AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-03, 04:58   Link #1
go12go12go13

searching good anime good vs evil

i am searching a good anime in which there is a struggle between good and evil. magic powers may be involved, too. the plot should not be boring, the characters evaluating. i have recently watched chrno crusade, which i enjoyed.
i dislike the pure fighting animes, where the main character has to face a different foe once every episode. i have not seen a lot, so feel free to post everything worth mentioning.
thx for your suggestions.
Old 2004-04-03, 06:44   Link #2
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by go12go12go13
i am searching a good anime in which there is a struggle between good and evil. magic powers may be involved, too. the plot should not be boring, the characters evaluating. i have recently watched chrno crusade, which i enjoyed.
i dislike the pure fighting animes, where the main character has to face a different foe once every episode. i have not seen a lot, so feel free to post everything worth mentioning.
thx for your suggestions.
Well there is Scrapped Princess if you haven't looked into that already^^
Also when you say good vs. evil it makes it pretty hard to give you a decent-sized list. As, as far as I think, "evil" is too far an extreme to create the drama you seem to be looking for.

The purest (by pure I mean basic) of all "Good vs. Evil" plotlines have been reduced to nothing more than "I'm good, you're evil, I blast you, the world is saved, the end." Of course, exceptions exist yet they are far and in-between

Full Metal Alchemist come to mind in the struggle again "Evil," but really, there are backstories to many characters so their despicable acts may be understood, if even forgiven.

A true "good vs. evil" story, I suppose, is one where the "Evil" is just as the word stand for, a being so completely ruthless, its actions completely un-just and un-justified and plain wrong on every concievable notion of social norm and practices. And the good has every justification to wipe the evil off the face of the Earth.

I know, the scenario I'm describing is so far into the extreme but it's the price to be paid for something as simple as "good vs. evil"
Old 2004-04-03, 12:25   Link #3
7thMethuselah

If you are interested in a light good vs evil anime try out asagiri no miko : it's funny has quite some magic and is overall a very fun thing to see, epi's are only 12 minutes so nothing wasted trying them out
Old 2004-04-03, 12:51   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Good vs Evil theme:

- Avenger
- Gilgamesh - Has a slightly different style from the rest of the anime genre, but the story is deep.
- Mermaid Forest
- Scrapped Princess
- Violinist of Hamelin - this is an old series, the style might not be to your liking but has strong good vs evil theme and deep plot.
Old 2004-04-03, 12:56   Link #5
go12go12go13

thx for the answer so far. keep on posting your ideas.
#2 no i have not seen it yet.
Old 2004-04-03, 20:03   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I don't know how some of you can make these recommendations. In the following animes, the enemy is "gray," neither good nor evil: Scrapped Princess, Gilgamesh, Full Metal Alchemist, Mermaid's Forest. In the follow animes the hero is "gray," neither good nor evil: Mermaid's Forest and Gilgamesh. I never watched Avenger so I can't say if that one fits the bill, but aside from that possibility, of all the animes mentioned here, I can only say that Violynist of Hamelin is a struggle of Good vs Evil.

In most anime a common theme is how people are rarely 100% good or 100% evil.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-03, 20:12   Link #7
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yup, there are really less and less pure "good vs. evil" anime nowadays, I guess the old days of super hero beating super evil villains are gone. The villain in Avenger is definitely not evil.

I think someone currently is releasing Godmars which is an old anime series of a quite pure "Good vs. Evil" theme, it's very good if you can stand the dated animation...

For newer anime series, Last Exile could be the closest to a "Good vs. Evil" anime, at least the villain is simply pure evil, and the protagonists are mostly "good"...

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-04-03 at 22:32.
Old 2004-04-03, 20:31   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Yeah, there isn't much anime about clear good vs evil lately.

Altho I tought anime like Gilgamesh has an interesting aproach on good vs evil concept. Instead of a clear line who is good vs evil, they make the viewer guess who is good who is evil, or make the character have a choice and struggle which side they will take or are they doing the right thing. Altho in the end they all about in grey area, but they did aproach the concept of good vs evil in the process.
Old 2004-04-03, 22:18   Link #9
wnkryo
HainShodan

An anime that fits what your looking for is Samurai Deeper Kyo. Not only is it about good and evil, but it also has some kick ass action (with some majic). To find out more about it, just click here.
Old 2004-04-04, 03:35   Link #10
go12go12go13

Samurai Deeper Kyo sounds interesting to me. maybe i should give it a try.
Closed Thread