AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-04, 08:26   Link #981
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

the truth amuses, actually. the absurdity is hilarious. Like Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight character with satyriatis in How I Met Your Mother.
Old 2010-03-04, 16:12   Link #982
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Fate is that type of a character to constantly break limits and keeps transcending the very boundaries of time and space.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-03-04, 16:15   Link #983
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The problem is that the very thing that makes Hei so awesome is that he's a cold, emotionless badass.

So unless you're saying Fate is cold and emotionless...
Old 2010-03-04, 16:21   Link #984
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Fate could become cold and emotionless under the right set of circumstances...
Old 2010-03-04, 16:29   Link #985
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yes, but that'd be the very thing Fate fans -or at least the ones around here- don't want.

If Fate were a guy, he'd be a shy guy who blushes at nearly everything, yet strong when the battle calls. In the first season he'd be an emotionally stunted kid abused by his mother (or father if we go for a full genderswap).

If Force is anything to guy by, Fate would have a lot less fans, since like Force, the very traits that made the girls special are suddenly 'generic.'
Old 2010-03-04, 16:31   Link #986
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Fate displays a character trait of stoicism in the first season but she wouldn't be cold or ruthless unless her mother really wanted her to. (so she can be cold/emotionless if she wanted to I admit but I'll still admire her as long as she possesses that unwavering determination still) I find Hei's qualities of being a composed and 'in control' individual to be higher on my list of likable characteristics.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-03-04, 16:35   Link #987
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Hmmm... So, if we do an AU where Fate is a guy and Yuuno is a girl... It would be intriguing, from a scientific standpoint, to see the fan base reaction, heh. See how much perception changes based on a simple gender change.
Old 2010-03-04, 16:36   Link #988
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Fate displays a character trait of stoicism in the first season but she wouldn't be cold or ruthless unless her mother really wanted her to. (so she can be cold/emotionless if she wanted to I admit but I'll still admire her as long as she possesses that unwavering determination still)
So.... Fate can be cold and emotionless, and quite possibly much more ruthless than how she originally was in the first season if Precia wished it, and you still would have liked her for her "unwavering determination"?

Meh, to each their own.
Old 2010-03-04, 16:43   Link #989
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Fate displays a character trait of stoicism in the first season but she wouldn't be cold or ruthless unless her mother really wanted her to.
Which means she wouldn't be a Hei. Which was my point, really. Genderbending Fate won't make her a Hei, because the very traits that make Hei, Hei are the traits Fate briefly skimmed past in S1, and completely abandoned afterwards.
Old 2010-03-04, 18:00   Link #990
*AlEx*

T_t

where can i watch the movie!!!?! >///<
Old 2010-03-04, 22:36   Link #991
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

I wouldn't say that Hei is a complete jerk, though. He shows compassion for a few people, Havoc and Yin being the first two that come to mind. He's only really ruthless to his enemies. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're similar, but (season 1) Fate and Hei do share some stoic traits. The difference is that Hei is a ruthless killer to his enemies, and indifferent to anyone who isn't Yin, whereas Fate is apologetic to her enemies, and indifferent to anyone who isn't Precia. It's a pretty big difference.

Then again, I haven't watched DtB Season 2 yet. Maybe Hei's changed, I dunno.
Old 2010-03-04, 23:25   Link #992
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
So.... Fate can be cold and emotionless, and quite possibly much more ruthless than how she originally was in the first season if Precia wished it, and you still would have liked her for her "unwavering determination"?

Meh, to each their own.
A character willing to do anything for the one they love is a really attractive character trait, imo.

...But it has to be done right. Showing sympathy to the ones they wrong is the difference between done right, and done wrong. As well as the future influence it has on said character. Needs to be emotionally strong themselves, as well as sympathetic to others. And that makes win, to me. If you're going to take the darker path, you shouldn't emo about it. It was your own choice, so either stop doing it, or take it in stride.

Though I think deep down, Fate isn't capable of killing. One of those characters that will falter at the final moment and face the consequences because of it.
Old 2010-03-05, 00:00   Link #993
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yes, but that'd be the very thing Fate fans -or at least the ones around here- don't want.'
Not this fan, I'm actually more intrigued by Fate's potential to be cold and emotionless when needed. I like how it can be possible and still be 'gentle and nice' when out of the battlefield. I like duality.
Old 2010-03-05, 00:17   Link #994
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
A character willing to do anything for the one they love is a really attractive character trait, imo.

...But it has to be done right. Showing sympathy to the ones they wrong is the difference between done right, and done wrong.
Yes, I agree. I'd like to see that trait from more people who consider themselves fans. How can one be a true Nanoha fan, if they disrespect what Nanoha stands for by *not* showing sympathy to others? It really makes me chuckle to see such fans act in ways that the characters they idolize, wouldn't. The real characters would strive past all differences to get along.

Probably wandered a bit off topic, but I'm still intrigued by the idea of a Dark Fate. One who was abused under Precia until she was 15 or 16 years old. More time to turn Fate into a darker individual, who still loves mother, but plots to be better than her, heh.
Old 2010-03-05, 00:43   Link #995
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Hey, a lot of times characters are idolized because they're capable of being something we are not.

<-----
Old 2010-03-05, 00:59   Link #996
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Hey, a lot of times characters are idolized because they're capable of being something we are not.

<-----
That's what fiction is ultimately about: making up a story with characters, to showcase themes and traits more clearly than you could in a nonfiction story. In one respect, we'll never be Nanoha. But the main reason we watch is because we admire the characters due to the traits and attitudes they possess.

That's a big motivator for me; I like Nanoha, so I don't want to tarnish what she represents, by disregarding what she would do in situations. Thus, I'd rather talk things out with people where I can, and only resort to force if attacked. Above all, try to avoid being mean if possible. It's like saying: "Yeah, I like Superman, so in his name, I'm gonna hurt a lot of people." How can you be for something, if you actively go against everything that it represents?

I'd really question their mental stability. :P
Old 2010-03-05, 01:08   Link #997
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
That's what fiction is ultimately about: making up a story with characters, to showcase themes and traits more clearly than you could in a nonfiction story. In one respect, we'll never be Nanoha. But the main reason we watch is because we admire the characters due to the traits and attitudes they possess.
Ah, well said. To me, it gives hope for something that we could work towards achieving.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-03-05, 02:01   Link #998
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Fate could become cold and emotionless under the right set of circumstances...
Yes! \o/

Quote:
Yes, but that'd be the very thing Fate fans -or at least the ones around here- don't want.
OBJECTION!

Precia-rization is the only way Fate's going to improve in my eyes.

Donning a mask on a killing spree that actually uses her lightning talents? Sign me on!

Hence why L-chan had a strange hypnotic pull over me...

But Fate surpassing the Doctor, the Professional, the Black Reaper?! As a sworn fan of both, I am objective enough to say HELL NO.

Quote:
If Fate were a guy, he'd be a shy guy who blushes at nearly everything, yet strong when the battle calls. In the first season he'd be an emotionally stunted kid abused by his mother (or father if we go for a full genderswap).

If Force is anything to go by, Fate would have a lot less fans, since like Force, the very traits that made the girls special are suddenly 'generic.'
Agreed.
Old 2010-03-05, 03:34   Link #999
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Didn't seem like that during our last Fate debate though.

Quote:
Though I think deep down, Fate isn't capable of killing. One of those characters that will falter at the final moment and face the consequences because of it.
Which is why Fate wouldn't be, and can't be, a Hei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
Not this fan, I'm actually more intrigued by Fate's potential to be cold and emotionless when needed. I like how it can be possible and still be 'gentle and nice' when out of the battlefield. I like duality.
Good to know, claim withdrawn.
Old 2010-03-05, 04:12   Link #1000
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Didn't seem like that during our last Fate debate though.
It's all about intent. I think Fate would consider killing some one for the sake of her mother, but at the same time, I don't believe she's capable of finishing the job.Resulting in consequences for herself.

Quote:
Which is why Fate wouldn't be, and can't be, a Hei.
Naturally, though I never said she was or could be. I only argued that "who is cooler" is open to interpretation. Then again, my attachment to Fate isn't because she oozes pure concentrated cool.