AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2011-11-18, 12:03   Link #21
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzemomona12 View Post
Very good tips. What about google translator? I heard it's kinda crap, but has anyone tried it?
Stick the script of an average anime episode into google translator and you MIGHT be able to get the gist of what's being said for about ~30% of the lines.

The problem is even if the meaning is there sometimes it's still a jumbled, grammatically insane mess and not even readable at the speed necessary for subs.

Actually I was curious and I happen to have a couple anime scripts in word format lying around (because of my job).

I won't mention what the original source is for this, but let's just see how google translator does on the opening monologue to a certain show:

"正Shiki venerable shrine located in Kyoto Triangle Shimogamo Kamo River and surrounded by mountains Hodoare such Takano, Shimogamo Among these is the shrine of the leading marriage, including pre-existing peace, and our various divine virtues Erubeku years, noodle stalls that have infested every night in the neighborhood that many worshipers visit the little-known
Ramen cat called names, the truth about the rumors that have taken the noodles in broth is not clear but that the cat is incomparable taste"

Okay, that was a completely unfair test... Let's try something a bit more "conversational":

"
I: You will receive massage as Takeru Then I
H: For example ...
T: Most Outsu Whoa!
I: I do like where Takeru
T: Sales, yeah, we really feels
I: Well, not like this?
T: Oh sale! Or dangerous-up ...
I: Takeru I also like to massage his back
T: If, we do, we can not get to do that is ...
I: (S) Displaying refrain.
T: - Dangerous there!"
"
From Makenki episode 4.

So, yeah. Google translate can be very entertaining.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 14:38   Link #22
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

I'm learning Japanese on a very, very low level, and even I can see that it fails abysmally on anything not very simple.

However, I can't really read kanji yet and I actually find the sound function useful now and then. Just paste the text, click and listen to it, then try to decipher.
Old 2011-11-18, 20:40   Link #23
8thSin
*Fansubber

J-E translators should be at the level where they have perfect grasp of Japanese grammar before they attempt to translate anything that will be viewed by the masses.

That is, no more than a few terms not recognized in every line. You can just use dictionary to fill in the gaps.

Trying to decipher Google results like the one Quarkboy posted can be done by anyone, and obviously no better than guessing. I don't think a Japanese speaker can guess any better.
From what I've seen, Google Translate is decent for properly written documents like news articles, but it's hopeless for everyday conversations (especially in Asian languages).

Also, the problem with Google Translate is that it only gives you one choice and you're stuck with it. If it mistranslates one key word in the sentence, you'll probably never going to get the correct translation.
8thSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 20:49   Link #24
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
"正Shiki venerable shrine located in Kyoto Triangle Shimogamo Kamo River and surrounded by mountains Hodoare such Takano, Shimogamo Among these is the shrine of the leading marriage, including pre-existing peace, and our various divine virtues Erubeku years, noodle stalls that have infested every night in the neighborhood that many worshipers visit the little-known
Ramen cat called names, the truth about the rumors that have taken the noodles in broth is not clear but that the cat is incomparable taste"
Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 21:38   Link #25
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei?
Yeah. Well, I'll admit that's probably one of the longest first sentences of any anime ever...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-11-19, 02:37   Link #26
Zalis

Quote:
Do NOT become a fan translator for following reasons:

- "I want to spread the Japanese culture, and give back to the community": This is 2011, not the '90s, and there are more groups than needed. The community does not need you, and the content will be translated with or without you. The only exception is if you're planning to translate old anime, obscure movies, or actually find a dorama series no one wants to sub. However, chances are such content will never be wide-spread even with your translation, so you will ultimately not be able to achieve this goal.
I wouldn't say those are the only exceptions. There's also not-so-old dropped and stalled series out there, not to mention the "kiddy but not completely Kodomo" long-running Magical Girl and card-game/critter-battle shounen anime out there. I also see demand for translations of:

* DVD/BD omake shorts.
* Extra scenes and Next Episode Previews not present in the TV broadcast.
* Extra episodes added for DVD/BD.

CR and the like don't cover any of those three items, since they normally only deal with the TV versions before moving on to the next season. They're also maddening for individuals and groups in the DVD/BD remux/re-releasing world, since most of them don't have access to translators. In fact, I think DmonHiro and I are about the only people in that "scene" that have any TL ability whatsoever, and we've both lent a hand to various other groups in TLing extra content.

So it's a niche, but there is a demand and an opportunity to contribute to the community out there.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 04:53   Link #27
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

Don't forget the Drama CD, which will never be commercially translated.
Old 2011-11-19, 05:50   Link #28
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsiderPhlebas View Post
Don't forget the Drama CD, which will never be commercially translated.
I very much agree with this, such a shame.

Radio shows too maybe.
Old 2011-11-19, 11:10   Link #29
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^

Not to mention audio commentaries, especially the character ones... I only know of the Code Geass staff commentaries being translated for the English release...

And interviews etc that can be found in magazines and stuff.

Personally, I think radio shows are still too much of a niche area...and they're arguably the most difficult to translate too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
They're also maddening for individuals and groups in the DVD/BD remux/re-releasing world, since most of them don't have access to translators.
That certainly explains some things about some allegedly reputable groups...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 12:19   Link #30
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I'd just like to point out that the official release of Dennou Coil part 2 I just finished up with Siren Visual in australia includes a bonus disc with literally ~250 minutes of extras. 9, 20 minute interviews with the voice actresses of most of the characters, 2 30 minute show summary specials (eps 13.5 and 22.5), and another 20 minutes of behind the scenes extras.

Also, for MM!, I helped Sentai by translating an audio commentary track by the voice actresses which is on the release.

So don't say those bonus tracks never get officially translated. It's rare, but it happens!
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-11-20, 03:54   Link #31
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
Also, the problem with Google Translate is that it only gives you one choice and you're stuck with it. If it mistranslates one key word in the sentence, you'll probably never going to get the correct translation.
Actually, it gives multiple choices now, at least with French to English.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 08:31   Link #32
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I very much agree with this, such a shame.

Radio shows too maybe.
Thing is I have a few anime drama CDs and some audio tracks from some seiyuus. Even if I transilterate them, there's no 'image' to upload subs to, so how would one know any better and be able to follow what's being heard to an audio only source anyways?

Magazines... could be a possibility, but is the translation just attached in a seperate file or scanned into a cleaned source of the mag?

Kinda curious how thing would work outside of the anime/manga scan fan realms

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 09:08   Link #33
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Thing is I have a few anime drama CDs and some audio tracks from some seiyuus. Even if I transilterate them, there's no 'image' to upload subs to, so how would one know any better and be able to follow what's being heard to an audio only source anyways?
Not quite sure what you mean, but for the Drama CDs I've been involved in subbing we've taken a nice picture involving the characters, perhaps the CD cover, and just timed subs to the audio.

Also did a VOMIC, but then it's kinda obvious that you go with the pictures they provide...
Old 2011-11-20, 11:24   Link #34
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean, but for the Drama CDs I've been involved in subbing we've taken a nice picture involving the characters, perhaps the CD cover, and just timed subs to the audio.
I think Mystique meant that it can sometimes be difficult to follow along to just a text translation. I personally think the different voices would be enough of a giveaway...but maybe it is more difficult if one really doesn't know Japanese at all?

But what you said about drama CD subbing solves that. It's quite a lot of work though, isn't it?

Quote:
Magazines... could be a possibility, but is the translation just attached in a seperate file or scanned into a cleaned source of the mag?

Kinda curious how thing would work outside of the anime/manga scan fan realms
Er...for magazines, I have also seen 'scanlations', both in English and in Japanese.

But it really puzzles me when the text covers a lot of the page though...I personally just translate and post the text (either on the forum or in a blog post). *shrugs*

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 11:31   Link #35
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I think Mystique meant that it can sometimes be difficult to follow along to just a text translation. I personally think the different voices would be enough of a giveaway...but maybe it is more difficult if one really doesn't know Japanese at all?

But what you said about drama CD subbing solves that. It's quite a lot of work though, isn't it?
Sometimes we've used different colours for different persons, but I don't really think it's worth it. I think that the audience is pretty hardcore, so they probably tag along with the voices and the context

As for the effort... well, TL, timing and editing is a bit more than anime of equal length as they tend to talk all the time. We can skip encoding and TS, though, and there are no bleeds
Old 2012-01-26, 18:28   Link #36
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
I'm learning Japanese on a very, very low level, and even I can see that it fails abysmally on anything not very simple.

However, I can't really read kanji yet and I actually find the sound function useful now and then. Just paste the text, click and listen to it, then try to decipher.
you don't need that to do that.
you can just use rikaichan .. it tells you the reading.

if you want to hear pronunciation of the word then install rikaisama
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=5562

i use rikaisama because it looks up sanseido just from hovering it so I find it really helpful using it as a monoligual dictionary that works just from hovering.