AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-06-18, 13:43   Link #3841
Solafighter
Hige

Not completly sure, what you are discussing, whether there was romance involved, or not(Sry!).

Kirino loves Kyousuke as a men.
Kyousuke loves Kirino as a women.
They both love eachother in a special way, that can't be taken to lightly. It isn't just love between men and women, nor brother and sister. It is more than that. I have to recall again and again the last few rows of the final volume. In order to stay together, to see eachother, talk to eachother, they have to make a compromise. One day maybe, they will go further... One day, maybe.

To put the whole 12 volumes short: It is a story, that starts like any other. In the end, it will blow your mind.
Old 2013-06-18, 14:34   Link #3842
seangel92

Tomorrow is the released of BD S2 with the "Time Skip".
seangel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 14:48   Link #3843
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Try this exercise - pretend Kuroneko (or Ayase) was the choice at the end and go through the series up to the point where Kyou suddenly makes his views clear and look for validation of why she was the obvious choice.
I said this before the last volume was released, but I do still think the only way to do this after the way volumes 8-11 were written was still to acknowledge his more-than-normal-sibling feelings for Kirino. The evidence from that point on in particular was too overwhelming to handwave, in my view. The difference is only this: he would also have to decide that his feelings for another girl couldn't be forgotten, and so he'd have to kinda/sorta reject Kirino (in a sense) because he loves someone else too. I still say that Ayase is darn near impossible given the timing of her confession over the course of the story (because his feelings were already on a track; her confession was too little too late). Kuroneko is the only other path that I see as a realistic second option, and this was actually put forward in the narrative as a possibility (with her explicitly acknowledging Kirino's true feelings from the very start, well before it had been otherwise proven). (And indeed, even in Kuroneko's scene in Volume 12, Kyousuke acknowledged that he did still have feelings for her, so it wasn't very far off in this regard.)

I do understand your frustration with feeling like you were jerked around, due to the author's desire to keep the ending as secretive as possible, and your frustration with the insistence of certain people that there is no other possible direction for the story (or that it was completely obvious from the start) -- if that were the case, then there would not have been nearly as much suspense about how the story would end. But... at the same time, recognizing the reasons for what the author did (indeed, to build that suspense), I don't consider it as much of a "fault" but more of a "consequence". And given the "constraint" (even if we consider it self-imposed), I honestly do think that the dots are connected about as well as they can be.

I think the author was basically playing the audiences biases against them, since no matter how much he built up Kirino and Kyousuke's feelings for each other, there was always a "way out". And the natural inclination was to assume that they would take a way out given that it was an option. Although Kyousuke was slowly changing over the course of the narrative, it wasn't until the end that we see the impact of that change in terms of what he was willing to do. The Kyousuke at the start of the narrative would never have done what the Kyousuke at the end of the narrative did, but that's because the Kyousuke at the start of the narrative wasn't actually his full, true self (though this too was subtly foreshadowed). It's certainly a tricky way of writing things.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-06-18 at 15:06.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 16:07   Link #3844
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricadan View Post
But see, why have all that extra romance stuff in the first place?
If the plot focuses on repairing and developing the relationship with the sister, then switching/adding focus to the romance aspects would be unnecessary unless it was actually headed in the direction of the sister.
Ah heh. I guess I'm just okay with more complicated plot lines. If part of the repair involves the resurrection of Kyou's social life that would fit right in.

Mayid and I talked and made up offline - we're not so far apart as it might appear, at least in recognizing some of the fragmentary elements of the story development.

Ah well. I don't *hate* the story. I like the character designs (personalities, etc), I wasn't hating the barrel of red herring elements. It's rare I don't have critical thoughts about stories - even ones I love dearly (listen to me rant about Tolkien or Arthur C. Clarke sometime).

Quote:
(And indeed, even in Kuroneko's scene in Volume 12, Kyousuke acknowledged that he did still have feelings for her, so it wasn't very far off in this regard.)
That actually repaired the situation a little for me, at least in the matter of Kuroneko, because I wasn't really finding a Kyou that brutally dumped all his friends and said out loud he was going to commit a "crime" to them very believable. The case for such a radical turn in him hadn't really been well made.

It also may be that I'm fundamentally getting tired of 'horserace' young shounen stories and find more satisfaction in seinen/shoujo stories (even triangle+plus ones). That's a very drippy brush to use though since some of my favorites have been shounen published.
Old 2013-06-18, 16:31   Link #3845
Kakurin
大佐

Vexx, your ideas and opinions are very interesting to read. I guess the reason some people may view your criticism in a negative light could be because it sounds partly too negative. Most people here are not authors like you and confronted with your points, they may find it too complicating, or as nitpicking on a high level. As for your thoughts on this 'horserace' stuff, I can understand that sentiment, especially if one has seen a lot of them (as you seem to have). I personally think it can be funny if done correctly. What annoys me would be the series which run too long and drag this 'horserace' into a marathon. In my opinion this 'horserace' stuff in Oreimo was in a acceptable range, as in my view it always came down to the question of Kuroneko or Kirino as love interests. I never gave Ayase or Manami (and Kanako doesn't even need to get mentioned) a real shot, as I thought their actual interaction with Kyousuke was not enough and the clues not strong enough.
Old 2013-06-18, 17:09   Link #3846
levelminded

everyone is trying to interpret the meaning of the series while i'm just here imagining the new members of the otaka club. i would imagine two members that are twins. one of them is a girl who's into a lot of shounem and enjoys mecha anime to the point she has a fetish for robot sex. the other twin is actually a guy who heard about this club from his sister and wanted to join. but due to him being a guy he ends up cross dressing and tries convince himself that this would increase his espers powers due to the cosmic world teling him it would allow him to predict peoples mind. he takes this so seriously that he says outrages claims about people that are not true through his observation. one observation he makes is that kirino and kyosuke are dating.
levelminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 17:14   Link #3847
Wilshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelminded View Post
everyone is trying to interpret the meaning of the series while i'm just here imagining the new members of the otaka club. i would imagine two members that are twins. one of them is a girl who's into a lot of shounem and enjoys mecha anime to the point she has a fetish for robot sex. the other twin is actually a guy who heard about this club from his sister and wanted to join. but due to him being a guy he ends up cross dressing and tries convince himself that this would increase his espers powers due to the cosmic world teling him it would allow him to predict peoples mind. he takes this so seriously that he says outrages claims about people that are not true through his observation. one observation he makes is that kirino and kyosuke are dating.
Thats one hell of an imagination tho. Twins,robot sex fetish,cross dresser,LOL mate you made my night.
Old 2013-06-18, 17:58   Link #3848
KronosPlasma

I'd like to know what was Kyousuke planes for his future?
We get a lot of info on the other characters. From them saying what they would like
or Kyousuke saying how skilled they are like Manami is with cooking.
With Kyousuke nothing was it in the being and I missed it or is it never brought up.
Other then going to school did he have a dream other then hooking up with a underclassman and his sister
KronosPlasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 18:39   Link #3849
levelminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshere View Post
Thats one hell of an imagination tho. Twins,robot sex fetish,cross dresser,LOL mate you made my night.
lol yea. i just did not want it to end without going into details what their new life will lead to. also the fact that the bonus novel is 10 years later and would most likely be short.
levelminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 20:43   Link #3850
jandkas

So the ten years later novel from what I heard is either about kirino 25 years old listening to her previous self, or it is about kuronekos sister becoming like her, which one was it confirmed to be.
jandkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 21:38   Link #3851
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkas View Post
So the ten years later novel from what I heard is either about kirino 25 years old listening to her previous self, or it is about kuronekos sister becoming like her, which one was it confirmed to be.
Apparently it's about chuunibyou Tamaki visits Kirino to watch a Meruru Remake 10 years after the end of the story (remember that Tamaki is a Meruru fan in present-day). Future Tamaki apparently looks just like Kuroneko does present-day. Kirino is apparently so beautiful for her age that chuuni-Tamaki considers her a modern-day witch. () Hinata also goes to see Kirino to ask for "life counselling" about her little sister. None of the other characters appear.

(But, if Kirino is hanging out with Ruri's sisters, then it certainly suggests that the two families are still friends.)
Old 2013-06-18, 23:10   Link #3852
s0beit
kiririn.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Apparently it's about chuunibyou Tamaki visits Kirino to watch a Meruru Remake 10 years after the end of the story (remember that Tamaki is a Meruru fan in present-day). Future Tamaki apparently looks just like Kuroneko does present-day. Kirino is apparently so beautiful for her age that chuuni-Tamaki considers her a modern-day witch. () Hinata also goes to see Kirino to ask for "life counselling" about her little sister. None of the other characters appear.

(But, if Kirino is hanging out with Ruri's sisters, then it certainly suggests that the two families are still friends.)
That honestly sounds very fun. I wonder if there will be any 25 y/o Kirino pictures, Tamaki too. Must see.
s0beit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 23:38   Link #3853
zubalikei

Very sad...

I'm very sad if the "10 years" is just it.
I really wish the author would give us at least a single hint about the future life of Kyosuke too... or possibly just one clue of how he interacts with Kirino ten years later...
The overal future scenario seems blurred... after the end remains a sense that something is missing, or incomplete...
zubalikei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 23:43   Link #3854
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0beit View Post
That honestly sounds very fun. I wonder if there will be any 25 y/o Kirino pictures, Tamaki too. Must see.
There's a picture of aged Tamaki on Kuroneko/Yamineko route from the second PSP game, even though she already get over her chuuni and wear normal cloth again. But by 'normal cloth' I mean old-fashion kimono (which on Kirino route-verse, Kirino's son had crush on Tamaki )

The other characters beside her, Kanako, and Bridgette didn't look any different there though.
Old 2013-06-18, 23:45   Link #3855
s0beit
kiririn.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubalikei View Post
I'm very sad if the "10 years" is just it.
I really wish the author would give us at least a single hint about the future life of Kyosuke too... or possibly just one clue of how he interacts with Kirino ten years later...
The overal future scenario seems blurred... after the end remains a sense that something is missing, or incomplete...
Your only hope is the author's blog or additional interviews something.
Something like that will never be in Dengeki Bunko, and I doubt it will be bundled with any BDs since Aniplex probably doesn't want to go there either.

It's best you do not get your hopes up for something like that ever coming, officially.
If there ever was something like that, it would end up being like:
Kirino and Kyousuke are living together.

And that's it, no romance stuff, no confirmation of anything, just more ambiguous stuff.
There would still be no conclusion, but I guess they could hammer it home hard enough to the point it gets hard to deny. Who knows what they will do though, maybe nothing.
s0beit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 00:18   Link #3856
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0beit View Post
Your only hope is the author's blog or additional interviews something.
Something like that will never be in Dengeki Bunko, and I doubt it will be bundled with any BDs since Aniplex probably doesn't want to go there either.

It's best you do not get your hopes up for something like that ever coming, officially.
If there ever was something like that, it would end up being like:
Kirino and Kyousuke are living together.

And that's it, no romance stuff, no confirmation of anything, just more ambiguous stuff.
There would still be no conclusion, but I guess they could hammer it home hard enough to the point it gets hard to deny. Who knows what they will do though, maybe nothing.
Knowing Kirino and Kyousuke living together is enough for a closure... It's not I want to see their baby....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 01:41   Link #3857
Wilshere

Any news on the '10 year story' ?
Old 2013-06-19, 03:34   Link #3858
jandkas

And then it's like bam at the end kyosuke is like tadaima(I'm home) during the lifie consultation

Last edited by jandkas; 2013-06-19 at 03:35. Reason: Typo
jandkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 04:35   Link #3859
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkas View Post
And then it's like bam at the end kyosuke is like tadaima(I'm home) during the lifie consultation
A 'tadaima' Kyousuke, and a "welcome home" kiss from Kirino....?

I'm not asking too much. Right? Right?
...will squeeze in joy if that happens.....
Old 2013-06-19, 04:46   Link #3860
Wilshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
A 'tadaima' Kyousuke, and a "welcome home" kiss from Kirino....?

I'm not asking too much. Right? Right?
...will squeeze in joy if that happens.....
This, will make this series complete.

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings