period, actually.
And Nishiya is a prominent figure in Kyoani, he has been animating since Air and was the Chief Sakkan for Disappearance of Haruhi. It's good that he has started to do designs too.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:09   Link #123
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
KyoAni does tend to use their own staff much more than they use freelancers. It's not surprising that people attribute a look to KyoAni when Ikeda does the designs for half of their series.

Edit: Luckily for Reckoner though, the character designer for Hyouka, Nishiya (who's also the character designer for Nichijou, what do you know?), seems to be up-and-coming if I'm drawing the right conclusions from the staff listings . If I were to guess, I think he'll appear more as the character designer or as a key animator for future KyoAni projects. I don't keep up with staff information much though so I wouldn't know for sure .
Character Designers for KyoAni's works:
Fumoffu: Osamu Horichi
Munto (OVA): Tomoe Aratani
Munto 2 (OVA): Tomoe Aratani
AIR: Tomoe Aratani
The Second Raid: Osamu Horichi
Haruhi (2006): Shouko Ikeda
Kanon: Kazumi Ikeda
Lucky Star: Yukiko Horiguchi
Clannad: Kazumi Ikeda
Clannad After Story: Kazumi Ikeda
Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai: Tomoe Aratani
Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san: Futoshi Nishiya
K-On!: Yukiko Horiguchi
Haruhi (2009): Shouko Ikeda
Haruhi (movie): Shouko Ikeda
K-On!!: Yukiko Horiguchi
Nichijou: Futoshi Nishiya
Eiga K-On!: Yukiko Horiguchi
Hyouka: Futoshi Nishiya
Chuunibyou: Kazumi Ikeda

Outside of Haruhi, KyoAni's had a decent rotation of Tomoe Aratani/Osamu Horichi (2003/2005 works) Kazumi Ikeda/Yukiko Horiguchi, and now Futoshi Nishiya taking over. I imagine we'll see another new designer pop up for another future work. Ikeda likely took over so they could have a veteran staff for KyoAni's first KA Esuma work.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:31   Link #124
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Aesthetics are not that important at all because it is ANIMATION not illustration. Some people have their focus in the wrong places. Important things that people should care about are direction(storyboard, editing, framing, layout), Script, Animation (Character acting in this case).

Character acting is important and Kyoani is the only one who's doing it in this industry right now. This kind of stuff begun with K-ON, that show had really good direction and very rich animation, but I understand if people don't see it because is more difficult to impress with low key animation and is way easier when you do flashy action.
To give you an exaggerated example it's like having extremely fluid stick figures. Well unfortunately you're just animating stick figures, not that pleasing to look at.

I was just commenting on one aspect of this project anyways. This could still be entertaining no doubt, though I think this doesn't look very interesting at all personally, but it's not going to change the fact that I dislike their char designs here.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 07:53   Link #125
rulfo

Scan leak(?)

rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 07:59   Link #126
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Scan leak(?)

Spoiler for Tidiness:

Magic skirts, or in KyoAni's case, Troll Skirts.

Natch.
Old 2012-07-28, 08:19   Link #127
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Scan leak(?)

From Nyantype or Megami and given the text in the top right corner, I'm betting Nyantype. There'll be another image like this in the other magazine as reported on the website Thursday.

Edit: I had a 50/50 shot and missed. This is from Megami. Nyantype will have another image like this though.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-07-28 at 20:41.
Old 2012-07-28, 08:59   Link #128
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
Kyoani doesn't use freelancers period, actually.
And Nishiya is a prominent figure in Kyoani, he has been animating since Air and was the Chief Sakkan for Disappearance of Haruhi. It's good that he has started to do designs too.
I see. I was thinking that he might have been an animator who's now moving into other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Outside of Haruhi, KyoAni's had a decent rotation of Tomoe Aratani/Osamu Horichi (2003/2005 works) Kazumi Ikeda/Yukiko Horiguchi, and now Futoshi Nishiya taking over. I imagine we'll see another new designer pop up for another future work. Ikeda likely took over so they could have a veteran staff for KyoAni's first KA Esuma work.
I actually didn't realize that there were two Ikedas...

I have no idea what's supposed to be happening in that scan . The PV needs to hurry up and come out!
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 14:39   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Aesthetics are not that important at all because it is ANIMATION not illustration. Some people have their focus in the wrong places. Important things that people should care about are direction(storyboard, editing, framing, layout), Script, Animation (Character acting in this case).

Character acting is important and Kyoani is the only one who's doing it in this industry right now. This kind of stuff begun with K-ON, that show had really good direction and very rich animation, but I understand if people don't see it because is more difficult to impress with low key animation and is way easier when you do flashy action.
I feel like I've been over this before, but they really aren't the only ones doing these things you mention and I don't know how limited a pool of shows people have to be watching to continue to get this idea. There are plenty of shows I can point too with equally or even super art/animation direction to a lot of what Kyoani puts out. I think they have a certain style that they can kind of lay claim to as uniquely their own and I'd describe their output as having moments of great direction (moreso lately), but I hardly think they're the only ones capable of doing so. That idea is just ludicrous to me and kind of an insult to the hard work of the rest of the industries creative minds.

This idea of attention to detail....it's far more widespread than people seem to notice.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 15:42   Link #130
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Scan leak(?)

gawd gawd gawd so adorable.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 15:49   Link #131
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
From Nyantype or Megami and given the text in the top right corner, I'm betting Nyantype. There'll be another image like this in the other magazine as reported on the website Thursday.
I loved this pic because of Rikka's pose (and her "Kiraboshi" gesture). Plus her upskirt is handled without overdoning anything "lewd" or "annoying" kind of fanservice she provides.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 00:35   Link #132
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I feel like I've been over this before, but they really aren't the only ones doing these things you mention and I don't know how limited a pool of shows people have to be watching to continue to get this idea.
That's true, but they're the only ones doing it for every work, as a studio. That's obviously because they can and the other studios don't have the means to do it, but other works in the industry who achieve similar things are due to a greatly talented individual director like Nagai or Yuasa more than anything else.
And doing realistic character acting and low key animation at the level of consistency and fluidity Kyoani has achieved over the years is something no other studio (besides Ghibli) can proud itself in. If you try to point out an example, I assure you that you will be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I hardly think they're the only ones capable of doing so. That idea is just ludicrous to me and kind of an insult to the hard work of the rest of the industries creative minds.
Of course it's ludicrous! who in their right mind would deny the mind numbing work of directors like the aforementioned Yuasa and Nagai, Imaishi, or even Shinbo for all the controversy regarding him?

Actually I don't think Kyoani has the best directorial talent in the industry, they're certainly above average and their directors are given enough freedom and resources to develop ideas, but none of them has reached the level of the most acclaimed figures of the industry.

Their strength lies in their consistency and fluidity of animation, use of CG (compared to other studios) and digital composition, which combined make for overall visuals that are still unrivalled by anyone in the TV industry. Only up and coming new studios which coincidentally follow the same philosophy as Kyoani can be thought of as consistently good in these aspects (P.A.Works, ufotable, and GoHands. Especially GoHands.)
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 12:14   Link #133
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
That's true, but they're the only ones doing it for every work, as a studio. That's obviously because they can and the other studios don't have the means to do it, but other works in the industry who achieve similar things are due to a greatly talented individual director like Nagai or Yuasa more than anything else.
And doing realistic character acting and low key animation at the level of consistency and fluidity Kyoani has achieved over the years is something no other studio (besides Ghibli) can proud itself in. If you try to point out an example, I assure you that you will be wrong.

Of course it's ludicrous! who in their right mind would deny the mind numbing work of directors like the aforementioned Yuasa and Nagai, Imaishi, or even Shinbo for all the controversy regarding him?

Actually I don't think Kyoani has the best directorial talent in the industry, they're certainly above average and their directors are given enough freedom and resources to develop ideas, but none of them has reached the level of the most acclaimed figures of the industry.

Their strength lies in their consistency and fluidity of animation, use of CG (compared to other studios) and digital composition, which combined make for overall visuals that are still unrivalled by anyone in the TV industry. Only up and coming new studios which coincidentally follow the same philosophy as Kyoani can be thought of as consistently good in these aspects (P.A.Works, ufotable, and GoHands. Especially GoHands.)
Well yeah I think it's a matter of choice. Do you diverisfy and do multiple works with varying styles of animation and overall staff composition at once or do you focus all your energies and funding into one. Both are workable business models under the right circumstances. What works for Kyoani may not work for or even be prefferable for other studios with capital though.

Personally I see this model as a double edged sword though since it equates to putting all your eggs in one basket. Kyoani is fortunate as I've frequently mentioned that their core fanbase is for lack of a better word "hardcore" and has bought in all but entirely to what they are selling so they can even afford to take this risk in the immediate future, but I think their model allows for very little growth overall. I mean just using myself as an example it's going on 6 years and 12 productions now and I've only ever found a couple Kyoani shows that I could say I've found exceptional or even interesting when it comes to the overall package to any degree. That's not good. I'm sure that number would be much higher if there were more output and variety, but as it stands I can't exactly say they've won me over as a fan of the brand, while studios that have come into existence about as recently like A-1 have garnered my attention fairly frequently with their more traditional multi-studio method of producing anime and just the sheer variety of interesting output of late.

As it stands my impression of Kyoani actually has improved with time and a whole lot of quiet thought, but I still put them in about the same boat as Square Enix for me of late. Yeah their stuff usually looks really nice and it's clear they put a ton of effort into visuals, but the experience always seems to end up being lacking and hollow once you really get down to focusing on the core products content.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-29 at 12:31.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 14:13   Link #134
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 17:20   Link #135
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Scan translations! This contains some new information about the characters and the plot of the original novel, which I've tagged with the spoiler tag for those who do not wish to read anything new. There's two lines that I double-spoilered relating to details that occur past chapter 1 in the novel. Other than that, these are mainly spoiler-free.

Credit to Kismet-chan for providing these links:

Spoiler for translation:

Spoiler for translation:

Spoiler for translation:

Old 2012-07-29, 17:41   Link #136
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

these sypnosis seem to describe denpa onna to seishun ottoko, an i still wonder why there havent been any images of the anime with the pick haires twin-tailed gril from the first image in this thread.
Old 2012-07-29, 17:43   Link #137
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
these sypnosis seem to describe denpa onna to seishun ottoko, an i still wonder why there havent been any images of the anime with the pick haires twin-tailed gril from the first image in this thread.
Because she's from the second novel, which ANN screwed up and thought was the synopsis of the series. The anime itself is only using the first novel as a base, so it's doubtful she'll even appear.

Old 2012-07-29, 18:07   Link #138
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Thanks for the translation! I do hope that Ishihara will be able to do something a bit different with the whole normal male/"cute, pitiful" female dynamic since he himself admits it's getting more difficult to make something fresh out of it. In any case, I'm glad to hear that they will be getting a bit more ambitious with this project.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 20:32   Link #139
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Because she's from the second novel, which ANN screwed up and thought was the synopsis of the series. The anime itself is only using the first novel as a base, so it's doubtful she'll even appear.
so 1st novel its totally different to the second? or they are just ussing the first novel as a base, but an entirely original story?
Old 2012-07-29, 20:42   Link #140
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
so 1st novel its totally different to the second? or they are just ussing the first novel as a base, but an entirely original story?
(I really need to make a novel thread) Since this is an anime thread, I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll admit that the second novel picks up where the first novel ends. At the same time, it wouldn't be suitable for an anime to adapt both novels in one season by themselves. They're going to expand on the first novel, which sounds like it'll work best given the plot. There's going to be original aspects, but the plot will remain similar.

Edit: We finally have a novel thread! All novel discussion moves over there! (Also made a new Rikka signature for easy access (novel left, anime right).)

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-07-29 at 21:32.

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen