AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-22, 15:06   Link #621
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

lol @ looking stuff up in Wikipedia
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 15:14   Link #622
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
lol @ looking stuff up in Wikipedia
Only to provide links for my post. I already knew what the spacecraft were.

Hayabusa is especially easy to recognize, given how nuts the Japanese are about it. There was even a poster of Hayabusa on the wall of the club room in Hyouka.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 15:17   Link #623
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Only to provide links for my post. I already knew what the spacecraft were.
I think his comment referred to what Jennifer said in the episode. She told that kid to just look it up on wikipedia after he got on her nerves
Old 2012-10-22, 15:21   Link #624
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

^exactly my point
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 15:49   Link #625
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Oh, okay. Apologies for my confusion.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 20:34   Link #626
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just thought I would post this and let everyone give their opinions. Here is a chart of ratings for Uchuu Kyoudai taken from the Geocities pages. Remember that this show airs at 7am on Sundays, so it has better viewership than late-night anime.

The show started off strong and held its own for most of the spring and summer. However the ratings fell from one of the highest values, a 3.8 on August 5th, to 2.3 a week later. While viewing has recovered a little, the average rating for Uchuu Kyoudai now looks to be down half-a-point or so, from 3.1 before 8/12 to 2.6 afterwards. The August 5th and 12th episodes were the last two in the containment chamber; the first ended with noodle-making and the latter with rock-paper-scissors.

Now it's quite possible all of this has to do with the rhythms of the Japanese year with which I am entirely unfamiliar. Or perhaps the show lost viewers when it took so long for the characters to get out of the box? Other speculations?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-10-24 at 21:08.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 23:37   Link #627
Rahan

The first low rating (april 29) was due to Showa Day and the start of the Goldne Week.

I think there was Tachibana on August 12. Anyways, all the ratings were bad that week, not only Uchuu Kyoudai's.

There were lots of holidays recently : There was Respect for the Aged on Sept 17 (which means a 3 days week end, not sure how it impacts the saturday ratings), the Autumn Equinox on Sept 22) and Health and Sports Day on October 8 (again meaning a 3 days week end)

Now that school breaks are over and holidays will become rarer (although there are still 3 until the end of the year), the ratings should stabilize in the lower 3
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 02:21   Link #628
cyth
Banned

One Mizoguchi Yamato was spotted at the launch event.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 08:23   Link #629
ookamigirl

This one had a lot of Apo in it.
That dog sure caused a lot of related problems.
Mutta met an interesting old man.
At least he resolved the Apo problem at the same time.
Finally we got to see the liftoff ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 08:27   Link #630
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Deneil Young, huh. Maybe we'll meet Crosby Stills in the next episode.
Old 2012-10-28, 10:03   Link #631
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Another slow yet very enjoyable episode. Mutta met quite the eccentric old man. I found it funny that Apo chased after hot dogs rather than his master Hibito, unlike "what's his name" suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
One Mizoguchi Yamato was spotted at the launch event.
He was actually in the previous episode. So his previous absence did not mean anything after all. I wonder when we'll know the result of the last exam...
Old 2012-11-04, 05:41   Link #632
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's a shame this show has almost no English-language following, because it's on a roll right now - absolutely emotionally profound. And it's quite popular here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 08:54   Link #633
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not that the Hibito going to space stuff hasn't been great, but kind of hoping we get the results from the exam sooner or later. If Mutta passing wasn't a foregone conclusion I might be anxious after waiting this many episodes since the interview.

Some great emotional moments though. Hibito having worked so hard to get to space and now there he is. He's really done it.
Old 2012-11-04, 09:17   Link #634
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had never thought about it until now, but it's true a trip to space is incredibly short. It only takes 30 seconds to leave earth. It's over before it even starts.

The pace of the episode was quite slow once again, and yet it doesn't feel that way at all. In fact, the episodes always feel shorter than they are. This anime just has it. It's so full of heart. The flashback to the brothers' childhood was endearing as usual. Hibito was definitely not joking when he claimed he's been waiting twenty years for this. It's always been his dearest dream.
Old 2012-11-04, 09:44   Link #635
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've got a few questions today.

Was the repeated focus on the knotted rope supposed to symbolize the tie between Mutta and Hibito? The director seemed obsessed with this image.

Does anyone think astronauts detach the booster stage by pushing a button? Wouldn't that all be automated to ensure precision timing? I can imagine a manual override, but I'd think the norm is for it to be handled by the on-board computer.

Who do you suppose was taking those shots of the two spacecraft docking that appeared on the big board at NASA? Aliens? Maybe they manuevered a spy satellite alongside?

Oh, and might I suggest to the folks at A-1 that they let the illustrators who draw the skies in this show work on Shin Sekai Yori, please? Last week's episode of that series had some of the worst sky illustrations I've seen in quite some time.

I suspect the floating pen was another mini-tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey, though the Parker pen in the original has been replaced by what looks more like a Japanese model.

I miss Serika. She's gotten very little screen time in the past few weeks. I notice we no longer have scenes of Mutta fantasizing over her (with or without clothes) like we did at the outset.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:43   Link #636
ookamigirl

So the launch finally happened.
Hibito finally made it into space.
Childhood flashbacks were nice.
New info about those brothers is always good.
Things are getting a bit interesting again...

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 13:29   Link #637
Utsuro no Hako

Let's see, a trip to the moon is about three days or so. I figure Hibito should get there around Christmas.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 11:02   Link #638
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've got a few questions today.

Was the repeated focus on the knotted rope supposed to symbolize the tie between Mutta and Hibito? The director seemed obsessed with this image.
Nice association. I thought the image connoted perhaps the danger implicit in spaceflight, or the tenuous strength humans add to the machines they ride into space. The rope makes up for the missing guardrail, but remains precarious, fluttering in the wind, and so reminding us of danger. Still, when the launch blast hits, it holds, indicating the strength the rope adds to the steel and concrete around it, a metaphor for the human addition to the technology that blasts people into space.

I wonder about the location itself--why put Mutta amid the abandoned ruins of an earlier generation of space flight?

Quote:
I suspect the floating pen was another mini-tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey, though the Parker pen in the original has been replaced by what looks more like a Japanese model.
Nice catch.

Quote:
I miss Serika. She's gotten very little screen time in the past few weeks. I notice we no longer have scenes of Mutta fantasizing over her (with or without clothes) like we did at the outset.
I do too! But the show's focus is elsewhere, and really on Mutta's reflections on Hibito's achievement. On some level spaceflight is a dance with death, which can only be a solitary activity, all the associated teamwork and JAXA notwithstanding. Mutta's inwardness at this point is the proper correlative to the risk Hibito is experiencing. I don't know that Serika can ever be more than secondary to the show's basic romance with danger.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:44   Link #639
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My favorite part of episode 31 is simply the first 3 minutes. The old guard counts below when the shockwave hits their building while Mutta, the new generation, stands in complete awe as he feels the raw power of the machines that will bring the next set of space explorers into the vast reaches of outer space. He is completely overwhelmed as the blast propels his little brother into the dream they both share.

Even then, even overwhelmed. he manages to give Hibito a brofist. If that isn't what brotherhood is, I don't know what is.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 10:15   Link #640
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Azuma is definitely a great guy. Contrary to what he told Mutta, it appears he did basically let Hibito be the first Japanese on the moon because he didn't care about the fame. He was in fact quite annoyed by it. It seems he wants to live a quiet life.

Next week, we'll finally get to know the result of the final exam. Will Mizoguchi pass?

Tags
science fiction, seinen