AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-09-12, 20:19   Link #4181
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
There's an article in a Japanese magazine being published this week called Haruki and Haruhi. (The name and full details can be translated another time) In it, the authors went to the Dream Cafe that served as the model for the coffee lounge seen in the anime. In that shop, they have a message book for fans to write in. The authors found this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by message
Tanigawa-kun, your dream has come true. I've watched the anime of Haruhi and it reminded me of those wonderful times back then that I dearly miss.
-The sole upperclassman girl of Nishinomiya High School's Literature Club
Yes, it's that person mentioned in the afterword of Disappearance. I thought it was a nice detail and wanted to pass it on to international fans.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 21:01   Link #4182
GDB

So they (or at least, this magazine) have acknowledged that Haruki is a better name than Haruhiko, or is there some other meaning of Haruki that I'm not seeing in my dictionary?

Also, that's a pretty touching detail. Also nice that they actually read the notes.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 22:20   Link #4183
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Hey! Who wants release dates for Yen Press's Haruhi novels?!

The Intrigues Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Coming June 2012
The Indignation Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Coming September 2012
The Disassociation Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Coming April 2013
The Astonishment Of Haruhi Suzumiya: Coming September 2013

It looks like Astonishment will only be Part 1 as they list it as only having 240 pages (but that is likely to change in two years). At least we have confirmation that they are sticking with the franchise until then.

Old 2011-09-22, 23:17   Link #4184
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post

It looks like Astonishment will only be Part 1 as they list it as only having 240 pages (but that is likely to change in two years). At least we have confirmation that they are sticking with the franchise until then.
Thanks so much for this great news~ If nothing else, I'll at least have these to look forward to over the next two years =D

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Yumeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 05:54   Link #4185
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:

The last four books all list them as 240 pages, so I'm assuming it's just a placeholder amount. I'm thinking that since they don't list Astonishment as two parts they'll have both in one book.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 06:49   Link #4186
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Melancholy (Apr 1, 2009)
Sigh (October, 2009) Six months
Boredom (Jul 1, 2010) Nine months
Disappearance (Nov 2, 2010) Four months
Rampage (Jun 7, 2011) Seven months
Wavering (Nov 7, 2011) Five months

Averaging six months (6.2 ) and projecting into the future... (Disclaimer: this is a prediction based on the official data above, not official data itself)

VII (Scheme) - Late Spring/Early Summer, 2012
VIII (Anger) - Late Fall, 2012
IX (Dissociation) - Late Spring/Early Summer, 2013
X (Surprise) - Late Fall, 2013

...and possibly X.2 (Surprise pt 2) in 2014.
Quote:

Glad to see they're consistent. :-P (Extrapolation for the win!)

If they're all listed as 240, that speaks to a placeholder... especially considering the longest page-count of any released novel in English is in fact 240... but if Astonishment is coming in Sept 2013, is that really enough time to get both parts translated?

I wish it so, certainly.
Old 2011-09-23, 07:35   Link #4187
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
The last four books all list them as 240 pages, so I'm assuming it's just a placeholder amount. I'm thinking that since they don't list Astonishment as two parts they'll have both in one book.
Quote:

If they're all listed as 240, that speaks to a placeholder... especially considering the longest page-count of any released novel in English is in fact 240... but if Astonishment is coming in Sept 2013, is that really enough time to get both parts translated?

I wish it so, certainly.
Considering Intrigues is going to be the longest (assuming Astonishment is split into two volumes like everywhere else), it's certainly a placeholder. I believe these will change throughout the next two years as Yen will have more details when the works become finished. I'm just glad to see them licensed and have some kind of a concrete release date.

Can Astonishment be translated in full by September 2013? Yes, it's certainly possible and I wouldn't be surprised if Yen decides to do that. The problem will be the placement of the color pages and additional cover for the second book if a second book is not used. Maybe I'm too partial to the original release, but thus far it's been released as two books in every country thus far. Maybe Yen could cut us a break and release them together for once?

Edit since I don't see the need to double-post for this: Yen removed the listing for Astonishment around noon EST today. No reason is given. I'm curious as I sent an inquiry about some details regarding licenses/Astonishment's release details/etc this morning before the removal.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2011-09-23 at 19:56.
Old 2011-09-24, 10:03   Link #4188
bayoab

Quote:
Yen Press has said before the ~6 month gaps are intentional to maximize sales and because they are being published as light novels.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 14:22   Link #4189
GDB

Well it doesn't end there, but those are the most recent books.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 15:35   Link #4190
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

I've gotten permission to post this here.

The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya (the fanbook for the novels) has been fully translated into English. After battles with formatting, images, file sizes, and that damn timeline, I can now say it's finished. There are spoilers for the latest two novels, but it does not go past chapter 8 of Astonishment.

PDF/DOCX/EPUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introduction
This book was being worked on during the production of The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (First/Final) on sale 2011/5/25 (First Press Limited Edition) and 6/15 (Common Edition).
For readers new to the Haruhi Suzumiya series, we have started this book with Chapter 1’s Character Introduction. In addition, Chapter 2 (Each Volume Explained) provides a good introduction to the story’s world. Also included, for readers who have been with us from the start are three chapters to enjoy. Chapter 3 is a Question and Answer Session with Nagaru Tanigawa and Noizi Itou; Chapter 4 is a Reprinted Manuscript written by Nagaru Tanigawa that is an inquiry entitled A Study in August originally published in The Sneaker magazine; and Chapter 5 is a Roundtable Discussion featuring Tanigawa, Itou, and two editors.
We hope that this book brings a small, but new enjoyment to those who love the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
Table of Contents:
Timeline
Chapter 1: Character Introductions/Profiles
Chapter 2: Story Outlines
Chapter 3: Q&A

(50 Questions/50 Answers each from Nagaru Tanigawa/Noizi Itou)
Chapter 4: Reprinted Manuscript (A Study in August)
(A scientific inquiry into Endless Eight written by Tanigawa himself.)
Chapter 5: Roundtable Discussion
(With Tanigawa, Itou, two editors from The Sneaker and a moderator)
Chapter 6: Supplementary Information
Descriptions, dates, and basic information for other Haruhi-related media.

Old 2011-09-29, 14:29   Link #4191
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
According to Hatchette Book Group's website, Intrigues has a final date of June 19, 2012. Look for more details to come forth in the Hardcover and Paperback pages when they are finalized.

Old 2011-10-01, 23:22   Link #4192
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Cliffhanger....over?

Yuki-chan???

Or is she Yuki again?

(Chapter 26 is out)
Old 2011-10-01, 23:46   Link #4193
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Cliffhanger....over?

Yuki-chan???

Or is she Yuki again?

(Chapter 26 is out)
Oh yeah, I saw that a few days ago, I'm wondering what happened there…
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:17   Link #4194
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it is our alien friend....will Haruhi be happy about it?
Old 2011-10-04, 11:01   Link #4195
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The Back cover text has been released for The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya:
Quote:
After closing a time loop fiasco in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Vol. 5), our protagonist Kyon is ready to start a new year with a blank slate--no time travel, no apocalyptic worries, and maybe some actual peace and quiet with the SOS Brigade, a club comprised of his high school's most extraordinary students. Their leader is Haruhi, a bold, brash girl who doesn't realize that she's actually a powerful goddess whose moods can easily change the balance of the universe.

Just as Kyon starts to get comfortable, he gets a visit from his friend Mikuru. Except this isn't his Mikuru; it's a Mikuru from eight days in the future! Time traveling shenanigans start all over again as Kyon, guided by the future Mikuru, attempts to stop a terrible future from becoming a reality.
(Yes, I kept the volume error. Sadly, that just makes it more evident it's from Hachette/Yen/Little, Brown.)

Also this volume will have a Kindle version!

Old 2011-10-08, 10:17   Link #4196
s07195
However,

So, I was looking in a light novel bookshop the other day and I saw a version of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya printed under 'Kadokawa Wing Books' of Kadokawa Taiwan. Is there any difference? Just thought I'd mention this because it was also mentioned in the Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer. For anyone who's interested, it's a series started in both Kadokawa Shoten and Kadokawa Taiwan aiming to provide light novels and stuff to younger readers. (i.e. ones that are suitable for them) The Kadokawa Shoten versions have extra hiragana next to the kanji (based on what I read in observation), and I have yet to find out what's different in the Chinese version.

Corrupting 'em early, I see...
Old 2011-10-08, 10:25   Link #4197
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
So, I was looking in a light novel bookshop the other day and I saw a version of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya printed under 'Kadokawa Wing Books' of Kadokawa Taiwan. Is there any difference? Just thought I'd mention this because it was also mentioned in the Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya.
The Kadokawa Tsubasa (角川つばさ文庫) label is a re-printing of popular novels or original novels designed to be read by elementary/middle school children. These books have a bigger font as well as furigana beside any kanji. It's the exact same text, but with these guides to help children read it.

Old 2011-10-08, 23:43   Link #4198
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Collecting converts to Haruhism early.
Old 2011-10-14, 14:12   Link #4199
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-not-yuki-chan

Yen Press just became 36% more awesome by licensing Yuki-chan. DO WANT!
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 02:58   Link #4200
bayoab

No info on 10 yet. They had fully licensed the series before 10 came out.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga