AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-09, 00:07   Link #101
kagamisama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In the end, the main points were centred on the "four great inventions" of gunpowder, paper, (tea?), printing and the compass. If there was an "overall point" to the show, I didn't get it.
As a chinese, i'd also say it was a bad opening with no "point", only a colorful show. maybe it's because we have too many things to show the world.

and i wanna tell u that the "four great inventions" are compass, gunpowder, papermaking and printing. maybe it was not a clearly point at all.
kagamisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 00:12   Link #102
Asane
Lelouch follower

The opening ceremonies was really well done in my opinion! It was amazing especially with the drummers at the beginning, the Tai-Chi masters especially running at high speed toward each other, and the torch lighting.
Asane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 00:14   Link #103
kagamisama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asane View Post
The opening ceremonies was really well done in my opinion! It was amazing especially with the drummers at the beginning, the Tai-Chi masters especially running at high speed toward each other, and the torch lighting.
I'm glad and proud that there're ones who enjoyed it.
kagamisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 00:24   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The historical pieces were my favorite -- with the most spectacular moments not the high technology necessarily.. but things like the tai chi troupe, the "printing blocks" (amazing low tech), and the coordination of the large-scale performances.

Having done performance band work -- I'm quite aware of the level of dedication such things take. Also enjoyed much of the music -- felt like an epic RPG at points making me want to pull out Jade Empire and play it again.

I'd forgotten about the arrow flight lighting of the torch at... was that barcelona or los angeles? Whatever the special effect - that was extremely cool.

I'd class the opener as somewhat emblematic of China: huge, multi-faceted, rambling, and too complicated for a summary.
Old 2008-08-09, 00:26   Link #105
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Well, the only Olympic openings I still vaguely remember are Seoul and Barcelona's. Barcelona's torch-lighting (literally a shot through the dark) remains the one to beat, in my opinion.

Actually, I'd agree slightly about the "lack of proper direction". The themes, while eye-dazzlingly spectacular, did not quite seem to gel. If it weren't for the running commentary, I wouldn't have known which parts of Chinese history were on show. In the end, the main points were centred on the "four great inventions" of gunpowder, paper, (tea?), printing and the compass. If there was an "overall point" to the show, I didn't get it.

But hey, when there are so many pretty colours (and girls) on display, who cares? Just enjoy the show.
Not surprised, considering most of Zhang Yimou's recent movies have been lambasted for being all style and no substance.

Sometimes the show it felt like Chinese cultural "overkill", as a Chinese I may get some of the stuff, but even I go "duh? WTF?" at some of the so-called Confucian themes. I can't imagine how bored the other nationalities would be.

The best part of the show was the Tai-Chi, and that obviously drew the most applause. Worst part is the mayor of Beijing making an extremely boring officious speech obviously aimed for his Communist masters, when he's supposed to be speaking to 6 billion people.

He makes Jacques Rogge's speech sound like Obama's oratory, I tell you. At least I get a chance for a toilet-break thanks to him.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 00:34   Link #106
james0246

Quote:
Well, the only Olympic openings I still vaguely remember are Seoul and Barcelona's. Barcelona's torch-lighting (literally a shot through the dark) remains the one to beat, in my opinion.
I am going to have to go with Muhammad Ali lighting the torch in the 1996 Atlanta games (I will always remember Barcelona becuase it was the first time that all the previously controled Soviet Eastern European countries came back to the games - I also seem to recal that the men's gymnastics and basketbal were interesting for this year). The first boxing match I had ever seen was the Thrilla in Manila, the third and final Frazier v. Ali match (which in turn started my life long love of boxing), so seeing the former Heavyweight Champion, stricken with parkinsonism, but standing tall with pride, lighting the flame at the Olympic event was a moment that has lasted with me for many years. (I do admit that part of my bias is because I attended these games .)

That being said, this opening event was quite beautiful...at times. NBC screwed up the continuity of the performance with their commercial breaks, and some of the 'scenes' were a little over-blown. The acting performances, though, were wonderful, if for no other reason than the fact that everyone seemd to be having a great time. I actually 'felt' the actors/performers pride for their country during their various performances. Seeing their smiles and cheers more than made up for any over-compensation on the part of the director. And the closing torch-lighting was quite beautiful. But, the stiff soldiers posses while carring the flags were...intimidating, to say the least.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-08-09 at 00:45.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 00:36   Link #107
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The historical pieces were my favorite -- with the most spectacular moments not the high technology necessarily.. but things like the tai chi troupe, the "printing blocks" (amazing low tech), and the coordination of the large-scale performances.
Indeed. The opening performance, with the 2,008 "drummers", was especially superbly synchronised.

Quote:
I'd forgotten about the arrow flight lighting of the torch at... was that barcelona or los angeles? Whatever the special effect - that was extremely cool.
It was Barcelona.

Spoiler for the nostalgia value, but I can't have it stealing Beijing's thunder, not now, at least:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 01:08   Link #108
Asane
Lelouch follower

Those soldiers were intimidating, but hey this was suppose to be a way for China to show-off to the world. I guess that includes military power?

Everything was done well and well, it was awesome!!! Though, you could really tell, that the Chinese people were proud of this moment and for them this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to show the world who they really are...
Asane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 01:08   Link #109
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Japan got a pretty vigorous applause on entry as did Taiwan. The Chinese *people* seem really keen on being good hosts and being caught up in the atmosphere.
What is depicted by the news and politicians rarely reflects how the majority of people actually feel.

I really liked the way how the Japanese team held the Chinese flag as well as their own. Good to see some of the guests putting on a good face and making positive moves instead of putting the boot in. Makes me embarrassed to be British the was some of us behave. I hope we can concentrate on the Olympics instead of someone's political agenda.
Old 2008-08-09, 02:21   Link #110
Sunab0uzu

simply amazing and very enjoyable to watch. damn you china. that was seriously epic
Sunab0uzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 02:37   Link #111
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'm no fan of Zhang Yimou, but that ceremony had real "wow" factor. Well, wow with a side of corn. The fireworks were quite spectacular--I don't think I've seen anything so grand on the 4th of July even when I was in Philly, though I wouldn't have had a bird's eye view. Missed team China's entry and the end to catch the last bus though. Pity.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 05:17   Link #112
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Don't flame me for this... but 2008 puts 1936 to shame

That's in terms of artistic value.
I was thinking 2008 was worse than 1936 and 1988.

How they lit the torch.... that wrecked too many imaginations
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 05:44   Link #113
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

oh well, don't know if you know guys, the spirit of the Olympics and all got a major blow yesterday.A major crisis broke out in the caucasus, the type of crisis you start world wars over, I hope it won't get too bad but so much for peace and reconciliation.
Old 2008-08-09, 06:14   Link #114
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Japan got a pretty vigorous applause on entry as did Taiwan. The Chinese *people* seem really keen on being good hosts and being caught up in the atmosphere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
I really liked the way how the Japanese team held the Chinese flag as well as their own. Good to see some of the guests putting on a good face and making positive moves instead of putting the boot in.
Quite by accident, I happened to catch this programme on NHK World Premium Channel on cable: Yostumoto Naomi's Teku-teku Beijing. Apparently, she is an international table tennis player (I've never heard of her before) who has trained with Chinese players before, and during the programme, she wanders around Beijing. She meets and chats with many ordinary Beijing people while exploring the city's hutongs, and generally receives a warm welcome wherever she goes. Especially when she encounters table-tennis players, be they retirees playing on stone tables, or budding amateur players in a table-tennis club.

Of course, it helps that she's really cute too.

But overall, it gives you an impression that orindary people are generally ok with Japanese, especially younger Chinese.
Old 2008-08-09, 08:57   Link #115
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

When is the women gymnastic events being schedueld ?

I'm kind of interested in watching it after reading this
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 10:44   Link #116
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The Sydney torch lighting was quite an event, too. Certainly the most impressive so far. And no offense to Americans, but I found the structure that supported the Atlanta torch quite unappealing.

Either way, the opening ceremony was nice. I was only particularly amazed by the guys in the suits with small lights, and the moment when the martial artists began to run in opposite directions (how the hell did they avoid crashing into each other?), and of course, the location of the torch, which surprised me quite a bit.

Other than that, for a country which barely gets any medals, today we got our first medal ever in Judo (bronze medal in women's 48kg). Congratulations to Paula Pareto!

Of course, the discipline I'm eagerly awaiting is football, even when its Olympic competition is kind of shoddy in general.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 11:04   Link #117
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quite the opening ceremony. It was amazing every single part of it. I don't remember being in awe like that in a long time. I doubt I'll watch the Olympics anymore than I usually do, just basketball, soccer, and football. But the ceremony was a site to behold.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 11:46   Link #118
ShadowFoX
Uchiha Incarnate

The opening ceremony last night was quite extravagant.

I think it's better to watch it on TV than actually being there though. China is hot enough as it is, and with all the fireworks going off--the smoke and all--I can't imagine it being a cool stay while watching the 4 hour long ceremony.

Otherwise, I'm pretty excited for the games ^_^
ShadowFoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 12:02   Link #119
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

So, after the first full day of competitions, the medal tally for the Top 5 looks like this:

RankCountryGSBTotal
1China2002
2USA1113
3Korea1102
4Czech Republic1001
4Spain1001
4Romania1001

The detailed breakdown can be found at the official website.

I managed to catch glimpses of the men's gymnastics, the women's swimming heats, some men's boxing preliminaries, women's basketball and lastly the USA v JPN women's volleyball preliminary (the USA won — they were clearly stronger, but the Japanese put up a good fight).

Also managed to watch Chen Xiexia win China's first gold medal, by setting a new Olympic record in the women's weightlighting in the 48kg category.

Unfortunately, missed Michael Phelps in action. From what I hear, he was head and shoulders above the competition, easily winning the men's heats without a sweat. Apparently, Federer's been getting a lot of media attention, and he's hating it. Poor guy — I don't envy the amount of pressure he must be feeling right now.

Heard radio commentary cheering Samuel Sanchez to the finish line of the 240km men's cycling event. Sounded exciting, but watching the cycling on TV is, er, boring.

Congratulations to all winners, and their undoubtly happy countrymen at home.

Yes indeed. Olympic fever has taken its hold on me. It helps that I'm watching it on my family's brand new hi-def TV (just got it today, woohoo!).
Old 2008-08-09, 12:03   Link #120
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Of course, it helps that she's really cute too.
PING PONG!!! <- (in the very gay style of Gwok)

Tags
olympics