AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 14 35.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 52.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 7.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.50%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-05-23, 03:40   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:13   Link #2
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Episodes 4 and 7 were awesome as all hell, can't really say the same for the others, at least the series looks pretty.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 22:08   Link #3
Skye629

8.5/10 (I rounded up in the poll just because I waited around 4 years for it to finish lol)

Overall very good but there are some weak points and changes that would have been better if they fleshed out or never changed (such as the Dakar battle and the whole of episode 4 for that matter)

Animation: Top notch

Acting: Japanese is great of course from the perspective of someone who does not speak the language (AKA we really have no idea), the Dub was pretty damn good, though the choice of words were pretty cheesy at some points)

OST: Nothing short of amazing

Plot: Good, but nothing spectacular, there are some flaws and things left untouched

Mecha Designs: Hell yeah downright loved em all
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 22:13   Link #4
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 9
Soundtrack: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 8

Average = 9/10

Really enjoyed it. I wrote it off due to my lack of interest in Gundam after SEED, but from the first episode it re-ignited it. My favourite episode was 5. But I loved all of them. OST was fantastic and so were the ED songs, and down to the grunt fights were fun to watch, not just whichever had Unicorn or Banshee.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 07:46   Link #5
itisjustme

Animation: Being an OVA it's obviously better than a TV series but the action still doesn't have the dynamism and energy of a show like Majestic Prince, or even Macross Zero that's a decade older. Is that too much to ask in a Gundam show? 8/10

Voice Acting: Good without being fantastic. +1 for the English dub. 9/10

Plot: Ehh it was ok for a gundam show, nothing groundbreaking but you could call it a nod to Gundam classics. Still ended with another magical Deus ex NeoTypus that I was hoping they'd avoid in this new century. 5/10

Characters: Possibly the best part of UC. Strong characters (I'm a fan of Audrey FF and Marida), Loni cuts a tragic figure, some fanservice with FF and Bright Noa, Angelo is a bit stereotypical and Riddhe turned into wtf needs to die kind of character. I wasn't a fan of Banagher but he's better than the Camille Setsuna or Shinn at least. 8.5/10

OST: Everyone loves it for some reason but for me while it does quiet and dark and vast well it's rather lacking in epic battle and energetic tunes, something like Freedom and Justice or Last Mission ~ Quantum Burst. 7/10

Overall: In itself it's a decent show, with production value offset by having to wait 4 years. -1 for the ending (disabling MSs with a handwave? please that stuff makes me gag), +1 for old UC nostalgia and references. 7/10

Last edited by itisjustme; 2014-05-24 at 08:05.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 07:52   Link #6
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Voice Actors: 10
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 7

Overall: 9

Screw the long wait for an episode because the animation quality and battle scenes more than make up for it. Would have loved to see more focus on the political storm unfolding within the Federation government, but this series triumphs as a love letter to all UC fans, and a exhilarating ride to the finish for the general fandom.

Unicorn has also transcended into the Super Robot genre, with Unicorn & Banshee performing miracles inexplicable even within the UC universe. The word Newtype is really a catchphrase for all things that cannot be explained by the slightest logic. I also deplore the characterisation of Banagher, particularly in episode 4, for his no-kill policy and what is really an extreme form of non-violence. Killing would certainly sully one's hands, but it also means that one is ready to endure the burden of guilt to achieve the greater good. At least Banagher wasn't as crazy as Kio.

While CCA was a fitting conclusion to the Amuro-Char rivalry, Unicorn is IMO the best way (and perhaps the perfect escape route) to end the UC saga once and for all. Leaving the ending ambiguous means that fans can imagine the kind of future they want for the UC universe. Perfect for a series about the power of possibilities. And this saves Sunrise the trouble of retconning F91 and Victory.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 11:28   Link #7
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Gundam Unicorn is able to place a balance between story, character growth and combat, as well as being though-provoking. While the story did become a little reliant on magic in the end, the emotional investment aspect more than compensates for the (minor!) shortcomings in the story; this is an anime that's been with me for four years, and each episode has its own unique aspects that remind me of a particular event over the past four years. Moreover, it should go without saying that the audio-visual elements were of a superior quality. This is a Gundam series that gets much more right than it has shortcomings, and the hiccoughs it does have are not enough to take away from the anime. Overall, the entire Gundam Unicorn OVA series earns a ten out of ten
Old 2014-09-24, 10:58   Link #8
Devaki
Kiseki no Yūsha

Animation: 9 (it's OVA with high budget after all)

Voice Actors perfomance: 8 (being fan of certain seiyuus in this series)

Story: 7 (Certain part changed from the novel though....)

OST: 9 (one word - EPIC)

Enjoyment: 9 (due to animation and voice acting)

Emotional Involvement: 5 (ruined because Neo Zeong, lol)
Devaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-13, 14:29   Link #9
dmaxzero

I havent read the LN sadly. So cant comment on the changes the show made on the source material.

As a whole, its a solid audiovisual piece. The visual, the sound, the story is all really good, if not top notch. It is perfect? No.

The visuals are really good to look at. I still remember my jaw dropping on the first ten minutes of episode 1 when Marida is facing the Jagens. Never I have really seen a mobile suit battle so detailed, those ten minutes set the bar of what we could expect on the whole animation department. For me at least, the rest of the show delivered, but I never again felt that same level of excitement that those first 10 minutes.

The sound is a strong thing in this show; nothing short of awesome. The OST made every moment special and larger than life. The ending songs where fitting and thrilling, OVA 3 and 5 had the best ones in my opinion.

The story. I was waiting for so long for a Universal Century new story. I love Gundam, but I love the UC Gundam, not all these other incarnations and parallel or alternative time lines. So I have to admit some sort of biased predisposition to the plot of Unicorn. Though overall was interesting and solid, there were things that made my eye twitch from time to time. The whole Newtype thing, they have reached a point where the Newtype come close to a god with the right tools at his/her disposal, transcending time and death itself. In my opinion, the story didn't need to take the characters to that plane, the execution was done good but when reaching some levels is like the words Newtime and psyco frame were used for anything that was not possible to explain at all; the ending of episode 7 being the prime example. But in all was enjoyable, the political background and power shifts were interesting and was totally involved in it.

The characters were mostly interesting, some were generic. Was a bliss seeing some of the old faces of UC´s continuity. The main roster was good, though Banagher was hard to bear at times. His no kill policy and suffering was too black and white, and personally that bothers me a lot. But as a story reason it worked ok for the show´s progression. Marida and the captains of both ships were great. The antagonist were good without being annoying or ridiculous. No idea or names of seiyus really, it all sounded good to me.

Totally invested in the series, hope this sets a trend for big shows in how to keep audience captive in a time lenght that expands for several years.

Overall 8.5/10 (Newtype/Psyco armor OP nonsense use and Banagher lowered for me, but great show, great quality)
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 00:32   Link #10
Shmoof

TL;DR
It was pretty good. I can't say I'm a Gundam fanboy again, but I mostly liked it.

I've since removed myself from the Gundam multiverse since the end of 00 back in...2009? There were just too many things that were making the franchise not enjoyable for me. Upon hearing about Unicorn and how much hype it had, my interest was piqued. However, I am not the kind of person that can stand something in such a staggered release fashion over such a long period of time. So I've waited four years for the series to end before finally picking it up. It seems I'm about five months off, but I have been waiting a while. That said, I had very high hopes in Unicorn and wished it would be the saving grace to bring me back in.

I find myself unable to give the series a proper rating because even though I thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of it, specifically the animation, voicing, music and so on, there were some real problems that reminded me of why I strayed from Gundam.

The biggest offenders for me are three kinds of character deaths in which I call plot kills, finally-understanding-each other kills, or the ever classic Tomino / George R R Martin "eff it, I'm going to kill this person." They've been going on since 0079 and appear in virtually every series to date. Specifically, a character is killed off for no other reason than to act as a stepping stone for a plot movement (Daguza, Gilboa). We have some intense emotional confrontation with a female character, usually love interest, and finally, or just about, convince her that we should stop fighting (Loni). And finally, the character that everyone loves is killed off at the end just to make us cry (Marida).

Honestly, I don't mind the first one. I'm an author. I've done it myself in the book I've written. But the other two bother the hell out of me. One can just about see little death flags being planted into the heads of various characters. Perhaps my biggest complaint in this department was that I thought that this time it would finally be different since this was a new project and something not written by Tomino.

Secondly, there were character issues. Specifically the returners from previous shows: Full Frontal, Bright, and Kai.

I must admit, I didn't really like 0079. The only thing keeping my attention was Char and his story. I mostly loved Zeta due to Kamille and Char. CCA completely ruined my favorite bad-ass character for me. When I first saw Frontal in Unicorn, my hopes were renewed. Unfortunately, he really fizzled out towards the end, both in his impact on the story and quite literally fizzling out in his ginormous robot. I felt he was thrown in as a fan service character. The whole Neo-Zeon group could have just run without him.

Bright never slapped anyone. Not once. Not even that obnoxious Vist lady at the end. Seriously, if you're going to bring Bright in, somebody has to get slapped.

I never liked Kai. His saving grace came way too late in 0079 and he just felt like an eyesore thrown in for more fan service. Speaking of which, where are the other key fan service characters? If there was this guy who was the second coming of Char, you'd think people like Sayla and Kamille would bother to show up. They sure didn't during CCA. Instead, we got Kai.

In summary, it seems little has changed. Sure the art, music, and voicing are godly, as one might expect with any passage of time, but there's just the same old Gundam at heart. Then again, I'm just really bitter.

Voice Actors: 10
Script: 5 (see: ridiculous kills that I thought would have gotten better by now)
Soundtrack: 10
Editing: 10
Enjoyment: 5 (see: ridiculous kills that I thought would have gotten better by now)
Emotional Involvement: 8

8/10
Shmoof is offline   Reply With Quote