AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-02-25, 10:33   Link #1
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Do you play chinese PC games?

Legend of the Condor Heroes
Wind and Cloud
The semi devils and demi gods
Swordsman

and its like?

Although a bit boring when levelling up, they make up in effects and storyline not seen in western games.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 10:37   Link #2
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Please make sure that you're starting the thread in the appropriate forum next time

-> Moved to Games.
Old 2004-02-25, 10:55   Link #3
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheal
Legend of the Condor Heroes
Wind and Cloud
The semi devils and demi gods
Swordsman

and its like?

Although a bit boring when levelling up, they make up in effects and storyline not seen in western games.
The Chinese RPGs share a lot with the Japanese RPGs in that they had static turn-based battles with static damages. In my view since everything is practically fixed, there is no element of randomness or excitement to me.

It is boring to see 杨过(Yang Guo) or Mushashi or 聂风(Nie Feng) dash forward and deal 999 damage with his most powerful stroke (which is the only stroke you'll use against any enemy), get hit in return for 1283, quaff a pill or 3 (restore 900), repeat & rinse till enemy is dead. Then find the same mob again and again.

Seen my friend playing 轩辕剑 3 (Sword of Xuan Yuan 3) and I could predict when is he going to finish each combat once he's started. You could also see his bored countenance that only picks up now & then when some new object/quest is found.

The only time I will bear with this combat system is for turn-based combat tactics game (of which I liked 天使帝国 - Empire of Angels then).

Baldur's Gate bears still the best CRPG experience for me. Interactions and story are key. If the Chinese CRPGs managed to come up with a BG-like engine along with all the interesting side-quests and side-character interactions, that might be something to behold.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 15:12   Link #4
KBTKaiser

*pats his stack of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 5-8 before preparing to speak.*

Gotta love the colorful history we have available to make into games. I also have an old 1995 Condor Hero variation game that was apparently RPG game of the year back then. Bah...I never got around to beating that...maybe XP will run this blasted thing...
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 20:42   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
*pats his stack of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 5-8 before preparing to speak.*

Gotta love the colorful history we have available to make into games. I also have an old 1995 Condor Hero variation game that was apparently RPG game of the year back then. Bah...I never got around to beating that...maybe XP will run this blasted thing...
Ha! I can certainly nominate RoTK II having the "Background tune that keeps repeating in your head". I stopped playing since RoTK IV. Anyways last I heard its RoTK 9 now but I think Koei is laying off that series to concentrate for the console market.
Old 2004-02-25, 21:04   Link #6
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
You know, people play RPG games more for the story than the gameplay... Also, the better Chinese RPGs such as 仙剣 and 轩辕剑 are either all long running series or it was a ported Japanese RPG. If they were after exciting gameplay, they'd be mucking with the PS2. Although I wouldn't say Chinese RPGs are better than Japanese RPGs, they do have their merits and offer tons more story than your average western game.

Now, I'm not saying all Chinese RPGs are good (4 out of 10 are crap), but you can't exactly compare it to western ones like Baulder's gate which is based on dungeons and dragons while Chinese RPGs tend to be a cross between RPG and SLG. For example, how often do you see a love triangle in the Baulder's Gate series or any of it's spinoffs? You do in EVERY Chinese RPG :P
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 22:57   Link #7
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth
You know, people play RPG games more for the story than the gameplay... Also, the better Chinese RPGs such as 仙剣 and 轩辕剑 are either all long running series or it was a ported Japanese RPG. If they were after exciting gameplay, they'd be mucking with the PS2. Although I wouldn't say Chinese RPGs are better than Japanese RPGs, they do have their merits and offer tons more story than your average western game.

Now, I'm not saying all Chinese RPGs are good (4 out of 10 are crap), but you can't exactly compare it to western ones like Baulder's gate which is based on dungeons and dragons while Chinese RPGs tend to be a cross between RPG and SLG. For example, how often do you see a love triangle in the Baulder's Gate series or any of it's spinoffs? You do in EVERY Chinese RPG :P
Hey, my main man was always getting involved with Viconica & Aerie then. Not to mention handling his brother Sarevok, adopted-brother Minsc, protectively guarding his sister Imoen, playing along with tag-alongs Jaheria and rest of gang. Have you seen such a "rich" interaction of side characters in CRPGs?

Most of the Chinese RPG love triangle is trite. And having more stories doesn't make it a better game if the stories suck in the first place. Chinese RPGs also tend to be restrictive in how you can influence the plot and direction of your character development. But the key point remains that a good overall plot with an imersive background is the chief hallmark of a good RPG.

My complaints anyway on Chinese RPGs are based on their game engines. Like I said, if they can get a engine similar to or better than the Infinity engine(what BG uses then), there would be a great potential for Chinese RPGs. I can already think of a few campaigns set in FengYun's world or within a puglistic setting (ala Jin Yong's novels) or mystical (FengShenBan or XiYouJi type) that will be good if they can implement it on a better engine.
Old 2004-02-26, 01:05   Link #8
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
My complaints anyway on Chinese RPGs are based on their game engines...
And like I said, "people play RPG games more for the story than the gameplay". Maybe I should've included "most Chinese people play Chinese RPG games for story" to make it more apparent. Either way, I agree about Chinese RPGs always recycling the same engine over and over again, although they've started moving to 3D in the past few years, it still retains the overall same look. But really, the gameplay is secondary. Why do you think people still buy RPGs for if all they were after gameplay?
Old 2004-02-26, 02:01   Link #9
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
And like I said, "people play RPG games more for the story than the gameplay". Maybe I should've included "most Chinese people play Chinese RPG games for story" to make it more apparent. Either way, I agree about Chinese RPGs always recycling the same engine over and over again, although they've started moving to 3D in the past few years, it still retains the overall same look. But really, the gameplay is secondary. Why do you think people still buy RPGs for if all they were after gameplay?
My friend is playing for "something to while away the time" and loyalty's sake for "轩辕剑1 & 2". Most of the times, it is curiousity over the devices in the game (like in 轩辕剑3, the 符 combo system). Sometimes its because we want to find something good & cool that comes from Chinese minds. The story is a secondary discovery and hope.

Some people play RPGs to imagine themselves to be an important character, doing great deeds and stuff. Some people play it to simply complete the objective ("Kill the evil wizard" "Rescue the princess" etc)

In the related vein, a lot of people who play CRPGs play MMPOGs. I do not think they are there for the story judging from the state of how MMPOGs are these days.

You cannot say for they play for the story if it is "天龙八部" (Heavenly Immortals) or "神雕侠侶" (Legend of Condor Heroes) since most of these players already know the story by heart, growing up with the novels.

"Damn my IME-less machine!"

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-02-26 at 08:40. Reason: Back on my IME :)
Old 2004-02-26, 02:49   Link #10
rayearth

You know, I did say "most", not "all". So yes, not all people play for story, feel better now?

As for MMORPGs, they're in a different genre, you can't exactly pull them together with traditional RPGs and compare them - much like you can't pull a strategy game with a first person shooter to compare.

As for novel based games, I'd say some people still play it for story. No no, not the ones who haven't read the novel yet, but those who love the story so much they want to relive it (or perhaps just to critise on how "unloyal" the game is to the original novel). It's the same as why people play games ported from Anime or watch Anime ported from games.
Old 2004-02-26, 05:39   Link #11
Logical Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to Logical Ninja Send a message via AIM to Logical Ninja Send a message via MSN to Logical Ninja
I play Weiqi on the PC, and that's about it in my Chinese games department.
Logical Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 08:32   Link #12
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
You know, I did say "most", not "all". So yes, not all people play for story, feel better now?

As for MMORPGs, they're in a different genre, you can't exactly pull them together with traditional RPGs and compare them - much like you can't pull a strategy game with a first person shooter to compare.

As for novel based games, I'd say some people still play it for story. No no, not the ones who haven't read the novel yet, but those who love the story so much they want to relive it (or perhaps just to critise on how "unloyal" the game is to the original novel). It's the same as why people play games ported from Anime or watch Anime ported from games.
I would dare say most people play games (including RPGs) simply to complete the said objectives or to while away the time.

It is apparent that we see different samples of gamers around us. Perhaps that accounts for our differing views (inclusive of why a lot of gamers playing MMPOGs are also RPG & MUDders).

But since this is a forum and not a "Only my views are right." establishment. Let's leave it at that and consider this point closed and unresolved. Unless someone is able to come up with hard statistics...
Old 2004-02-26, 19:03   Link #13
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

I have lotz of Chinese games... er... let see.... the language are displayed in traditional Chinese for anyone whoz trying to view... XD

1. 聖女之歌 II -- reason i got this one b/c i know the guy who took part draws this ~~
2. 仙劍奇俠伝 3 -- thought it was as good as the dos version (if only ever some1 recalls..... )
3. 月影傅説 --simply love this rpg..... a sequel(or a side story) from 新劍俠情緣
4. 新仙劍奇俠伝--itz ok... comes from the game above ( like the 2 for 1 special pak)
5. 第七封印--i got jip'd from this game... beautiful graphic and customize moves and name... but i got the special ed. which comes w/ a like PS controller... X( doesn't work.... GIVE ME BACK my MONEY!!!
6. 浣花洗劍錄--itz ok.... like the plot only....
7. 大富翁 4-6--typical Monopoly games... i alwayz use Mrs.$$$ you should know if you ever play any of the series.....
8. 成吉思汗--found it stupid... but got it anywayz b/c itz half price....
9. 痲辣大富翁---another Monapoly... graphics are stunning... and voicing too...
10. 瘋狂搖搖杯--This is another one of my Favorites... itz about Managing a BUBBLE TEA STORE..... itz very funky.... you get to mix to drinks... and let others evaluate...
11. 闢歷奇俠傳--more like a puppet show to me... but the plot itz funny and tolerable
12. 霸王別姬--I really like this game.... if ppl heard of this story.... they should know....
13. 古龍奇俠傳--i got stuck on finding a place.... can't get in.... so gave up.... overall... itz very good.... XD
14. 寰神結---graphic is ok.... but not too too font on it... plot is ok too....
15. 臥虎藏龍~青冥劍---strickly comes from a 2 for 1 deal.... the mini games are ok....
16. 小李飛刀--3D walk-arounds... makes me dizzy.... but itz ok... if you like the story itself....
17. 天龍八部--ooo.. this one is pretty good....
18. 巴冷公主--it took me so long to upgrade patches and stuff for this one.....
19. GREEN GREEN--a H game i got..... itz in Jap...
20. 絕代雙驕 2-4---got it b/c of strictly the graphics.... the story got off further down the later series..... =.=''
21. 新劍俠情緣--i love this series tooo... very pretty scenary...
22. 仙狐奇緣--prettiest graphic i recom'd ppl to buy this one... but the magic sux... clothing and weapons... and food and scenes are just remarkable......(very large file... )
23. 明星三缺一-- a chinese majang game...
24. 明星志願 --- superstar wanna be game... very girly... i just love... since i am a girl...
25. 風色幻想 II---i regret it buying this one... so many bugs... =.='''
26. DOREAMON MONOPOLY----prefect voicing.... funny game varies different character.... itz so cute too.....
27. 風雲 II--- =.='' i beat tat so many times.... and monsters wont atk you if your level is high.... so... yeah...
28. 蒼龍少年--it saids itz a good game on gamers magazine... but when i test it out at home.... I want my money back.....
29. 百鬼夜宴--cute little game... you manage a resturant in hell... funny names...
30. 反三國志-- =.=''' i dun like it... too bad i can't return it....
31. 劍靈 ----- I love this game... i played so many times..... didn't get the 2nd one...heard it sux....
32. 異城狂想曲--i think it swears in this one... the language is so er... slang.... but characters are well generaz'd ..
33. 最初幻想--- crappiest game ever.... don't buy it...
34. 楚留香新傳---- one of my top favorites..... plot is so good.(base on a book like some others above)
35. 水火金雷---a sequel from 仙狐奇緣, graphics are just as stunning as mentioned...
36. 幽城幻劍錄-- beautiful magics... and pretty good plot... in relation to 軒轅劍 series....
37. 啊瑪迪斯戰記-- i think the plot is somewat ok..... weapons are not so good tho....
38. 紅磨坊--i just like the clips... a few endings options depending roots you choose... not a rpg...

i think i have more..... some i lend it to friends... they NEVER returned it..... X(

Last edited by Oneesama; 2004-03-08 at 01:43. Reason: MY LIST
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 01:04   Link #14
mono no aware

I downloaded this game called Genghis Khan a while ago. It wasn't very good. I also remember playing The Three Kingdoms when I was little.
mono no aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 03:49   Link #15
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono no aware
I downloaded this game called Genghis Khan a while ago. It wasn't very good. I also remember playing The Three Kingdoms when I was little.
Is this Genghis Khan game published by Koei? I remember long time ago I bought 苍狼白鹿 "Savage(?) Wolf, White Deer" and it was a Koei Genghis Khan game which plays in 2 phases. First phase - unite Mongol. Second phase - conquer the world (with international units!).

I think it was one of their test grounds for new advances which they later integrate for the RoTK series. One of the interesting features of 苍狼白鹿 was the ability to "create" your own offspring
Old 2004-02-29, 09:39   Link #16
kamij0

i play legends before,that was way early the first few chinese games that was developed. i think that was the nicest game also haha ...
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 13:51   Link #17
KBTKaiser

Come to think of it, there is a series I've been looking around for, but too bad they stopped production.

Anyone remember the Flame Dragon games?
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 23:34   Link #18
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

I really liked 仙劍 1 (ah back in the old MS Dos days... 12.. 5 inch diskettes >_> 仙劍 3 was pretty good as well though I don't think the story is as emotional as the first one. All the Jing Yong games were pretty good too but that is only because I liked the original story so much and playing it over gives you a slight different feeling than reading the novel again. One Jing Yong RPG that really worth mentioning is 金庸奇俠傳, a joint of all Jing Yongs novels, story and characters that allow the players freedom in building up your character, and matching it with your favourite moves. This is also the rpg that later spawned several similar types like 古龍, 武林奇俠傳.

天地劫 series has to be one of the best chinese rpg I have ever played on computer. The first one was a SRPG that delivers both a tremendous story and excellent game play(the good end took me forever to get ~_~). The second one inthe series: 幽城幻劍錄 is a more traditional rpg with great story which I throughly enjoyed. I have yet played the third one but I plan on getting it soon XD.
daimonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 02:13   Link #19
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

The old dos game Flame Dragon Knights 2 has the best game music I ever heard. Like the Tien Di games mentioned, FD is from Dynasty, I wonder if they share the same music composer.

Anybody guess which game my avatar is from?
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 07:35   Link #20
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
Anybody guess which game my avatar is from?
Is it from the 1st Xian Jian? It looks alot like it, but I don't entirely sure.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote