AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-03, 17:10   Link #1
GetBackers
Semper Fi

Exclamation Looking for an action/comedy/matureish anime

Heya! I'm trying to find a good action/comedy/matureish anime to watch. I haven't seen alot of anime, mostly because I have trouble finding one I like, or just finding any at all ; ;. I'd like one with fighting, romance/matureish, some comedy, anything of the sort. Here's all the anime I've watched, maybe this will give you a good idea of what i'm looking for. Keep in mind, it's not many.... >_<

List Of Anime I've Watched
Akira
GetBackers (favorite one so far)
Outlaw Star (first anime I ever watched)
Dragon Ball (All the series)
Naruto
Gantz
Air Gear
Tenchi Muyo!
Elfen Lied
Tenjho Tenge
Gundam Wing

And that's all of them^^. To tell you the truth, it's kinda weird. I always talk other people who watch anime as much as I try to, and they always say they've watched as much as 20 different kinds of anime.

On a side note, people keep telling me to watch Ikki Tousen. I wiki'ed it, then looked at some of the screenshots of it and it looks crazy sexii! . I'm about to download it, but to any of you that have seen it, how is it? Thank ya!

Last edited by GetBackers; 2008-06-03 at 19:14.
Old 2008-06-03, 17:26   Link #2
oompa loompa

full metal panic seems to fit the bill.. while the first two seasons arnt particularly mature, the third season probably fits what youre looking for perfectly. wonderful anime as it happens, definetly worth a watch just for the third season in my opinion

id also like to add rurouni kenshin, while a lot of it is inherently childish, the message, and the plot is pretty deep. unfortunately its only from the manga upto episode 60, then it becomes anime only. mangas amazing though, and trust x betrayal , the ova, will be on atleast 50-60% of peoples top 10 anime watched list, if you count ovas and movies atleast.
Old 2008-06-03, 18:17   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

First off, you don't find (m)any mature action/comedies, so I'll recommend some action/romance/comedies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
full metal panic seems to fit the bill.. while the first two seasons arnt particularly mature, the third season probably fits what youre looking for perfectly. wonderful anime as it happens, definetly worth a watch just for the third season in my opinion
Yes, definitely Full Metal Panic!.
Action is there, comedy is there, a touch of romance, and it gets serious at times (even in the first season).
The second season is pure comedy, but is among the best of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
id also like to add rurouni kenshin, while a lot of it is inherently childish, the message, and the plot is pretty deep. unfortunately its only from the manga upto episode 60, then it becomes anime only. mangas amazing though, and trust x betrayal , the ova, will be on atleast 50-60% of peoples top 10 anime watched list, if you count ovas and movies atleast.
While I didn't care much for the main series (I haven't really watched much of it though), the OVA is not to be missed.
While it doesn't have comedy, it's among the best of action/romance/drama.

More stuff would be:
Shakugan no Shana - Action/drama/romance with some comedy about a guy who meets a loli-looking slayer who hunts demons.
Fate/Stay Night - Similar to Shakugan no Shana with more emphasis on fights and romance.
Zero no Tsukaima - Also similar to Shakugan no Shana with role reversal and more comedy and romance. It's also quite ecchi, so if you're into the "sexii" thing, you'll want to start here.
Old 2008-06-03, 18:37   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Did you just call SnS and ZnT mature?

I agree with FMP! though, a series you shouldn't miss.

This is a bit of a stretch, Saikano might fit, especially if you like Elfen Lied. It doesn't have as much comedy as Elfen Lied, but the action/maturity is there.

Rurouni Kenshin is kinda weird. The theme is definitely mature-ish, the main series had comedy and action, but the OVA really has no comedy. I'd recommend you start watching episodes 1-62 of Rurouni Kenshin then watch its OVA, Trust and Betrayal (Tsuiokuhen).

EDIT: When I say watch episodes 1-62, make sure you don't watch more or else it will lessen your appreciation for the series.

Chrno Crusade (seriously, under-appreciated if I ever see one) has lots of mature themes, including religious, good vs. evil (not the I AM GOOD YOU ARE EVIL NOW DIE CHARGE POWERFUL UP 999X MEGA ENERGY BLAST kind), friendship, discrimination, isolation, etc..., and Rosette x Chrno interations are often comedic.
Old 2008-06-03, 18:59   Link #5
GetBackers
Semper Fi

Awesome! I'm downloading Full Metal Panic! right now ;D. As for Rurouni Kenshin, I wiki'd it and read the plot and it seems pretty interesting, I actually mite start watching that, same thing with Chrno Crusade.

Wow!, Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima looks REALLY interesting so I'm DEFINITELY gonna watch both of those! Fate/Stay Night looks....I dunno......"alright". The plot and everything looks tight, but the characters.....meh, same thing with Saikano.

Anyways, thanks guys for suggesting some cool animes! If anyone knows anymore, let's keep the list coming!
Old 2008-06-03, 19:14   Link #6
mandarb916

Elfen Lied
Story is slightly on the dark side with a touch of romance (both incestual slightly, and not). The action scenes aren't as good as the fluidity in Seirei no Moribito, but still good nonetheless. The story itself can be pretty touching depending on what you enjoy, and there's a little bit of comic relief too.
Old 2008-06-03, 19:26   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Did you just call SnS and ZnT mature?
lolno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
First off, you don't find (m)any mature action/comedies, so I'll recommend some action/romance/comedies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBackers View Post
Awesome! I'm downloading Full Metal Panic! right now ;D. As for Rurouni Kenshin, I wiki'd it and read the plot and it seems pretty interesting, I actually mite start watching that, same thing with Chrno Crusade.
Actually, you've just ordered the DVD box set, right?
*nudge nudge*
Quote:
Wow!, Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima looks REALLY interesting so I'm DEFINITELY gonna watch both of those! Fate/Stay Night looks....I dunno......"alright". The plot and everything looks tight, but the characters.....meh, same thing with Saikano.
Nice. I found Shakugan no Shana > Fate/Stay Night too.
Once you get past the character designs, Fate/Stay Night isn't that bad, though.
Old 2008-06-03, 20:22   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
you don't find (m)any mature action/comedies,
Well, that's generally true, but I'd nominate two Brains-Base shows, Baccano! and the currently airing Kure-nai, as two examples of mature action/comedies.

If you're open to something a bit more off-beat, you might want to try watching Oh! Edo Rocket. It has a mix of action and comedy, with a bit of romance as well. It's rather satiric, though; the comedy is more subtle than most shows in this genre.

Finally, I'd suggest Saiunkoku Monogatari as a nice mix of romance, comedy, drama, and a bit of action as well.
Old 2008-06-03, 20:43   Link #9
Eric10301

Black Lagoon Season 1&2 All adult cast, action packed and a good watch

Claymore Basically a female Berserk show, deals with genetically enhanced women who hunt and kill demons.

Death Note One of my favorite anime of all time. Keeps you on your toes from start to finish.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni & Higurashi no Naku Koro ni kai Basically its like watching a murder mystery where the viewer is the detective and tries to solve the case and find out who the killer is.

Kaiji Once you get pass the weird animation style its a very fun watch deals with life and death circumstances and trying to over come them and be a better person. A lot of underlying social commentary in this .

NHK ni Youkoso! Deals with a lot of adult material like being a hikikomori, depression, addiction, and suicide all with a comical twist. A real must watch if you ask me.
Old 2008-06-03, 20:45   Link #10
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, that's generally true, but I'd nominate two Brains-Base shows, Baccano! and the currently airing Kure-nai, as two examples of mature action/comedies.
Ah, the part about romance must have made me forget about Baccano!.

So yes, try out Baccano!, one of the most unique and fun quick-paced action anime series. It has a well-paced and original plot, a good amount of action, and a great cast of likable characters.

And while Kurenai is a mature comedy, there's very little actual action within the series.
Old 2008-06-04, 09:28   Link #11
GetBackers
Semper Fi

Sweet! Alot of those look interesting, but NHK ni Youkoso! looks REALLY interesting! I'm trying to wiki them all to see what the plot is, and alot of them looks really good! Keep the list coming!

P.S. Today is my birthday! ;D. Today was also supposed to be the day I take the ASVAB so I can join the Marines. But the recruiter called me just now and said I should wait until next week on Thursday ; ;. Ah well, more time to study!
Old 2008-06-04, 16:38   Link #12
Eric10301

Quote:
Sweet! Alot of those look interesting, but NHK ni Youkoso! looks REALLY interesting! I'm trying to wiki them all to see what the plot is, and alot of them looks really good! Keep the list coming!

P.S. Today is my birthday! ;D. Today was also supposed to be the day I take the ASVAB so I can join the Marines. But the recruiter called me just now and said I should wait until next week on Thursday ; ;. Ah well, more time to study!
Good luck with the ASVAB but you probably wont need it since the test is quite easy
Old 2008-06-05, 09:07   Link #13
Freeze

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but don't even bother downloading Ikki Tousen it is simply the worst show imaginable, all it has going for it is some action and fanservice. The story just goes nowhere, and the fights are ruined by having the creators put fanservice directly into the fights, so naturally the girls will lose clothing during the fights, even so much as to thier underwear. Obviously they won't show anything but if your one of those people that just love that kind of thing, then just go watch a hentai, seriously you'll have a muc better time watching that than Ikki Tousen. But thats just all my opinion if any fanboys start to flame me stating that what I just said was fact.

Now that my hatred for that series is over, I'd recommend you watch:

Cowboy bebop It has probably everything you're looking for, its got a lot of action, comedy, ad its mature. I highly recommend this as its one of my favorite series of all time.

Samurai Champloo This also has comedy,action, and is mature. Its made by the same creator of Cowboy Bebop, but instead of being space bounty hunters, the series is based in feudal japan, with a mix of hip-hop and alot of style!

Black Lagoon This show is just filled with action, its just awesome. ITs about Modern Day pirates, the first episode may be slow, so if you do watch this, then I'd suggest that you watch the first 2 episodes in one sitting because the 2nd episode is just amazing.

Gungrave, Now this show has very little comedy in it, maybe a little dark comedy in the 2nd episode but thats about it. But the only reason why I'm even recommending it is that its just one of the best anime shows out there. Its has a load of action, and it is really mature. Its about how these 2 guys, Brandon, and Harry, climb up the ranks in a Mafia organization. The story does make a turn into the supernatural genre once it hits its halfway mark, but its still amazing.
WARNING: Do not base your opinion of the show on the very first episode, for some reason the creators felt like putting in an episode based on the future of the series, so you literally have no idea whats going on, and the action is nice, but very little story. But the second episode is just amazing that I guarantee you'll get hooked.
Old 2008-06-05, 13:28   Link #14
GetBackers
Semper Fi

I never actually watched Cowboy bebop despite how many times I've heard of it, I mite start watching that also. Also, Gungrave looks totally awesome! Going to watch that too! Everything else looks alright, but those two look really good!

About Ikki Tousen, I know it has alot of women, short skirts, and fan service. But that's exactly the reason why I'm watching it lol.

P.S. Change of plans, I actually just got back from taking the ASVAB just now. I hope I did well, everything was substantially easy besides Auto & Shop. I get the results Friday of next week (because I took the one on paper). If this thread is still going, I'll tell you what I got next Friday.

Anyways, keep the list coming!
Old 2008-06-06, 05:27   Link #15
mahou_sakura
Medical Advisor member

i can recomment Devil May Cry series.. although its only 12 episodes buts it has a good share of funny scences and So many gunshots and sword-dancing stunts
(somewhat unrelated to the game console story though) and the graphics is kinda looks like Cowboy bebop.
Old 2008-06-18, 10:37   Link #16
GetBackers
Semper Fi

Alrighty, I finished watching Cowboy bebop and it was actually pretty good and I'll defiantly watch it again.

Ikki Tousen was good too, till it got to Dragons Destiny and the whole feeling of the show just went right out the window. Plus, they changed Koukin's hair color and his character model, and he was my favorite character. I was like, "Nah, I'm not feeling this..."

Full Metal Panic! was "okay". I didn't really like it that much.

And that's all the ones I've finished watching so far. Oh yeah, about the ASVAB, I scored a 70 bro. I was soo happy when I heard that! I KNEW I got a good score! Good thing I took the one on paper and not the CAT test, whoo hoo! Recruiter is supposed to be coming here tomorrow so I can choose my MOS! Then the physical is Sunday! Yippee!
Old 2008-06-18, 15:48   Link #17
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Paranoia Agent fits you bill minus the action. It's a great watch that I think any anime fan should see.

I'd also second Samurai Champloo.
Old 2008-06-20, 22:38   Link #18
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
if u haven't seen NHK yet, i would second on that, i started reading the manga a while back and it was actually the reason i found these forums a while back. real mature stuff, a real good suggestion

Samurai Champloo is a good anime, but man, it gets slow at times. still comical tho.

Paranoia agent is also great, but be ready to think, and i mean think deep, like English professor deep, there are so many subtle remarks and stuff, that if your not careful, at the end your not really sure who the real enemy is...

If u liked Bebop, Trigun is an old classic that a lot of people forget

Also, one of my personal favorite Excel Saga, is a completely random ass anime that has some maturity in it, as well as comedy and action. and some tongue in cheek romance. done by one of my Heros, Nabashin (who i actually got to meet and shake hands with at A-Kon in Dallas, sooooooooooooooo exciting!!!!!!!)
Old 2008-06-28, 02:08   Link #19
9mmx19

Was looking for something new too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
Cowboy bebop It has probably everything you're looking for, its got a lot of action, comedy, ad its mature. I highly recommend this as its one of my favorite series of all time.

Samurai Champloo This also has comedy,action, and is mature. Its made by the same creator of Cowboy Bebop, but instead of being space bounty hunters, the series is based in feudal japan, with a mix of hip-hop and alot of style!

Black Lagoon This show is just filled with action, its just awesome. ITs about Modern Day pirates, the first episode may be slow, so if you do watch this, then I'd suggest that you watch the first 2 episodes in one sitting because the 2nd episode is just amazing.

Gungrave, Now this show has very little comedy in it, maybe a little dark comedy in the 2nd episode but thats about it. But the only reason why I'm even recommending it is that its just one of the best anime shows out there. Its has a load of action, and it is really mature. Its about how these 2 guys, Brandon, and Harry, climb up the ranks in a Mafia organization. The story does make a turn into the supernatural genre once it hits its halfway mark, but its still amazing.
WARNING: Do not base your opinion of the show on the very first episode, for some reason the creators felt like putting in an episode based on the future of the series, so you literally have no idea whats going on, and the action is nice, but very little story. But the second episode is just amazing that I guarantee you'll get hooked.
You have the right idea of what Im looking for Freeze. Gungrave's plot towards the end ruined it though. Any others on the list? FMP and Kenshin were good too.
Closed Thread