AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-13, 12:29   Link #21
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani
I live in saint louis. we don't have public transit worth the name. there are a LOT of people who live in every US metro area driving around big useless SUV's and who drive less than 40 miles one way to go to work or school. there is nothing wrong with a trip of that distance on a scooter. and weather? just dress appropriately or carry a change. i know one person who rode in all winter on his vespa.
hahaha, that's horrible. Depending on where you live, that's the kind of vehicle you should drive.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 20:05   Link #22
Taydn
TBA

Send a message via AIM to Taydn
I started a thread like this b4 the dreaded animesuki restart lol
well I live in Ohio and the gas prices have not been to kind to us. The price just went up to 2.89 a gallon and we know that it is gonna get higher for the summer.

The U.S. has a abundance of gas stored up and we won't use it and I still don't understand why. With the cost of energy and gas prices rising and the fact that none of us have gotten a raise that goes over .10-.25 cents I wonder how are any of us going to enjoy the summer when we all have to drive to get anywhere fun.

Here are a few links that I thought you might find interesting... I sure did.

http://futures.fxstreet.com/Futures/...es&dia=1242006

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=7748&sid=1183

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp
Taydn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 20:09   Link #23
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
go live in a city like me
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 00:50   Link #24
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Something I don't get about the U.S. is why they don't have many 1.6L engines or diesel engines (and why diesel fuel isn't much cheaper than gasoline as it should be). Some of these cars can even beat hybrids. The U.S.-spec engines are higher displacement but not necessarily higher-refinement.
I was actually looking up diesel (still toying with the idea of biodiesel) and I found that in the US, diesel is cheaper than gasoline but it's highly taxed, at which point it becomes more expensive.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 08:57   Link #25
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Here's some more gas price stats. But this is good fuel milages per cars ranging from compact to sports. This comparison is based on price to milages. And these ar e comparisons of 2006 models.

Here's the CNN article about it. Well more like just the plain ol fact.

If you're too lazy to go to the link, here's the facts.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taydn
I started a thread like this b4 the dreaded animesuki restart lol
well I live in Ohio and the gas prices have not been to kind to us. The price just went up to 2.89 a gallon and we know that it is gonna get higher for the summer.

The U.S. has a abundance of gas stored up and we won't use it and I still don't understand why. With the cost of energy and gas prices rising and the fact that none of us have gotten a raise that goes over .10-.25 cents I wonder how are any of us going to enjoy the summer when we all have to drive to get anywhere fun.

Here are a few links that I thought you might find interesting... I sure did.

http://futures.fxstreet.com/Futures/...es&dia=1242006

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=7748&sid=1183

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp
1st Article-
Amazing, eh? The USA will have to compete with upcoming world power China for perto, since they're on a revolution from pure communism to lesser value of it. Now what was that satistics, The USA uses 70% of the world's oil while taking only 5% of its land, (and i hope this is correct).

Now about it stating that the Gas price may be around $2.65 around summer time, I am hoping that reach that destination, but I doubt it. Whoo, a long page to read.

2nd Article-
I kinda wonder why people complain so much about high gas prices. The economy isn't a perfect ring of harmony, there will be bumps and nooks around every so often. The gas prices aren't about to drop much lower, if any, unless the first article's prediction is correct. "ahhh, I remember about 2 months ago when I could've gotten 4.5 gallons with 10 dallors."

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2006-04-23 at 09:14.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 09:37   Link #26
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
The gas price where I live as of April 10, 2006 are around the $2.58-$2.69 range, depending whether it's QuickTrip or Shell.
Pretty soon it'll be up to at least $4 a gallon for regular...I hear that many places in the US have already raised the gas price to about that much..so it's only a matter of time before it hits everywhere. But now they're starting to put out that new "corn" fuel in some gas stations...which would be a good thing but there have already been numerous problems with it...the main one being that people's cars don't start if you use that fuel and if i remember correctly the gas companies aren't taking responsibility for that (correct me if i'm wrong). Where i work this one guy that owns his own gas station comes in everyday so if anything changes and i ask him about it he'll always tell me what's going on.

Personally it doesn't bother me as much as i think it should mainly cause I do have a fairly small car with "decent" gas mileage (given i ease off the accelerator a bit) so whenever i fill up it never costs me as much as the person next to me filling up their SUV. I mean...i dont' like the fact that gas is getting so expensive...but for the most part there isn't much i can do except start taking public transportation...which I dont like cause i won't be working with my schedule. Getting Diesel and Hybrid cars are great ideas, especially now...but like Kamui mentioned, here in the US most people are just too obsessed with HP and never really look at the gas mileage and even if they do look at what mileage the car gets...their decision is then also affected by the way the car looks.
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 11:19   Link #27
tanuki

With the price per barrel of oil going higher and higher based on oil and gas market speculation driven by fear, uncertainty, and doubt...the situation won't improve until there is more political and production stability. Concerns over the situation with Iran's nuclear program has been one of the latest market destabalizing factors. Last year the big destablizing factor was the possible and actual effect of hurricane damage on offshore oil rigs and inland refining facilities along the US gulf coast. If there's any indication that the hurricane season this year will be as bad as last year, that will begin to affect futures trading before any actual damage occurs and consumers are going to feel the impact at the gas pump.

When multiple factors impact the futures market at one time or in rapid succession there's no chance for the price per barrel of oil to decline or for consumers to get some relief with lower prices at the pump. Speculation that supplies will become limited in the future generates a hording mentality and escalating market competition where everyone tries to hedge their bets by nailing down contracts for oil and gas while supplies are still adequate to fill those contracts. The price per barrel spirals upward, the price at the pump follows suit. This is sweet for the oil and gas industry if market speculation doesn't hold true...actual supplies remain consistent, more is paid per barrel of oil than was necessary, and they earn more profit than they otherwise would have. The flip side to this is if the worst market fears become a reality and supply is sharply decreased. At that point consumers would be relieved that they can still get the gas they need despite having to pay more for it. Its a sorry mess when people go to fill their vehicle and find one gas station after another with a sign out front stating "No Gas, Pumps Closed" and lines stretching for blocks at the few stations that still have gas to sell.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 12:57   Link #28
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Filled my car today and Unleaded 96 was 96.8p/litre.
When USA petrol prices reach those levels then come complaining to me about your high fuel prices!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
.....But now they're starting to put out that new "corn" fuel in some gas stations...which would be a good thing but there have already been numerous problems with it...the main one being that people's cars don't start if you use that fuel.......
When I briefly lived in Brazil (14-15 years ago) a lot of cars ran on alcohol and they had small petrol (gasoline) tanks to start and warm the engines so that the alcohol fuel would burn properly.
Old 2006-04-24, 00:31   Link #29
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Getting Diesel and Hybrid cars are great ideas, especially now...but like Kamui mentioned, here in the US most people are just too obsessed with HP and never really look at the gas mileage and even if they do look at what mileage the car gets...their decision is then also affected by the way the car looks.
I think it's going to start changing. People are finally realizing that gas isn't going to get any cheaper, and hopefully that will make those fuel-efficent cars more attractive to buyers.

I would still love to get a fully-electric car, but until then I'm just going to bike to work (weather permitting). Have to save up gas money to get to Anime Expo and Comic-Con somehow.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 02:44   Link #30
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
Filled my car today and Unleaded 96 was 96.8p/litre.
When USA petrol prices reach those levels then come complaining to me about your high fuel prices!
What's that convert to? It's $1.083/liter CND here right now (and I'm in an area that actually makes the stuff). Guess that converts to $3.612/gallon USD.

Thank god I don't drive
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 04:11   Link #31
dan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong
What's that convert to? It's $1.083/liter CND here right now (and I'm in an area that actually makes the stuff). Guess that converts to $3.612/gallon USD.
Heading towards twice what you are currently paying.
Old 2006-04-24, 04:31   Link #32
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
1st Article-
Amazing, eh? The USA will have to compete with upcoming world power China for perto, since they're on a revolution from pure communism to lesser value of it. Now what was that satistics, The USA uses 70% of the world's oil while taking only 5% of its land, (and i hope this is correct).
China has never been "pure communism" and it has been a controlled market social fascist state with private property for at least 20-30 years now. However, their increasing demand for oil will certainly put a further dent into the price as the suppliers will increase the prices as demand increases, and it will also be a major threat to the environment due to the gas emissions.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 07:58   Link #33
tanuki

Lowest price for gas around here was $2.72 per gallon yesterday for basic unleaded, with the highest I saw for the same being $2.89. Makes me think back fondly of getting a gallon of gas for about $1.50 a gallon in 2000.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 08:04   Link #34
dan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
China has never been "pure communism" and it has been a controlled market social fascist state with private property for at least 20-30 years now. However, their increasing demand for oil will certainly put a further dent into the price as the suppliers will increase the prices as demand increases, and it will also be a major threat to the environment due to the gas emissions.
The biggest environmental risk from china is that they will start using even more of their huge reserves of low grade coal.

It is probably better China uses oil and gas as long as we don't get dragged into the brewing regional oil/gas war between Japan/China/Vietnam/Philippians.
Old 2006-04-24, 08:16   Link #35
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

It's up to 3$ per gallon (depending on which area/type you're getting. I carpool so the expense is shared between my carpool buddy and I, but we also have motorcycles, and I get approx 50 miles per gallon on that.
My workplace is only about 15-20 miles from my house so that helps out too. I had hoped to someday get fit enough to bike it (regular bike) but surgeries and such threw that way off track.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 14:31   Link #36
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan88
It is probably better China uses oil and gas as long as we don't get dragged into the brewing regional oil/gas war between Japan/China/Vietnam/Philippians.
eh?????

Maybe China and Japan.

Philippines...are you referring to Spratlys, or potential natural gas reserves? As far as I know there is no hard scientific confirmation that Philippines will become an energy-producing behemoth in years to come. And for energy-consuming, our local economy is smaller than Singapore's. There may be lots of traffic, but that's because there are few roads.

Vietnam has been using Russian deep-drill technology so in my opinion its pretty much good to go. Besides China has been shopping around Africa and South America.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 15:27   Link #37
dan88

Quote:
Maybe China and Japan.
Philippines...are you referring to Spratlys, or potential natural gas reserves?.
Yes I am refering to Spratlys AND potential natural gas reserves.
Oil Companies Ink Landmark S. China Sea Agreement
http://www.china.org.cn/english/2005/Mar/122853.htm
"Oil companies of the Philippines, China and Vietnam signed a landmark tripartite agreement in Manila....
.....to conduct a joint seismic survey of oil potential in disputed areas of the South China Sea."

Quote:
As far as I know there is no hard scientific confirmation that Philippines will become an energy-producing behemoth in years to come.
There is "near proven petroleum reserves" in offshore Southwest Palawan, East Palawan and the Sulu Sea basin.

(Palawan ....as in the setting of the Black Lagoon anime???)
Old 2006-04-24, 16:34   Link #38
Jigokun
Shocked Expression!

Ugh - Makes me shudder to think how much this years Otakon will cost me, Better start saving up now!
Jigokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 16:40   Link #39
Homeschooler_Jenni
Rar.

Gas prices have been so crazy and it makes it alot harder to go on vacations :/ There are other things you can use to produce gas,but that wouldn't be good for gas companies,so they bought the plans on how to do that ~_~; sucks
Homeschooler_Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 18:36   Link #40
dan88

Apparently petrol prices at some local petrol stations have already passed £1 per litre.