AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 22:49   Link #141
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
With a 7.62mm rifle, is there really a pressing need for higher automatic fire? My understanding was that even with M16's/M4's they ussually went single shot in most situations. A 7.62 would be even harder to control.
try firing the FN FAL and original M14 in FULL AUTO if you want to experience high intensity automatic fire with a 7.62x51. i did, and boy it hurts like hell...
for the g3, it really is slow firing for me... but i think its for the best... lest the gun becomes like the FAL...
Old 2010-12-30, 01:20   Link #142
Lost Cause

Actually the point I was getting at was by using said .30 caliber rifles that they would require less bullets on target to get the desired effect. I.E. Less shots to stop the threat or humanely take game!
Wouldn't one of the old bolt action rifles of WW1 or WW2 be just as effective as one of these hi-capacity wonder guns putting a gob of lead out?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 16:32   Link #143
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

A few pics from the AUSA'10 convention (pass if uninterested by military tech):
Spoiler:

Excellent for COD:BO enthusiasts, I say.

Oh, and a happy new year to y'all.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-01-01 at 06:39.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 16:34   Link #144
Asuras
Dictadere~!

That. Is. Win. Very.
Old 2011-01-01, 00:55   Link #145
Lost Cause

Love the selector markings! @justinstrife ought to see that one!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-01, 05:38   Link #146
ZeKeR
Superbad

people.... WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO THE STANAG?!?!
Spoiler for 60 round mag:
Old 2011-01-01, 06:31   Link #147
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The SureFire MAG5-50 are suspected to be the industry's answer to the infantry automatic rifle (IAR) competition (a type of automatic gun primarily championed by the UMSC and supposed to bridge the gap between LMGs and automatic rifles) and an alternative to the large drum mags like the Beta CMAG. I don't think this is for civvies but more for weapons like the M27. I would however have severe concerns about both weight and solidity - you don't want to bash the extremity of the MAG5 on a wall while maneuvering around - that'd be the mother of all jams (imagine 50-50 rounds stuck in a deformed mag? in the middle of a firefight?) and a predicament with deadly consequences if in the middle of a battlefield.

But BTW, that's just the 60-round version. Meet the 100-round version.

Spoiler:

Besides...it must be extremely awkward to shoot from a prone position with such a large mag. Drums should be less embarrassing, though.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:47   Link #148
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
The SureFire MAG5-50 are suspected to be the industry's answer to the infantry automatic rifle (IAR) competition (a type of automatic gun primarily championed by the UMSC and supposed to bridge the gap between LMGs and automatic rifles) and an alternative to the large drum mags like the Beta CMAG. I don't think this is for civvies but more for weapons like the M27. I would however have severe concerns about both weight and solidity - you don't want to bash the extremity of the MAG5 on a wall while maneuvering around - that'd be the mother of all jams (imagine 50-50 rounds stuck in a deformed mag? in the middle of a firefight?) and a predicament with deadly consequences if in the middle of a battlefield.

But BTW, that's just the 60-round version. Meet the 100-round version.

Spoiler:

Besides...it must be extremely awkward to shoot from a prone position with such a large mag. Drums should be less embarrassing, though.
i pray to god that this will NOT be issued anywhere else... PLEASE.
Old 2011-01-01, 23:07   Link #149
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...how would you fire that thing prone?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:45   Link #150
Lost Cause

I have to ask: "What the Hell were they thinking"! I mean the Beta may mentioned by Renegade334 works very well, adds no length vertically to the rifle, but are rather bulky. That and sustained fire of that magnitude might MELT the gas tube!
Sort of reminds me of the stats late in the Vietnam war; "1,000,000,000 rounds per KIA"...@~@! Time for a more effective bullet or more training in accurate shooting!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-02, 14:10   Link #151
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Or maybe a chopped-down jungle.
Old 2011-01-02, 14:17   Link #152
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Or maybe a chopped-down jungle.
Heh, thats what DDT and Agent Orange was for. Although in the movie Predator, Jesse Ventura's mini-gun did a pretty good job of chopping things down!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-02, 14:19   Link #153
Asuras
Dictadere~!

And napalm.
Old 2011-01-02, 14:35   Link #154
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
And napalm.
lol! Everytime I hear napalm I always think of Robert Duvall in 'Apocalypse Now'! But that was some pretty serious stuff, even back in WW2!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-02, 14:55   Link #155
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Amusingly enough, the US Army did consider the use of handheld miniguns but trashcanned the idea when they reviewed the recoil stats - it was simply impossible to handle, even with the Minigun's 5.56mm variant, the XM214 (which some people currently wish to resurrect, with a souped-up 12,000rpm ROF, as an APC-mounted CIWS). The weapon used in Predator fired blanks and few people could truly use it, Schwarzenegger included.

As for the SureFire mag, I can more or less understand where it comes from, as the role of a machine gun is to not only deliver heavy suppressive fire on an enemy emplacement, but also keep the said enemy's head(s) down while allied troops move forward to secure better positions. The M27 IAR is supposed to fulfill that role, though with a loaded weight below that of a full-fledged LMG, which would not only slow down the shooter but also preclude him from entering a building for room clearing. The other (theoretical) advantage is that the shooter doesn't have to use ammo belts but can directly use ammo drums or STANAG mags...which regular riflemen already transport and thus can supply him with in case he runs out.

The SureFire is merely an attempt to bring high-capacity mags to the M27 and thus reduce the amount of times the shooter has to interrupt his own volume of fire and reload. The big problems I see are that there might be new jamming issues with that "bottleneck" area right beneath the mag well's lip, the impossibility to fire prone, less maneuverability (weight and size) and the fact that if you make the mistake of bashing the floor plate on a nearby wall or doorframe while moving around, the mag could bend and make you a "firepower kill". And of course the fact that this could incite shooters to keep firing longer bursts and thus cause barrel overheat...dangerously reducing weapon lifespan (a regular, non-SF-customized M4's barrel will glow red hot after twelve, fifteen 30r mags of continuous fire...before drooping like a vulgar liquorice stick - HB barrels can last longer...but then again, what kind of idiot soldier would fire the contents of 15 mags in full auto one after the other?).

It could be popular with civvies who don't like reloading their mags but the main client I see here is the Army, though I don't think this was commissioned by any components of the joint US Armed Forces. It should also be mentioned that the Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) is a completely novel concept, a makeshift/theoretical bridge between LMGs and assault rifles - we have yet to see whether it floats its own boat or fails to become a real potent gamechanger. Right now it remains paper stuff.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-01-02 at 15:09.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 19:30   Link #156
Lost Cause

The "bottleneck" naming potential you spoke of sort of reminds how my husband TRASHED every Checkmate made magazine for the M-9 that the Govt. bought on a low bid because "they were just as good as the OEM magazines". Yet these same magazines jammed in the sand all the time, right were the 2 columns came together!
I say let the guys and gals on the ground and in the fight decide. But that would mAke too much sense now wouldn't it?!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-03, 00:36   Link #157
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
The "bottleneck" naming potential you spoke of sort of reminds how my husband TRASHED every Checkmate made magazine for the M-9 that the Govt. bought on a low bid because "they were just as good as the OEM magazines". Yet these same magazines jammed in the sand all the time, right were the 2 columns came together!
I say let the guys and gals on the ground and in the fight decide. But that would mAke too much sense now wouldn't it?!
well it depends tho...

this summer, ima gonna ask my uncle to let me face HK's G36 and its variants along with thar 416 and 17.

oh is there such a combo as Aimpoint comp M2 with EOTech's holo sight in the front? the only sights i ever did get to look was Bushnell, Elcan and Trijicon (which is also my fav) ACOG systems... SUSAT was... just... gross
Old 2011-01-03, 04:32   Link #158
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Sort of reminds me of the stats late in the Vietnam war; "1,000,000,000 rounds per KIA"...@~@! Time for a more effective bullet or more training in accurate shooting!
Get some! Get some! Get some!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 07:53   Link #159
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Get some! Get some! Get some!
LOL! Somebody watched 'Full Metal Jacket' last night!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-01-04, 17:42   Link #160
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

This thread make me wish I didn't live in the N.Ireland =[

When I was in Florida a few years back I couldn't pull myself away from an indoor range close to our hotel and I think I blew a good chunk of my cash sampling the "menu".

I'd love to be able to put together a Costa AR build =/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, guns