AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 11:26   Link #221
Mentar
Banned

Justification for the Eclipse decision to go with Randel Oland: The manga.

It's the old problem when normal Roman-language names need to be transferred to Japanese. No matter what you do, there's a good reason against it.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 11:35   Link #222
Lost

So what is it supposed to be fansub aside? I cant read the Japanese site. I was thinking they used Orlando as a pronounciation of Oland; because the Japanese seem to pronounce everything romanized with an -o behind.

e.g. Arcueido!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 11:41   Link #223
NeoSam

According to some source; Volume 6 of Pumpkin Scissors manga, which was supposed to get out on 17/10/2006, got postponed to December >.<
Old 2006-10-16, 11:53   Link #224
mtarzaim

All right.

Here is the final version of my little tribute to this new serie :

Youtube

animemusicvideos.org

Based on the two first episode, I give my personnal vision of Alice (Aris ? ) and Oland's (Orlando ?!? ) relation.

On "Starlight" from Muse.

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 16:43   Link #225
Omniscient

Episode 03 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Concerning the names, Mentar and I had a long discussion about them last week because I had originally gone with Orlando too, based purely on the katakana spelling. In the end, I decided to use all the romanized names on the website except for Oland (because it was written in the manga that way) and Alice (because Aris, as its written on the website, just looks wrong).
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 18:39   Link #226
dxgarten

Episode 03 screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 19:34   Link #227
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Lol! Are you guys from Memento and Random Curiosity? Anyway, thanx! Hmm, I'm ignoring the animation Looks like this gonna be an Alice episode hm?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:33   Link #228
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
i had theory about the effects of the blue light latern that i wanted to share im not sure if someone touched on this already or not but i didnt see it mentioned.

Is it possible that the blue light is a single for self hypnosis? The ATT were conditoned or brainwashed that whenever they see the blue light from lantern it would turn off the parts of the brain that regulate fear and reason leaving them with only one goal the destroy the target. Also at the same time stimuating the adrenial gland therefore not feeling pain. This would explain the almost blank look in their eyes when they beserk mode.

Their have been studies on controlling mind sets and chemicles in the brain using a key word or phrase that would activate the desired conditioning. Some of the key examples are hypnosis for smokers. Where a person is hypnotized to do or crave something else when they see or smell a tabacco.
Old 2006-10-16, 23:21   Link #229
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
i had theory about the effects of the blue light latern that i wanted to share im not sure if someone touched on this already or not but i didnt see it mentioned.

Is it possible that the blue light is a single for self hypnosis? The ATT were conditoned or brainwashed that whenever they see the blue light from lantern it would turn off the parts of the brain that regulate fear and reason leaving them with only one goal the destroy the target. Also at the same time stimuating the adrenial gland therefore not feeling pain. This would explain the almost blank look in their eyes when they beserk mode.

Their have been studies on controlling mind sets and chemicles in the brain using a key word or phrase that would activate the desired conditioning. Some of the key examples are hypnosis for smokers. Where a person is hypnotized to do or crave something else when they see or smell a tabacco.
That's the best theory I've heard so far.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-17, 02:41   Link #230
mtarzaim

Quote:

It's the most realistic explanation for Oland's psycho-face, but it didn't explain how does he manage to take direct (and close ! ) hits, as shown in episode 2.

Another strange fact about his powers appears in episode 1 ...
He used his mantle to protect himself from the tank's hit, and then seemed afraid when the bad guy shot at him multiple times with an ordinary handgun ...

My own explanation so far :
His lantern contains some sort of radioactive matter, which reacts with some chemicals in his body, generating a force field protecting him from hard hits.
But it cannot withstand light hits, like gun bullets, or fire (that's why he used his mantle to protect himself from impact's heat).
It would be make him a real anti-tank trooper, and also a weak infantry fighter. Maybe the explanation for the destruction of his platoon ?

His psycho-face would be due to side effects of the chemicals, and the psychological consequences of numberous fights (or slaughters ) from the battlefield.

