AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 11:16   Link #61
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Okay, here's a question:

I want to install an eroge via Wine. The thing is, I need to be on Japanese locale in Ubuntu (and possibly configure it in Wine, too), but I can't seem to find it. Without Japanese locale, the CD image I mount shows a couple of files tagged as ???, instead of having regular names, which I think will affect the installation. Not to mention that, without Japanese locale, fonts won't be displayed correctly in-game. Does anyone know how to do this in Ubuntu Feisty?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 13:20   Link #62
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I am not sure... but imo it depends on the encoding used for the filenames. If it is utf-8 (which is an international standard for such things), then you'll basically just need a font set that supports the characters (try to locate one in your system managment stuff). On another note, in my Gentoo KDE I was able to to install japanese locale without problems (maybe its a problem especially with Kubuntu?).
Old 2007-06-09, 13:24   Link #63
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
I will keep xp on the laptop just because I think that its still worth having a windows environment just in case some stuff won't run under linux (if any) and it's still under warranty (not sure where I stand if I suddenly run ubuntu on this).
If you haven't already, check out VMWare Server, free as of ~4 months ago. I believe it's in the Ubuntu repositories, but there was some issue that it was out of date a month or so ago... not sure if it's been fixed.

Your laptop is a core solo, so virtualization might hurt a bit. However, I think that processor still has the embedded virtualization support, so perhaps not? Although I'm really recommending this more for your desktop (which I don't think you mentioned the hardware on it). Don't expect to play games through it, but for practically anything else, it should work nicely. I use different virtualization software on my Macbook Pro (Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM), and while I don't run to Windows as often as I thought I would, it definitely helps to be able to access all of your old software.

It's a more system-intensive solution than WINE, but it guarantees better compatibility with less tinkering.
Old 2007-06-09, 13:38   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

WK, have you read this HOWTO?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 14:26   Link #65
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Gentoooooo ... within a few weeks I'm gonna get my raid controller and install Gentoo once again... I just home those 3 brand new disks won't fail with it -_-

How's Gentoo doing by the way? It's like more than a year since I last used it.

By the way... I've a question concerning SCIM... How do you make it type accents such as éâëàò etc?
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 21:35   Link #66
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, the crash problems that Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (Feisty) was suffering from due to past updates has been resolved it seems. Rolling back to -15 may have helped the problem temporarily, but prevented people from recieving updates. But now, a new system update was put out in order to resolve the issue. So far, the OS seems to be stable and I have yet to recieve any system crash problems. Of course, I'll continue to test the system for several days to be sure the problem has been fully resolved.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 22:09   Link #67
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
Well, the crash problems that Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (Feisty) was suffering from due to past updates has been resolved it seems. Rolling back to -15 may have helped the problem temporarily, but prevented people from recieving updates. But now, a new system update was put out in order to resolve the issue. So far, the OS seems to be stable and I have yet to recieve any system crash problems. Of course, I'll continue to test the system for several days to be sure the problem has been fully resolved.
Do you know what was causing the crash and the patch that fixed it?
Old 2007-06-10, 11:42   Link #68
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
WK, have you read this HOWTO?
Yes, I mean, I did that already, long ago. I was just curious to ask if I needed anything else. I have the SCIM input system working, but the files are still shown as '???'. Everything else works perfectly. I haven't tried installing it yet (I've been away from home all day long yesterday), but I'll do so in a minute.

UPDATE:

Oookay, I just ran the installation via Wine and the display I get in the windows is the same as in a non-Japanese locale Windows (that is, broken fonts).

Old 2007-06-10, 11:51   Link #69
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Yes, I mean, I did that already, long ago. I was just curious to ask if I needed anything else. I have the SCIM input system working, but the files are still shown as '???'. Everything else works perfectly. I haven't tried installing it yet (I've been away from home all day long yesterday), but I'll do so in a minute.

UPDATE:

Oookay, I just ran the installation via Wine and the display I get in the windows is the same as in a non-Japanese locale Windows (that is, broken fonts).
I wonder can u run that locale setting application that Ledgem recommends?
Old 2007-06-10, 11:59   Link #70
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

It's OK, I managed to do it. I had to type "LANG=ja_JP" before wine in the command line. I'll be on the lookout for more troubles. Thanks anyways. I'll see if mounting the iso while adding that line helps me.

UPDATE: No, it still showed the '???', and obviously the installation program couldn't locate the files it needed .

Old 2007-06-10, 12:09   Link #71
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Okay, I'm an idiot, I was running the mount command with an iso96-something option. I eliminated it and it mounts with no problem at all.

UPDATE: OKAY, NOW I'M PISSED. I mounted the damn iso with Japanese supported, and the installer looks for a damn '[some kanji]???.alm' file and refuses to install. I checked the cd image and there appear no files labeled as '???'. I'm puzzled.

Old 2007-06-10, 19:36   Link #72
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Okay, I'm an idiot, I was running the mount command with an iso96-something option. I eliminated it and it mounts with no problem at all.

UPDATE: OKAY, NOW I'M PISSED. I mounted the damn iso with Japanese supported, and the installer looks for a damn '[some kanji]???.alm' file and refuses to install. I checked the cd image and there appear no files labeled as '???'. I'm puzzled.
I think you might need to regenerate your locales, after you add support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some nice chap on the interweb
Regenerate the supported locales
Run sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2007/0...locale-on.html
Old 2007-06-10, 20:18   Link #73
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I think you might need to regenerate your locales, after you add support.
I did already xP.

Old 2007-06-12, 04:48   Link #74
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Might try here as well. I've just completed a clean install on a PC I just built for my brother.

Specs
CPU: AMD X2 3600+
Mobo: Asus M2n8 vmx
Video: ECS 256 nvdia 7600gt
Wireless card: Asus WL138G
LG SATA Dual layer burner
WD SATA 250gig HDD
Ram 1 gig

ISP: Optusnet Australia
Wireless Router: WRT54gl
Cable Modem: Motorola SB5100

But now I can't connect to the internet, I've plugged into the ethernet adapter cable modem -> PC direct, I've removed the router, Ubuntu picks it up and says I'm connected but all connections time out. I've tried a manual config using what's on the Win XP Pc but still no go. I've tried DHCP and still no good. Eventually once I can get the ndiswrapper and stuff this will become a wireless connection until then I'm chained to the basement.

I also had this issue on install and am not too sure if its related.

I boot up using the burned ISO CD. I get to the menu asking me what I'd like to do. I select option 1 but the following errors come up

18.239616 MP-Bios bug 8234 timer not connected to io apic
18.418467 Kernel Panc - not syncing 10 apic +timer doesn't work boot wth apic = debugand send report.

I did the f6 noapic thing which let me install.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

So far everything works fine all apps work ok, usb and bluetooth are working. If you need more info please let me know. (also how to get that info if I have to do the command line stuff). I should probably buy the Linux Bible to get a better grasp of what's going on
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 06:28   Link #75
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Have you tried resetting the modem?
In the past one of my friends had cable internet and couldn't get a connection after he replaced his ethernet card in his computer.
Resetting the modem did the trick. Afterwards it seemed that it had to do something with the mac address that was registered.

When you had a cable modem onto a pc, then on a router and it doesn't work and to a new pc and still doesn't work it might be the same case as my friend's. His modem was also a motorola one, but I've no idea what model.
Old 2007-06-12, 06:31   Link #76
grey_moon

Hmmm

I've not connected up directly via my modem before in Ubuntu (or nix for that matter), but the command to check what interfaces are available in the terminal is

sudo ifconfig -a

Is your connection PPPoE? How did you configure it? I'm guessing you have done something as you mention u tried the same config as on the XP PC... If it is PPPoE below is a howto....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82879

Have you configured a firewall?

Check with

sudo /sbin/iptables -L

(has to be a cap L)

*EDIT*

If a command doesn't work I might have pathed it wrong, or its not in your search path. To find the full path you use

whereis {command without the brackets}

Any security nut, errr I mean security concious nix person will tell you that you should always use the full path to prevent yourself from being nailed by a trojan.

Last edited by grey_moon; 2007-06-12 at 06:42.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 07:21   Link #77
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

NVM I figured it out. The dropkick hasn't paid his bill. He's been disconnected. I feel so stupid.

Oh actually BTW how do I use ndiswrapper? I get this error but I just don't get what I have to do?

"If you get an error with ndiswrapper -i filename.inf along the lines of “couldn’t copy filename.inf at line xxx”, then ‘filename.inf’ most probably does not exist. Check your spelling carefully and remember to use upper / lower case where appropriate. You will have to correct this failed installation with ndiswrapper -r filename (note: not filename.inf) before trying again."
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 07:35   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

ndiswrapper lets you use the Windows drivers for the card. The .inf file is on the installation medium for the wireless card. When you install a driver in Windows, it looks for the .inf file to determine what to install. ndiswrapper does the same. So if you have the driver on a diskette or CD, mount that first, then give ndiswrapper the full path to the .inf file.

My knowledge here is purely second-hand. I don't use ndiswrapper; I only get machines with Intel wireless which is well supported in Linux. Do you know what chipset your Asus card uses? If it's a Broadcom, I'd visit their website because I just noticed they've announced native Linux drivers for their cards, which in the past have been horrible to support.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 09:27   Link #79
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
How's Gentoo doing by the way? It's like more than a year since I last used it.
Let me put it this way... I'ld very much encourage you to use the pre-compiled versions of components/applications if available, that saves you a lot of time (especially if you decide to use an x-server based window manager).

edit:
@WanderingKnight,

maybe it is related to:

http://www.winehq.org/site/status_todo
(seems like a not so well supported feature in Wine)
Old 2007-06-12, 13:15   Link #80
Syaoran
Inactive Member

You mean like running precompiled binaries for firefox, thunderbird, k3b, ... on a self-defined-useflags-build base system & xorg?

Tags
linux, ubuntu