AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-02-07, 08:33   Link #5341
HasuMasu
*Artist

My back, neck and shoulders have been slightly deformed for three years now.

Is there any way to fix this, other than surgery?
Old 2012-02-07, 09:49   Link #5342
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
My back, neck and shoulders have been slightly deformed for three years now.

Is there any way to fix this, other than surgery?
It's possible that physical rehabilitation and a chiropractor can correct it, if not fully then at least partially, but it depends on the cause of the deformity. You mentioned that it has been three years since you had the deformity - did it develop on its own, or was there some trauma that induced it? Do you know what the cause is, or have any medical professionals told you anything about it? Is it just positional, or does it interfere with your normal activities and/or cause pain?
Old 2012-02-07, 10:22   Link #5343
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Sounds like scoliosis, or generally a spinal column deformity. Get a consult with an orthopedic surgeon and you'll likely need an x-ray.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 10:33   Link #5344
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

What's the deal with CAIR and why does everybody hate them?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 18:57   Link #5345
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
What's the deal with CAIR and why does everybody hate them?
This CAIR?

[Warning: article "controversial," heavily trolled by wikinationalist nutjobs]

If it is this CAIR, I'm sure I don't need to give you a rundown of US-Islamic relations and the issues therein.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 19:11   Link #5346
NeoChan
Banned

Why does people in anime, don't peel the skin of roasted sweet potato they are eating?
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 03:44   Link #5347
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
This CAIR?

[Warning: article "controversial," heavily trolled by wikinationalist nutjobs]

If it is this CAIR, I'm sure I don't need to give you a rundown of US-Islamic relations and the issues therein.
I was actually wondering if it was something more than that (I don't know much about American politics tbh). I read the article but I felt I was only getting a superficial view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random guy
Refrain from generalizing "everyones" view
Lol WTF? Context much? I wasn't serious dude...
Old 2012-02-08, 04:35   Link #5348
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I was actually wondering if it was something more than that (I don't know much about American politics tbh). I read the article but I felt I was only getting a superficial view.
I'm not an expert on CAIR's affairs, but perusing the news a bit I find that, aside from the usual racist fluff (let's put it straight that way), there are some concerns of CAIR's involvement with more questionable groups and its legitimacy as a civil rights advocacy organization.

It was born with some tenuous links to Hamas, though at the time Hamas wasn't such a power, and a major force for terrorism, as it is today. The FBI is also not shy about probing CAIR, so it sometimes has to defend itself before it could even defend the people it purports to advocate for. At the present, some have continually raised concerns in regards to sources of CAIR's funding (Saudi Arabia being a prime target). I do not know enough to offer my opinion either way, nor that this would necessarily substantially affects its integrity or not.

Some of the cases it raises its advocacy can be considered unwise, i.e. that it is defending genuine criminality based on spurious concerns of racial discrimination. This is a problem similarly faced by the NAACP in regards to their longtime advocacy of African American issues, but it's obviously more sensitive for CAIR and Muslims in the United States. CAIR regularly butt heads with all sorts of authorities in the United States, so some lingering resentment might come from that.

Some Muslims themselves also object to what they see as CAIR's obstinacy in defending more than they themselves would be willing to defend -- that some people really are threats and some groups and opinions really fundamentalist, and CAIR goes too far and ends up lumping ordinary Muslims with these kinds of individuals. In short, that CAIR doesn't represent them and their opinions.

Back to the basics, though: because CAIR is arguably the most prominent Muslim advocacy group in the United States, it is a prime target for far right hatedom.

~my 2 cents. Again, I am not an expert, and this represents a rather shallow opinion.
Old 2012-02-08, 04:55   Link #5349
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It's possible that physical rehabilitation and a chiropractor can correct it, if not fully then at least partially, but it depends on the cause of the deformity. You mentioned that it has been three years since you had the deformity - did it develop on its own, or was there some trauma that induced it? Do you know what the cause is, or have any medical professionals told you anything about it? Is it just positional, or does it interfere with your normal activities and/or cause pain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Sounds like scoliosis, or generally a spinal column deformity. Get a consult with an orthopedic surgeon and you'll likely need an x-ray.
I adopted a really bad posture around 3 years ago, before I knew it my back, shoulders, and neck were visibly deformed. I might get it checked up eventually but I was afraid I'd have to go through bracing, or worse--surgery.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:28   Link #5350
Xenio
Flower

my english teacher is a buddhism follower and she say that even Einstein himself said that he just retold what buddhism already said, is it true?
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 10:48   Link #5351
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
my english teacher is a buddhism follower and she say that even Einstein himself said that he just retold what buddhism already said, is it true?
What part of buddhism did Einstein say?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 11:45   Link #5352
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I adopted a really bad posture around 3 years ago, before I knew it my back, shoulders, and neck were visibly deformed. I might get it checked up eventually but I was afraid I'd have to go through bracing, or worse--surgery.
This applies to all medical issues: get them checked out, and don't wait too long. There are many issues that can be solved very easily if you catch them early enough. If you're afraid of a certain outcome, waiting around isn't going to change the diagnosis - if anything, it may become worse, and will require more extreme forms of treatment (if it can even be treated at that stage).

In your case, your posture isn't really affecting your daily living. Even if the doctor says that surgery is your only option (which I highly doubt it would be, given what you've said thus far), you don't have to undergo surgery. It's your choice: you can just stay as you are, if you really want. On the other hand, what if the solution is much more simple? You don't have anything to lose by getting it checked out.
Old 2012-02-08, 18:49   Link #5353
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I doubt he'll need surgery. A back brace will probably be enough.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 00:36   Link #5354
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
What part of buddhism did Einstein say?
to be ectract, she said "all Einstein's discoveries and theory have already been said by buddhism and Einstein himself said that he just retold what buddhism said"

Last edited by Xenio; 2012-02-09 at 03:09.
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 02:22   Link #5355
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
to be ectract, she said all all Einstein's discoveries and theory have already been said by buddhism and Einstein himself said that he just retold what buddhism said
Your teacher is wrong.

There's a lot of "Eastern" philosophical thought that sounds roughly like something the scientists seem to be making a point on -- ex: the oneness of all things = gets reinterpreted by enthusiastic Buddhist follower as particle physics or something -- but these are stretching the interpretation of things far, far beyond their proper context.

Buddhist scholars certainly weren't working on the Theory of Relativity at any time in the religion's two thousand and five hundred years' history, and no major credible Buddhist authority have made such a claim. Nor did Einstein, so far as I know, ever claimed that he was just regurgitating Eastern "wisdom" at any point in his career.

As a test, you can try asking your teacher for the exact quotation of Einstein's statement of submission to the Wisdom of the East, for the exact relation between Relativity and the Wheel of Dharma, and if s/he cannot satisfactorily answer these queries, consider it an intemperate suggestion made by an overenthusiastic follower who has yet to appreciate the inherent humility and the necessary rejection of pride and passion within the Middle Way.

TL;DR: Meow.
Old 2012-02-09, 03:07   Link #5356
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
to be ectract, she said all all Einstein's discoveries and theory have already been said by buddhism and Einstein himself said that he just retold what buddhism said
That is what some Muslims say, about the Quran already having all the answers written.

Absolute garbage. It is just religious posturing using a modern reprint.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 22:52   Link #5357
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
Why does people in anime, don't peel the skin of roasted sweet potato they are eating?
Maybe because it's just a Japanese thing to eat the skin? I've seen plenty of instances where people do peel the skin, so it's probably just personal preference I assume. And there's nothing wrong with eating the skin, it won't kill ya. It'll probably add to your overall fat consumption (which doesn't matter in the long run because it IS a potato, not something slimming like a carrot ), but that's about it.

And yum yum, Japanese sweet potatoes are so good. <3 The really nummy ones are sweet enough on their own to eat as is. :3 I love it when my mom buys them. I've made daigaku imo with several different kinds of sweet potatoes, and none of them were quite as tasty as the times I used actual Japanese sweet potatoes!
Old 2012-02-14, 08:01   Link #5358
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Short and quick:
Should I first watch Chaos;Head or Guilty Crown? :P

I'm slow and lazy with my anime watching. I want to watch the more exciting one first.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 08:31   Link #5359
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I haven't watched it but I've heard that Chaos;Head is a very bad adaptation which is evident even to non VN players (in contrast to Steins;Gate) but I am watching Guilty Crown and I can say that it's only worth watching for it's impressive production values and little else. It is exciting if you turn your brain off a bit but it hasn't finished airing so it'll be a while if you still want to watch Chaos;Head. I'd go with Chaos;Head first.
Old 2012-02-14, 12:06   Link #5360
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I actually just watched Chaos;Head a week ago and will definitely agree completely with the above that it is a bad adaptation and this is clear to someone who has not played the VN. There's some pretty huge plot points left totally unexplained and development for many of the characters is seriously rushed. (The stories for some of the girls were so poorly resolved that I think they'd have been better off not even including them at all. I also ended up really hating the female lead and I get the feeling that I wasn't supposed to because there was more to her story that they either didn't tell or got wrong.)

I know nothing about Guilty Crown but I don't think Chaos;Head should be a high priority.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious