AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-08, 22:58   Link #61
Shadow Kira01

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009...-row-86770915/

It seems that president-elect Barack Obama seems to be interested in former members of the Clinton Administration rather than pick a team of his own. I don't find the idea of replacing Thomas Schieffer with Joseph Nye as appealing. Considering that Nye is being coined as "soft power", I am starting to find Bush's aides idea of continuing the North Korea pressure as unconvincing.. Looks like things will get tougher when it comes to getting back the abductees.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 00:01   Link #62
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The abductee issue should be handled by Japan primarily. I don't think the US has much say in that particular matter.
Old 2009-01-10, 03:30   Link #63
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
The abductee issue should be handled by Japan primarily. I don't think the US has much say in that particular matter.
Although the communists would like the relations between Japan and the United States to continue to deteriorate, but it's not like that everybody isn't realizing it. The abductee issue involves the US, because the US is an ally of Japan and is also responsible for the regional security of Japan due to the treaty signed after WWII.

Without military pressure, the North Koreans would not bother to re-investigate the case of Japanese civilians getting abducted by North Korean agents a few decades ago to teach them the Japanese language and to train spies. Japan without the help of the US would not be successful, since economic sanctions are not even affecting North Korea to the slightest when the other 5 of the 6 six-party talks nations are helping them with supplies and financial aid. Diplomatic pressure is also ineffective because without military flexibility, North Korea is totally ignoring it. If the US decides to build stronger relations with North Korea, Japan would lose the final leverage of utilizing the issues of denuclearization and the abductees and won't be able to do anything further with regards to the whereabouts of the abductees. The involvement of the United States in this case is vital.
Old 2009-01-10, 03:49   Link #64
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Truth be told, Japan is potent enough to stand by itself as a power. The Pacific Fleet should be (and probably is) more wary of China. Too often, East Asian countries pull out the ghosts of WWII. Japan as it is today is a legitimate power and should be treated as such.
Old 2009-01-10, 04:56   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I still can't get over the fact that Al Franken is now a U.S Senator. On the other hand it must suck to be Roland Burris right now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 14:27   Link #66
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I still can't get over the fact that Al Franken is now a U.S Senator. On the other hand it must suck to be Roland Burris right now.
he is still going to be a us senator, even if just for 2 yrs. he will still get a lifetime pension and medical insurance.

however i wish the african-american community would show some more openese. first they defend jefferson and his 100k in the fridge. Now they are accusing everyone of racism if they are against burriss being seated a senator. Also some of the African-American leaders make me cringe when they keep repeating that Obama old senate seat needed to be seated by another african-american. Omitting the fact that Obama is half-white and was raise by his white grand parents in Hawaii.

do those guys release how racist they sound?

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2009-01-10 at 19:00.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 16:30   Link #67
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Truth be told, Japan is potent enough to stand by itself as a power. The Pacific Fleet should be (and probably is) more wary of China. Too often, East Asian countries pull out the ghosts of WWII. Japan as it is today is a legitimate power and should be treated as such.
Japan should not be treated as a legitimate power if it does not have the right to exercise collective self-defense, though it possesses it. More over, without securing a seat in the United Nations security council as a permanent member, it would be odd to suddenly be able to obtain the right to exercize collective self-defense. Thus, it would not occur unless the first issue is resolved which also means that the six-party talks on the North Korea issue is still unresolved.
Old 2009-01-10, 18:09   Link #68
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
he is still going to be a us senator, even if just for 2 yrs. he will still get a lifetime pension and medical insurance.

however i wish the african-american community would show some more openese. first they defend jefferson and his 100k in the fridge. 2. now they are accusing everyone of racism if they are against burriss being seated a senator. Also some of the African-American leaders make me cringe when they keep repeating that Obama old senate seat needed to keep by seated by another african-american. Omitting the fact that Obama is half-white and was raise by his white grand parents in Hawaii.

do those guys release how racist they sound?
I can gleam your main point. BUT, you need to be careful using the words "african american community", this signifies the entire community holds theses sentiments which is just plain darn false.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 21:38   Link #69
Shadow Kira01

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FZMuwD95MFMVG0

US president-elect Barack Obama drew his veto card just days before the inauguration due to possible internal strife.
Old 2009-01-14, 06:04   Link #70
Whiteshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Actually I don't think so. Roland Burris knows he's about to die and judging by the fact he already has his grave prepared (a real fancy one at that), he wants to put one last thing onto it before he can call it quits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southbound_07/2750018934/
Whiteshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 06:35   Link #71
flohtingPoint
Limited Slip

Send a message via ICQ to flohtingPoint Send a message via AIM to flohtingPoint
I seriously wish that this whole inauguration could be done with quickly... The beltway traffic is getting asinine. DC is clogged up like hell and you have to resort to rural routes to go anywhere... I mean 66, 95, 3 and 495 were bad enough but now? Forget about it.
flohtingPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 15:11   Link #72
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FZMuwD95MFMVG0

US president-elect Barack Obama drew his veto card just days before the inauguration due to possible internal strife.

i think the president elect is getting a taste of what people meant by "Herding Cats", and "Circular Firing Squad."

Maybe he should have pay attention to how the senate works besides running for president when he was elected senator.
Old 2009-01-15, 15:33   Link #73
mg1942

Goodbye..... 4th Amendment?

The fruits of an illegal search are now admissible.... if the police officer made an 'honest mistake'.

The guy is detained, the computer shows an outdated warrant, they search him and find stuff, then they find out the warrant isn't valid. Whatever happened to fruit of the goddamned poisoned tree?
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 16:03   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

The fruits of an illegal search are now admissible.... if the police officer made an 'honest mistake'.

The guy is detained, the computer shows an outdated warrant, they search him and find stuff, then they find out the warrant isn't valid. Whatever happened to fruit of the goddamned poisoned tree?
eyup... shows you how "constitutional" that slim conservative majority really is (what was that about activist judges? ).... 'rule of law' takes one on the chin.
Old 2009-01-15, 16:26   Link #75
solomon

Wow, that is messed up. Even with the stuff they found on him, that is so messed up.
Old 2009-01-19, 00:05   Link #76
solomon

Still brimming with happiness over all the festivities. Although my metro area traffic is the stuff of nightmares. Now, it's like we're in Manhattan.
Old 2009-01-19, 03:10   Link #77
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

This almost feels like they're trying to validate stupidity and lapses in police procedures. Once they're allowed by any letter they can just be left alone to go out of control.

On a lighter note, my roommate insisted that yesterday (Sunday) was inauguration day and had the TV on. He called me later to admit he was wrong, but I'm not sure whether he realized by checking the date or waiting at the screen until way after 2pm.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 23:13   Link #78
Shadow Kira01

Biden Was Offered Secretary Of State Job

Although I do understand Biden's feelings of not wanting to stay with his family, yet I found his decision to be somewhat foolish. Truly, the position as vice-president would display Biden as a partner of Barack Obama, but that position doesn't have much authority to it. Wouldn't it be a much better idea if Joe Biden had taken the stronghold position and work as true partners with Barack Obama rather than letting their former rival hold it? *facepalm*

Obama: McCain is 'an American Hero'

It appears that president-elect Barack Obama is afraid that McCain supporters might cause trouble on inauguration day, so he had to praise McCain in advance and also shows that he is willing to team up with the Republicans on various policies and political issues, as long as the United States remain united for next 4 years. A clever decision!
Old 2009-01-19, 23:32   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, he's not "afraid" of McCain supporters... he might be concerned about the extreme loony wingnut rightwingers (who hated McCain just a bit less than Obama), but that's what the Secret Service is for.

He's praising McCain because now that things are back to normal, McCain still stands as one of the more moderate members of his party and historically willing to work across party lines. The Republican Party is in total disarray between the thugs and weasels scampering, the social conservatives marginalized, and most of the intellectual remnants throwing their hands up in disgust. I think most of us prefer the moderate Republicans restore the party rather than the Palin&co. cryptofascist wingnuts.
Old 2009-01-20, 00:14   Link #80
solomon

Stand Up gesture.

I had no beef with McCain, was seriously considering him early on but yea what Vexx said.

The Repubs have to do something different or they will continue have as much black support as they do (namely zilch) same with hispanics (which is modest and fluctuating at best IMHO).

Tags
united_states