AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-28, 01:24   Link #41
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have a number of great OCs (all kemonomimis). I can't draw, though. Still, they make me very happy.
Old 2012-03-28, 04:08   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Hmmm, I have this running notion that is a blender of Rock Band and anime where an all girl hard rock band loses a member (too drunk, undependable, whatever). Via "plot device" (e.g. member caught in the rain in concert garb rescued by guy with big umbrella), it turns out he can take the spot as he's a former member of another band himself. The dilemma of course, is that it was an all-girl pop rock group formerly. He takes the group in harder, edgier directions and there's the obligatory sexual tension.

Characters:
Spoiler for character descriptions obsolete, see album link below:

Of course, the drunk undependable is still around and sometimes still stands in for a session --- a frequently drunk out-of-her-mind flaming red-head whose theme color is green garb irish style. She'd just as soon start a bar fight as play music.

And now I've basically described my Rock Band team but with a bit of backstory, whee.
^ Someone needs to fund this, NOW.
Video capture equipment in place, I snapped some pics of my "self-designed anime characters" in Rock Band (for Detective-San's amusement and others), I don't draw well but I love character design.

Album of pics - http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=3671
Oh, I forgot to add a pic or two of the "drunken ex-member".. will add her later.

Photos of what my anime band might look like (courtesy rock band and some video captures)

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-06-29 at 16:03. Reason: REPLACED the crappy cellphone pics with decent images, updated notes
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 12:44   Link #43
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, I have this running notion that is a blender of Rock Band and anime where an all girl hard rock band loses a member (too drunk, undependable, whatever). Via "plot device" (member caught in the rain in concert garb rescued by guy with big umbrella), it turns out he can take the spot as he's a former member of another band himself. The dilemma of course, is that it was an all-girl group formerly.

And now I've basically described my Rock Band virtual group but with a bit of backstory, whee. I don't have the xbox hooked up near any machine with a tuner or I'd capture a picture of them.
I have had a dream about an anime that is almost close to your idea.

However, the key difference is that it is a mahou shoujo anime. A shoutout to magical girls of old like Creamy Mami and Magical Emi. Five girls, all aspiring musicians, about 12 y/o. The leader is a vocalist, absolute fan of Freddie Mercury. The second is the guitarist, whose inspirations are Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani. The third is the bassist, her hero being James Entwistle. The third is a half-scandinavian girl, absolute fan of Hellhammer, as you can guess she is the drummer. The last one is a keyboardist, her role model is Jordan Rudess, but she can oassionally swap her keyboard for a chapman stick.

The mascott would have been a suspicious cat thing that speak with a baritone voice a la Jouji Nakata and his goal is to actually save his universe with the energy coming from the power of rock, and its fans. The arcs would have mostly been, The girls.. vs Doom Metal, ... vs Thrash Metal, .... vs Power Metal, ... vs Symphonic Metal, ... vs Punk, ....vs Psychodelic (style like The Doors or Black Angels), ...vs Black Metal, ....vs Progressive.

So yeah, it would have been mostly educational about the different genres, and show metal/rock bands battles. And the girls would have hard time to manage their normal lives (school, love interests, parents, etc..) and their lives as magical girls metal band. They would be that kind of overnight sensation and eventually fade out as their time in middle school end and graduate to reach high school. It end with them turning back to normal, but even emotionally, mentally and artistically grown. And flash years later when they enters university and reunites again, this time to make their own band. Without the help of the magical mascot.
Old 2012-03-30, 16:51   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I have had a dream about an anime that is almost close to your idea.

However, the key difference is that it is a mahou shoujo anime. A shoutout to magical girls of old like Creamy Mami and Magical Emi. Five girls, all aspiring musicians, about 12 y/o. The leader is a vocalist, absolute fan of Freddie Mercury. The second is the guitarist, whose inspirations are Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani. The third is the bassist, her hero being James Entwistle. The third is a half-scandinavian girl, absolute fan of Hellhammer, as you can guess she is the drummer. The last one is a keyboardist, her role model is Jordan Rudess, but she can oassionally swap her keyboard for a chapman stick.

The mascott would have been a suspicious cat thing that speak with a baritone voice a la Jouji Nakata and his goal is to actually save his universe with the energy coming from the power of rock, and its fans. The arcs would have mostly been, The girls.. vs Doom Metal, ... vs Thrash Metal, .... vs Power Metal, ... vs Symphonic Metal, ... vs Punk, ....vs Psychodelic (style like The Doors or Black Angels), ...vs Black Metal, ....vs Progressive.

So yeah, it would have been mostly educational about the different genres, and show metal/rock bands battles. And the girls would have hard time to manage their normal lives (school, love interests, parents, etc..) and their lives as magical girls metal band. They would be that kind of overnight sensation and eventually fade out as their time in middle school end and graduate to reach high school. It end with them turning back to normal, but even emotionally, mentally and artistically grown. And flash years later when they enters university and reunites again, this time to make their own band. Without the help of the magical mascot.
Heh, yeah, I don't claim any uniqueness/originality... I like the two ideas about using music styles as 'forms of magic' and the 'educational' handle you have.

Assuming you want to burn a few seconds of life, I added a few pics of the 5th part-time band member to my RB-anime character album. The undependable 'green celt motif' red-hair drunk with Jun's hairstyle (K-On!) -- how archetypical.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-30 at 17:24.
Old 2012-03-30, 18:31   Link #45
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

In my opinion, the designs of a character should follow the setting or the story. You can't really consider one without considering the other. That being said, I seem to like girls with short hair, girls with hime cuts, and kuuderes, so I'd probably end up including one if I were to make a character.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 12:15   Link #46
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, yeah, I don't claim any uniqueness/originality... I like the two ideas about using music styles as 'forms of magic' and the 'educational' handle you have.

Assuming you want to burn a few seconds of life, I added a few pics of the 5th part-time band member to my RB-anime character album. The undependable 'green celt motif' red-hair drunk with Jun's hairstyle (K-On!) -- how archetypical.
Well, I have laid down the characters as it is

Kanon Shiina - The vocalist
(Written as Flower + Sound)

She is obviously the lead of the story. She is energetic, friendly, optimistic and also pack a mean punch, most likely learnt from her mother, Miyuki, who used to be The Sledgehammer, a legendary delinquent.

That said, her mother have gotten her daughter when she was about 14. She decided that she'll damn have the baby and "man" up by raising her. This lead her to become estranged from her family, excepted from her twin sister (in other words, Kanon's aunt). Miyuki work two jobs to keep her household going, the first as construction worker, the second being working in a ramen shop. As for the father, Miyuki have outright told him to not come back until he have acquired some maturity. Kanon was very young when her father left. He is now in the United States.

Miyuki having converted to catholicism after her family alienated her, her daughter have grown up singing in the choir, meaning that she already have a past record as a vocalist. This is also helped by her mother bringing her into karaoke bars whenever she can.

Kanon's goals as a singer is to use her singing to eventually bring her parents, and her mother's family together; and perhaps earns enough money so her mother don't work two jobs anymore.

Kanon herself shares her last name with the vocalist Yumiko Shiina, also known as Ringo Sheena.

As a normal girl, she have shoulder lenght bronw hair, with a pair of hairpins on either sides, a hairstyle similar to Hayate Yagami from the Nanoha franchise. She have dark brown eyes.

As a magical girl, she appears to have bright red hair with golden yellow eyes, she gain the features of a girl in her early twenties and her costume varies according to the concerts. However, her outfits are mostly variations on the schoolgirl outfit theme. She is the only one that have her magical girl scepter taking a given form, while the others merge with their instruments of choice. Her magical girl scepter take the form of a bottomless microphone stand, not unlike Freddie Mercury's (I mean the microphone stand, not the scepter).

Shizuka Sawada - The bassist
(first name written as quiet summer)

Shizuka is one of the girls with a more normal background. Quiet, she serves as a foil and moral support to Kanon. She picked up bass playing the day she have seen an old VHS of the Who and fell in love with the way John Entwistle played that damn solo in 5:25. She is the voice of the reason of the group, helping to solve conflict when egos goes clashing, because it happens sometimes. Her parents own the ramen restaurant where Miyuki, Kanon's mother, works half the time she is not in construction.

Needless to say, she is Kanon's best friend since their childhood. She have a crush on the local school prince, prince in a figurative way, of course. Aforementioned popular boy is a tennis player on ace level who have once commented on Shizuka's bass skills. Whether he really means it or not doesn't matter to Shizuka, for it have given her a motivation.

As a bass player, she seeks to reach a level equal to John Entwistle and Cliff Burton.

Her last name is taken from the late Taiji Sawada, from X Japan.

As a twelve years old, her hair is dark brown tied in thick twintails, quite like Himekaidou Hatate from the Touhou shooters series.

Her magical girl transformation give her light purple hair with bright blue eyes. Her costumes usually follow a nun theme as if it matches her personality as the voice of reason of the group.

Yua Ishiwatari - The guitarist

(first name written as Bind + Love)

The tallest of the five girls, she could be seen as the token dark, tall, bishoujo. She have been the most relunctant to join the group. She indeed used to belong to a kogyalu group. While she have not adopted their fashion, she have been quite the bully, doing that kind of things to, Miki Hayashi, the would-be drummer of the group; mostly because of the latter's half-foreign blood.

It will take a fist fight and a talk with Kanon to have her join the group and take the chance to reform. Yua is the most tormented character of the group of five. She have very conflicted feelings about Miki, to the point that some in the group poked fun at her about being tsundere for a girl. But much more importantly, her family life is quite a wreck. Her mother have died while driving Yua home and Yua have the lingering feeling that her father have never forgiven her for it. This is coming from the fact that her father have stopped to take care of her since that day, spending her time after work in front of his computer, leaving Yua pretty much in her own. As a result, Yua have spent most of her free time, other than bullying people and getting in fights, playing her father's electric guitar, as he used to be a guitarist, as a mean to deal with her feelings.

In the group, she is the one who usually adopt a passive agressive, snarky, attitude. She is indeed not above making snarky comments about Kanon or any of the girls who acts a little foolish. The other girls just let it slide, in the same way friends silently accepts their worse sides.

Her goal is to reconciliate with her father and to be able to make her own sentiments about Miki clear. Yes, if you need me to spell it for you, she is a closet les.

As an ordinary girl, Yua is tall with long black hair and a set of bangs concealing her right eye. Hey eyes are dark brown, bordering on a shade of red.

She takes her last name from Daisuke Ishiwatari of Guilty Gear fame.

When transformed into a magical girl, her hair turns white. Her eyes becomes pink and her outfits follows a gothic lolita pattern.

Miki Agnetha Hayashi - The drummer

(first name written as Beautiful + Chronicle)

The drummer of the group. She is half-swede from her mother. Coming from a wealthy family, she have lived most of her childhood in Sweden before moving to Japan. She have had a hard time to get used to the place and found herself to be the target of bullying. Her outlandish appearance and her withdrawn, shy, personality have not helped and she have had little to defend herself. She have sought shelter in her musical tastes, ranging from gothic to black metal, and playing drums as a mean to let out her frustration.

Her bullying have gotten worse when Yua's group of bullies have taken on her, because this time, they have wanted to extort money. Kanon eventually put an end to it and have managed to get Miki AND Yua join her. Miki is still a little scared of Yua but seeing how the others get along well, she have been willing to socialize and open up a little. While not as outgoing as the others, Miki's drum technique helped her to provide a solid rythmic base for the band, making her a valuable asset.

Her status as a rich girl is as much a curse as a blessing. Her father expect her to take over the head of the family when the time comes, he have her life scheduled ahead, like sending her to a private boarding school in United Kingdom for financial studies. However, Miki have never been much of a financial person, this have been more the case for her younger brother, who is more willing to take the lead of the family than Miki does. Only Miki's mother have been able to see her more artistic leanings.

Her goal is to overcome her shyness, stand up to her father and tells him what she really wants and to be accepted by other people for what she is.

She have long wavy golden-yellow blond hair. She also have heterochromia, brown on the left eye and blue on the right. As a magical girl, she keeps her mismatched eyes while her hair becomes gradient, peach pink at the top then fading to her original blond hair color. Her hairstyle also change a bit, since it is tied in a low ponytail. Her magical girl costumes usually follow a french maid theme.

She is named after Yoshiki Hayashi from X Japan, and Agnetha from ABBA.

Ayumu Kajiura - The keyboard player

(first name written as Walk + Dream)

She is one of the hardest to grasp in the whole group. Many may call her a dreamer, an oddball, a trickster, Yua calls her a troll and her teachers reproaches her to have her head in the clouds. Ayumu just have happened to... tag along the group. No, seriously, they have been doing a rehearsal, only to find out that there are an extra, playing keyboard, all along. Ayumu joining the group have provided a much needed atmospheric touch to the band's music. She claims to have grown up overseas, in Austria, the land of Mozart. It's still unclear if she have made it up. However, few can deny her european influence in her music.While it is sometimes hard to talk with her and get the point across, the other girls in the band, and their mascott, can recognize that she have been able to read the melody the girls wanted to pull and give the appropriate keyboard backup. As fascinating is her mastering of the Chapman stick, that she occasionally takes when she feels that the keyboard is not enough and/or when the song needs an extra kick. Ayumu provides a counterweight to Yua's snarky and passive agressive attitude, making the latter very frustrated to the amusement of others.

Her goal is unclear to this day.

As a normal girl, she have shoulder lenght black hair and have a knack for changing hair ornaments and hats every days, for no apparent reason. Her tastes in hats can also be quite questionable. Her eyes seems to be always shut, and the few times she have opened them when she gets serious, people could see that she have hazel eyes.

As a magical girl, she gets long pink hair and a weird hat that change at every transformations. Her mahou shoujo outfit is a customized kimono.

She is named after the composer, and keyboard player, Yuki Kajiura.

As you can see, source of drama is provided in their backstories, especially Kanon's and Yua's. And you have Ayumu for silliness.

Last edited by Sheba; 2012-04-05 at 09:38. Reason: Typos, and expanding Miki's backstory
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 12:45   Link #47
sa547
*Author

If I were to design anime characters, most of them would be in the style promulgated in Satoshi Kon's films. Here's a few I made for Light & Water (a fanfic):
Quote:
Captain Tsutomo Kanzaki (CV: Jun Fukuyama): tall at 5'10", strongly-built. Wears a crew cut. Has gray eyes. He's a ringer for Sung Kang.

Doctor Natsumi Odani (CV: Ami Koshimizu): stands at 5'4". Her brown-black hair has a short bob cut. Slim. Has dark brown eyes, and sometimes she wears horn-rimmed glasses. Resembles Miki Nakatani (see Silk).

Director Shuya Hamamoto (CV: Norio Wakamoto): a little stout, and he's 5'8". Graying, thinning hair. He's like Beat Takeshi in appearance, but sterner and has this constipated look on his face.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:27   Link #48
Megajessukka

name:Shoichi Sasaki

basic traits
male, 16-17 years old, 180 cm tall, golden eyes, short purple hair, cold-hearted and non emotional.

what he would be doing
going high school

job/occupation
working for secret evil organisation as boss's right hand

dress styles
school:school uniform
work:black trench coat, black suit and sunglasses

etc
doesn't get knowing to anyone because of his job
Megajessukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 14:09   Link #49
solomon

You could go in a zillion directions with this.

All I will say is, match your design with the feel of your story. (you could go opposite for dramatic/comedic effect but be careful).

Also at least TRY to make each character immediately distinguishable from each other, not just by their hair color.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 21:34   Link #50
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Okay for some reasons I missed this thread. How could I never noticed it before? Maybe because I was too busy replying other threads before. By the way I just came up with ideas of character for my "show" in "Design your own anime/manga/light novel" thread. Now I don't have to make my own thread for this. Only main characters though, still no ideas with villains and supporting ones.

Name: Seiji Kinomoto
Hair: Dark blue, hairstyle similar Tomoya from Clannad.
Eyes: Jade green.
Height: 165 - 170 cm.
Backstory: While he is not the smartest and most popular student in his school, he's talented in kendo and archery. He actually keeping biggest secret from his teachers and every students in his school except very few of them: he is married to Mari Kagami/Kinomoto, the smartest and one of the most popular student in that school. He love to spend his after school time with his sister or his wife, if he can get close to her. Like most boys in his age, he also a closeted pervert, with some ero-games and h-mangas in his bedroom. He always dreaming of "graduating from his virginity" with his wife but due to some rules set by parents of both sides, he cannot live under same roof with his wife, let alone having sex with her. His favorite food is curry, especially if it made by his sister. He also seems to have sister-complex though it is quite healthy in most standards(maybe he just a caring brother after all).

Name: Mari Kagami/Kinomoto
Hair: Dark green, shoulder length, hairstyle similar Chifuyu Orimura in Infinite Stratos
Eyes: Light turquoise
Height: 168 cm
Backstory: Being the smartest and most popular student in her school, she is constantly worshiped by boys and girls around and in fact its quite difficult to her to escape from some unwanted attention. Like her husband, she also need to hide her marriage from almost everyone there and because of that she still using "Kagami" as surname despite her married status. She excels in almost every subjects and sports but her personal favorites are judo and kendo. She was told from her father that she can only sleep with her husband if he officially defeated her in formal matches, in archery, judo and kendo. She was already beaten in archery to him before and only judo and kendo left. However she often sneak into Seiji's room in order to have sex with him but usually failed as caught by Seiji's sister, mother, got chased by some angry dogs, etc. What she really kept secret from her husband is she already fell in love with him long time ago, even before they were married but no way or confessing it.

Name: Tsubomi Kinomoto
Hair: Candy pink, waist length, twintails, similar to Sora Kasugano from Yosuga no Sora
Eyes: Jade green
Height: 160 cm
Backstory: Seiji's little sister who close to him. She enrolled to an all-girl Roman Catholic school(she and rest of her family and Mari are Roman Catholics). Because of that she had no boyfriend and never thought of having one, yet. While she quite proud to have someone like Mari as her sister-in-law but she also jealous that Mari replaced her as Seiji's "favorite girl". She also addicted to sweet foods and never seems to afraid having diabetes or tooth decay. She also love to cook especially for her brother. Like her brother, she also talented in kendo and archery. She also loves to play video games and spent lots of money for home console(which a bribe from Mari's family) and any video game arcades she can find. She also "accidentally" barge in her brother's room if Mari somewhat managed to get inside there, thus preventing any sexual activities from them.

Name: Daisuke Kinomoto
Hair: Grey, light blue when younger
Eyes: Jade green
Height: 170 cm
Backstory: Father to Seiji and Tsubomi and father-in-law to Mari. At least more than 20 years ago when he and Mari's father are teenagers, He challenged Mari's father for a kendo duel. If Mari's father wins, he had to pay all his debt but if Daisuke himself wins, Mari's father had to marry his future daughter to Daisuke's first born son. He won and as a revenge, Mari's father ordered his daughter not to let Seiji sleep with her until he formally defeated her. At most of the show he is isn't present due to his work in overseas, currently in Southeast Asian countries.

Name: Hideyoshi Sasaki
Hair: Dark red or black, crew-cut.
Eyes: Black but can turn red when angry.
Height: 180 cm
Backstory: Main antagonist of the show and also president of the student council at Seiji and Mari's school. Almost every week he sends leader of a club in the school to fight Seiji and Tsubomi. He also one of the very few people who aware of Seiji and Mari's marriage and is unhappy with that fact because he is Mari's childhood friend. As all of the leaders of clubs are defeated, he himself challenge Seiji for a duel, both kendo and unarmed combat.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 01:13   Link #51
Fuyuno
Banned

@NK_500: I hate to give some bad comments but I think you can name them better. For example "Hideyoshi Sasaki" sounded too generic. I think you should do better research in Japanese naming convention. By the way your character backstories sounded like they likely belong in a harem rom-com than an action show.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 05:02   Link #52
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
IEssentially, if you don't know how to draw an anime character, how would you go about learning to do so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
OMG! And this must be how traps came to be!!!!

===

Essentially, how to go from a blank sheet of white paper... to this:

Spoiler:
  1. trace a photo or drawing for the pose and basic proportions
  2. observe more photos, drawings, people for the details
  3. sketch them into the basic line-art
  4. (optionally) pick the COMPLETE colour palette BEFORE applying
  5. decide the lightning source, and use yourself and a mirror to add highlights and shadows

With practice motor skills and a personalized style develops and you'll need less examples to get better results.

That's what I do when I am bored or on vacation, in order to expand my favorite manga and/or adultify characters I like

Yukari (expanded from a short chapter I read with her about 5 years ago): 20 years old, acting student: white shirt, knee-length skirt, short black hair with a side braid, no jewelry. Very timid and submissive, tries avoid attention, but having extra large tits fails miserably both at averting it but also handling it...

Himeko: high school student, undeveloped, school uniform x glasses x braids or one piece very revealing dresses with contact lenses, and leaving her curly hair free. Despite being a model student, student she is working as a VA for questionable productions, and hopes to break into more mainstream using morally questionable methods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
slightly off topic but related question.

what kind of villain can you make using the DON'T form Eviloverlord.com? And what kind of story would result?
Yozora (or something similar using the kanji for night): tall, athletic, hime-cut, daughter of a rich and prestigious family studying management specialized in art and media. She hates her father is very reactionary and is using ANY means necessary to build up a network of contacts from ALL walks of life...

Now for more details, this is not an appropriate forum to write them

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-05-26 at 05:33. Reason: characters
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 16:57   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

For those who found my anime band idea about a 20-something aged pop rock band amusing, I've overhauled the album -- all new pics and descriptions (mouseover for caption amusement)
http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=3671

Photos of what my anime band might look like (courtesy rock band and some video captures)

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-06-30 at 01:04.
Old 2012-07-01, 02:00   Link #54
MasatoMomota
♱ ĄήĨɱҾ Ҳ Ғдл ♱

Send a message via AIM to MasatoMomota
This is actually a really good question for a topic. I didn't read anyone's post except for a couple, so I'm not sure if mine comes close to any..

I tried to draw my own, but I'm not so good.. My character may be very original, but he's my character and I love him.

My character would of course be named Masato Momota, I picked the name for my character and I use it as a user name cuz of that.

The character would have medium length hair that is the color of blood. He is pure evil, but has his moments of good. Uses daggers, but often uses a sword created from magic. Has a scar down his right eye where he has lost his eye. Often wears a priest outfit to mislead others and he's sorta tall, but not too tall.