AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-29, 23:39   Link #421
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Eh, Gundam stories tend to be formulaic and non-nonsensical. Definitely not a core element. The core of the franchise is mecha in a war/military setting, along with some pseudo-sci-fi gibberish. Everything else is basically dressing.

On that note if they do make a live-action Hollywood movie, its to market the franchise to a mainstream/international audiences, and the easiest way to do that is to go the route of Transformers - something straight forward, not trying to tread any new grounds with the story or stray too far from its roots, action-oriented to appeal to lowest denominator, etc. Its definitely a shot in the arm that the franchise needs in terms of expanding the audience, so I definitely see them going that way.
Who said it was the “core” ? The core has always been the mechas. I only said that the story is one of the major appeals of Gundam franchise along with the characters.

All I’m saying is: I prefer to have nothing than having a screwed up product. Dragon Ball Evolution is more than enough lesson to any anime-fans out there. This is my opinion, you can have yours.

See ya. *run for Friday prayers*

--------------------------------------------

*back from Friday prayers*

Let me elaborate more (assuming they do plan on making Gundam live action):

Transformers did tread new grounds in visual effects (transforming robots is one of them). That’s the main draw of Bayformers even though it has stray away from Transformers spirit (e.g. humans take center stage, not Autobot nor Decepticon).

Compared to transformers, Mobile Suits are giant lumbering mechas controlled by humans with no interesting personality. They’re not as fast as transformers (if they want to make it more grounded to reality). Even if some MS can transform, it won’t be as “beautiful” as transformers (since MSs are man-made and controlled by humans inside). The action will be more or less the same with Transformers with less variety of robots (at least in the first movie). So, if Gundam live action movie doesn’t have a good story and good execution to offer, people will brush it away as another “Transformers wannabe”. I don’t want that.

What Gundam has that Transformers doesn’t is the internal conflict and drama surrounding the characters/pilots in a militaristic setting and the conflict between different factions of humans. Gundam has a human character who actually fought inside the robot, unlike Sam Witwicky type of MC who only running around during giant robot battles like a horrible side-kick character. Most Gundam series also has the Star-Trek-ish appeal in which the main characters are sheltered and work as part of a team inside a space-ship (White Base, Archangel, Ptolemaios, etc). All those Gundam charms must be executed well in order not to be branded as a “Transformers rip-off”, not disappointing loyal fans and getting new fans along the way. So it’s not as simple and straightforward as Transformers like you said (unless they’re lazy and don’t want Gundam live-action to truly succeed. Who knows?)

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2012-11-30 at 01:01.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 00:12   Link #422
bio9205
Reborn

I honestly don't care if they "ruin" the franchise with a Bayformers like trashy movie. As long as 1) this doesn't affect the anime side of things and 2) we get to see giant robots beat the crap out of one another, I'm fine with it.

But I agree with Obelisk. The primary draw of Gundam, for me at least, is the story, then the mecha designs.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 14:18   Link #423
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
well certainly it will have more story than transformer due nature of original medium. . beside, to me. reason why i watch Gundam is because mecha action :3

thought i wonder how they will do it. the only way i can think is to make something like 08TH MS team
Doing the 08th MS Team style is basically the only way you could make a live-action Gundam and have it appeal in the U.S. (assuming you wanted to do that, which you would). Unconventional war movies can be pretty popular when you look at titles like The Hurt Locker.

The biggest hurdle in my mind is how to approach making such a thing in terms of having a story to use. The recent Halo live-action Forward Unto Dawn was quite amazing in those regards for making a live-action series out of something that already has very broad source material. The One Year War does give them a lot of potential, and if they could find a good theater to set it and do it with quality akin to Forward Unto Dawn, we'd have ourselves a pretty darn good live-action Gundam in the making.
Old 2012-12-06, 14:34   Link #424
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

There was also the Assassin's Creed: Lineage short live-action films that were also quite amazing (and gives me hope that the movie can be done similarly).

It goes to show just how well anime/games CAN be done as live action movies if there's a lot of thought dedicated to it rather than just putting in homage scenes/words/etc to the actual anime/game in question and passing it off as a "movie" like most have tended to do, if even that much, or making it while they're trying to make dozens of other movies which would most likely seem "more important" to get done right.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 13:08   Link #425
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

A movie could be done well as long as the writer and director really have a respect for the franchise. In fact let them run wild with it, but for the love of all that is good make it an alternate timeline, don't shoehorn this into the UC universe.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 13:19   Link #426
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

I wouldn't mind it being an AU movie so long as there's good, believable story and character development balancing out decent, more balanced out MS battles. If they end up going the way of Wing, SEED/SEED Destiny, latter 00, and latter AGE though, it will probably end up focused a lot more on flashy, more one-sided MS battles with pretty minimal (or at least decent) development.
Old 2012-12-07, 22:47   Link #427
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
I wouldn't mind it being an AU movie so long as there's good, believable story and character development balancing out decent, more balanced out MS battles. If they end up going the way of Wing, SEED/SEED Destiny, latter 00, and latter AGE though, it will probably end up focused a lot more on flashy, more one-sided MS battles with pretty minimal (or at least decent) development.
Yeah. The sad fact is that if they ever live-actioned a more recent Gundam like 00 or Seed it would have a lot of focus on combat. Although Seed wasn't quite as combat heavy as 00, it was still up there.

Although that wouldn't necessarily be a terrible thing either, as long as they maintained good balance and consistency throughout the series (I've decided a live-action Gundam movie would be impossibly short).
Old 2012-12-08, 00:42   Link #428
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Yeah, I may come off sounding like a UC-fanboy, but I'm not. I do prefer UC overall, but I also do like G Gundam (yes, G Gundam), Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam. Just that after seeing the other named series', it's just so noticeable, the lack of any real decent/believable/etc story/character developments, yet music, (most) MS designs, and such are pretty good.

I guess it made me realize how much I like the "real robot" aspect of UC Gundam compared to the more "super robot" style of the other named series', and was spoiled by the likes of Gundam 0080 and The 08th MS Team ("SEED/SEED Destiny with consequences"), lol.
Old 2013-01-29, 14:52   Link #429
Zoel

So I am guessing accorind to these scans, Gundam Origin doesn't start until 2014.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14266.html

Zoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 16:42   Link #430
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I wonder if they originally planned for it to be an OVA like Unicorn but after AGE decided to make it the next TV anime instead?
Old 2013-01-29, 23:36   Link #431
OPN

Uh i thought the news about the origin was fake?
Old 2013-01-30, 05:32   Link #432
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
Uh i thought the news about the origin was fake?
The poster maybe fake but they say they gonna to make origin anime

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 08:48   Link #433
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoel View Post
So I am guessing according to these scans, Gundam Origin doesn't start until 2014.
They better hurry. Amuro's and Char's seiyuus aren't getting any younger. It'd be terrible if the studio had to replace them like they'll have to replace You Inoue (Sayla Mass' seiyuu), who died in 2002.

I have the manga tankoubons for this series, and while those were illustrated by the original character designer, I'd like to know if the anime designs are going to be updated in any way to appeal to modern sensibilities better (it isn't 1979 anymore, after all). It'd be nice if they used CGI to animate the spaceships and Mobile Suits (like they did with Zeta Gundam: A New Translation). The mangaka for G:Origin made Guntanks and Guncannons commonplace before the debut of the Zaku, so we'll see plenty of Mobile Suit fights this time around.

I'm personally interested in seeing the new updated designs for the original GM Mobile Suits in animation. They look much better and some variants are quite well-armed.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 14:04   Link #434
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
They better hurry. Amuro's and Char's seiyuus aren't getting any younger. It'd be terrible if the studio had to replace them like they'll have to replace You Inoue (Sayla Mass' seiyuu), who died in 2002.

I have the manga tankoubons for this series, and while those were illustrated by the original character designer, I'd like to know if the anime designs are going to be updated in any way to appeal to modern sensibilities better (it isn't 1979 anymore, after all). It'd be nice if they used CGI to animate the spaceships and Mobile Suits (like they did with Zeta Gundam: A New Translation). The mangaka for G:Origin made Guntanks and Guncannons commonplace before the debut of the Zaku, so we'll see plenty of Mobile Suit fights this time around.

I'm personally interested in seeing the new updated designs for the original GM Mobile Suits in animation. They look much better and some variants are quite well-armed.
And already having replaced Bright (original seiyuu dying of lung cancer).

And the Guntank is more or less the same, just looking a little more squat than the original and the Guncannon definitely looks more like a prototype with the 3 pronged fingered hands.
Old 2013-02-01, 01:06   Link #435
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Wow I hope its true
Old 2013-02-02, 07:39   Link #436
Helius

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...ject-green-lit

I do wonder just what the $^&% is wrong with their heads to think people would want that &^%& ever again.

Are the models really selling? Or maybe the opposite so they needed the publicity to boost sales...?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 07:54   Link #437
ingram1106

It seems that a part of fan's reactions were good although model sales were destructive.
I am truly pleased that AGE can see again.
Old 2013-02-02, 07:59   Link #438
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well it just "project" it could be just Drama CD and Manga you know

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 10:34   Link #439
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Are the models really selling? Or maybe the opposite so they needed the publicity to boost sales...?
IIRC AGE’s sales has been awful in every category imaginable (I believe a member already posted the data in a certain Gundam thread). It performs poorly in selling its BDs, model kits, action figures, video games, etc, as well as one of the most lambasted and ignored series by fans resulting in poor ratings back then when it was aired.
Old 2013-02-02, 12:55   Link #440
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
IIRC AGE’s sales has been awful in every category imaginable (I believe a member already posted the data in a certain Gundam thread). It performs poorly in selling its BDs, model kits, action figures, video games, etc, as well as one of the most lambasted and ignored series by fans resulting in poor ratings back then when it was aired.
It was the worst selling Gundam show up to date, it also had the worst ratings and on Amazon, all AGE kits sold less than the Juaggu from Unicorn
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote