AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 23:19   Link #461
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
I gave that copy to them for the showing. I hope everyone enjoyed it.
Thanks for doing that -- by he amount of people there, and seeing the vast majority of leave after the screening was an indication of the interest in 2199. I only wish that they ran the credits all the way through and the preview for Episode 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Was this screening approved by Sunrise?
Honestly, I don't know, Sam. Perhaps that's a question best asked of the FanimeCon staff?

Last edited by August138; 2012-05-27 at 23:33.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 04:04   Link #462
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Amazon jp states that it's All Region (Region Free).
Hence my original question. Not sure if that info can be trusted or not or if the Limited Edition Blu-Ray is also region free. It shouldn't be that dificult for anyone with the actual Blu-Ray to check it since that info is right there in the back cover, but hey...
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 04:44   Link #463
August138

Nothing on the back of the packaging that I'm aware of.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:02   Link #464
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
On the whole BD region issue, it's tried-and-true that PS3 games (which are BDs) are region-free between American and Japan, i.e. you can play JP games on a US PS3 and vice versa. Since PS2 games (which were in DVD format) shared the exact same region restrictions with normal movie DVDs, I believe it's safe to assume that the region restrictions for BD PS3 games also apply to normal BD movies. I don't see why they'd change it around.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:48   Link #465
macdawson

Saying that Blu-Rays are region free between America and Japan is not accurate. They are both in the same region. Region free applies to a disc that plays everywhere, that has no regional encoding. In the DVD world Japan was Region 2 and America was Region 1, if a DVD was region free it would play in both countries readers.

Hopefully Amazon's description is accurate and Yamato 2199's Blu-Rays are All-Region discs. Otherwise, saddly, i'm out.
Old 2012-05-28, 08:39   Link #466
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Saying that Blu-Rays are region free between America and Japan is not accurate. They are both in the same region.
That's exactly what I meant. There's no region-protection between the US and JP BDs for PS3 games, hence they're region-free between the two countries.

Since PS2 games, which were DVD format, shared the region protection of normal DVD movies, then BD region protections should be the same between normal BDs and PS3 games. Why make one kind of BD (PS3 games) one region-protection setting, and movie BDs a different setting?
Old 2012-05-28, 08:46   Link #467
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
That's exactly what I meant. There's no region-protection between the US and JP BDs for PS3 games, hence they're region-free between the two countries.

Since PS2 games, which were DVD format, shared the region protection of normal DVD movies, then BD region protections should be the same between normal BDs and PS3 games. Why make one kind of BD (PS3 games) one region-protection setting, and movie BDs a different setting?
Actually when referring to region coding on BDs, US and Japan are in Region A.

Region free implies across all regions (A, B, C). See explanation of "region free" by clicking on the link on this site.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:15   Link #468
August138

Anybody else here attend the YAMATO: 2199 screening at FanimeCon? If so, let's hear what you thought!
Old 2012-05-28, 12:14   Link #469
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was at a different convention over the weekend, so I knew nothing of it. Though we did use the Star Blazers Fleet Battle System rules at the convention. And showed off the new trailers to some people over a Blackberry/ via Youtube.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:00   Link #470
GundamFan0083

How was the response to the trailers Ithekro?
Was there a lot of interest?

I'm curious if Yamato still has that magic it did when we were kids.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:20   Link #471
August138

GundamFan0083, in a word: Yes.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:41   Link #472
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was interest to those we showed it to. Sometimes for different reasons. Some just for gaming ideas (the Gamilus barriers at Pluto) so with the "that looks really good", or "I remember...wait this is different"/ There was one that seemed kind of a dull reaction, but if I recall the person usually gives only dull reactions.

The Wave Motion Gun does get reactions still. Even though the quality and color was very good, the screen on a Blackberry is rather tiny.
Old 2012-05-28, 18:07   Link #473
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
GundamFan0083, in a word: Yes.
Well that's a relief.
The more gravitas it has the more likely for the whole series getting a redo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There was interest to those we showed it to. Sometimes for different reasons. Some just for gaming ideas (the Gamilus barriers at Pluto) so with the "that looks really good", or "I remember...wait this is different"/ There was one that seemed kind of a dull reaction, but if I recall the person usually gives only dull reactions.

The Wave Motion Gun does get reactions still. Even though the quality and color was very good, the screen on a Blackberry is rather tiny.
Still, sounds like there was some interest even on a tiny blackberry screen.
I hope that's a positive sign because, like all of you here I am sure, I would love to see an updated version of the White Comet/Comet Empire episodes/series.
Old 2012-05-28, 20:26   Link #474
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Actually when referring to region coding on BDs, US and Japan are in Region A.

Region free implies across all regions (A, B, C). See explanation of "region free" by clicking on the link on this site.
I know. >.> But as far as Japan and the US are concerned, there's no region-protection seperating their BDs. >.>
Old 2012-05-28, 22:33   Link #475
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Well that's a relief.
The more gravitas it has the more likely for the whole series getting a redo.
The whole series, all 26 episodes, has been in the planning stages for four years, and they were fully underway as a full-blown production from the get-go. The next film (Episodes 3-6) comes out at the end of June, the third film (Episodes 7-10) at the end of August, the fourth (Episodes 11-14) at the end of October, and so on.
Old 2012-05-29, 00:38   Link #476
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

My BD's arriving in a day or two.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:02   Link #477
macdawson

The scene with the Kirishima alongside the Yamato shows that scene was improved since the preview came out.
Old 2012-05-29, 16:51   Link #478
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Has Anton Kholodov seen his face (in blue) in motion, yet?

I do wonder how people will take things like that. As a general complaint I keep seeing is character designs (those that prefer 70's style character art) and that Dessler doesn't seem...right, to them. Variations on "too young", "looks like a kid" or "not manly enough" (though to be fair, Dessler wasn't that manly...at least at first. He looks like a blue skinned prince you might find in a early Disney film. Later I think they defined his chin more...as well as gave him the good scenes). I figure "It's Dessler. Let his act, then complain if he doesn't seem worthy of what we remember as one of the coolest (or at least unique) villians from the 1970s.

But they there was complaints about Schultz and Gantz not being blue skinning until an explaination was given that they are not from the same species as gamilus, but a servant race to the Empire.
Old 2012-05-29, 17:28   Link #479
macdawson

I find that to be one of the best aspects of this remake, besides the amazing animation. Instead of going the easy way and changing their skin color, like they did for the PS games, they embraced what is one of the most obvious errors/production snafoo of the original and gave that an explanation, wich is much harder to do.

Having just seen the 2nd episode (actually, what i saw was the movie edit of episodes 1 and 2) it's amazing that episode 2 condenses episodes 2 and 3 plus a few bit of 1 from the original, adds a few things and yet it doesn't seem rushed. They cut a lot of fluff from the original, stuck with the essencial and added a lot of new stuff. Couldn't help but smile at the sight of Kodai and Shima in Dr. Sado's office with their faces bruised while Kato's hand (wich hadn't been injured) is being wrapped by the nurse. You don't need to see some long scene of Kato slapping those two silly for stealing a plane, just the look they give one another and at Kato... XD priceless. And Kodai is in a piss poor mood when he boards the Yamato. He leaves the smiling Yuki hanging, hand held out, and just asks where Okita is. Yuki was pissed. XD But best of all is that Shima doesn't look like an incompetent kid who doesn't know how to do his job by forgetting to flip a switch. They need the ship in the air and he gets it there. Awesome pace, the episode seems a lot longer than it actually is with all this stuff but, as i said, no rushed scenes here, they just flow into one another. Spectacular.
Oh, and yes, that is Zentran the Gamilas are speaking. XDDD
Old 2012-05-29, 18:19   Link #480
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

BD arrived about an hour ago. Can't play it yet...but I have it. Discounts on amazon + shipping, cost 6,887 yen. Which according to the back of the disc is 87 yen more than what it would cost retail.

Odd that it does not have any indication of region coding at all on the back cover. Usually there would be a hexagon with a "A" in it of multiple hexagons with "A", "B", "C" in each one. This has no hexagons at all but is quite clearly a Blu-ray Disc.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato