Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-26, 15:26   Link #61
daemoness
Slave to cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Uh shes a teacher and hes a high school student isn't that like illegal.
Along with the mafia thing already mentioned, it's not like a high school student/ teacher romance is that rare in anime. First one that popped in my head was Sakura's parents in "Card Captor Sakura".. err and that really gross 4th grader and homeroom teacher thing.
Old 2004-01-26, 16:10   Link #62
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I don't get all this about Yankumi going after the schoolboys. The other teacher is there to make a joke out of that kind of thing, she doesn't do much else. Yankumi doesn't seem very amused by this, even if she is adult enough not to be shocked by it. High school boys don't seem to float her boat.

What about the scene in ep. 1 where Yankumi and Shinohara the lawyer are walking to his car? Shinohara does one of the twinky-smile thing and then Yankumi does the "OMG my head is gonna fall off" thing - here is evidence: (http://server5.uploadit.org/files/ba...ara.sensei.jpg).

This is a standard convention indicating love interest, as most people know. Even in a comedy series it still means the same thing - Yankumi already has someone she likes.
Old 2004-01-26, 20:18   Link #63
gmackenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdis
Did anyone think that 2 of the students looked like Beavis and Butthead!?? I did.
One of my first thoughts...Where did I see those two wierd fellows before. I'm glad they aren't...Let Lord Cornholio Rest In Peace.

I too disliked the dog at first, but he's grown on me as the narrator/chorus for the show. Wierd decision on the anime producer's part, but it doesn't detract from my utter enjoyment of this show.

I like to watch each episode paired with the Marie-sama show as to get a great juxtaposition between shonen and shoujo takes of highschool drama
Old 2004-01-26, 20:36   Link #64
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackenz
...I like to watch each episode paired with the Marie-sama show as to get a great juxtaposition between shonen and shoujo takes of highschool drama
Gokusen is based on a josei (women's) manga, as was mentioned a couple times in the thread. I don't consider the anime to be a shounen title.
Old 2004-01-26, 20:43   Link #65
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

I still dont like the dog sorry!
ep2 was pretty interesting tho, but it looks a lot like GTO in the fact that x student has traumatic past that makes them do bad things, etc.
Old 2004-01-26, 21:01   Link #66
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
What about the scene in ep. 1 where Yankumi and Shinohara the lawyer are walking to his car? Shinohara does one of the twinky-smile thing and then Yankumi does the "OMG my head is gonna fall off" thing - here is evidence: (http://server5.uploadit.org/files/ba...ara.sensei.jpg).

This is a standard convention indicating love interest, as most people know. Even in a comedy series it still means the same thing - Yankumi already has someone she likes.
It's also a standard convention in romantic stories for the main couple to dislike or even hate each other in the beginning.
Old 2004-01-27, 10:38   Link #67
SidSavage

You know what the dog reminds me of? All those Hanna-Barbera cartoons that had a dog sidekick in them like Snaggletooth, Astro, and that really annoying one from the first Superfriends series! He's a perfect carcerature of any of those annoying comic reliefs that's shown all the time on Boomerang.

In fact, I wouldn't put it past the manga artist if she/he wasn't influenced by all those cartoons.

On a side note:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-27, 12:33   Link #68
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidSavage
You know what the dog reminds me of? All those Hanna-Barbera cartoons that had a dog sidekick in them like Snaggletooth, Astro, and that really annoying one from the first Superfriends series! He's a perfect carcerature of any of those annoying comic reliefs that's shown all the time on Boomerang.
Oh my god! It's Muttley!
Old 2004-01-27, 14:52   Link #69
ryublade

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemoness
I like the art, it's more realistic (well, as realistic as anime can be), all the students aren't super good looking like they are in most anime. Of course, this makes Shin even cuter to me. I kind of want Yankumi to end up with him.

The dog.. my only problem with him is the tail! He has a horses tail kind of, it looks like a few hairs. Give him a real dog's tail and I'll be happy.

HaHa. When I introduced this anime to my sister, she kept asking who Yankumi was going to hook up with. She's convinced that Yankumi is going to / should hook up with Shin. Although I keep telling her that it doesn't look like Gokusen's storyline is going with a teacher/student relationship. (At least if you read the manga it doesn't look like it's going that way - i.e. there's someone else she's interested in and it's hilarious what her men suggest they can do to help her advance her relationship with that certain someone. I'm keeping it vague so I don't spoil anything for people. LOL.)
Old 2004-01-27, 14:56   Link #70
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryublade
... I'm keeping it vague so I don't spoil anything for people. LOL.)
They already spilled the beans in the show, though, as I mentioned in a previous post

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-28 at 18:47.
Old 2004-01-27, 20:05   Link #71
Onsen

Really liking this so far. Ep 2 was fun.
Warming up to the dog, too. He's doofy

This is the first anime with this art style I've watched..but it feels really familiar for some reason. Especially Yankumi and that red-haired kid.
And the art in the ending theme is so pretty~
Old 2004-01-27, 20:35   Link #72
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Quote:
Warming up to the dog, too. He's doofy
Absolutely. I'm on with the dog, never really turned against him--liked the 'cuff me' gag most of all.

I've gotten used to the art style; I take back the thing about the upper lips.. but it looked so strange and I'd never seen it before.. I just--nevermind. The OP song is nice. This is one of the better shows to watch right now. Jump on it while the seeds are good.
Old 2004-01-27, 21:19   Link #73
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVO
How can you hate the dog? Hes only in it for a minute, two minutes tops. Yeesh, give the dude some time.
I fully agree with you. The dog is priceless!! I love him!! He's just major lovable and definately hilarious!!

Mob dog. What a concept.
Old 2004-01-27, 23:08   Link #74
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Just watched 2 eps of this. It's indeed a very fun show. Art looks fine from my perspective. Also, I find the ED very amusing.

Grifis
Old 2004-01-28, 15:35   Link #75
Onsen

Odd request, but can anyone get a high-res grab of this minus the credits?
Old 2004-01-30, 20:48   Link #76
Tboz

Actually I thought the art style is pretty normal as we have seen similar stuff in GTO and also manga works from Hamori Takashi which are worse IMO. Am I also hearing right that this is a woman's manga? I actually enjoyed it when I'm not a woman.

I have only seen episode 1 so I can only comment on that for the time being. IMO, this is one of those comedy shows that is truely funny. It is classic comedy with old tricks reused but still funny all the same. About the talking dog, I thought he is quite redundent and his narration seems more disruptive than constructive. Well, maybe I will grow to like him more as the series progresses.
Old 2004-01-30, 22:35   Link #77
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Actually I thought the art style is pretty normal as we have seen similar stuff in GTO and also manga works from Hamori Takashi which are worse IMO. Am I also hearing right that this is a woman's manga? I actually enjoyed it when I'm not a woman.

I have only seen episode 1 so I can only comment on that for the time being. IMO, this is one of those comedy shows that is truely funny. It is classic comedy with old tricks reused but still funny all the same. About the talking dog, I thought he is quite redundent and his narration seems more disruptive than constructive. Well, maybe I will grow to like him more as the series progresses.
There's a lot of stuff out there that's "girls" but appeals to people of the male persuasion... most manga seems to be kind of aimed at one audience or the other, rather than balancing both. I guess this is because there's a disparity between what guys are perceived to want (action, adventure, romantic ecchi-comedy) and what girls want (story, romance without ecchi). Personally, I try to avoid differentiating if possible, because even though I'm a guy, there's a lot of good "girls" stuff out there, and a lot of bad "guys" stuff. Judging based on who the manga sells itself for is a bit dangerous, unless you are THE stereotypical audience member.

And whatever audience gokusen is for, it kicks ass.
Old 2004-01-31, 18:53   Link #78
Tboz

Yep... I wasn't differentiating, I was making a point.

Btw, just saw episode 2, still can't get over seeing Fuji when I least expect him to. Infact, I think he's presence is quite distracting in the show, his constipated voice doesn't help too. Another thing I notice, is he's starting to become a quick solution to resolve difficult situations?

Spoiler:
Anyway, I don't think I will drop the show just because I don't like Fuji. I find the show quite entertaining to watch, its quite funny.
Old 2004-02-01, 12:45   Link #79
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

I've heard of Gokusen Live Action and was said to be better than the GTO Live Action. Man, I want to see this one real bad. I hope JTV picks it up. Anybody seen this one, raw or others?
Old 2004-02-01, 12:59   Link #80
Tboz

Someone mentioned that a group is rumoured to be working on it...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=5466

Anyway, looks interesting...

http://www.akadot.com/column/evoluti...okusen-01.html
http://www.ntv.co.jp/gokusen/
Closed Thread