AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-05-30, 10:38   Link #41
TrueKnight

Man Zenkichi is badass, strong tough mofo and hilarious. Probably the main reason I like the series so far. The poor bastard tried to keep up and most of the time cover his beloved absurdly perfectly smart super-human princess ‘brilliant’ ideas.

- “I don’t like the black uniform, it sucks”. “why not trying wear a jersey inside”, “Ha, like that’ll change any.. holy shit I look like a punk, it’s awesome!”;
- “She’s so smart she finally revert to being stupid”.

Seriously, Zenkichi is anything but ordinary, I mean he beat the hardcore kendo dude with only a punch. I wouldn’t be surprise if they add some of male rivals seeing the kendo dude and the ruffian already fallen for her. I’d say bring them all male rivals be it as perfect they are. I wanna see Zenkichi outclass all of them in style to proof he’s the one worthy enough for Medaka.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 10:47   Link #42
Westlo
Lets be reality

Needless to say I really enjoyed the one shot and first 3 chapters of Medaka Box, the interactions have been great between the characters and I've loved a lot of quirks from them, especially Medaka's pose copying. I thought the writing was at a very good level for what you see in the genre for WSJ and it's equivalents. And it all made sense when I saw that Nishio Ishin (Bakemonogatari which is getting an anime series this summer and Katanagatari) a popular light novel writer is the author of Medaka Box.

Definitely following this and in regards to the OP saying they hope it lasts long unlike Mx0.. well Mx0 couldn've been long enough if they did more with the time they had. I'll be happy if this goes as long as Mx0... it could be worse.. could be like Hatsukoi Limited...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 12:45   Link #43
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... was this made by the same guy who did Mx0? Please tell me it wasn't...

that guy has a record for always cutting off his manga without a resolution

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 12:53   Link #44
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
... was this made by the same guy who did Mx0? Please tell me it wasn't...

that guy has a record for always cutting off his manga without a resolution
No it's not, it's written by Nishio Ishin who is one of the more promising Light Novel authors around. He's been commissioned to write Light Novel versions of XXXholic and Death Note in addition to this original works. He already has two series of his confirmed to be animated, one airing this Summer season which is Bakemonogatari. The other one being Katanagatari is set to air sometime in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisio_Isin
Old 2009-05-30, 13:28   Link #45
Falkor

can't really understand the comparisons to haruhi... :P

the manga is sort of interesting, but I liked the one-shot better.

The characters have not won me over yet, but there's something very amusing in Medaka's and that-guy's relationship. My favorite quote was: "since he was two years old, he's been in love with me." (that was supposed to be a confession, methinks).

I wonder if the manga is going to last long if they keep using the same formula:

1. problem reaches Medaka through the Medaka box.
2. Medaka approaches the problem in the Medaka-way.
3. problem solved by the end of the chapter.

hopefully the mangaka doesn't run out of ideas very soon---or develops something like a mini-arc (this will be more interesting).
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 16:04   Link #46
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
can't really understand the comparisons to haruhi... :P

the manga is sort of interesting, but I liked the one-shot better.

The characters have not won me over yet, but there's something very amusing in Medaka's and that-guy's relationship. My favorite quote was: "since he was two years old, he's been in love with me." (that was supposed to be a confession, methinks).

I wonder if the manga is going to last long if they keep using the same formula:

1. problem reaches Medaka through the Medaka box.
2. Medaka approaches the problem in the Medaka-way.
3. problem solved by the end of the chapter.

hopefully the mangaka doesn't run out of ideas very soon---or develops something like a mini-arc (this will be more interesting).
I wouldn't put it down to direct Haruhi comparisons but more of a general feeling, the over the top bravado and exuberance kinda thing.
well for me Medaka>Haruhi but then I've always been more of a Mikau-chwan fan over there

Now with the using the same formula thingy over and over is something that could bore quite easliy and quickly but then I really liked how Yankee-kun & Megane-chan started out, pretty much same thing as what could happen here.

oh and something about ch 4 is the way Shiranui eats, was not expecting that O_o
Old 2009-05-30, 16:38   Link #47
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I agree with Shiranui that it's nice to see Medaka have a non-perfect side. I felt so bad for her when the dog ran away from her.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 21:53   Link #48
clarakiss~
the toeto nomster~!!

i've read the manga and it so much reminds me of haruhi and yankee-kun to megane-chan being put in a blender and mixed together.

it's pretty decent and the drawings are top notch but i'm not too big on medaka being too strong in fighting and being very smart at the same time.

i was hoping her being very smart and zenkichi being the strong guy, it would've been a nice combo like that but... oh well. u.u
clarakiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 23:10   Link #49
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

The super male is here!!!!

Interesting they're getting that obvious plot arc done and over with quickly.
Old 2009-05-30, 23:43   Link #50
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

... just means we can get back to Zenkichi and Medaka's relationship that much faster

besides, I see there being some sort of hidden side to this super-male; i.e. even though he's as grand as Medaka, any actions that Medaka might approve of are just for show... I guess we find out next week

Old 2009-05-31, 11:10   Link #51
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I decide to read this manga & i love it. Both lead characters are great in their own especially Medaka who does remind of Haruhi but way better.

Spoiler for Potty mouth confession:
Old 2009-05-31, 16:43   Link #52
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

... I'm pretty sure Medaka would win if the two fought, but for a very different reason:

Spoiler for in case you haven't seen haruhi:

Old 2009-05-31, 17:20   Link #53
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
... I'm pretty sure Medaka would win if the two fought, but for a very different reason:

Spoiler for in case you haven't seen haruhi:
Even if Haruhi's power was fully unleashed, she stands no chance against medaka's power of awesomeness.

Same thing would go for Kyon vs, Zenkichi. Zenkichi would own Kyon so bad.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 19:08   Link #54
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Even if Haruhi's power was fully unleashed, she stands no chance against medaka's power of awesomeness.

Same thing would go for Kyon vs, Zenkichi. Zenkichi would own Kyon so bad.
QFT!!

Haruhi may have the godlike power but she doesn't quite have the awesomeness around her like Medaka does

super humans without actual super powers is where its at, Keima from TWGOK is a prime example or Batman
Old 2009-06-01, 02:38   Link #55
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
super humans without actual super powers is where its at, Keima from TWGOK is a prime example or Batman
Medaka Vs Keima!! Would be amazing.... lol @ Medaka copying Keima's pose as Keima states he can see the end.
Old 2009-06-01, 05:50   Link #56
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I knew I had the nonshopped colored version.. I honestly thought that she was Lena Lee back then.. but I cant seems to find it in my humongous folder.. Tagging system failure FTW..

I'm not sharing the other shop version
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 14:41   Link #57
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I started reading this series recently, and I think it can potentially become a really interesting manga. I hope it doesn’t end up like Double Arts and continues for a good while.

Interesting fact: I have visited the WSJ Japanese site today, and it looks like they added an English version of it and is offering the first chapter of the manga for download. Don’t know if it is in English or not though.
Old 2009-06-03, 03:42   Link #58
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Mx0 had 99 chapters. I would hardly call that short. Rather, it simply ended prematurely. Mx0 and Pretty Face are both relatively unpopular, but they are fairly good. Better luck to the author next time.

Anyway, I definitely do see some resemblance between Haruhi and Medaka Box as everyone has pointed out. However, beyond the initial Haruhi and Medaka as well as Kyon and Zenkichi comparison, everything seems to be much different.

Medaka Box appear to be more of a shounen series than Haruhi is. It definitely approached with more emotions (romance, in particular). It also had 'fight' scenes that touched upon the subject of physical prowess.

However, the humor is rather witless and I only occasionally cracked a smile at the silliness of the characters. I found Medaka rather absurd. I hated Superman and his overpowered alien ass. I sincerely hope that the epitome of capitalism, Lex Luthor, may triumph through schem--planning and hardwork.

Of course, I am not saying that Medaka Box is bad, either. It is still way too early to tell and has tons of potential to be a great story, but I fear that the author may not be playing the scenario right. Seems like it is rolling down a cliche'd road. Though, of course, everything is subjective and I'm just being an ass right now.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 10:05   Link #59
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Here's my take on cliche- I actually like it (well most of the time), for the reason that I've had bad experiences with unique stories; i.e. ones that take unprecendented turns... they never turn out well

And with Medaka and Zenkichi being similar to Haruhi and Kyon... well, alf the time that's all the people need to compare two series (in fact, there's an anime called Angel Beats that also seems very similar to haruhi, at least in terms of the Haruhi look-a-like)

Old 2009-06-03, 22:36   Link #60
FateAnomaly

The character designs are appealing. Medeka is awesome but i think she and Haruhi are both good in their own way.

Something i find quite implausible is that with Medeka being so smart and rich, she didn't skip grades or find a better school to be in. Could it be that she deliberately choose the same school as Zenkichi? Anyway how it is that such a rich girl would play in the same playground and bath together with a middle class(?) boy?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council