Old 2006-10-17, 03:00   Link #231
Skane
Anime Snark

He wasn't afraid of the handgun per se, but the fact that the villian held the antidote hostage. Note that after Alice grabbed the antidote from Wolf, Oland immediately blew the guy to kingdom come.
Old 2006-10-17, 03:30   Link #232
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
He wasn't afraid of the handgun per se, but the fact that the villian held the antidote hostage. Note that after Alice grabbed the antidote from Wolf, Oland immediately blew the guy to kingdom come.
But why hiding himself behind his arms, if he can withstand normal bullets ?..
It really seemed to me he tried to prevent some vital damages by protecting his chest with his forearms ...

But maybe he wasn't in "Tank buster" mode anymore, so his natural instincts (as fear of Pain) came back.

Old 2006-10-17, 03:38   Link #233
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarzaim View Post
But why hiding himself behind his arms, if he can withstand normal bullets ?..
It really seemed to me he tried to prevent some vital damages by protecting his chest with his forearms ...

But maybe he wasn't in "Tank buster" mode anymore, so his natural instincts (as fear of Pain) came back.
Have you seen Ep02 yet? Oland can be injured by normal ammunition. Additionally, there is a difference between lack of fear, and suppressed fear. The former is psychotic, the latter is discipline.

A soldier who knows no fear has gone mad. There is always an element of fear. It is just a matter of discipline on whether you control the fear, or the fear controls you.

Oland does not seem to be a mad person. Notice how he used his jacket to shield himself from the acid round. He is STILL thinking while fighting the tank. I do not know what the lantern bestows upon him specifically, but it does not grant him damage immunity, as evidenced by his numerous scars( not to mention the injuries he got in Ep02).

Oland is very disciplined and determined when his lantern is turned on. He does not turn into an unthinking hulk.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:10   Link #234
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Have you seen Ep02 yet? Oland can be injured by normal ammunition. Additionally, there is a difference between lack of fear, and suppressed fear. The former is psychotic, the latter is discipline.

A soldier who knows no fear has gone mad. There is always an element of fear. It is just a matter of discipline on whether you control the fear, or the fear controls you.

Oland does not seem to be a mad person. Notice how he used his jacket to shield himself from the acid round. He is STILL thinking while fighting the tank. I do not know what the lantern bestows upon him specifically, but it does not grant him damage immunity, as evidenced by his numerous scars( not to mention the injuries he got in Ep02).

Oland is very disciplined and determined when his lantern is turned on. He does not turn into an unthinking hulk.

Cheers.
The lantern giving him so type of forcefield doesnt seem likely due to the number of scares Oland has on his body. In episode 2 he did hide his chest and arms i dont think he was affraid and just because your strong soldier doesnt mean you should take unnesscary damange. A wound to the eye or anotehr vital organ could hinder his fighting capability. I think the ATTs had special equipement made specfically for them. The cape could be made of some high density material that provides tempory protection from shrapnel like cavlar vest. I do agree with the lantern changing chemicals in the brain. All the moods that we experience are controlled by the release of cheimcals in the brain which would support my conditioning theory.

Quote:
It's the most realistic explanation for Oland's psycho-face, but it didn't explain how does he manage to take direct (and close ! ) hits, as shown in episode 2.
I mentioned this before we never really see Oland take a direct hit from the tank if we did he would be nothing but sticky bits decorating the landscape. I truly think the reason that the ATTs were created was the fact that tanks are not ment to engadge small targets like a human. Excluding the shrapnel and the blast radius a single soldier could get close enough to take out a tank. Also remember tanks are for long to mid range combat the closer a small target gets the harder it is to hit as showen in episode 2 when Oland kept coming that whimpy noble ass hole aim got worse, and as he paniced more his aim got worse and worse i think the psyhcolgical and the durabitly of the ATTs is go hand and hand. Psycholgical warfare can be an excellent weapon
Old 2006-10-17, 23:10   Link #235
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
The lantern giving him so type of forcefield doesnt seem likely due to the number of scares Oland has on his body. In episode 2 he did hide his chest and arms i dont think he was affraid and just because your strong soldier doesnt mean you should take unnesscary damange. A wound to the eye or anotehr vital organ could hinder his fighting capability. I think the ATTs had special equipement made specfically for them. The cape could be made of some high density material that provides tempory protection from shrapnel like cavlar vest. I do agree with the lantern changing chemicals in the brain. All the moods that we experience are controlled by the release of cheimcals in the brain which would support my conditioning theory.

I mentioned this before we never really see Oland take a direct hit from the tank if we did he would be nothing but sticky bits decorating the landscape. I truly think the reason that the ATTs were created was the fact that tanks are not ment to engadge small targets like a human. Excluding the shrapnel and the blast radius a single soldier could get close enough to take out a tank. Also remember tanks are for long to mid range combat the closer a small target gets the harder it is to hit as showen in episode 2 when Oland kept coming that whimpy noble ass hole aim got worse, and as he paniced more his aim got worse and worse i think the psyhcolgical and the durabitly of the ATTs is go hand and hand. Psycholgical warfare can be an excellent weapon
WEll that, and seeing that lantern shine, and the soldier's march foward. HAs a Psycological effect on the tank ops. Imagine seeing men march forward slowly, and each one falling to their deaths yet thye keep marching forward with a resolve to kill you. They're no war cries just a striaght, and forward march.

I liked the armor piercing bullets that they use.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 07:35   Link #236
Lost

^
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Also remember tanks are for long to mid range combat the closer a small target gets the harder it is to hit as showen in episode 2 when Oland kept coming that whimpy noble ass hole aim got worse, and as he paniced more his aim got worse and worse i think the psyhcolgical and the durabitly of the ATTs is go hand and hand. Psycholgical warfare can be an excellent weapon
Yep, its a definite scare factor, I mean, it even scares the hell out of the tank units on their side, what more of the enemies tank units? They are a legend on the battlefield, and that light identifies them as such. I like that description; a silent forward march.

Quote:
AHEM. Wouldn't he have to SEE the blue light to get hypnotised? And where is the lantern?

I like to think that the catalyst as it were is not the blue light but in effect the substance that emits the blue light, god knows what it is. And the blue light is not useless, it scares the hell out of the tank troopers --> reload times go up, aiming accuracy goes down, etc etc.

Oh, could someone explain what the (1024x576) Episode 1 release is about? Thanks!

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-18 at 07:45.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 08:23   Link #237
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:

Cheers.
Or we could assume that lantern is a type of hypnotic stuff that removes any emotions of fear or hesitation or maybe removes the sensation of pain. If you look at it, Oland didn't groan out of pain. Basically, it's like kill the person and destroy that tank by any means.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-18, 17:53   Link #238
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Or we could assume that lantern is a type of hypnotic stuff that removes any emotions of fear or hesitation or maybe removes the sensation of pain. If you look at it, Oland didn't groan out of pain. Basically, it's like kill the person and destroy that tank by any means.
Exactly CYZ thats what i pointed out removing chemicles or blocking them in the brain can create a desired effect. Theres a part of our brain that tells us were affraid. There a part of our brain that tells us that were in pain removing all of that would make for one hell of a killing machine and hypnosis would be a good way to do it

Quote:
AHEM. Wouldn't he have to SEE the blue light to get hypnotised? And where is the lantern?
Just because the latern is not in front of him doesnt mean he can not see the blue light imminating from it. Oland carries the latern on his side like its hooked to a belt or something. That light is very bright you would have to blind not see it especially if your right next to it
Old 2006-10-18, 17:59   Link #239
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
my theory would be that orland has had some chemicals pumped into him and the light from the lantern activates/stimulates these chemicals in such a way it affects his brain and he going into "hypnotic" anti tank killing mode...

edit: quietly w8ting for ep 3 to finnish DL

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 19:30   Link #240
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
my theory would be that orland has had some chemicals pumped into him and the light from the lantern activates/stimulates these chemicals in such a way it affects his brain and he going into "hypnotic" anti tank killing mode...

edit: quietly w8ting for ep 3 to finnish DL
Note at the opening scene, Oland has wires around him. So, that means he was in an experiment of something

Edit: Just seen episode 3. It was a nice story for Alice. We get to see that her determination wasn't just for show and she proves it like she mean it. Lol! and you got to love her stubborness
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~

Last edited by Cyz; 2006-10-18 at 20:51.