kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
Tomb Raider didnt meet the sales expectation:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-ra...target-6405929

so 3.4 million sales weren't enough for them? holy moly, what was Square Enix
expected sales to be? 6 millions copy sold? >_____>;

i feel like they should be grateful that they even pass the 1 millon mark. greedy companies these days.
Damn it, they should be proud "other" AAA games sell only "thousands and not millions". You get the picture

A few reason why it didn't sell to that extent of "MILLIONS"(just saying this when they sold over 3million copies jeez =_=) is it's multiplatform, others will wait for the PC which is a bit cheaper and a bad multi-player, buggy and it's just a death match.

I really hate when company greed gets in the way makes them look bad.
Old 2013-03-26, 17:47   Link #142
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Jeez indeed, what is with gaming companies being really greedy with their sales expectations? I personally blame Call of Duty.

Tsk tsk either way HOPEFULLY they have enough sense to look past their expectations and realize the game was a success all the same. And I'm fairly sure the game sold more than DMC and if that's true then THEY DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN.
The people running companies like Square Enix or EA are not gamers nor do they have a real understanding of the customer base. They're generally people with business degrees/MBAs,etc who are still flying the now-known-to-fail management school belief that you don't need to know anything about the widgets you sell. They think meta-widget-sales theory works on everything. So they compute their little models and call something a failure even if it makes a profit because it didn't meet their asspull projections.

This afflicts nearly all modern industry, not just games.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:41   Link #143
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

There's something deeply wrong with a company that blames a game that sells 3.4 million copies (which doesn't count digital sales, so likely the majority of PC sales; let's go conservative and throw in another million) in three weeks for its woes.

Meanwhile...FF 14. Versus. Etc. No, those don't have anything to do with revenue loss.

I realize these reports are filled with semantics, so we're supposed to swallow the idea that they projected significantly higher than 3.4 million sales in three weeks (I don't even know how to say those numbers in that time frame in a straight face; especially considering how long it took...oh...FF 13 to reach 3.4 million sales-though, to give it credit, FF 13's total sales numbers to date are not a number I would expect to see from TR over the long haul), so there's no lie being said when they claim it under-performed (keeping in mind that "under-performed" is a word used relative to some set expectations, and I'm going to be polite and say 3.4 million + however many they sold via digital distribution sales in three weeks should look bloody fantastic, which means they're going to pretend they were expecting....what for three week sales figures...), but the cynic in me can't help but wonder if things are being gamed to cover up the huge costs in game development going on on the other side of the pond.

If TR doesn't get a sequel, despite those strong sales numbers, because SE wants to do some accounting magic to make pretend games like FF 14 aren't hurting their bottom line, I'm going to be...mad.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-27 at 22:17.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 22:39   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Steam has a weekend sale up for Tomb Raider, $25.

So off we go.
Old 2013-05-03, 07:06   Link #145
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Wow that was quick.
Old 2013-05-04, 01:15   Link #146
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Steam has a weekend sale up for Tomb Raider, $25.

So off we go.
I just picked it up and I am downloading as I type this post! I can't wait to see what this game is all about and try it on my eyefinity system with 3 23' IPS panels, a hd 7950 3gb and a Omega claro II sound card on some nice 5.1 speakers.

Lets see what tressfx is all about...

Edit: Awesome game... I just played for 20 minutes and I am amazed at the high production values. Playing this game in eyefinity is the way to go. I can't believe that it was still considered a failure despite of selling over 3 million copies though.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2013-05-04 at 02:16.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:54   Link #147
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In my opinion (based on average hours of play from various review sites), it was simply priced about $10 too high for the amount of gameplay and replay value. I really could care less about any "multiplay" value on this franchise and apparently I wasn't alone with that idea.

It is certainly beautiful to watch and play solo though. I would have bought it on the first round for $10 less but half original price is really a steal. That surprised me. Usually the price on games comes down in incremental sales.
Old 2013-05-06, 13:22   Link #148
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Did I hurt your feelings, creb? Or do you not understand replay value (playing as different kinds of characters), side stories, nonlinear worlds, and mods? I simply was explaining how I value games. Apparently that generates butthurt and the need to insult for some. I also enjoyed DA:O ... not the sequel so much.

I've said repeatedly that TR looks like it will be entertaining, but simply not at the current price point.
Have you played the Witcher 2 yet? That game has a huge replay value; I have well over a 100 hours invested in it. The game is top notch and it only costs $20 on steam.
Old 2013-07-21, 09:27   Link #149
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
This may be the first tomb raider game I do not purchase and I am so big a fan I played Angel of Darkness twice
Well I can admit I am wrong, I bought Tomb Raider on sale about a month ago and didn't really play it too much except the start, as I was playing other games at the time.

A few weeks ago I started playing it seriously and my god it is fun. Unlike the sameness of the previous Crystal Dynamics games where I felt Lara was continuously walking down the same corridor, the graphics are superb making you feel you are really on an island of Japan.

the game is just wonderful (at maybe the half way point anyway)
Old 2013-07-21, 11:38   Link #150
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
Tomb Raider didnt meet the sales expectation:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-ra...target-6405929

so 3.4 million sales weren't enough for them? holy moly, what was Square Enix
expected sales to be? 6 millions copy sold? >_____>;

i feel like they should be grateful that they even pass the 1 millon mark. greedy companies these days.
This to me summarizes what is wrong with game companies today. What, to me, is what makes what Cliffy B said about game budgets to be so idiotic. They have a predetermined expectation of how many copies they'll sell and they aim their budgets to match that expectation. It is the difference between wanting to sell a lot and assuming you will sell a lot. It is the difference between humble ambition and arrogance. Of course these companies will never see that, they'll just redirect the blame to whatever.
Old 2013-07-21, 11:52   Link #151
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

A lot of it is perspective, though.

Call of Duty & Battlefield can expect high sales, given historical trends and the continuous brand/franchise building done over the years.

Watch_Dog is apparently expecting 6 million sales, which honestly? I think it's rather reasonable. This comes off Ubisoft that has established its reputation for open-world games, and comes off the Assassin's Creed franchise, that is popular. And it's selling across 6 platforms, PS3/4, X360/ONE, WiiU, PC.

Tomb Raider, though? It's a franchise that has been dragged through the muds of mediocrity for many years, and even at the peak of its popularity in the PS1 days... how much did it sell? Around 5 million.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote