AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 31 18.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 31.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 51 30.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 14.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.21%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.61%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-25, 14:42   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll [2006 TV ep. 13]

Welcome to the discussion thread for Suzumiya Haruhi (also know as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Novel or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Novel / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=Click Here For Spoiler]Nobody ever clicks these spoiler examples.[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for Click Here For Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-25, 14:44   Link #2
arcticphoenix16

time for some ESP action! go go bent spoon
Old 2006-06-25, 14:49   Link #3
Biswa

But this is going to be the actual episode 5, right? I wonder if there'll be some important stuff plot wise then... but it feels kind of disappointing because we already know how much development there has been. Then again, i can't really tell.

P.S. I like the spoiler tag.
Old 2006-06-25, 15:03   Link #4
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

This episode follows the novel closely...
I like the shinjin part. Some people might find this episode to be conversation-heavy but it's vital as this actually explains the organization's part in the whole picture surrounding Haruhi.
Haruhi's "soliloquy" takes quite a life of its own with the calculator crunch... I am really impressed.
The train scene for some reason brings me back to Tokyo Love Story. The Dopplar Effect of the train passing by though slips out of my mind.

Next episode will continue onward with Yuutsu.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-25, 15:18   Link #5
Prodigious
Level 5 Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to Prodigious Send a message via MSN to Prodigious Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigious
Little Haruhi is officially the cutest thing in animation history.
Old 2006-06-25, 15:23   Link #6
Omniscient

Episode 13 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-25, 15:23   Link #7
rain...

Quite a heavy dialogue episode this time. I was wondering why there were so few screens in the 2ch thread. Anyway, a big question about how Haruhi's current personality came about is explained, The rest of the episode focuses on Itsuki explaining to Kyon how his organization deals with the Suzumiya situation at the moment.

The only action in the episode is the battle between Itsuki/colleagues and 'the big guy'. I thought the battle was too short at first. After rewatching it still felt a bit short, but it does show how fast paced the battle was. I really wanted some detailed ESP action! ...sorry no bent spoons, just some shots Itsuki flying about :P

Wah! No Tsuruya! And to mention, no Mikuru too! well, except the preview... Yuki only made a short 30 sec appearance...
Old 2006-06-25, 15:29   Link #8
monster

Wait, next episode is the last episode already?
Old 2006-06-25, 15:48   Link #9
Pakxenon
popcorn

I post teh comment I made on RC:

Little Haruhi is sooo cute!!!!!!!! I loved the piano piece that went with it.

And that battle with the Shinjin was quite fast, just like it is in the novel. I find the novel more thrilling to read than this episode, including better scenes of Haruhi’s dialogue and Itsuki’s dialogue - it was suppose to be after sunset in the book for me, which felt better than sunset.

The animation on the highway is superb, however, but it’s kinda paradoxal how short the aftertrip was, and I’ve never seen Japanese highways, so I don’t know if they look like that or not. Reminds me of The Matrix.
Old 2006-06-25, 16:29   Link #10
The Sphinx

It's surprising how little actually happens in this episode. We do get a couple major developments in the plot (it's the first time we hear Haruhi try to explain her attitude about life to Kyon, and we also see the Sealed Realities and a demonstration of Itsuki's power). The apartment building stuff is pretty slow- Haruhi is pushy and obsessive, Kyon suffers silently. It doesn't help that we already know Haruhi's search for Asakura is pointless. They might have been able to cut out this portion of the story entirely.

Haruhi's backstory is very well done. KyoAni has done a good job of illustrating abstract ideas, starting with Yuki's explanation of the Integrated Data Sentient Entity in (chronological) Episode 3. I liked seeing little Haruhi juxtaposed against the hundreds and thousands of people walking past the screen. I wish we could have seen her family...

Unfortunately the anime seems to grind to a halt whenever Itsuki opens his mouth. He had a lot to explain in the car, it's important to the story, but it just isn't engaging. This is the first time I've ever wanted to fast-forward through part of the show (that includes the three minutes of Yuki reading in Episode 9- the voice performances in that scene kept me interested). It didn't help that I already knew what Itsuki was going to say. People who haven't read the novels may be more interested.

The Sealed Reality portion was well done, it matched up almost exactly with the way I had pictured it. I wish they could have made it last a little longer, spent a little more time showing the destructive powers of the shinjin, but what they did gets the job done. It's strange that they waited so long to really explain Sealed Reality and the shinjin considering how important they are to explain the motivations of everyone except Haruhi.

Only one more week to go. Sorta sad to see the end.
Old 2006-06-25, 16:43   Link #11
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigious

I officialy promote you to level 50 and give you 'Genius' title. Over and out.
Old 2006-06-25, 16:45   Link #12
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm going to have to wait for the sub to really understand all the talk, but one thing is for sure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigious
Not just little Haruhi, but that whole sequence, with Hirano Aya's wonderful, wonderful voice work, just ripped my heart out. I found big Haruhi pretty attractive, too.

I thought KyoAni kept the taxi ride interesting with the amazing stuff they did through the taxi windows: the artful sunset sky and buildings behind and to the right of Kyon; the concrete posts flipping by; the amaaazing view through the windows of the truck behind and to Itsuki's right; the slight distortion of the reflection of Itsuki's profile in the window; the five layers of buildings they had going by at one point; the perfect slow pacing of things passing by the window.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-06-25, 16:54   Link #13
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I'm going to have to wait for the sub to really understand all the talk, but one thing is for sure:Not just little Haruhi, but that whole sequence, with Hirano Aya's wonderful, wonderful voice work, just ripped my heart out. I found big Haruhi pretty attractive, too.
It took you 13 freaking episodes to notice that?

Anyway, the episode was quite a disappointment; simply because it wasn't engaging enough for me. True, these are crucial plot points and will be even more important for the final episode... but, well. Personally, it's the episode lowest in entertainment in this whole series, for me. I don't know if it could have been done much better, simply because the subject matter is in itself not arousing material.

Oh yes, the discordant strings during the conversation with the oyaji in Asukara's apartment building.. was horrible. Sure, you can pull it off when very appropriately used in context with a clever performance, but that was just.. bad. It just deflated any momentum and created the wrong sort of atmosphere.

However though, I have MASSIVE expectations for the final episode. Onwards!
Old 2006-06-25, 17:01   Link #14
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
when was it released ?
perhaps a little question
from which chapter is this ep ?
Old 2006-06-25, 17:03   Link #15
dxgarten

Episode 13 screencaps and review

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-25, 17:05   Link #16
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Very "talky" episode, like episode 5. Not much happening, but lots of explanations.

After a run-through, I didn't notice any hidden surprises or Easter Eggs in the episode, so I suppose I'll just fast-forward through them when I rewatch the series. It's the sort of episode you watch once to get the information, and then never have to watch again for the interesting scenes. (Well, some scenes might be worth rewatching: Little Haruhi and Monkeyball Itsuki, for example, but not much else.)

Not saying that it's bad. It's necessary, and I accept the necessity, but it's still not a very ZOMG-AMAZING episode.
Old 2006-06-25, 17:21   Link #17
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm actually Yuuutsu VI is my 2nd favourite chapter in Yuuutsu, With Yuuutsu VII being my favourite and Yuuutsu 5 being my 3rd. I felt really connected with this chapter when I read it.

This chapter is really long, I know that, but the anime really left out alot of details this time. Though the most important parts, Haruhi telling her past and Itsuki's conversation with Kyon are very well presented.

A large chunk of the novel wasn't included after they went into the closed space. They skipped alot of Kyon's observations, since they didn't show how they got onto the roof of the building etc. They didn't present the silence and lifelessness of the closed space well enough. Because of this, the effects which should happen when the close space collapses didn't deliver itself. It was supposed to appear really loud and sudden because of the silence before. Also Imouto-chan is supposed to appear as well.

This chapter was really intriguing for me because it ponders existance and reality. I was drawn by Haruhi's words and Itsuki bringing up the Anthropic Principle and why things are happening around Haruhi, Kyon's importance etc. Then, the concept of a parallel dimension and how it is linked to Haruhi was really amazing when I first read about it, I was really blown away by it.

I wanted to give this episode a 7 and maybe even 6, but I'll leave it at 8, simply because I loved this chapter.

Bonus: Haruhi isolated herself in the credits and also getting really frustrated with Kyon in the preview, really builds up for the last episode.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-25, 18:01   Link #18
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Kinda calm before the storm. Still very good. Now if only I could understand Japanese.
Old 2006-06-25, 18:08   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is the first series in quite a while for me that the subbers maintained such a tight release schedule so that the sub watchers were never very far behind the raw appreciaters. They deserve as many gold stars and "free intarwebs" as I can find.
Old 2006-06-25, 19:19   Link #20
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Agreed. Afk especially. Sure they occasionally have a ? instead of a period, an ing instead of ed and a missing s here and there (stuff you notice watching the tenth time through) but for, nearly on the dot, two days work each time I am handily and overwhelmingly impressed. *applauds the subbing efforts thus far*

Kudos should also go to the novel translators.
Closed Thread