AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-12-18, 16:32   Link #681
Sol Falling

Toyone's ability was called a "pursuit Riichi", seemingly specifically targeted to Ron on the person who called Riichi before her, right? Then the turn order issue is not about Toyone's ability to draw a winning tyle herself. Rather, because the person who previously called Riichi has to discard whatever tile they draw if they can't tsumo off of it, they are essentially completely trapped into playing into Toyone's hand.

That is to say: if you Riichi, and Toyone sets up her pursuit Riichi on you: you are screwed, full stop. There is nothing you yourself can do to avoid playing into Toyone's hand. The only thing you can hope for, is for someone else (who draws before you) to change the turn order; and because it's a ron/direct hit, there's no incentive for the other players to do that since it actually does nothing to their points.

I think the point here is that, unless you can somehow guarantee riichi ippatsu yourself, Toyone's ability basically shuts out riichi for the entirety of the game.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 16:52   Link #682
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Well the flaw is that it does not work on people who don't need a riichi to win, like Saki and in case of Koromo nobody will be able to get a riichi. Also in some cases you don't have to declare a riichi and still win.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 21:28   Link #683
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You don't have to kan or pon though, even a chi will change the order.
But it's like night sentinel has said, her power is basically a power to win with a riichi ippatsu. But it's not a power that actually improves the tiles that you get, but it seems to me a power that will get you the winning tile. It can easily be disrupted by people with abilities that let them draw certain tiles (thus winning faster before she can call a riichi)or prevent people from drawing certain tiles (like Koromo).
Who are you talking about? Toki or Toyone???

I confuse because the post before you is about Toki but you seem to talk about Toyone
Old 2011-12-18, 21:30   Link #684
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Well the flaw is that it does not work on people who don't need a riichi to win, like Saki and in case of Koromo nobody will be able to get a riichi. Also in some cases you don't have to declare a riichi and still win.
Was thinking the exact same thing, actually.
Old 2011-12-18, 21:39   Link #685
dingmajiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Who are you talking about? Toki or Toyone???

I confuse because the post before you is about Toki but you seem to talk about Toyone
It's Toyone.. For Toyone's power.. If she pursuit riichi after another's riichi, in order to prevent Toyone for winning, someone have to call to disrupt the draw..

A pon, open kan, chi will do the trick.. (close kan won't work right, since there wont be a change to the draw, however you could rinshan first though)
dingmajiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 01:41   Link #686
night_sentinel

You know, speaking of Toki and Toyone, I find it interesting that Toyone's ability is a nice counter to one of Toki's.

Toyone's pursuit riichi will pawn Toki's riichi ippatsu everytime. Its like paper will beat rock everytime. If Toki calls riichi, then Toyone doesn't even need to change the drawing order, she'll ron Toki before Toki's turn came up.

Of course, this assumes that Toyone's pursuit riichi will work on the same turn that the riichi is called. But, judging from the recently released chapter it does... so yeah.
On the off chance, Toyone's ability does not work on the turn that a person's riichi is called since she needs time to build a hand or something. Then, Toki will pawn Toyone's ability by making a riichi ippatsu before Toyone can pawn her.

Beside this, Toki has another ability in case the "riichi ippatsu" get sealed. She has the ability to read one round of discards which makes it easier to make a hand that will allow her to ron another player. For example: in round 7 she knows that player 1 will discard 2 of bamboos. Then, she build a hand that can ron the 2 of bamboo. I think this ability is actually scarier than the riichi ippatsu since it would be very hard to counter.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2011-12-19 at 01:59.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 02:34   Link #687
dingmajiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
You know, speaking of Toki and Toyone, I find it interesting that Toyone's ability is a nice counter to one of Toki's.
Toyone's so far have only ron on the riichi caller.. On the other hand, Toki always ippatsu, so there's no way Toyone will be able to ron on Toki unless she discard..
But Toki already knows that she's going to ippatsu, which is why she called the riichi in the first place..

Toyone's ability can't at all beat Toki's.. Toki's riichi will ippatsu whenever she calls it.. Toyone have not enough time on a pursuit to win on her discard..
Old 2011-12-19, 04:42   Link #688
night_sentinel

Yes, I know, that's why I've said that Toyone's "pursuit riichi" countering Toki's "riichi ippatsu" depends if she can ron Toki on the turn that she declared riichi. After reading the manga you're right, Toki would most likely win or perhaps their ability would cancel each other out.

Scenario 1: Toki wins
Toyone cannot pursue Toki since the next turn after she calls riichi Toki wins.Since the next tile Toki draws is automatically her win, then Toki won't discard it and of course Toyone can't ron it. Of course, the round also ends since Toki has already completed her hand.

Scenario 2: Draw
Toki's riichi ippatsu and Toyone's pursuit riichi will cancel each other out. Think about it Toyone's ability depend on someone when in riichi not drawing a winning tile and discarding it so she can ron while Toki's depend on giving herself the winning tile after riichi . So instead of Toki winning or Toyone making a ron, the tile drawn is a dud for both of them.

Scenario 3: Possible Toyone win
Toki's ability seems to be one that can easily be disturbed, if Toyone or any other player disturbs the draw order ( call a kan, pon and chi). Then, Toki will miss her winning tile and if Toyone can call a pursuit hand after the draw order disturbance since Toki is still in riichi. Of course, this scenario doesn't take account Toki's other ability or if Toyone's ability will work if she did not declare pursuit riichi right away.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2011-12-19 at 05:00.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 10:04   Link #689
dingmajiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Scenario 1: Toki wins
Toyone cannot pursue Toki since the next turn after she calls riichi Toki wins.Since the next tile Toki draws is automatically her win, then Toki won't discard it and of course Toyone can't ron it. Of course, the round also ends since Toki has already completed her hand.
IMO, most of the time it'll be this though..

Why? Toki can predict the draw rounds.. She only riichi when she knows for sure she can ippatsu there..

So unless anyone call, it wont change the tile that Toki will be drawing apart from calling, not even Toyone's riichi.. Unless Toyone pursuit riichi doesn't only win on the one who riichi, then she can win by winning on the other opponent's discard..

But if that's so, Toyone is rigged like hell.. So I guess, no way.. Toki > Toyone, still..
Old 2011-12-19, 16:28   Link #690
orangejuicetang

I wonder, what if their abilities interfered with each other, somehow?
Like say Toki riichi's, and her next draws going to be her winning tile. But then Toyone riichi's, and her abilities somehow supernaturally switches Toki's next draw into Toyone's winning tile?

With all the magic/supernatural abilities happening, it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, we already have 1 person who can nullify somebody else's powers by looking at them.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:49   Link #691
Marina2

It seems there are two plans that have been used so far....

1.Send your monster/ace player as 1st player
2. Send your monster/ace player as 5th player

With first plan, it's a guarantee that your team will get a huge amount of pointat the begining.There is also a chance to kill off other team before their monster/ace palyer even have a chance to play. However, you have to make sure that other members of your team can maintain your team's point to the end of the game.

With second plan, it's like a safe plan because even if your team screw up,you still have someone who can gain back the points at the end and you can handle other teams' moster/ace player too. The risk is the same as #1.

Other thing.....

It seems Shiratodai's 5th player (Awai) will be a powerful opponent for Saki.I wonder if she's more powerful than Teru.... I mean what if it is the same as Kiyosumi that everyone think that Nodoka is Kiyosumi's best player ,but in truth it's Saki. Could the same thing apply to Shiratodai???? (Teru = Nodoka, Awai = Saki)
Old 2011-12-25, 12:42   Link #692
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:

It seems Shiratodai's 5th player (Awai) will be a powerful opponent for Saki.I wonder if she's more powerful than Teru.... I mean what if it is the same as Kiyosumi that everyone think that Nodoka is Kiyosumi's best player ,but in truth it's Saki. Could the same thing apply to Shiratodai???? (Teru = Nodoka, Awai = Saki)

It's possible, but Saki has so much more emotional investment in Teru.

There's so much riding on this that I can't help but not care about Saki's matches against other Shirotodai members
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 23:39   Link #693
King-Slayer

Quote:

It's possible but i think it's more like the way Kazekoshi does it. Have their monster play first and have your second best take the 5th spot. Besides i think the only person who could come close to Teru is Saki.

Last edited by King-Slayer; 2011-12-27 at 22:40.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:58   Link #694
King-Slayer

Achiga chapter 6 is out.

It's a big 94pg chapter and it was pretty good. I loved seeing the other side of Teru's personality and seeing Kanbara and Momo. The matches were pretty fast but the ending was nice.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:48   Link #695
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Thanks for the heads up on Achiga-hen ch 6 King-Slayer
Old 2012-01-11, 23:52   Link #696
Marina2

Wow, last 2 chapters' translation comes out even before I can find their raws...Good job guys.

On Ch.6
Spoiler for ch.6:
Old 2012-01-12, 04:25   Link #697
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Just finally got around to reading chapter 6.

Spoiler for Achiga-hen chapter 6:
Old 2012-01-12, 06:23   Link #698
dingmajiao

Quote:
On Ch.6
Spoiler for ch.6:
Yeah, I wonder..

Good episode but won't it be better if they spread the game longer and more detailed into 5 seperate 25-30 page chapters instead of 94 all squeezed?

Well, at least the story is awesome, for sure..

I like Matsumi Yuu's playing style as well...
Old 2012-01-12, 06:58   Link #699
Sol Falling

They've already blasted through the semi-finals. 93 pages, holy cow. Are they planning to actually finish this whole thing before the start of the anime? I've been enjoying the side-story manga so far, but it would suck going into the second season completely spoiled for everything.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 09:58   Link #700
Peanutbutter

Holy cow, that was fast and a damn good round two match at that (though it's a bit short), but at least we know more about the Achiga-hen team.

Spoiler for Ch 6 Achiga-hen:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri