AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-04-06, 00:26   Link #1821
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
So she's gonna overthrow the Data Overmind and take control of the Swarm for her own enjoyment, becoming Queen Bitch of the Universe?
... I should hit you for that...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 00:37   Link #1822
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends...how would you classify Kimidori?

Hopefully they'll allow for the next novel to be released within the year so you're Haruhi translating skills won't get stale.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:43   Link #1823
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
She won't be able to do any of that unless if Haruhi has decided to act as the Arcturus.
The spot for Arcturus belongs to Itsuki. I'm certain he'd deliver a fine inauguration speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... I should hit you for that...
Sure you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Depends...how would you classify Kimidori?
What has she done again? It's hard to determine anything with what little of her we've been shown so far.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 00:55   Link #1824
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Hopefully they'll allow for the next novel to be released within the year so you're Haruhi translating skills won't get stale.
Back on topic...ahem...

From what I've seen on the publisher's site, "The Sigh (singular) of Haruhi Suzumiya" (original Kadokawa translation ftw!) will be released October 1st (or if the pattern holds, late September on Amazon). I imagine the later volumes will follow a similar release schedule (Boredom and "Vanishment" next year, etc.).

Maybe Tanigawa will be done with #10 by 2013 so we don't have to wait overlong between the English adaptations of #9 and #10... ^_^
Old 2009-04-06, 02:23   Link #1825
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I am very surprised actually at how long it has taken for the novels to finally be officially released in the states, and what's more shocking, in this rather terrible economic quagmire. I hope that Little, Brown will actually be able to garner sufficient fundings and get it out and actually turn a profit.
I wouldn't be worried about Little, Brown as a company. They are a subsidiary of the Hatchette Book Group which is one of the largest publishers in the world. The only question is if it will sell well enough for the money they are putting into Haruhi.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 09:36   Link #1826
typhonsentra

Finally found this book after a week of searching. They had it at the bottom row of "Teen Manga" way in the back of my Barnes and Noble, paperback only. Yeah.... after all the hype about the distribution of this book I'm pretty surprised and disappointed. I've been looking through several book stores for this too around the Tampa area.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 10:59   Link #1827
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Finally found this book after a week of searching. They had it at the bottom row of "Teen Manga" way in the back of my Barnes and Noble, paperback only. Yeah.... after all the hype about the distribution of this book I'm pretty surprised and disappointed. I've been looking through several book stores for this too around the Tampa area.
So that makes at least two B&Ns that only had it in paperback. Does yours have computers that can tell you where a book is in the store? I'm curious because the ones at mine gave the wrong location for both the light novel and the manga (saying they were with the manga when they were actually with the teen books).

Which reminds me, my thanks to you people. I wouldn't have thought to look in the teen section if it hadn't been discussed here.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 11:38   Link #1828
typhonsentra

Yeah, they had them all over the store. It was the new two-story one at Wiregrass.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 01:41   Link #1829
BobaLunatic

Got mine at a Borders... but it wasn't on display at all. I had to find a worker, who was able to dig it out of the stockroom. And this was a week after the release date. :|
BobaLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 02:01   Link #1830
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Got mine via Amazon a week before release date. Paid less, too.

Checked out my nearby Borders to get manga volume 2 and found a mess of the novel in paperback (which actually doesn't look quite as bad in person) in the manga section (much like the FMP! novels), but nary a hardcover in the building. Their computer didn't show any in stock, so they may have been sold out already. Neither were in the Teen section.

The nearby B&N had neither on display in either Teen Fiction, General Fiction, or the Graphic Novel section (labelled as Manga, but including some non-manga Western comics like Watchmen, which was everywhere the Twilight books weren't). Since I wasn't planning on buying another copy, I didn't bug anyone to find out if they had any more.
Old 2009-04-08, 03:45   Link #1831
Solachinx
is a myth

^ I had to order my hardcopy from BAM, I think it's because they only printed 10K copies.
Old 2009-04-13, 18:21   Link #1832
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
^ I had to order my hardcopy from BAM, I think it's because they only printed 10K copies.
I didn't realize they were limited edition, they don't have a number on them. Guess I'm glad I got mine early then
Old 2009-04-13, 18:44   Link #1833
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
I didn't realize they were limited edition, they don't have a number on them. Guess I'm glad I got mine early then
It should be noted that Haruhi DVD vol 1 LE was a 20k print run and didn't even sell through 10k copies in the first 4 months.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 20:05   Link #1834
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... I didn't realize the hardback translations were a "limited edition". Guess I'll take better care of mine....
Old 2009-04-14, 22:20   Link #1835
orangejuicetang

same. I just ordered the first haruhi novel I saw from amazon. When it came, I was slightly disappointed it wasn't paperback, but than I noticed on the back it said "This exclusive hardcover collector's edition of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is presented using the original cover art from illustrator Noizi Ito as it appeared in the Japanese edition of the novel, making it the perfect addition to any Haruhi fan's personal library" idk, when I read that I thought that all of the Haruhi light novels would have that cover. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the novel even though I already read the translations before. Really rekindled my interest in Haruhi. If Season 2 is actually released soon, they couldn't have picked a better time for this novel to get here for me.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 04:32   Link #1836
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

I've bought the first 2 volumes of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Manga, hated having to wait a few weeks for the 2nd volume which I have started reading this week.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 15:07   Link #1837
ReneeBurossamu

*insert random discussion*

... I'm not really sure if this is the right place for it, (lol and I've been a part of here for a while.)
Does anyone want to analyze Yuki's story in "Chief Editor? Straight Ahead!"?
Even while I was reading it, I was a bit creeped by the meaning of the "Man sitting on the coffin" and the "Ghost girl".
ReneeBurossamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 15:12   Link #1838
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
I do! Mostly because I'm bored and avoiding homework, but oh well. Also, I'm pretty sure that this would be the right place for that discussion, because the Editor in Chief story was in the novels.

...Wow, I bet no one would ever guess that!
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 15:26   Link #1839
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
*insert random discussion*

... I'm not really sure if this is the right place for it, (lol and I've been a part of here for a while.)
Even while I was reading it, I was a bit creeped by the meaning of the "Man sitting on the coffin" and the "Ghost girl".
Not just the "man sitting on the coffin", but the "smiling man sitting on the coffin".

A lot of people think it represents Kyon, but the use of "smiling" makes me think that it's Koizumi.

The "ghost girl" could either be Haruhi, Mikuru, Ryoko, or Emiri, more than likely the last two, given that the short story suggests that those without names are 'ghosts', and none of the interfaces had names upon coming to Earth. Maybe.

The first two parts I felt were fairly straightforward... it's only the last part that gets confusing.

The 'coffin' could be the Data Overmind... but then it would make more sense that it would be Kyon sitting on the coffin... but since when is Kyon identified by his smile?

And does Tanigawa put as much thought into his stories as we do?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 15:51   Link #1840
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

The first two parts I felt were fairly straightforward... it's only the last part that gets confusing.
The last part has enough confusing stuff to make up for the first two parts, so it's all fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
The 'coffin' could be the Data Overmind... but then it would make more sense that it would be Kyon sitting on the coffin... but since when is Kyon identified by his smile?
Never.

DAMN YUKI AND HER METAPHORS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
And does Tanigawa put as much thought into his stories as we do?
No.

I mean, he obviously puts some thought into the story, but he's not exactly in the same position as the fans of the series. In the absence of any new episodes airing at the moment or any new novels coming out, all we can do is twiddle our thumbs or speculate like there's no tomorrow.

Last edited by wittyusername; 2009-04-26 at 16:09.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga