AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-04, 17:01   Link #1
MamoruUsagi

Anyone have this happen to their e-mail address?

For about a year, someone has been using my old e-mail address to regiser for accounts on message boards, chat sites places to contact people and all these places I haven't heard of. I kept getting all these messages about all theswe usernames on at least ten different websites that keep joining this sites using my e-mail address. How do I figure out who keeps doing this? They sign up for sites to chat with people, add people to contact lists, message boards and all sorts of stuff. Why have they been doing this for over a year? Can I find out who they are and get them to stop registering accounts in my e-mail address on chat websites. It's so weird, it's my old e-mail address anyway. Well, at least it's better then the time a different e-mail address of mine was used by someone to send viruses and weird messages to people. I knew that that was a virus type of thing, it was sending hundreds of e-mails containing viruses and weird messages to hundreds of people I didn't know using my e-mail. Eventually that stopped, but at least I knew what that was. Howevever, this thing isn't about a virus, this time it's just really random.
MamoruUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 17:50   Link #2
jedinat

Just stop using the account. And don't give your email address out as freely in the future.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 17:58   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Haven't you already posted a similar question before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
A couple years ago, somehow, my e-mail address was used to send viruses, advertisements and weird messages to hundreds of e-mail addresses. There was a forum, and my e-mail address was used to send a really weird message, with lots of subject titles, the message contained really weird text and a virus as an attachment, I got a lot of bounced back e-mails, saying the message was sent without the virus, meaning the weird message was sent to hundreds of e-mail addresses. It was sent to hundreds of people on various forums as well as companies and users in different countries and hundreds of people. There were so many e-mails with weird headings and messages, sent from my e-mail address, trying to send viruses, so it appeared like my e-mail address was spamming lots of e-mail addresses with weird messages. So, it might be that someone on a message board saw someone with this username and in order to make them not use the screename again, they took the user name and posted all sorts of messages. Anyone ever have the same thing where their e-mail address was used to send viruses, spam and weird messages to hundreds of e-mail addresses?
And thread being moved to Tech Support forum, along with the other similar threads you started concerning probelms you are having with virus on your PC.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 19:11   Link #4
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
FHow do I figure out who keeps doing this?
You probably can't ... at least not without a lot of work (which would be a waste of time, JMFO).

Close the email account so that it doesn't damage your reputation (if that's important or relevant) and use a different email account, but for Gods sake, close (or delete it if you can) the email account that has been infiltrated by this stranger. You can't get it back. It's dead Jim.

Email accounts are a dime-a-dozen. It sounds like you have another one that you're using now. As jedinat suggests below, don't give out your email addy so freely or use disposable email accounts.

Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 14:49   Link #5
MamoruUsagi

This was actually a different problem from before. I wasn't sure which forum to put it in, since this wasn't really about pcs. The last thing I had mentioned about the e-mail addresses took place a long time ago. This is a different issue, I brought up the past issue and that is why it probably seemed similar. Thank you for moving it, sorry for creating another thread, this was about a different topic, it seemed similar because I brought up something from before I mentioned, but this was different. Sorry.
MamoruUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 01:32   Link #6
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

To address the issue that xris posts about, it's also entirely possible that someone ELSE has your e-mail address and THEY got infected. Microsoft products like Outlook Express and Internet Explorer are extremely popular entry vectors as well as sources of information on where to try spreading to next. Newer viruses now scrape the user's IE cache and OE address books as well as the user's files for addresses not only to send to, but in many cases nowadays, to send FROM.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote