AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-05, 19:59   Link #61
Seiryuu

Yes, I remember the pic. It was said to be leaked from the production studio after the finish of Twins and before it was actually aired. The pic was several inches longer, as if the kids' pics were cut. In the "cut" pic, you see a toddler boy and girl playing naked(why they know one's a boy and one's not) in a baby pool. In the "uncut" pic, you see another baby girl with long, green hair standing naked about 10 feet to the right of the pool.
My guess would be that, if it wasnt a hoax, then the producers were working with several variations concerning just how far they should take the "who's related?" question, and how much they should suggest potential incestual love. That is, maybe there was another ending where one of them fell in love and the other discovered the picture, and either they were mortified or maybe they decided that it just didn't matter any more. Of course, in the early stages, there probably were a few different ending plotlines that the producers were dealing with and fleshing out. Whatever, the plot that we got was good enough for me.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-05, 23:26   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
My guess would be that, if it wasnt a hoax, then the producers were working with several variations concerning just how far they should take the "who's related?" question, and how much they should suggest potential incestual love. That is, maybe there was another ending where one of them fell in love and the other discovered the picture, and either they were mortified or maybe they decided that it just didn't matter any more. Of course, in the early stages, there probably were a few different ending plotlines that the producers were dealing with and fleshing out.
Yeah, as you say, even if it is real and authentic (and who knows, it could still appear in the OVA), it wouldn't really have changed anything about the question of who is and who isn't related. (The alternate plot you suggest could have been pretty funny and awkward, though...)

Spoiler:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 10:05   Link #63
oasis

Send a message via ICQ to oasis Send a message via MSN to oasis
(cross-posted)
Well I felt good about watching both twins and teacher (in that order, though it would probably have been better the other way around) in that they were interesting. Agreed, twins had much less fan service than teacher, and was the better for it. it didn't need to rely on SF and deus ex machina soap opera plot twists (memory wipes, traumatic youth) to advance the plot, though I felt that teacher would have been better if the reasons for kei to have his standstills were developed earlier in the series so that the overarching theme would be the overcoming of the desire for purgatory. But I guess that wasn't what the story was about: forbidden relationships. an R&J theme.

I felt that twins was about the nature of relationships and the artificial barriers erected by social traditions. Sure, it had weaker conclusions, but the drama was indeed more plausible and more human in its interplay.

Last edited by oasis; 2004-11-07 at 05:04.
oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 12:27   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
(cross-posted)
Well I felt good about watching both twins and teacher (in that order, though it would probably have been better the other way around) in that they were interesting. Agreed, twins had much less fan service than teacher, and was the better for it. it didn't need to rely on SF and deus ex machina soap opera plot twists (memory wipes, traumatic youth) to advance the plot, though I felt that teacher would have been better if the reasons for kei to have his standstills were developed earlier in the series so that the overarching theme would be the overcoming of the desire for purgatory. But I guess that wasn't what the story was about: forbidden relationships. an R&J theme.

I felt that twins was about the nature of relationships and the artificial barriers erected by social traditions. Sure, it had weaker conclusions, but the drama was indeed more plausible and more human in its interplay.
I definitely agree with what you're saying. I watched the two in that order also. I agree that Teacher seemed to rely on the plot twists more to sort of "interfere" with the main relationship. In a way, you could say that this is because the relationship was basically settled early on during the series, so the whole rest of the series was just sort of to answer the question of how exactly they got there. That being said, many of the plot twists were very interesting in and of themselves; it was still a very well done and enjoyable show. (You should just buy the DVDs though!)

Also agree with your analysis of Twins - people harp on it at times for being too repetitive ("are we related, are we not related?") but that is because, unlike Teacher, they didn't use a bunch of twists to throw wrenches in the main issue. It was the one issue that drove the whole show, and the resolution of that issue led to its conclusion. So, while that may have made it less deep in terms of plot, it was a much more plausible human drama. Unlike Teacher with all it's sci-fi, you could really see something like Twins happening in real life. So, that's just one of the reasons why I also found Twins very enjoyable.

Edit: I just noticed that I probably should have posted this in the other thread you posted this message in, as it's more on topic there. I realized that you had cross-posted, but I didn't notice till after where it was cross-posted to. I'm not sure, but I think that cross-posting is pretty frowned upon on these boards... Oh well...
Old 2004-02-28, 15:56   Link #65
Honkie_McGee

I generally agree with relentlessflame's view on Onegai Twins, light-hearted, more down to earth, goofy at times, but there's one thing that's bugged me since I got about a couple of episodes into the series, and that's Maiku's name. There's part of me that thinks that Maiku's name may be Mike instead.

Think about it for a moment if you will. All three of the main characters are only half Japanese, so they had to have gotten they're blue eyes (that everyone's obsessed about) from the parent with a western heritage. Also, Karen's name is obviously western, and when she talks to Maiku, to me it sounds like she's saying "Mike-san", not "Maiku-san".
Spoiler:
I don't know much about the Japanese language, but from the anime that I've watched, I don't hear many Japanese words that end in a hard consonant. Especially a hard "k" sound. I think it is possible that Maiku is the Japanized form of Mike; just like "Maiku" is the Romanized from of whatever kanji you would use for Maiku (I told you I don't know that much about Japanese).

What do you guys think? Does this theory have any basis in logic? Or, am I the only person on this planet who's thinking too much about this and should just sit back and enjoy the series for what it is? I can go either way on this. Help me.
Honkie_McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 16:34   Link #66
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie_McGee
I generally agree with relentlessflame's view on Onegai Twins, light-hearted, more down to earth, goofy at times, but there's one thing that's bugged me since I got about a couple of episodes into the series, and that's Maiku's name. There's part of me that thinks that Maiku's name may be Mike instead.

Think about it for a moment if you will. All three of the main characters are only half Japanese, so they had to have gotten they're blue eyes (that everyone's obsessed about) from the parent with a western heritage. Also, Karen's name is obviously western, and when she talks to Maiku, to me it sounds like she's saying "Mike-san", not "Maiku-san".
Spoiler:
I don't know much about the Japanese language, but from the anime that I've watched, I don't hear many Japanese words that end in a hard consonant. Especially a hard "k" sound. I think it is possible that Maiku is the Japanized form of Mike; just like "Maiku" is the Romanized from of whatever kanji you would use for Maiku (I told you I don't know that much about Japanese).

What do you guys think? Does this theory have any basis in logic? Or, am I the only person on this planet who's thinking too much about this and should just sit back and enjoy the series for what it is? I can go either way on this. Help me.
You do make a good point, easy westernization of names would seem to be a good idea for companies since they are being cofinanced by american companies, perhaps it is a new trend.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 16:41   Link #67
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Mustadio
I enjoyed the series, but I like Onegai Teacher better.

**SPOILERS BELOW....sorry....I have to ask some questions**

At the very end, Maiku explains that Mina was lying down in the picture, does this mean they were childhood friends? Also, if they're not related, why does Mina have the same eyes as Maiku (I'm willing to believe it's pure coincidence)?

I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but they sorta bug me. Thanks for helping me.
I think this indicated that they were actually triplets. I mean the title of the last Episode is titled Three Person Twins, or "Triplets". And them having the same eye color would support that idea. But even i'm not 100% sure. If they didn't make the title and the ending that way, i would have thought Mina was not related, but they did that to confuse me. Anyone who knows for sure care to clarify this?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 17:06   Link #68
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
I think this indicated that they were actually triplets. I mean the title of the last Episode is titled Three Person Twins, or "Triplets". And them having the same eye color would support that idea. But even i'm not 100% sure. If they didn't make the title and the ending that way, i would have thought Mina was not related, but they did that to confuse me. Anyone who knows for sure care to clarify this?
Spoiler for last couple episodes:
Spoiler:

Responding to the earlier post about the Maiku/Mike topic, that actually does sound pretty logical. Japanese words always end either with a vowel or an "n" sound, so Jappifed english words end up with extra vowel sounds tagged on the end, usually. Like "backpack" turns into "bakupaku." And if you've ever seen Trigun, you notice how "Vash the Stampede" ends up sounding something like "Vasha da Stampedo." Heh. Cowboy Bebop is another good example of this. So the idea that Maiku = Mike is a pretty good one, although the thought never crossed my mind while I watched the series.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 19:03   Link #69
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
Spoiler for last couple episodes:
Spoiler:
I agree completely with this; that's exactly how I interpreted the show also. There was a thread a while back where I answered this question, but essentially this sums it up perfectly. (Those of you who can't stand my long-windedness may wonder... why didn't he just say that!?! )
Old 2004-03-26, 01:39   Link #70
LArSON
leecher wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to LArSON
Anyone knows if and when ep.13 OVA it's gonna come out?
LArSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 03:53   Link #71
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LArSON
Anyone knows if and when ep.13 OVA it's gonna come out?
It's going to be on the 7th volume of the Japanese DVD release, which is happening sometime in April, I believe. I forget the exact date, though.
Old 2004-03-26, 07:05   Link #72
Kensuke

According to this thread, release date of the OAV is april 23rd.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 06:27   Link #73
roguenoir
Rogue Member

I hope that Maiko will either marry Mina in the OVA or discover that Mina is also related to them (hence they're triplets.)
roguenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 06:59   Link #74
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I hope at least they can give Matagu-kun and Ichigo-chan happy endings...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 12:31   Link #75
Freddy C
Invincible

Send a message via MSN to Freddy C
onegai twins IMO dont deserve the 'onegai' name, it's a let down for me because onegai sensei was just so much better, had better characters in it and the 'fun' aspect of this series isnt done very well, yea i have to admit, there were a few laugh out loud moment, but it doesnt even compare to those heartwarming and similes you get from onegai sensei.

the way this went was a bit like hack sign and hack dusk, in which hack dusk was much happier and also a sequel, but in this case i thought hack dusk was better.
Freddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 04:02   Link #76
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilus
I know a person who has practically (well, I couldn´t see the difference from 50cm or so range...) the same eye color as I do. Does that make us related to each other?

EDIT: Well, I met him once ;P
The blue eye color is probably very rare in Japan and would pretty much indicate foreign ancestory. Probabilistically, Mina's twin is Maiku (hence, they're triplets) considering all these "coincidences" stacked on top of each other: the three all have blue eyes; they are all looking for their long lost twin after being abandoned as a child; they all have the same childhood photo; they all recognize the same house in their childhood memories.
roguenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 04:25   Link #77
FeiFongWong

Actually I'm one of those people who liked Twins beter then teacher, most likely because I saw Twins first then got Teacher after I saw it. So i wasn't really too attatched to Kei and Mizuho. I like twins more because it had more tear jerker moments for me... since I don't have any sisters... only three brothers... soo soo soo sad...

Can't wait for the OVA hehe. Btw is there any difference in the TV and DVD verisons on animesuki besides quality. Anime Fin puts out a DVD verison, but most the time there are no seeds. And the qual on my Anime-Keep one is fine.

Side note, I got Twins off Overnet! this was just when I was getting hooked on anime and had no idea what BitTorrent was. Sad i know, hehe now, I am an anime fiend! you won't believe my collection of anime. I have about half the series on this site either on my comp or burned to DVD, over 50 titles i have ;-)
FeiFongWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 12:08   Link #78
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiFongWong
Actually I'm one of those people who liked Twins beter then teacher, most likely because I saw Twins first then got Teacher after I saw it. So i wasn't really too attatched to Kei and Mizuho.
I think I agree with you. I actually felt a lot more attached and could relate more to the plight of Maiku, Miina, and Karen, more than the struggles of Kei and Mizuiho. People accuse Twins of having too much "we might be related, we might not be related", but in the same way Teacher had a lot of "we can stay together, we can't stay together". The relationship in Teacher just seemed less "human" to me, despite the fact it's sort of a pun in context. That being said, Teacher is a great show, I just think that I personally liked Twins a bit better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiFongWong
Can't wait for the OVA hehe. Btw is there any difference in the TV and DVD verisons on animesuki besides quality. Anime Fin puts out a DVD verison, but most the time there are no seeds. And the qual on my Anime-Keep one is fine.
The video and audio on the DVD version is higher quality (obviously), but there are a few occasional problems with the subtitles. I've been downloading it anyways (mostly because Onegai Twins is one of my all-time favorites), but it's not as if the quality of the original fansubs were bad. (I originally downloaded the AonE/Inf version, and it's quite good.)

Also,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
Probabilistically, Mina's twin is Maiku (hence, they're triplets) considering all these "coincidences" stacked on top of each other: the three all have blue eyes; they are all looking for their long lost twin after being abandoned as a child; they all have the same childhood photo; they all recognize the same house in their childhood memories.
I suppose it's possible this will get revealed in the OVA, but I would be pretty surprised. Karen seemed pretty convinced of what her mom's diary said. As explained in the show, they all lived together as children (they were neighbours), which explains most of the coincidences. As I said, though, the OVA may change things.
Old 2004-04-13, 00:12   Link #79
Devin

Hmm did Onegai Twins just get licensed? I don't see any links to it's fansubs anymore.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 00:18   Link #80
Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
Hmm did Onegai Twins just get licensed? I don't see any links to it's fansubs anymore.
Yup, it was announced as being licensed just a few days ago at the Anime Boston convention.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance