AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-04-09, 14:21   Link #61
Erroll

I didn't really like the first volume of the manga either but decided to give volume 2 a try because I like HanaKimi so much. Boy am I glad I did. I think the manga really hits it's stride in volume 2 when the twins strut their stuff.

Anyway, there's one reaction to this anime that's really confused me. The impression that it's some big parody poking fun at fangirls and their behavior. I didn't get this impression from Ouran at all.

I thought it was more of the same social commentary that all the rest of the humor of the show springs from. Mainly, that these rich guys have created this wacky host club because they have no idea what a real host club is like. Just like they have no concept of instant coffee. Of course, the rich girls eat it up because it's cute guys serving them. I don't see how the girls' reactions are any different from fanboys reactions to the myriad of harem anime series that cater to every fanboy fetish ever known to human kind.

Nobody points at a harem show and goes "Look, it's making fun of fanboys because it offers every different type of girl a guy would be interested in." The fact that the host club is so blantant about naming the different types again just seem to demonstrate Tamaki's naivety about the whole thing. If it's making fun of anything, it seems to be making fun of rich people and their behaviors. The whole rich vs poor conflict is the central theme of the story.

Spoiler:

But hey, if guys will watch Ouran cause they think they can pick fun at fangirls more power to 'em. More viewers for the show is not a bad thing and they'll get taste of the hilarity that fangirls experience everytime a new fanboy harem anime comes out.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 14:38   Link #62
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

I think the parody aspect comes from the rich girls all melting for the harem boys. For me at least, their reactions are priceless. The social commentary about wealthy society is there and funny, but that's not all there is to it.

I considered Love Hina a parody for a long time before I saw the rest of Ken Akamatsu's work and was like "Wait, he really is into this..." I still think it is in a sense, but it is more like it doesn't take itself seriously, which becomes a strength.

If the first episode is any judge (and it usually isn't, but it's all we have), this doesn't take itself seriously either and is very self mocking. From the little beeping arrow that points at the plot device vase, to the banners showing everyone's title, to Haruhi's by-the-numbers retelling of her tragic past, this show screams parody.

In short, I think it is poking fun at the disjoined view of reality that both the wealthy and fan(girls/boys) have.
riznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 15:14   Link #63
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I tend to agree - while there is an "inside" theme of fangirls and their obsessions, I think the heart of the satire is the rich vs. poor theme, and how isolated the wealthy are from reality.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 16:44   Link #64
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
o_O After watching the OP I was worried it was Yaoi, so I gave it a chance, cause its Bones...

THANK GOD for the ending. I liked this show and hope this will be successful.

Lol @ Hescafe.

Spoiler:

________
NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:14.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 17:07   Link #65
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
o_O After watching the OP I was worried it was Yaoi, so I gave it a chance, cause its Bones...

THANK GOD for the ending. I liked this show and hope this will be successful.

Lol @ Hescafe.

Spoiler:
Hehe and speaking of lightbulbs, check the brand - Mational.

But what takes the cake is what's written on the top of Haruhi's ID card:

Spoiler:
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:44   Link #66
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Shades of Victor, Victoria here

A woman playing a man playing a woman.

Sakamoto Mayaa is not as good as the Captain but she nailed Haruhi in the internal monologues. Think of it as a running commentary for someone stepping into an alien world: a tomboy into a realm of rich bishi's with a lot of free time
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:44   Link #67
Qbi Sannin

Did ANYONE else here get the Shizuru vibe from the girl who threw haru's backpack out? For an odd minute or two she reminded me of Shizuru Viola from Mai Otome.
Qbi Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:48   Link #68
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbi Sannin
Did ANYONE else here get the Shizuru vibe from the girl who threw haru's backpack out? For an odd minute or two she reminded me of Shizuru Viola from Mai Otome.
Nope. Shizuru is less pretentious.

I am more inclined to link her to Flay from Gundam Seed.
Old 2006-04-09, 21:02   Link #69
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant

ZOMG! You're not hte only one! You know that scene where Haruhi says "jealousy" and there's a shot of the girl frozen and we see one of her eyes open? The very first thing that came to my mind was "Fllay".

Same kind of reaction, same kind of bitchiness, AND the same hair colour!! Even eye colour?!
Old 2006-04-09, 21:23   Link #70
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Ayanokouji's dress is similar too. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 21:48   Link #71
Qbi Sannin

Ahh..I dont watch Gundam so I'd have limited sources to compare from.
Qbi Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 23:08   Link #72
wao
OK.

One serving of Fllay Allster... Coming right up.

What the - so they do have the same eye colour... @_@
Old 2006-04-10, 00:17   Link #73
ztella
Haruhi's Hair Worshipper

Send a message via AIM to ztella Send a message via MSN to ztella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbi Sannin
Ahh..I dont watch Gundam so I'd have limited sources to compare from.
In the first few episodes of GS she firmly establishes herself as one of the biggest cry baby/beatch ever.

I'm hoping that Ayanokoji doesn't make many more appearances because of this. (Of course she will though...)
ztella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 01:18   Link #74
molitar

This was just too damn funny.. The blatant arrows! The yaoi (and I usually won't have anything to do with Yaoi and the only other one I Have watched with it in it is Gravitation) but it was humorously done, each member representing a different type of stereotype, the mistaken gender, the lightbulbs as realization happened, and how the ones that realized never told the others! It was just too damn hilarious and can't wait to see more of this one.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 02:30   Link #75
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant

YES YES!!!!! Thats it...
________
Herbal vaporizers

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:15.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 03:06   Link #76
igalsfy

the first episoed of this anime was fun. i wonder where the story plot will go (if they really put one) but so far, it's fun, well-drawn and the characters, even if they're somewhat stereotyped, are interesting.
igalsfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 03:17   Link #77
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

The Host club stereotype?

Haruhi is everything a girl would ever want in a gay best friend. The sort of safe male relationship where you can tell them all the embarressing things and not have used on you afterwards. They are also not afraid to tell it in the face whatever they are doing is wrong. Add in the sob story and you not only get Kawaii, you also have kawai-sou.

Too bad about the gender part
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 03:38   Link #78
tritoch

I am hooked!!

Kinda reminds me of Gokujou Seitokai with a love story. =)

Haruhi is soooooooooooooo adorable male or female..

Im looking forward for this show and no.. plot doesnt need to be special as long as Haruhi and whoever gets paired with her is given screen time.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 10:06   Link #79
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

first glance at the manga in comics shop, i presume it as a manga that show guys pleasing girl(host club manga..) don prefer to read this kind of manga.

lucky i downloaded the anime..because i do like anime that girls disguise themself as a guy or they have the appearance that have the feature of a charming guy
after watching this anime..i went back to the comics shop and went ahead to get 7 vol..

its hilarious and comedic for the character development , they changed some plots from the anime so as to make it more entertaining ^^

especially those bulb, i rewatched the anime once more than i came to realise that what was that all about XD...(how slow can i be..)

overall- great anime =D
friendshipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 11:50   Link #80
Mangaka-chan

Very interesting anime adoptation, better than the manga IMO
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote