AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 29 40.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 40.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 14.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-01, 11:24   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to utilize the info on the TIPS section as a complement to this series.
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
Old 2006-08-01, 15:25   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Fortunately, I am in Kansai right now, so I was able to watch this show earlier than usual.

Overall, I see they are taking their time on this chapter to get Meakashi-hen right. Still skipped over some parts from the game, but managed to get the atmosphere correctly.

Shion's awakening was done well, as well as her thoughts towards Satoshi. I still would've wished that the staff used at least one excerpt of dai's "Thanks" and "you," but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe at the end.

Next up, the re-awakening.
Old 2006-08-01, 15:41   Link #3
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
*Reserved for later.
Besides, I love Shion anyway. I'm sure I'm going to type something big.
;_; forgive me!
Old 2006-08-01, 16:06   Link #4
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

After watching Shion's performance in the previous two episodes...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-01, 20:34   Link #5
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
... My favorite episode yet.

Old 2006-08-01, 21:14   Link #6
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Holy crap, Mion was scary in the end there. ^^;

The only "complaint" worth mentioning in this episode is:
Spoiler:

It's been quite a while since I played Meakashi-hen, so I can't remember the details that well (thankfully ) anymore, but it looks like they got most of the important segments right.

Spoiler:

The absence of the game's music still makes me a little (´・ω・`). "祝祭", "狂気への回廊", "狂気", etc. were all such distinct tracks. A pity.

Next episode, everything hits the fan.
Old 2006-08-02, 09:36   Link #7
Gains
Rain lover

Meakashi-hen might be my favourite chapter.

I watched it with little to no knowledge of Japanese but I can decipher several things.

Spoiler for this episode:

I can find out several things from this episode
Spoiler for things I found:

My predictions for the next episodes
Spoiler:

Actually, why is Akane still in the Sonozaki house if she's already disowned? (considering that Mion is the executioner of the Sonozaki) and what caused it (the disowning)?
Old 2006-08-02, 21:40   Link #8
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Talk about a cliffhanger... I loved the atmosphere, didn't understand a lot from what was said but still enjoyed every second. Too bad I will probably curse myself for not waiting for the sub but the temptation was too great.

Spoiler:

Old 2006-08-05, 02:29   Link #9
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

As seems usual, the fansubbers are being a bit slow with this one. KJ and crew may want to leave the thread up a bit beyond the airing of Ep.19.

(Has anyone else noticed how erratic the fansubbing for Higurashi can be? Wind can barely keep up due to, as I understand it, constant staffing problems and the other two interested groups haven't kept pace at all. It would seem the Curse of Oyashiro-sama extends even to fansubs, quasi-piratical otaku that we are. )
Old 2006-08-05, 03:04   Link #10
Freakman

As a member of Wind, I would like to disagree. We now sub most episodes in under a week.
[Edit for unnecessary harshness]

Last edited by Freakman; 2006-08-05 at 05:56.
Old 2006-08-05, 03:08   Link #11
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Er, *cough*.

Sorry, that wasn't a direct insult to Wind, more a (friendly! FRIENDLY!) comment on the "uneven" release schedule. Soemtimes you guys release on Fridays, sometimes Saturdays, sometimes after the next episode's been released...

Bah, I seem to have committed a faux pas again. Makes my new avatar kind of appropriate, though.
Old 2006-08-05, 05:22   Link #12
Sir Alex

Well, you're right about the curse of Oyashiro-sama eating all our translators. Despite that I think we've done pretty well keeping up. Releases should be on Sundays or Mondays, depending.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:27   Link #13
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Er, *cough*.

Sorry, that wasn't a direct insult to Wind, more a (friendly! FRIENDLY!) comment on the "uneven" release schedule. Soemtimes you guys release on Fridays, sometimes Saturdays, sometimes after the next episode's been released...

Bah, I seem to have committed a faux pas again. Makes my new avatar kind of appropriate, though.
As the TL of WindFS for Higurashi from EP 14+ I have to apologize for the erratic scheduling. I usually don't watch and TL the episode until the weekends due to my schedule. So Sir Alex, Freakman and crew don't get to do anything until I watch the EP.

Also, if anyone has any critique of the translation feel free to direct it at me. I will welcome it as I don't mind improving overall the quality.

As for this EP, I finally watched it and HOLY CRAP that Saiguden scene is much more scarier than I imagined. Even tho, the anime skipped some minor parts here and there throughout Meakashi, overall, I'm very satisfied with how they did it thus far... I hope I didn't jinx it for the best two parts in the up coming episodes... I'm seriously going to cry if the cut out the monologue for the last EP for this chapter.

Also another note, Shion is right. The Smiling -> Crying moe~ model is too evil. 100 points.
Old 2006-08-05, 15:42   Link #14
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

<3, LostBlue, get it done when you can. Quality > speed.

Though do listen for the sound of the footsteps... pita pita, pata pata...
Old 2006-08-05, 23:01   Link #15
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Great episode. A lot of this arc makes sense now but there is still a ton that needs explaining:
1. Why is Rika going to stab her brains out in front of Mion/Shion
2. Why does it appear that the people who get murdered are sighted again. As Oishi puts it, the dead are walking around too much in this case.
3. Where is Satoshi? If Mion really thinks murder is a terrible thing and had nothing to do with his disappearance, where did he go?

I'm still not sure I believe Shion is the culprit in this case.
Old 2006-08-05, 23:33   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
its out already? O.o or is it just the raw? anyway its gona be a bomb seeing how shion is gona get her revernge...i cnt w8

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-07, 19:13   Link #17
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen aren't exact same retellings, are they? I ask that cause some of the events play a little differently. I don't think Keiichi ever 'saved' Shion from gangs in Watanagashi, nor did the two approach Tomitake and Takano directly when they snuck into the shrine.

One thing's for sure: it was Shion that led Keiichi into the shrine, if that event is no different from the one in Watanagashi. This mean's that anywhere from a little to a lot of my "super-theory" way back in episode 8 is plain wrong.
Old 2006-08-07, 20:04   Link #18
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I am pretty sure that the answer arc and the question arc show the same sequence of events. I think it's great the anime wastes no time showing again many scenes from Watanagashi, this time from Shion's PoV, but just mentions the things the viewers already know.

Spoiler for Observations after watching the sub:

Old 2006-08-07, 21:02   Link #19
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
This episode was great the next is going to b even better
all i can say is things are going to get out of hand
Old 2006-08-07, 22:26   Link #20
Keriaku
Thought Being

Maybe I missed something, but why does the whole town know about Shion now? Just because she showed her distinction, she's allowed to exist?
Closed Thread