AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

View Poll Results: True Tears - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 95 61.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 11.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.65%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-20, 21:08   Link #201
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Some of you are making it sound like these characters are like 13 year olds.. when they're like 16 ~ 18 year olds... Teens have sex, thats a fact of life.
Old 2008-02-20, 22:35   Link #202
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Some of you are making it sound like these characters are like 13 year olds.. when they're like 16 ~ 18 year olds... Teens have sex, thats a fact of life.
and sadly...13 year olds have sex *cringes and dies inside*

I'm still going to keep with my theory of shin having no sex till it happens though. he doesn't seem like the type that would even go for pity sex. but that's just what i think. it might happen, I'll just have to keep watching to find out.

もいちど。。。
Old 2008-02-20, 23:22   Link #203
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So finally freed the time to watch 6 and 7 in one quick blitz.

But I do have a bad feeling for Noe in the future. You get together with the lead at this point and its just not a safe place to be. Not sure if you call it a standard progression, but just feels like that's the way things will turn out. Which is just sad since it will lead to Noe being really broken up. Then they can have her cry and thus your 'True Tears' title.

Of course possible that along the way Shin could get closer to Noe and if a chance to be with Hiromi is presented could come to the realization that Hiromi isn't who he wants to be with. At least not going to surprise me if there is a breakup (be it permanent or temporary) with Shin and Noe.

Don't see much of a bright future with Jun and Hiromi. What guy, just walk around and announce things rather than having any question attached. Do wonder what that guy is thinking. Wonder if he has picked up on things with Hiromi and Shin. Since if he did why push the dating Noe thing? If it doesn't work out she is just going to be really upset.

Anyways some good lighthearted moments. Like when Shin approached Noe with the lunch topic and she made a break for it. The whole chasing scene was just good laughs for me. Plus that incredibly long blush from Noe was pretty nice as well.
Old 2008-02-21, 08:30   Link #204
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
So finally freed the time to watch 6 and 7 in one quick blitz.

But I do have a bad feeling for Noe in the future. You get together with the lead at this point and its just not a safe place to be. Not sure if you call it a standard progression, but just feels like that's the way things will turn out. Which is just sad since it will lead to Noe being really broken up. Then they can have her cry and thus your 'True Tears' title.

Of course possible that along the way Shin could get closer to Noe and if a chance to be with Hiromi is presented could come to the realization that Hiromi isn't who he wants to be with. At least not going to surprise me if there is a breakup (be it permanent or temporary) with Shin and Noe.

Don't see much of a bright future with Jun and Hiromi. What guy, just walk around and announce things rather than having any question attached. Do wonder what that guy is thinking. Wonder if he has picked up on things with Hiromi and Shin. Since if he did why push the dating Noe thing? If it doesn't work out she is just going to be really upset.

Anyways some good lighthearted moments. Like when Shin approached Noe with the lunch topic and she made a break for it. The whole chasing scene was just good laughs for me. Plus that incredibly long blush from Noe was pretty nice as well.
Jun is Shin'inchiro's kryptonite when hes around his nice guy powers "FAIL"
Old 2008-02-21, 08:32   Link #205
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Loved The Ep....But The Ending
Three Girl in Love With The same Guy...
I Want To See More...I'll Be Witting For The Next Ep...^^
Old 2008-02-21, 09:08   Link #206
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Shinichiro isn't really a nice guy... he doesn't go out of his way to help old ladies cross the street or save cats from trees, or help fix peoples problems... hes just a normal teenager.
Old 2008-02-21, 09:09   Link #207
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Jun is Shin'inchiro's kryptonite when hes around his nice guy powers "FAIL"
That is a good one! Hopefully he gets himself a lead suit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Shinichiro isn't really a nice guy... he doesn't go out of his way to help old ladies cross the street or save cats from trees, or help fix peoples problems... hes just a normal teenager.
He is not a "nice guy", he is a "good boy" and there is a big difference between a good boy and a nice guy. Nobuse is a nice guy, If the roles were reversed, and Aiko was in love with Nobuse and she was dating Shin. Shin would not have stopped Aiko from telling him the she was in love with Nobuse, he probably would never had put it together like nobuse did.

A nice guy would never had fallen for Jun's "deal". Nice guys are door mats for women but they will not back up to anyguy, they have courage. The "good boy" is a front that people put to do what is expected of them, but it is not their real personality.

Aiko fell in love with the real Shin, because he doesn't put a front with her or even with Nobuse. I think Shin only puts the "good boy" mask with the people that live in the household and other adults. Noe also knows the real Shin, Hiromi know the real shin from before she came to the household. As you can see, all the girls have fallen for the real Shin. His good boy act is what causes him to do what he has done. He put his good boy mask to convince himself that he likes Noe.

The interesting thing is, if Shin will now continue acting like himself with Noe or if he will be a "good boy" with her and if Noe will notice his change. One example of his good guy problem, Shin doesn't really want to do the dancing, but he being a good boy, he keeps doing it. He complains about It to aiko and about not wanting to do it or not being good about it in episode 1, but he is still doing it.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-02-21 at 12:53. Reason: please use the "edit" button instead of double posting
Old 2008-02-21, 11:32   Link #208
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Talking about 'good boy' again, if I had to put the characters in D&D terms...

Shin = Lawful Good
The Paladin (aka. 'good boy') alignment. Helping the stranger out of the tree? Helping her with her 'chicken' problem? Giving up his 'love' because he thinks the one his interested in is in love with someone else? Sounds like a 'good' character to me. Him still sticking to the dancing thing despite him not really liking it? Being half compelled to keep his end of the bargain with Jun? Sounds like lawful to me.

Some might argue that he's going against his mom's wishes, but he does have support from his dad.

But I don't really see it so much as a 'persona' as it is his true self, to tell the truth though. He really is a 'good boy'; only problem is he's letting it get in the way of pursuing Hiromi. Sometimes you just have to throw away your values and beliefs and just go for the woman you want, lol.

Jun = Lawful Evil
Nice contrast actually to Shin (another reason why I don't want him to die, unlike a certain other recurring character in KimiKiss). He's not evil like 'I will kill this guy for the lulz', but he will do anything to achieve the ends he wants, without regard for other people's feelings. Lawful because he seems to be a BIG stickler for promises, and uses this often as a weapon of sorts.

Hiromi = Lawful Neutral
Why does she do some of the brewery work, despite being treated like shit by the mom? From my impression, she does it out of 'repayment', as despite the mom's cruel treatment, she still feels obligated to this family as they still took her in. Doesn't seem to be inclined helping others though, nor is she thoroughly selfish like Jun, so neutral on the other axis.

Noe= Chaotic Neutral
The whimsical weird girl who makes no sense half the time? Typical true chaotic character lol. Interestingly enough, she's as much as a foil to Hiromi's character as Jun is to Shin, even if we don't take alignment into account.

Nobuse= Neutral Good
Ahh yes, the true good character (aka the nice guy). Can't think bad of almost anyone, and puts his friends first and foremost. If there's anyone you'd like to be acquainted with, it would be people like these. Last episode, if it did not do anything else to his character, it enforced this.

Aiko= True Neutral
At first, I didn't know what to think of her alignment, as I honestly can't seem to see any shifts in any of the axis. I was going to put a '???' at first, but then I realized me not being to categorize her despite her having decent amount of screentime puts her in the true neutral category. Might change in the future, but that's how I see it at the moment.

Shin's Mom= Lawful Neutral
While a lot of people might see her actions against Hiromi as evil, even neutral characters do evil things to those who wrong them or who they hate. And she does feel some guilt even against those who she hates, as evident from the last episode where it looks as if she's almost apologetic to Hiromi.

She is lawful for sure, since she's very meticulous in keeping everything in the status quo. From wanting Shin to inherit the brewery to wanting Hiromi not walking with Shin because she's afraid of 'what the neighbours will think', she's of the Japanese mindset through and through. (Case people are wondering, Japanese society values and beliefs are most akin to Lawful Neutral)

Oddly enough, despite sharing the same alignment, she doesn't get along with Hiromi. But really, it's not so much that is a result of different ways of thinking but rather what happened in the past. I get the feeling that if the past was 'erased', Shin's mom would've loved to have a daughter like Hiromi.

And that's all the characters who have had a lot of screentime. Shin's dad and Hiromi's friend don't get nearly enough for me to have a good grasp on their personalities.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-02-21, 14:00   Link #209
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Actually, I think Shin is more or less a nice guy in addition to his GB nature. His natural impulse is usually to be good - that's one reason why he fell for Hiromi, because he was appalled at the injustice she was suffering. Some of the sense of dutiful responsibility he feels comes from a genuine desire to do the right thing. It's just that he's also a frustrated teenager and sometimes he wishes he could be bad, and that confusion drives him to be less nice at times.

In general I certainly support the notion that not all Good Boys are nice guys. Takeuchi from BGI, for example, is a classic Good Boy but he certainly isn't a nice guy...
Old 2008-02-22, 03:59   Link #210
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

So Ai basically shot herself on her foot with all these blunt approaches.

Noe, to me, seems too childish to really get Shin's attention. Yes, I agree it was touching, but as far as serious romance goes, I don't really hold Shinichiro's word to t hat.

Then that leaves to Hiromi who is too entangled with Noe's brother for all the wrong reasons as I see it.

As far as I'm concerned, these are like three huge brick walls. Unless Shinichiro does the somewhat/kinda/sorta sensible thing and get hitched with Ai.
Old 2008-02-22, 08:11   Link #211
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

So this esp seems like a confession esp to me...

Wow... getting interesting...
Old 2008-02-22, 08:16   Link #212
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Actually, I think Shin is more or less a nice guy in addition to his GB nature. His natural impulse is usually to be good - that's one reason why he fell for Hiromi, because he was appalled at the injustice she was suffering. Some of the sense of dutiful responsibility he feels comes from a genuine desire to do the right thing. It's just that he's also a frustrated teenager and sometimes he wishes he could be bad, and that confusion drives him to be less nice at times.

In general I certainly support the notion that not all Good Boys are nice guys. Takeuchi from BGI, for example, is a classic Good Boy but he certainly isn't a nice guy...
You are either a nice guy or a good boy. You can't be both, Nice guy is a personality, Good boy is a mindset[it is not the real guys personality]. Most people that are good boys are bullied, You will never see a nice guy being bullied. What is happening to Shin, what Jun is doing to him is a type of bullying if you think about it. An example of a good boy is Fuyuki-kun from Minamike-okawari,
two examples of a nice guy are Kai from Kimikiss, and Hosaka from Minamike-okawari.

The good boy type is a role that is hardly used in anime,so it is hard to find many characters with that type of role. Nice guys you find almost in every anime, Most male protagonist are nice guys,
Even Makoto from school days "STARTED" as a nice guy, he was the exemption, a nice guy going bad. Notice that in anime Nice guys can and will get the girl/girls if they are the protagonist!
If they are not the protagonist their chances of getting with the girl is VERY low.
Old 2008-02-22, 17:22   Link #213
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Almost EVERY Harem lead is a good boy.... >_>.... actually I can get away with saying EVERY, and not add the almost to it.
Old 2008-02-22, 17:51   Link #214
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The facial expressions in this show are terrific. The way we see Ai's complete thought process when she gets the phone call from Miyokichi (ep7, around 10:35-10:50) is just great: disappointment, inspiration, pondering, feeling a bit cruel, determination, and maybe some shades in between.

Good discussion of facial expressions in this show in the "stone and small ripple" blog, as mentioned in a good piece in the "end of the world" blog.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-02-23, 01:30   Link #215
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I disagree - I think it's possible to be both a nice guy and a good boy, or neither. Good boy is a front, sure - but it doesn't always belie the man underneath. For example (CAPS indicate extreme case)

True tears:

Shin: GOOD BOY/NICE GUY
Nobuse: bad boy/nice guy

BGI:

Yano: BAD BOY/nice guy
Takeuchi: GOOD BOY/evil guy

Yano, for example, is a nice guy at heart who has been driven to being a thoughtless jerk at times due to the tragic circumstances in his life. But he's still basically nice, though by no means a "good boy".
Old 2008-02-23, 01:48   Link #216
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I disagree - I think it's possible to be both a nice guy and a good boy, or neither. Good boy is a front, sure - but it doesn't always belie the man underneath. For example (CAPS indicate extreme case)

True tears:

Shin: GOOD BOY/NICE GUY
Nobuse: bad boy/nice guy

BGI:

Yano: BAD BOY/nice guy
Takeuchi: GOOD BOY/evil guy

Yano, for example, is a nice guy at heart who has been driven to being a thoughtless jerk at times due to the tragic circumstances in his life. But he's still basically nice, though by no means a "good boy".
Takeuichi an evil guy? Where do you get that? Tell me a single act that Takuichi did that made him an evil guy? He kept that he met Yano at HIS request. Was he a evil guy because he was Yano's rival in love? Just by calling Takeuichi an evil guy you made your opinion completely unvalid.

Remember that the Goodboy syndrome is trait that causes the person to hide his real personality in order to comform with certain expectations of him. A true Nice guy doesn't care what people think of him. Nobuse is not a good boy. Why do you call Nobuse a bad boy, he is a very nice guy, he doesn't do anything a bad boy does (bad boys are usually delinquent or skip school, drink, are womanizer).

I thank you for the amuzing post though, gave a good laugh. A nice guy can have good or bad traits.

Ps
Yano is not a nice guy at all, he is a messed up guy. A nice guy will never have decided to leave his mother for a girl. IF I were to clasiffy Yano, he would be the bad boy type. In the latest Volumes of the manga Yano lives to the role of badboy.
Old 2008-02-23, 02:32   Link #217
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nobuse is a bad boy in the "scamp" sense - I read him as a bit of a wise-ass, a small-time prankster. Not a harmful bone in his body, really - but I don't imagine him to be the model citizen that Shin is. That's why he's a nice guy.
Old 2008-02-24, 20:41   Link #218
Eviltape

Just a quick episode comment in between the debate about those D&D terms. (nerds. ) This episode guarantees the obligatory trainwreck, and I'll be pointing and yelling like I did in Kiminozo Eien. Boredom-killer of the season: True Tears.
Old 2009-07-05, 11:25   Link #219
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

true tears still ranks one of my favorite anime ever. Episode 7 still ranks as one of my favorite episodes of any anime, and definitely my favorite episode of the entire series. I will never forget how I felt when Shin confessed to Noe and Noe's reaction. And the kiss from Aiko really finished off the episode really well for me.