AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-14, 10:31   Link #1201
davie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I think that's just sweat actually... He had it for almost the entire conversation.
Just reread the chapter and it does look like tears but yet on the next panel, Ed looks fine.
Old 2009-12-14, 11:03   Link #1202
GaimeGuy

Most of it is sweat, but you can see a single tear welling up in his eye near his nose bridge. at least, it looks like it to me.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 13:51   Link #1203
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

actually, that unit is called a Shade in WC3.. A wraith is a light air unit from Starcraft.

anywho, Roy loses his eyes? dang. that sucks for him. I like how everything everyone lost had a reason, as explained by Father this ep. can't wait to see it animated.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 16:57   Link #1204
Flask
Homunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
Wrath, not Wraith. Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins, essentially an archaic term for anger, but also with a subtext of vengeance. A wraith is an apparition or ghost in the Scottish dialect. Also, a scouting unit for the undead in Warcraft III
Sorry, twas late when I typed that up.

In one of the last chapters, Olivier had a chance to take the throne and she says something about how it's an easy place to be sniped.

I don't think she's going to assume the position of being Fuhrer anymore, but it's hard to say.

"Does being blind prevent him from being the Fuhrer?" Yeah, if definitely can. Hiromu Arakawa has created something truly impressive, masterfully and artistically weaving this manga together. There's a saying "the blind leading the blind" there's no positive connotations there.

Izumi. Edward. Alphonse. Hohenheim. Roy. They've all paid a toll to Truth. However, they don't stop there, Edward and Alphonse seek to get their bodies back.

There are many factors here. Ed wants to get Al's body back. For Alphonse arguably has lost the most, and as such has paid a greater price to Truth. Arguably he should also have grasped the most knowledge from Truth. There's been no display of this however.

On the other side, Alphonse questions "why is it that there's one outcome or the other? Save the world, or get my body back. Why can't I save the world AND get my body back?"

If Alphonse and Ed are seeking to be returned to normal and get back their toll from the Truth, then Izumi, Hohenheim, and Roy should get their tolls back as well.

Homunculus/Father (or maybe it was Pride, I don't have the manga in front of me) mentions something along the lines of how they've all lost something relative to what they want. Something that renders their dream or desire "impossible." Hohenheim's loss is a tricky subject so I'm not touching that topic with a ten-foot pole.

However we've seen throughout the Manga how that's not true. Despite it all, Ed and Al press onward and not only that but they also inspire others to also stand up on their own.

To leave Roy blind, Izumi's organs twisted, Alphonse in a suit of armor, and/or Hohenheim immortal would be an injustice against all of them.

The only thing that has remained absolute and impossible is reviving the dead.

The story's also very much about pressing onwards regardless of how much you've lost, it's true. But if that was the final wrap-up, then the series would get a cliffhanger ending with an ambigious resolution encouraging the audience, us, to struggle onwards ourselves.

I don't see that sort of ending to FMA. Hiromu Arakawa has been working at this a long time and the characters are all held dear. No one's going to be swept or left behind. I believe that there will be a resolution here for everyone.

Point in this fact, Hohenheim hasn't attempted to destroy anything. He's never made a swing or a clash or anything, merely attempting to convince Homunculus/Father the error of his ways. Why?

Hohenheim's been around a long time, he's witnessed hardships for years and has tried very hard to make everything meaningful. It'd be a great disservice to look at Roy and say "Too bad, can't help you." No? Would it not unravel everything?

The closing of a series or book is always tricky, because individual people will find individual meaning. This is Arakawa's story. Her story to tell. It's ultimately her choice. This is the point in time when making a conclusion is the most difficult. Friends, family, fans.. this is when the things they say really influence the mental state of the artist. And her mental state will ultimately decide the conclusion.

In closing, All I'd like to say is I support Arakawa with whatever ending she decides upon. Doesn't mean I'll stop speculating and searching for meaning within the things she's already given us. After all, how can I possibly remain passive when reading Fullmetal Alchemist?
Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 18:12   Link #1205
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flask View Post
Sorry, twas late when I typed that up.

In one of the last chapters, Olivier had a chance to take the throne and she says something about how it's an easy place to be sniped.

I don't think she's going to assume the position of being Fuhrer anymore, but it's hard to say.
Lol please. Do you honestly think something as insignificant as that would end her ambition? All she has to do is replace the window around the throne with a wall.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 06:27   Link #1206
Battler-kun

Roy deserved it.
I don't like him at all.
He is only big talk, but so far has done nothing special.
Not to forget his fighting abilities only rely on *snap you burn*.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 08:36   Link #1207
Vicious108

A coup d'état and defeating two nearly-immortal monsters is nothing special?
Old 2009-12-15, 12:02   Link #1208
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
A coup d'état and defeating two nearly-immortal monsters is nothing special?
I know. I've always wondered why the Roy hate... Makes no sense. I find him one of the most enjoyable characters in the series to watch, and one of the few that you can pretty much guarantee that if you're seeing him, something's happening. No fluff there...

On topic, there's a scanlation up, and it looks like Roy was just "along for the ride", like I suggested previously. I knew they couldn't make him perform human transmutation; the only thing he did was open the Gate, which is probably automatic if you're an alchemist. The transmutation that was done was Pride, using Goldtooth's knowledge (as many suggested) to transmute Goldtooth. It also looks as if Pride lost something in the process, too. Doesn't look like he healed up that transmutation mark on his cheek. Maybe his Stone lost its juice?

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-12-15 at 12:32.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 14:21   Link #1209
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
On topic, there's a scanlation up, and it looks like Roy was just "along for the ride", like I suggested previously. I knew they couldn't make him perform human transmutation; the only thing he did was open the Gate, which is probably automatic if you're an alchemist. The transmutation that was done was Pride, using Goldtooth's knowledge (as many suggested) to transmute Goldtooth. It also looks as if Pride lost something in the process, too. Doesn't look like he healed up that transmutation mark on his cheek. Maybe his Stone lost its juice?
The scanlation said that Pride had assimiliated 'an alchemist' with human trans knowledge; I'd guessed assimilated meant eaten, in the same way as Kimberly, meaning that Kimberly provided the knowledge, and Goldtooth just the human material. Not much difference, just getting the most out of every sacrificed minion. Don't think Father will bother keeping Pride alive, but Wrath might.

Noticed the mark on Pride's cheek; as the oldest Homunculus he must have run down his Stone over the years, so he might be easy enough for a Hawkeye-guided flame attack to finish (I can really see that idea happening). On the other side, Father might not be able to perform his ritual if he turns off Western Alchemy, so the good guys are in with a chance. He has to use that ability at some point though, so Al can finally pull out some Renkajutsu.

Speaking of Al, he was incredible this chapter. The theme of giving up desires has surfaced before, with Ed and Mei rejecting the Philosophers Stone, but never so dramatically as this.

Blind Roy...I can just him looking out over a changed Central, Hawkeye trying to describe it to him, but Roy solemnly telling her that he saw it often enough in his dreams to remember.

Every month, the chapters get more anticipatable...
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 19:27   Link #1210
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
Roy deserved it.
I don't like him at all.
He is only big talk, but so far has done nothing special.
Not to forget his fighting abilities only rely on *snap you burn*.
Roy probably is one of the characters with the strongest will in the entire series. He's one of the most insanely powerful alchemists with good alchemic knowledge, why else would Father have chosen him as the fifth sacrifice? As Endless Twilight said he freaking led a coup d'éta and he's the only human character to destroy not only one but two Homunculi with no assistance. I personally find his personality, ideals, goals in life and relationships with other characters to be fascinating.

You don't have to like Roy but saying that 'he has done nothing special' is too much, man.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but defend my all-time favourite manga character.

I'll get back on topic now.

Does anyone have any idea on what the heck Father's planning to do with the five sacrifices? Since they're, well, 'sacrifices', he's obviously gonna kill them, but what for? Has there been any hints on his plan previously, or is it a complete mystery for us?
Old 2009-12-15, 20:16   Link #1211
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on what the heck Father's planning to do with the five sacrifices? Since they're, well, 'sacrifices', he's obviously gonna kill them, but what for? Has there been any hints on his plan previously, or is it a complete mystery for us?
Marcoh once speculated that they were building a giant transmutation circle around the country to create a philosopher's stone. Envy told him that albeit on the right track, he was wrong. So the country-wide transmutation circle is definitely for something other than creating a stone.

So yeah, what else could it be for?

The answer might be in chapter 96, where Father told Hohenheim that what he desires is to become a perfect being. The five sacrifices might be what he needs to accomplish that.

But yeah, it's definitely one of the biggest questions in the FMA story, and hopefully we'll finally know what it's all about next chapter.

Another question/doubt I've always had in mind when it comes to FMA was what is the true nature of Amestris' alchemy?

Scar's brother said "There's something strange about this country's alchemy.

Ling also said "There's something strange about this country."

Envy told Ed and Al when they couldn't use alchemy "Really, when it comes to these lower life forms... As soon as they obtain great power, they become delighted and over-eager. They continue using it without even knowing what it is!"

And then Marcoh explained in chapter 67 how alchemy worked, that it was based on the fluctuations of the Earth's crust, but then May said "Rather than the fluctuations of the Earth's crust, this power that flows under our feet... It feels like a great number of people are squirming around."

I mean all of that sounds pretty mysterious and ominous, no?

Could it simply be that Father himself is the source of Amestris' alchemy? >_> That certainly would explain why he can turn it on and off at his whim, lol.
Old 2009-12-15, 20:21   Link #1212
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Could it simply be that Father himself is the source of Amestris' alchemy? >_> That certainly would explain why he can turn it on and off at his whim, lol.
That's actually what me and my friend thought up of... But then, if they manage to destroy Father, would that mean that the alchemists of Amestris can no longer use alchemy?
Old 2009-12-15, 20:29   Link #1213
Vicious108

Quote:
That's actually what me and my friend thought up of... But then, if they manage to destroy Father, would that mean that the alchemists of Amestris can no longer use alchemy?
Yeah I've thought about that as well, and if true I can just see Father, when about to be defeated, going "If you kill me that will be the end of your beloved alchemy!" and Ed and the rest going "Well we're willing to sacrifice alchemy for world peace! Equivalent exchange, bitch!"
Old 2009-12-15, 20:33   Link #1214
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Yeah I've thought about that as well, and if true I can just see Father, when about to be defeated, going "If you kill me that will be the end of your beloved alchemy!" and Ed and the rest going "Well we're willing to sacrifice alchemy for world peace! Equivalent exchange, bitch!"
That would be very fitting
Then they'd probably be able to learn Rentanjutsu, because, well, it can function without whatever influence Father has over Western alchemy. So in the end, they probably won't lose all that much.
Old 2009-12-15, 20:41   Link #1215
Vicious108

Quote:
That would be very fitting
Then they'd probably be able to learn Rentanjutsu, because, well, it can function without whatever influence Father has over Western alchemy. So in the end, they probably won't lose all that much.
True that. And boy would May be one busy teacher.

Or they could just study it directly from Scar's arm, though I don't think he would like that idea very much, lol.
Old 2009-12-15, 20:48   Link #1216
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
True that. And boy would May be one busy teacher.

Or they could just study it directly from Scar's arm, though I don't think he would like that idea very much, lol.
Yeah, good point^^

Now that you mention him I wonder what will become of Scar and other Ishvalans by the end of the series. I guess a lot of it depends on what happens with Amestris' leadership.
Old 2009-12-15, 20:53   Link #1217
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think we were actually talking about the alchemy and father relationship a few pages back and that seemed to be what we concluded. Take down Father and Ameristrian alchemists are going to have a tougher time of it. And I think what Envy meant was explained in one of the recent episodes; they aren't using the country to create the stone but created the country to create the stone.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 20:53   Link #1218
Vicious108

Quote:
Yeah, good point^^

Now that you mention him I wonder what will become of Scar and other Ishvalans by the end of the series. I guess a lot of it depends on what happens with Amestris' leadership.
Indeed. Well if Mustang does become Fuhrer and the country becomes a democracy, then naturally the Ishvalans will finally be acknowledged and accepted again.

As for Scar, no matter what, he'd still have to be tried for all the murders he commited on his quest for revenge. Which is why I'm thinking he won't make it to the ending. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I think we were actually talking about the alchemy and father relationship a few pages back and that seemed to be what we concluded. Take down Father and Ameristrian alchemists are going to have a tougher time of it. And I think what Envy meant was explained in one of the recent episodes; they aren't using the country to create the stone but created the country to create the stone.
Nah, what they said there was "created the country to accomplish their goal", they never specified said goal as creating a stone.
Old 2009-12-15, 20:59   Link #1219
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
As for Scar, no matter what, he'd still have to be tried for all the murders he commited on his quest for revenge. Which is why I'm thinking he won't make it to the ending. >_>
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about his fight against Wrath... I'm not sure whether Scar would be the one to bring the guy down. I still hope Roy gets to kill Wrath, although now it's even more unlikely than ever. Bradley did so much nasty stuff to Roy that it just wouldn't be right if someone else got to finish him off.

Maybe Scar would be shot down by some hateful Amestrisian soldier if he does manage to survive Wrath. I dunno.
Old 2009-12-15, 21:53   Link #1220
Vicious108

Quote:
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about his fight against Wrath... I'm not sure whether Scar would be the one to bring the guy down. I still hope Roy gets to kill Wrath, although now it's even more unlikely than ever. Bradley did so much nasty stuff to Roy that it just wouldn't be right if someone else got to finish him off.

Maybe Scar would be shot down by some hateful Amestrisian soldier if he does manage to survive Wrath. I dunno.
Yeah Roy always seemed to be the ideal final opponent for Wrath, but it seems that we can't take those things for granted with Arakawa. We never got Scar vs Kimblee round 3 either.

And speaking of Roy vs Wrath, I really liked the symbolism alluding to that in Roy's ordeal against Envy. The man who desired to become a better Fuhrer than King Bradley, aka Wrath, almost killed an enemy solely to satisfy his own wrath, but in the end he was able to overcome it, proving himself better than Wrath itself and himself.

As for Scar being shot down by some hateful Amestrisian soldier, that would certainly be rather tragic, since it would show that the cycle of hatred and revenge is indeed endless. And it would be a pity for Scar, who's managed to become a much better man after his encounters with Winry and Miles.