AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 27 34.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 29.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 20.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 11.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-08, 01:05   Link #81
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub, which I must say, is pretty large.

Random Thoughts on Ep05:
---- ----
  • As others have mentioned already, I believe it is Mayuko in the blood-pool.
  • Upon rewatching the OP, I wonder if the sparkles in the air are fragments of a disintegrating Matsuri?
  • After waiting so long since the Audio Drama Prologue(ADP), Mayuko finally makes her début anime appearance as the "Loli-in-a-Trashcan". I wonder if this trashcan is the same one that she bought in the ADP.
  • As always, the banter between Mayuko and Takeshi is delightful.
  • About Matsuri's début ponytail appearance... I give you an animated GIF to convey my thoughts about it.

• Why is Matsuri exhausted from running?
  • Clothing in sola never seem to get wet. Makes me wonder why they even bother with umbrellas.
  • They subvert a cliché during the boat scene, then use it in the very next moment.
  • Yorito loses points for allowing Matsuri to row the boat. Honestly!
  • Background animation continues to retain a high level of animation detail.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yorito & Matsuri
    "You never thought about the fact that I may use the living room?"
    "Yep."
    "Nice response..."
    "Thank you."
    Well, she did have 700 years of practice.
  • I guess I am in the minority here, but I like the music during the action scenes.
  • Surprising that nobody wondered what will Mana make of everything now.
  • Still no real previews.
Cheers.
Old 2007-05-08, 02:15   Link #82
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
One technical note that bothered me: During many of Matsuri's lines, there is a high pitched squeal. I noticed this on an earlier episode, as well.

It is... very aggravating.

I'm guessing that the audio engineer, like most, wasn't able to hear a pitch that high, and so didn't notice it and realize that it needed a low-pass filter.
Old 2007-05-08, 03:00   Link #83
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]Upon rewatching the OP, I wonder if the sparkles in the air are fragments of a disintegrating Matsuri?
Oh, you just have to keep fueling my tragedy detector, do you ?

Quote:
[*]Surprising that nobody wondered what will Mana make of everything now.

Cheers.
I did

(un)fortunately they introduced a way for them to get out of the situation by the help of some white lies. It started to rain (convenient, isn't it ? ), meaning that Yorito can carry Matsuri back without her emitting smoke along the way, and come up with a story of some maniac attacking them... then again, Yorito doesn't seem very good with lying

What i am interested in... how things are going to proceed? Obviously, the house is not a safe place any more. And i think Matsuri will try to leave again *senses second "bye bye" incoming. Also, i wonder how serious Yorito's injury is ? In all honesty: if that blow was intended to finish Matsuri, then Yorito shouldn't have gotten away with what seems a scratch.
Old 2007-05-08, 04:00   Link #84
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Oh, you just have to keep fueling my tragedy detector, do you ?

I did

(un)fortunately they introduced a way for them to get out of the situation by the help of some white lies. It started to rain (convenient, isn't it ? ), meaning that Yorito can carry Matsuri back without her emitting smoke along the way, and come up with a story of some maniac attacking them... then again, Yorito doesn't seem very good with lying

What i am interested in... how things are going to proceed? Obviously, the house is not a safe place any more. And i think Matsuri will try to leave again *senses second "bye bye" incoming. Also, i wonder how serious Yorito's injury is ? In all honesty: if that blow was intended to finish Matsuri, then Yorito shouldn't have gotten away with what seems a scratch.
Here's a thought; I predicted that Aono was going to come home sooner or later. What if, instead of her joining Yorito at home, Yorito joins Aono instead in the hospital? With Matsuri in tow, what's more.

High potential for a catfight, and Glasses Man will once again be faced with a "WTF where did they go" moment, again.
Old 2007-05-08, 09:45   Link #85
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Also, i wonder how serious Yorito's injury is ? In all honesty: if that blow was intended to finish Matsuri, then Yorito shouldn't have gotten away with what seems a scratch.
If Takeshi caught himself in the mid-swing, it's reasonable that Yorito wasn't severely injured.

What's odd is that he was swinging, not thrusting.
Old 2007-05-08, 10:07   Link #86
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
If Takeshi caught himself in the mid-swing, it's reasonable that Yorito wasn't severely injured.

What's odd is that he was swinging, not thrusting.
Well, Matsuri did say she's pretty hard to kill. I'm fairly certain that Glasses Man was aiming to decapitate her; apart from the sunlight, it might well be she can't die by any other method, not even if you spill her guts onto the floor. She certainly has one heck of a healing factor; you wanna take her out, you'll hafta do it clean and fast, is what I'm guessing.

Additional thoughts:

1) I asked this question in the last episode thread, but no one bothered to reply, so I'll rehash this question again; why is J.C. Staff in the credits? What role is it exactly that they play? My educated guess is that they're responsible for the background art, but I'll like the full story from someone who's in the know, please.

2) Either there's something wrong with my eyes, or there really is no Music Discussion thread for the Sola forum. I will have to request one....but first, about that piano piece that plays every time Matsuri gets herself lost in a fantasy of clear skies. What is the name of that piece, and where can I obtain a copy of the piano sheets for it?

3) Mayuko: "Usotsuki."

Sorry, little girl. Nayuki still holds the title of Best "Usotsuki".

4) I'm starting to think I may have a grasp on the motivations of Glasses Man and Rozen Loli. My guess here, is that Matsuri is somehow responsible for Rozen Loli never growing up, and thus being taken for a monster as seen in Glasses Man's last flashback scene, where the younger him is hugging a younger Mayuko against a crowd probably attempting to burn her at the stake, or something. Therefore, they're now both searching for Matsuri, whom they believe to probably be the one who made Rozen Loli the way she is in the first place.

However, how come Rozen Loli wants to talk to Matsuri, while Glasses Man wants to kill her before the former gets the chance to? Here's my hypothesis; they both agree on the fact that the antidote for Mayuko's condition lies with Matsuri. However, Takeshi knows, or at the very least sincerely believes, one thing that Mayuko has no clue about; that Matsuri's death is absolutely necessary to set things right with Mayuko. Because of this, Mayuko believes that she can ask Matsuri as to how to reverse her condition, while Takeshi knows the truth. However, not wishing to reveal to Mayuko the ugly truth, Takeshi therefore hunts Matsuri in secret, while at the same time trying to keep traces of his murdering behaviour from the eyes of Mayuko.

Just a guess, that is all. Don't come at me if it turns out false, and it certainly is no spoiler either, so a certain someone better not dock my rep for supposedly spoiling him.
Old 2007-05-08, 10:34   Link #87
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, it was a good episode. Seeing Matsuri do her "Seed" mode thing is really...scary. Also, looks like Aono knew now that there was a girl in her brother's life other than her (and Koyori or Mana). Looking at her expression...she's jealous
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-05-08, 10:50   Link #88
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Additional thoughts:

1) I asked this question in the last episode thread, but no one bothered to reply, so I'll rehash this question again; why is J.C. Staff in the credits? What role is it exactly that they play? My educated guess is that they're responsible for the background art, but I'll like the full story from someone who's in the know, please.
The art director of the series is from J.C. Staff. And yes the company is also respobsible for the background art.

Quote:
3) Mayuko: "Usotsuki."

Sorry, little girl. Nayuki still holds the title of Best "Usotsuki".
Nah. Rena from Higurashi is always the queen of the "uso" department. Maybe Aono who shares the same seiyuu with Rena will have a chance to show her uso-pwness in the next episode.

Aono: Yorito, whom did you have dinner with yesterday?
Yorito: Eeh... Ah... Just the same as before. I had dinner myself at home.
Aono: Uso...
Yorito: Huh? Nee-san?
Aono: I know it. There is another girl in our house. Usotsuki...
Yorito: What? Nee-san, what're you talking about...
Aono: USOOOOOODAAAA!!!
(turns into Oyashiro-sama mode and pulls out a cleaver...)

As for the speculation on the relationship between Matsuri, Takeshi and Mayuko, I think it sounds plausible, but we still haven't fit Aono into the whole puzzle, despite the fact that she is the second largest character in the posters (yea the sizes of the characters are usually in proportion to their significance). Guess we have to wait till Aono get into full action before we can have a clue about her background.
Old 2007-05-08, 11:15   Link #89
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
The art director of the series is from J.C. Staff. And yes the company is also respobsible for the background art.

So, what part in this does Nomad play, exactly? I thought this was their thing.....
Old 2007-05-08, 11:28   Link #90
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post

Nah. Rena from Higurashi is always the queen of the "uso" department. Maybe Aono who shares the same seiyuu with Rena will have a chance to show her uso-pwness in the next episode.

Aono: Yorito, whom did you have dinner with yesterday?
Yorito: Eeh... Ah... Just the same as before. I had dinner myself at home.
Aono: Uso...
Yorito: Huh? Nee-san?
Aono: I know it. There is another girl in our house. Usotsuki...
Yorito: What? Nee-san, what're you talking about...
Aono: USOOOOOODAAAA!!!
(turns into Oyashiro-sama mode and pulls out a cleaver...)

As for the speculation on the relationship between Matsuri, Takeshi and Mayuko, I think it sounds plausible, but we still haven't fit Aono into the whole puzzle, despite the fact that she is the second largest character in the posters (yea the sizes of the characters are usually in proportion to their significance). Guess we have to wait till Aono get into full action before we can have a clue about her background.
I don't know if it is significant or not, but in the group setting at the end of the op they have Matsuri in the middle with all the normal people on her right. On her left, Aono is between her and Mayuko with Tukeshi on the end. I wonder if the cure for Mayuko will be transfering her condition to Aono, perhaps as a way of saving Aono since we don't know what is wrong with her yet.
Old 2007-05-08, 11:42   Link #91
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Additional thought: was it only me who expected more reaction from Mana when she saw Yorito/Matsuri, with the bloody stain on Yorito's back and all ? Don't tell me she didn't notice - it is kinda hard to miss ^__^.
Old 2007-05-08, 17:38   Link #92
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ she "brain lagged" there shock can do that to people O.o or that the sun was in her eyes...but its really nothing big to dwell on ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
4) I'm starting to think I may have a grasp on the motivations of Glasses Man and Rozen Loli. My guess here, is that Matsuri is somehow responsible for Rozen Loli never growing up, and thus being taken for a monster as seen in Glasses Man's last flashback scene, where the younger him is hugging a younger Mayuko against a crowd probably attempting to burn her at the stake, or something. Therefore, they're now both searching for Matsuri, whom they believe to probably be the one who made Rozen Loli the way she is in the first place.

However, how come Rozen Loli wants to talk to Matsuri, while Glasses Man wants to kill her before the former gets the chance to? Here's my hypothesis; they both agree on the fact that the antidote for Mayuko's condition lies with Matsuri. However, Takeshi knows, or at the very least sincerely believes, one thing that Mayuko has no clue about; that Matsuri's death is absolutely necessary to set things right with Mayuko. Because of this, Mayuko believes that she can ask Matsuri as to how to reverse her condition, while Takeshi knows the truth. However, not wishing to reveal to Mayuko the ugly truth, Takeshi therefore hunts Matsuri in secret, while at the same time trying to keep traces of his murdering behaviour from the eyes of Mayuko.

Just a guess, that is all. Don't come at me if it turns out false, and it certainly is no spoiler either, so a certain someone better not dock my rep for supposedly spoiling him.
decent thought but rather far fetched imo ~ there just isnt enough hints to Mayuko's reason for being with takeshi as of yet...so im still holding out for some development on her as well before the series ends right now all we know is that takeshi saved her from being killed...and that affection he has towards her is linked to the girl he couldnt save in the past (imouto? O.o) ~ but heck its better than what i can think of XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-08, 18:04   Link #93
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Additional thought: was it only me who expected more reaction from Mana when she saw Yorito/Matsuri, with the bloody stain on Yorito's back and all ? Don't tell me she didn't notice - it is kinda hard to miss ^__^.
Sure she noticed...She already noticed that house was messy...Her seventh sense has worked already quite well as we saw in ep 3. Although Yorito and Matsuri did abundant job with covering tracks and background story was not filling even minimum weight. At least Matsuri should had food in upstairs for longer hiding .

Last edited by Anacone; 2007-05-08 at 18:22.
Old 2007-05-08, 18:21   Link #94
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well sometimes I'm honestly just surprised. I've been popping back into this forum every so often and from what I can tell Sola has developed the "Anything Else" quality and in a large enough quantity to offset the usual boring harem formula. In this case, mystery, a bit of action, real character development (tangible character background not just moe stuff they do) real drama (not just angst) and absolutely postiviely most importantly for me, character relations that don't all revolve around the male lead (Instead of him in the center and a line pointing from him to each girl and back creating a ray of sunshine like effect, this has more of a web, the kind of character relationships lacking in so many of these types of shows). Well I guess I'm in again, even if I can picture the ending the character relationships seem to be enough to make this a worthwhile watch.
Old 2007-05-08, 19:25   Link #95
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
At least this episode shifts things into higher gear, but we expect a heck lot of drama and so on to happen if that goes.
Old 2007-05-09, 09:46   Link #96
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
...and that affection he has towards her is linked to the girl he couldnt save in the past (imouto? O.o) ~ but heck its better than what i can think of XD
I'm 95% certain that those girls are one and the same person =) Seeing that Rozen Loli has stayed as Rozen Loli for seventeen years, and is always hiding out from the sun just like Matsuri is, it would be natural to assume that she has been afflicted with the same condition as Matsuri (I'd like to call it Porphyric Hemophilia ) ever since that day 17 years ago. To add something from the loony bin, I'll add that Matsuri may have saved Rozen Loli's life back then, at the expense of granting her immortality. Maybe she made her drink her blood to compensate for the blood loss?
Old 2007-05-09, 12:37   Link #97
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well Im a little late getting in here honestly i knew nothing about the series before its start. but i had heard others comment on it frequently. I sat down last night and watched all 5 current episodes back to back. I must say that im impressed and pleasently surprised. First off the story is fun and keeps you intersted by providing just enough information to keep you interested yet not rushing or giving away too much story at once. Also, I love the animation which is no surprised consideing Nomad made it.. Matsuri Shihou's seniyuu Mamiko Noto in my opinion does a great job bring out the emotion of her character and the range of her voice is perfect for the role.

I will say the biggest surprise to me was finding out that Matsuri was not human and im starting think that Aono is not human either. Iv loved everything leading up to episode 5 and its just made my curosity grow more and more. I will definetly be watching Sola every week now without fail

Last edited by Sinestra; 2007-05-09 at 12:51.
Old 2007-05-09, 12:41   Link #98
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

errm... where do you see a blatant proof aono isn't human? (it might be true, since she looks like having a link with Matsuri, but there isn't any solid evidence yet... or did i miss it? ~~)
Old 2007-05-09, 12:54   Link #99
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
errm... where do you see a blatant proof aono isn't human? (it might be true, since she looks like having a link with Matsuri, but there isn't any solid evidence yet... or did i miss it? ~~)
No you didnt miss anything i made a couple of typos so it was not written the way i wanted to say it. There has been nothing said about Aono being anything but human. I just have a hunch with the way things are unfolding i could be totally wrong but i cant shake the feeling that there is more to her than just being a normal human. So no there is no solid evidence sorry for the confusion
Old 2007-05-09, 14:30   Link #100
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I'm 95% certain that those girls are one and the same person =) Seeing that Rozen Loli has stayed as Rozen Loli for seventeen years, and is always hiding out from the sun just like Matsuri is, it would be natural to assume that she has been afflicted with the same condition as Matsuri (I'd like to call it Porphyric Hemophilia ) ever since that day 17 years ago. To add something from the loony bin, I'll add that Matsuri may have saved Rozen Loli's life back then, at the expense of granting her immortality. Maybe she made her drink her blood to compensate for the blood loss?
you have a point there...i was going to comment that they both have different eye colours but looking again the hues are near enough the same O.o

could be a good point that she was saved by matsuri but the side effect resulted in her being immortal...that the second scene a few years later where people are supposidly trying to kill the "vampire" ~ hmm

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread