AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-27, 16:29   Link #1
Abashi

Are Cali youth more conservative?

I have noticed that nearly everybody on the Internet from California is either conservative or libertarian, about 90% of the time. On many forums, often those anime related, only the Californians are conservative and everybody else is liberal. Why is everybody with in the younger online generation so conservative in California?

*old post*

California isn't a Democrat/Blue state. The state is mixed, it has generally favored Democrats on national races, but Republicans on local races. The state is ran by more Democrats with a moderate GOP governor, however the state population is predominately conservative and VERY REDNECK. Most of California is culturally and politically like a red state, with the exceptions being the Bay Area and Los Angeles Basin.

Some notable issues would be that: -) the most important political issues are the death penalty and immigration, California is more pro-death penalty than any other state even Texas; & -) also take into account that CA Democrats are generally more moderate while its Republicans are very right-wing.

This being the case, California will probably favor Republicans on both the national and especially the local level in the near future, especially once its younger more militarized populace start voting in higher numbers; *younger generations in California are predominately Republican or libertarian/independent while older union oriented generations favor Democrats. Also, highest growth rates are in San Diego and the Central Valley, which make up most of the conservative Republican voting population in the state.
Abashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 21:02   Link #2
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Really? As a "Cali Youth", this is kinda news to me. I'm definitely not conservative, personally (just about the only liberal measure I oppose is Affirmative Action). Then again, my teens are coming to an end, so I dunno if that's too old for you...

This is a highly regional issue. There are primarily 2 urban centers in CA and you already named the: the bay and LA. Here you have your UC Berkeley and Haight-Ashbury and gay parades.

The other parts of CA are basically farmland that comprises a significant portion of the nation's agriculture. All of the US grown tomatoes, citrus, avocadoes, and other Mediterranean plants are cultivated here. Yeah, that's a lot of land, basically 95% of CA is farmland. Many of these farmers are the direct descendants of the original migrant farmers to Cali and are relatively isolated from liberal Cali, so they tend to be more conservative and "redneck".

There is much more to the equation than just region, but that wouldn't be "politically correct" to talk about on a public forum.

My friends and I are basically all atheist/agnostic liberals, who are very socially liberal (some are fiscally conservative). But then again, I'm from the bay and never really stayed in SoCal long enough to soak up the political mood there.
Old 2008-07-27, 21:40   Link #3
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Anywhere you go, there is a strong divide in politics between urban (liberal) and rural (conservative).

This divide transcends age and education. But the cities don't give some strange "liberalization aura". There is something deeper. A clue can be drawn from political divide between the rich, for instance: the divide tends to be between the "self-made" rich (who tend to be conservative) and the "silver spoon" rich (who tend to be liberal).

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 23:39   Link #4
Abashi

Quote:
This is a highly regional issue. There are primarily 2 urban centers in CA and you already named the: the bay and LA. Here you have your UC Berkeley and Haight-Ashbury and gay parades.
Your right, its highly regional. The bay area and LA are not the only two urban areas though. I don't know whether or not you would consider OC to be a part of the LA "urban area" or not. However, San Diego is another urban area and its ultraconservative > it contains about 3 million people. Also, Riverside and San Bernardino counties contain around 2 million people each > both being very conservative redneck. By many, Orange County is considered part of the LA area since it takes place primarily on the basin; however it does vote Republican and contains about 3 million people, the same population as San Diego. Also, highest growth rates are in the red counties, and one of the fastest growing is Riverside County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_California

PS: If your curious, I tend to be more left/radical in my own opinions and mindset.
Old 2008-07-28, 00:36   Link #5
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Yes, I would consider OC + universities around the LA area (Occidental, etc.) "urban" and in the same category as LA itself.

It's kind of irrelevant since communities in general do not really represent youths in the community completely. Political profiles are highly correlated among family though.

In the end, I really have no answer for you. I lived in a liberal South Bay suburb and now go to UC Berkeley. As sad as it is, the Bay Area is highly divided among race/class between and sometimes even within cities (ethnic ghettos), so it's hard to get to know people from different backgrounds very well. My HS had under 30 Latino and African American students. The school had almost 2000 students total. An adjacent town has the reverse composition.

I'm curious to know though, where are you getting the "90% of Californians are conservative" statistics? I don't notice that trend here, nor on soompi.com, which has MANY young Californians
Old 2008-07-28, 00:40   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

If anything Cali youth are more liberal than conservative. Look at statistics concerning gay marriage approval. As the generations get younger, the approval of it goes way up.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 01:23   Link #7
Abashi

Quote:
I'm curious to know though, where are you getting the "90% of Californians are conservative" statistics? I don't notice that trend here, nor on soompi.com, which has MANY young Californians
I was exaggerating, but I have noticed more conservative posters from California. Though, posters from the Bay Area and Los Angeles tended to be more liberal. When every there is somebody from down here in San Diego, that person is conservative military-oriented, or is a rich snobbish asshole.

Quote:
Yes, I would consider OC + universities around the LA area (Occidental, etc.) "urban" and in the same category as LA itself.
I agree, OC is a part of the LA metro area. Even if its politics are different, the areas demographically and culturally are very similar.

However, San Diego and the Inland Empire are conservative high population areas. Both in which, are both politically conservative and culturally backwards. San Diego is a metropolitan city with almost 2 million people, and its solidly Republican.

Down here in San Diego, there are two classes of neighborhoods: upper class & military. The military are even further to the right and more conservative than the rich. San Diego has the highest concentration of NAVY in the ENTIRE WORLD, also having the highest concentration of Marine Corps. The high concentration of military also attract white evangelicals to the area, and the rich are often former military.

Quote:
It's kind of irrelevant since communities in general do not really represent youths in the community completely. Political profiles are highly correlated among family though.
Your right, the youth community and the remainder of the community are often very different. In most communities, the youth are more liberal; but down where I live the youth are more conservative. Here in San Diego, the youth are more militarized and much more solidly conservative than older people locally. The only liberals down here are relatively old, and Democrats are generally union workers. Almost everyone around my age, even girls, tend to favor Republicans and hate the liberals.
Old 2008-07-28, 02:11   Link #8
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I think this just stems from the stereotype that Californians are ultra-liberal hippies. You tend to remember things that go against what you'd expect, like a conservative poster from CA.

SD sounds pretty different than the Bay, probably because of who the military usually attracts. Much of the armed forces comes from the poor in the Midwest for financial incentives. That's why many of them are "culturally backward" and "conservative white evangelicals". All of the soldiers are young and part of the "internet generation", which may be the reason. Very high numbers of military personnel who are usually from the Midwest probably has a huge impact on the culture of SD. This is all really just speculation, I've been to SD...twice. Beautiful city, UCSD kicks ass and a lot of my friends are going there, but that's about the extent of my knowledge about that area.

I'm still kinda curious what forums you're talking about. It's rare to have a poster that is from non-LA, non-Bay Area parts of CA anyway. But yeah, a surprising amount of Californians are conservative. If that's what you mean, then I agree.
Old 2008-07-28, 04:33   Link #9
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

NorCal is one of the most liberal place on the planet mostly from college youngsters. Just what I see when I'm out around the Bay Area.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 07:18   Link #10
Abashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I think this just stems from the stereotype that Californians are ultra-liberal hippies. You tend to remember things that go against what you'd expect, like a conservative poster from CA.

SD sounds pretty different than the Bay, probably because of who the military usually attracts. Much of the armed forces comes from the poor in the Midwest for financial incentives. That's why many of them are "culturally backward" and "conservative white evangelicals". All of the soldiers are young and part of the "internet generation", which may be the reason. Very high numbers of military personnel who are usually from the Midwest probably has a huge impact on the culture of SD. This is all really just speculation, I've been to SD...twice. Beautiful city, UCSD kicks ass and a lot of my friends are going there, but that's about the extent of my knowledge about that area.

I'm still kinda curious what forums you're talking about. It's rare to have a poster that is from non-LA, non-Bay Area parts of CA anyway. But yeah, a surprising amount of Californians are conservative. If that's what you mean, then I agree.
Your right, people in San Diego tend to be conservative white evangelicals, and the soldiers are part of the internet generation; meaning virtually everyone on the Internet from here is conservative.

I see a lot of CA posters, not just from LA and the Bay; but often from the Inland Empire as well > lots of young people. It depends on which forums, go to a forum about cars or guns; most CA posters there are from the SD area. When in anime forums, very rarely are people from around here; but there are tons of people from here on the Internet.

Quote:
NorCal is one of the most liberal place on the planet mostly from college youngsters. Just what I see when I'm out around the Bay Area.
Yesh. I've been to SF, its like a different country from here.
Old 2008-07-28, 16:00   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Except that the Bay Area isn't "Northern California". Move a few inches to the right on the map and it gets rural conservative.

Sweeping generalizations usually fail...
Old 2008-07-28, 19:26   Link #12
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Conservatives, in MY California? And youngsters at that?

Sorry, it'd be the same as saying that being caught by the SS meant enjoying tea parties and cupcakes.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 20:34   Link #13
Nervous Venus

If 22 counts as "youth", then count me in. I'm actually conservative.

Though I've answered liberal in two cases: abortion and gay marriages. I don't agree with it, but I don't think the government should regulate what anyone chooses to do with their lives.

I'm pretty much a rare case here, as it's primarily liberal around my area (LA).
Old 2008-07-30, 00:35   Link #14
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If anything Cali youth are more liberal than conservative. Look at statistics concerning gay marriage approval. As the generations get younger, the approval of it goes way up.
Generally speaking, a Cali conservative would still be considered a dirty liberal outside of the state.

I'd guess that most conservatives here, are more libertarian than Republican.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 07:54   Link #15
Lilithium
Banned

I played World of Warcraft with a teenager from California. The kid was so obnoxious! His laughter, his attitude, his stupid racist jokes, and complete lack of respect for fellow humans made me not want to associate with the twerp.
Lilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 13:43   Link #16
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I thought California is mostly Liberal? Considering all the hippy hollywood people and all that jazz.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 14:17   Link #17
Hage-bai
Banned

Thumbs down crappy thread and original argument

chock a block of sweeping generalizations.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 17:19   Link #18
Abashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Generally speaking, a Cali conservative would still be considered a dirty liberal outside of the state.

I'd guess that most conservatives here, are more libertarian than Republican.
This is not the case where I live though. In San Diego, Republicans are very rabid while Democrats are more conservative.
Old 2008-07-31, 01:18   Link #19
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Except that the Bay Area isn't "Northern California". Move a few inches to the right on the map and it gets rural conservative.

Sweeping generalizations usually fail...
If people are talking about "NorCal", it is usually associated with SF - Bay Area, because most of the population is condense in this area. High population makes a difference in these types of assumptions.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 02:35   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is a strategic mistake to assume that because the coastline of California is "liberal" (whatever the hell that means) it follows that the whole state is "liberal".
California election returns show a much closer distribution of Dems and Repubs state-wide. The Valley region (I-5 corridor) tends to run more moderate to conservative.

Northern California is usually meant as anything "north of Fresno" from the coast to the Sierras, So it includes not only San Francisco but Marin county, Humboldt, Shasta, Sacramento, Turlock, Livermore, Tahoe, etc etc. which all together constitute a considerable part of the total population (though not the majority).