AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 21:57   Link #101
FateAnomaly

The first episode is pretty funny. Definitely worth looking out for.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:01   Link #102
LusterFlare
Lost.

Pretty enjoyable thus far, even though I probably missed half of the references.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:23   Link #103
Clarste
Human

Surprisingly, I actually liked this episode. Good use of parody and meta-humor, although not exactly groundbreaking. I foresee two problems though:

1) The Tsundere character is both joked about as being a tsundere and goes through the motions of tsundere-style slapstick comedy. You can't have your cake and eat it too: you either make fun of something or you use it. Doing both at the same time just waters it down. To a lesser extent this applies to all their archetypes.

2) The end of the episode leaned dangerously to serious character development. That should absolutely not happen in this series. While it's true that comedy can endear us to characters in a way that makes their serious moments more touching, this is not that kind of comedy. It will not be able to handle character development in a way that makes us care, and any "serious" moments will be painful to watch.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:32   Link #104
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It will not be able to handle character development in a way that makes us care, and any "serious" moments will be painful to watch.
I know that feeling well. After six months of a whirlwind of self-reflecting brought about by a series that shall not be named but instead heavily alluded to as I stroke my chin and say "Hmm..." in a knowing tone, I'd just be content to have a series that knows that no fourth wall means no fourth wall.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:35   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Surprisingly, I actually liked this episode. Good use of parody and meta-humor, although not exactly groundbreaking. I foresee two problems though:

1) The Tsundere character is both joked about as being a tsundere and goes through the motions of tsundere-style slapstick comedy. You can't have your cake and eat it too: you either make fun of something or you use it. Doing both at the same time just waters it down. To a lesser extent this applies to all their archetypes.

2) The end of the episode leaned dangerously to serious character development. That should absolutely not happen in this series. While it's true that comedy can endear us to characters in a way that makes their serious moments more touching, this is not that kind of comedy. It will not be able to handle character development in a way that makes us care, and any "serious" moments will be painful to watch.
Sensible points, but I'm not sure.

(1) I think that maybe the incredible self-referentiality and fourth-wall-destruction of this show make it possible to both be and satirize the archetypes. At least, I expect they will keep trying to do that.

(2) I actually loved the more serious emotion of the last part. I'd like to see them keep it up, if they can. Based on one episode, I see this as a show that slips easily among many levels of meaning, so I have hopes that they can pull it off. I find myself caring for the characters, anyway.
______

As for the references, this is a Kadokawa property and I think all or almost all the shows it makes reference to are also Kadokawa shows -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, one aspect of the show is cross-promotion with those other shows: promoting them and also riding their coattails.

But as with Lucky Star or even Hayate, I don't get all the references, but I still find most of them funny.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:46   Link #106
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
The first episode was amusing, but a lot of it is going to dependent on the next episode or two. Still I definitely love the president herself.

Last edited by Tatiana Razajev; 2009-10-05 at 01:04.
Tatiana Razajev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:49   Link #107
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Sensible points, but I'm not sure.

(1) I think that maybe the incredible self-referentiality and fourth-wall-destruction of this show make it possible to both be and satirize the archetypes. At least, I expect they will keep trying to do that.
I'm not saying that they can't be the archetypes, indeed they have to be. The problem is when they use the archetypes straight for comedy purposes, immediately after making fun of them. Seeing her beat him up for calling her a tsundere is funny in an ironic way, but seeing her beat him up afterwards for a different thing undermines that. I'm not saying this was a big problem in this episode, but I'm afraid of them falling back on it too much in the future.

Quote:
(2) I actually loved the more serious emotion of the last part. I'd like to see them keep it up, if they can. Based on one episode, I see this as a show that slips easily among many levels of meaning, so I have hopes that they can pull it off. I find myself caring for the characters, anyway.
Well, I just disagree I guess.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:55   Link #108
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Still I definitely the president herself.
Missing verb... so many possibilities... XD

Council prez is probably my favorite character so far. Perverse as it may sound, it's so much fun to watch her get teased...

... pettanko.
Old 2009-10-04, 22:57   Link #109
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
USO DA! wtfs with this anime?! i cant decide if its awesome or gross WAHAHAHA

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
gigaloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 23:15   Link #110
uis

Ha ha ha i wonder how many know president name after watching ep1...

Because Chizuru always call her Aka-chan and everyone call her prez lol...

Anyway yeah i like DEEN adaption soo far even it missing some good part in light novel and manga.
*Oh well this different media after all*

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 00:30   Link #111
Jze0
Hmmm...

Watched the first episode and so far I like it very much. I don't know how this show is going to carry on in the future but I think I'll stick around and see what happens next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uis View Post
Ha ha ha i wonder how many know president name after watching ep1...
Yeah... now that you mention it I don't remember what her name was... did they even mention it any where in the episode?
Quote:
Anyway yeah i like DEEN adaption soo far even it missing some good part in light novel and manga.
*Oh well this different media after all*
Hahaha funny...
Old 2009-10-05, 00:32   Link #112
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, the animation is totally crap, but man, I was practically laughing the entire time. I had low expectations on this one, but I was pleasantly surprised at the first episode. Pettanko and the anime/novel having the girls with different reactions to the same comment were a riot.

Well, at least its references aren't as obscure as Lucky Star or even Hayate. I think I got all of the big ones, excepting the guy who Sugisaki is supposed to have a love affair with in order to attract more female fans. I know of kuroshitshuji, but I dunno what's the next big hit after that.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 00:38   Link #113
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
Yeah... now that you mention it I don't remember what her name was... did they even mention it any where in the episode?
They did in her introduction... Sakurano Kurimu. Well, at least Sakurano isn't hard to remember (sakura + no).

Just Aka-chan or Kaichou/Prez might be more practical, though. I usually end up calling characters what the other characters call them. XD
Old 2009-10-05, 00:48   Link #114
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. The HATE. The UTTER HATE for this series is on a shocking level for me. Maybe they don't like such direct jabs at their favorite anime or something, but wow. Almost every anime blog and reviewers out there slam this show more than Queen's Blade and that's saying something.

But yeah, the first episode was utterly hilarious and it feels like the last season's non-stop comedy in GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class. Damn, now I wish someone, just SOMEONE would finish up GA so I don't get swamped by all the great comedies this season so far.

Also, I always thought Studio Deen was primed for a comedy like this one. Especially after all the funny antics in some Higurashi episodes.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 01:05   Link #115
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Missing verb... so many possibilities... XD
Darn it, I hate it when I make mistakes like that. Just for the record, I'm quite fond of Student Council President Sakurano Kurimu.

In fact, I may as well make her the very first character from an Autumn 09 anime I use as an avatar of her. Luck for me, I already have like plenty of her made to choose from.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:07   Link #116
Chrono Helix

Do they call her Aka-chan as in baby or red? Neither seems to fit her.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:14   Link #117
Jze0
Hmmm...

At this point I like the whole female cast so... heres hoping for the harem ending.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:17   Link #118
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Do they call her Aka-chan as in baby or red? Neither seems to fit her.
くりむ : Kurimu -> Kurimuzon (Crimson) -> Aka (red) + chan -> baby.

鍵 : Ken -> Kagi (kanji reading) -> Key + kun.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:25   Link #119
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
くりむ : Kurimu -> Kurimuzon (Crimson) -> Aka (red) + chan -> baby.

鍵 : Ken -> Kagi (kanji reading) -> Key + kun.
Ahh, so that's where Chizuru gets her nicknames. Thanks for the explanation.

"Aka-chan" is quite apt, innit?
Old 2009-10-05, 03:02   Link #120
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

No wonder I couldn't recognize any (female) seiyuu: they're all debutants or semi-debutants. They all did well, but Honda Mariko (Kurimo) stood up the most for me, though she was also the one with more lines. I also found Chizuru's VA to have some shades of both Horie Yui and Tanaka Rie. It's always interesting when they give the go to a whole set of new seiyuu, especially in a series like this which is all about talking hence you can defintely see their abilities.

About the show, I spent the whole first half in rewatching and counting the referenced series, but then I got tired and let it go in the second half as they were too many . But interesting, clearly not everyone's cup of tea because basically it is all talking-talking-talking, surprisingly even more talking than in GA - Geijutsuka where the walls of sentences were at times interrupted by some kind of visual representations (as in what their assignments were for that day). It'd be useless to mention all the references, so I'll just mention my 3 favourites: 1) Rena's "uso da!" 2)- We need a new title [writes Suzumiya].. How do you spell Yuuutsu? - You can't! - Everyone will watch that if that's our title. 3) The Lucky Star opening screen with the same catchphrases, and the "fake" stamp.
Best scene: pettanko, by miles.

So far, my favourite episode 1 among the ones I watched with medium/low expectations.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-10-05 at 05:51.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, parody, school life, shounen, student council